PDA

View Full Version : I have a recruiting question

jreed13
11/14/2005, 02:34 PM
What are the intangibles that make an offensive lineman? Other than stats what is there to it? A really good friend of mine is:

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 350
Benches: 405
Squats: 625
40: 5.5
Shuttle: 5.1
Gpa: 2.5

and most importantly has no off the field issues and has great character and a passion for the game.

So back to my question. What to the big time coaches look for in lineman? I know for a fact the kid can start for "a" 1A program but what would determine his chances of playing for "a good" 1A program (i.e. Texas, OU, LSU etc?) I'd really appreciate any serious feedback.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/14/2005, 03:30 PM
things that coaches look at...

footwork - is he light on his feet? is he able to adjust his feet so that he always has maximum leverage?

work ethic - is he in semi-good shape? does he have passion for getting better? does he go through footwork drills at full speed or half speed? does he take plays off? is he dominating smaller competition?

frame - does he have a frame that can get stronger without getting heavier?

jreed13
11/14/2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks

FULLSTERKUR
11/15/2005, 01:17 AM
I think they would like to see more speed. maybe not expect it but if he had the same stats and ran a 4.9 to 5.0 forty ,even though OL never run 40's, there would be coaches hoping all over him. I also here line coaches always talk about a "mean streak" you know. Their always looking for some ****ed off disposition.

But really it is all about hype with an OL guy. the more they are exposed to him the better the OL look to certain coaches. Basically the OL recruit needs to be big enough, fire off quick to be in the right postion of leverage and geographically speaking and they will win most thier battles. so the more HS hype you friend can get, the better.

jreed13
11/15/2005, 02:03 AM
He already has a full ride to a 1A school I was just wondering if he could go to a better one. I know OU is thin on lineman but thats probably far from reality

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/15/2005, 02:11 AM
He already has a full ride to a 1A school I was just wondering if he could go to a better one. I know OU is thin on lineman but thats probably far from reality

i think the biggest issue that i can see with an OU is that he is way too heavy for his size to survive the conditioning. trust me, 100+ degree summers running and schmidt working you extra hard to get you to lose weight, you have to be crazy dedicated to get it done.

his strength (assuming he isn't an arch bencher) is really good for his size and that alone might be enough to get a high D1 offer. to go to an OU, he has to prove is that he has great inside mauler balance, a very quick 2 step burst (for reach blocks and pulls) and field awareness. i can't emphasize the last enough because to me its the most lacking thing we have on our OL. they just don't sense blitzes and improvise to stop them. dropping about 15 lbs in the next 2 months wouldn't hurt either ;)

jreed13
11/15/2005, 02:18 AM
JKM your awesome. thanks. Thanks Fullstreker for the help too.

OU_Sooners75
11/16/2005, 11:56 PM
6'3 350?

I could see it if he was 6'7 350...but 6'3?

To make him a better commodity he would have to shed about 50 pounds of fat, and then gain about 10-20 pounds of muscle.

His footwork is key though, not the 40 speed so much. His speed will increase with time, if he is as dedicated as you say he is.

The shuttle time is kinda slow as well. The shuttle is a good time that the guy could work on. OL do not run 15+ yards down the field, so he should keep that in mind.

How is his handwork as well?

Is he able to block DL and LBs without them getting in close to him?

If he can pass block good, then the run blocking will take care of itself, and should have already, considering out of HS most OL are used to run blocking most of the time.

What position? Tackle, if so, he really needs to work on his footwork...they should be the fastest and best one on one blockers on the line since in a lot of Offensive schemes, the Tackles are left on an island, or pulling a lot more than guards and centers.

Scott D
11/17/2005, 12:17 AM
yeah I'm thinking at 6'3" you'd be shooting for a target of no more than 320

jreed13
11/17/2005, 02:59 AM
More like 6'3" and 3/4ths to get technical (not that it makes much difference). He's going to play either guard or DT in the "conference USA" as of right now. At his height, he wont play OT.

OU_Sooners75
11/17/2005, 09:07 AM
More like 6'3" and 3/4ths to get technical (not that it makes much difference). He's going to play either guard or DT in the "conference USA" as of right now. At his height, he wont play OT.

He should still drop about 50 pounds and work his *** off to gain 20 pounds of muscle.

He probably would have been to a BCS D1a if he didnt weigh 350....waaaaay to large for his height!

Also, if he were to lose that weight and gain muscle in return, he would see a faster shuttle and faster 40 times.

If he truly wants to transfer to a team like OU, he would have to show more self discipline, smitty wouldnt put up with it.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/17/2005, 12:36 PM
dude, this isn't some random recruit you are talking about, this is someone's friend.

also, lose 50 lbs of fat and gain 20 lbs of muscle? have you seen the kid or are you just assuming? what if he just needs to lose 20-30 lbs to be at optimum size?

as for schmidty, he is just a psychological sadist...

Eielson
11/17/2005, 04:31 PM
if he were 6'6'' he would be going to OU. That is if all the other things like tecnique and stuff like that were good. Curtis Bailey is 355 runs a 5.8 benches 275 and squats 460 and he is considering Texas, USC, and OU. Texas and USC didn't offer him though.

OU_Sooners75
11/17/2005, 05:27 PM
dude, this isn't some random recruit you are talking about, this is someone's friend.

also, lose 50 lbs of fat and gain 20 lbs of muscle? have you seen the kid or are you just assuming? what if he just needs to lose 20-30 lbs to be at optimum size?

I worked as an assistant Coach, and had to recruit...trust me...350 at 6'3 isnt solid muscle.

Im 6'6 and weighed 300 going into college, I ended up losing 30 pounds of fat and gained 35 in muscle over 2 years.

If i offended the kid, sorry, but the truth is the truth...he should shed 50 pounds and gain 10-20 back in muscle.

jreed13
11/18/2005, 12:08 AM
if he were 6'6'' he would be going to OU. That is if all the other things like tecnique and stuff like that were good. Curtis Bailey is 355 runs a 5.8 benches 275 and squats 460 and he is considering Texas, USC, and OU. Texas and USC didn't offer him though.

Its stuff like that that got me thinking about this in the first place.

jreed13
11/18/2005, 12:14 AM
I worked as an assistant Coach, and had to recruit...trust me...350 at 6'3 isnt solid muscle.

heh, never claimed it was solid muscle... not at all. He does bench and squat a whole lot. (and he doesnt arch either).

If i offended the kid, sorry, but the truth is the truth...he should shed 50 pounds and gain 10-20 back in muscle.

I have made it a point not to bring to his attention that there is an internet forum with 350 views discussing how he needs to loose weight trust me. He is well aware of the fact that he needs to slim down and is taking all the right steps as far as im concerned. (ie: personal trainer, taking supplements/fat burners, no more carbonated drinks/fatty foods, lots of cardio/lifting daily). He also has his grades in order and is enrolling in the spring. I dont even know if he needs to gain all that much more muscle. He certainly has the fraim to put on a lot more (TRUST ME) but he is already stronger than most of the preps out there anyway. He just needs to shed some pounds.

jreed13
11/18/2005, 12:16 AM

With his frame, I think he should be around 320. I'm no expert by any means though. Im pretty sure hes shooting for 305-315 range.

sooner13f
11/18/2005, 08:56 AM
jreed13, can he block...Thats all I care about. How about a walk on. Works for Nebraska every year. I mean if he shows up somewhere and can play they will give him a scholly.

jreed13
11/18/2005, 11:55 AM
jreed13, can he block...Thats all I care about. How about a walk on. Works for Nebraska every year. I mean if he shows up somewhere and can play they will give him a scholly.

I guess he can block. Im no expert so I couldnt point out the finer details. People don't usually get around him.(He also lined up at Fullback for a couple tds to a la the fridge). I know that he wouldn't want to walk on somewhere (and possibly not get a scholarship) when a 1a school is already offering him a package deal.