PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma City=NBAtown

Harry Beanbag
11/10/2005, 10:04 AM
I just heard on the top of the hour update on a local sports radio station that David Stern has announced that OKC has moved to the top of the list as a destination for a moving team. Season ticket sales for the Hornets is up to 6th in the league now.

I can't stand the NBA, but if this happened I would have to start watching it again.

msteudem
11/10/2005, 02:59 PM
After going to the Hornet's game last night I am hooked for sure. I hope we get to keep them.

chriscappel
11/10/2005, 03:09 PM
Bout time we get something. Every since we got passed up on the NHL I was beginning to wonder....

ucosooner
11/10/2005, 04:36 PM
I was at the game last night, and was very impressed. The team is young, but not bad, and the crowd was into it. As the biggest Bulls fan in Oklahoma, I hope the Hornets stay. I think they are now my 2nd favorite team.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/11/2005, 12:07 PM
The NHL did OKC favors...

NHL will not be viable in the U.S. after the stupid strike. Only Candaians care about the NHL.

Herr Scholz
11/11/2005, 02:13 PM
Is there a chance the Hornets will stay there? I thought they were returning to New Orleans by the end of this season.

Phil
11/11/2005, 02:23 PM
Odds are very good that they will announce a second season in OKC as soon as January.

Herr Scholz
11/11/2005, 03:44 PM
Odds are very good that they will announce a second season in OKC as soon as January.
Really. That would be great for you guys.

Big Red Ron
11/11/2005, 10:19 PM
There is a group in OKC that has already put on offer on the table that will make them the majority owners. I'll be surprised if the Hornets leave after the two seasons here (Super Dome won't reopen in time for next season).

GDC
11/11/2005, 11:09 PM
I can't stand the NBA, and even if this happened I wouldn't start watching it

fixed

GrapevineSooner
11/13/2005, 01:49 AM

NHL will not be viable in the U.S. after the stupid strike. Only Candaians care about the NHL.

Where is this Candaia that you speak of? ;)

And BTW, I respectfully disagree about the NHL not being viable in the U.S. They'll still have their hardcore fans in certain U.S. markets.

I doubt we'll see the NHL rival the NFL, MLB, or NBA in TV ratings. But it's a stretch to say the NHL is done in the U.S.

jeremy885
11/16/2005, 04:03 PM

I thought the Blazer fanatics got this killed?

Jimminy Crimson
11/16/2005, 04:24 PM
I thought the Blazer fanatics got this killed?

The Blazer fans kept the IHL out of OKC, which turned out to be a good move.

The Hornets are going to be in OKC next year for sure. They'll announce it soon.

Scott D
11/16/2005, 05:55 PM
Where is this Candaia that you speak of? ;)

And BTW, I respectfully disagree about the NHL not being viable in the U.S. They'll still have their hardcore fans in certain U.S. markets.

I doubt we'll see the NHL rival the NFL, MLB, or NBA in TV ratings. But it's a stretch to say the NHL is done in the U.S.

especially since attendance is way up over the 03-04 season. I find it ironic when people from decidedly rural states rip the NHL...a majority of the players on the teams you'd mistake for your neighbors in the way they carry themselves and lack of primadonna attitude that you get out of MLB, NBA, and even some NFL players.

Sooner Pride
11/16/2005, 05:57 PM
It would be great to see OKC get the Hornets for good. :)

CobraKai
11/16/2005, 06:18 PM
I wonder what the backlash would be from the mouth-breathing Woody Paige's of the media, assuming OKC does land the Hornets permanently?

Jimminy Crimson
11/16/2005, 06:38 PM
A majority of the media doesn't know the facts about what they write/spew (Loopika, Woody, etc). It'd just be another business decision...

I can't believe Houston STOLE ConocoPhillips from Oklahoma! :mad: :rolleyes:

Woody can SUCK IT!

bringit
11/18/2005, 06:04 PM
Kinda like the honeymoon phase of a marriage.... really good attendance, excitement, etc., for a while but what about longterm support for the NBA when the Hornets or whomever lose all the time? I think OKC is a risky proposition for any investor.

OU_Sooners75
11/18/2005, 06:51 PM
Kinda like the honeymoon phase of a marriage.... really good attendance, excitement, etc., for a while but what about longterm support for the NBA when the Hornets or whomever lose all the time? I think OKC is a risky proposition for any investor.

Why do you say that?

Oklahoma has proven to be very loyal to its sports teams.

CHL, one of the highest attendance in the CHL.
AAA Baseball, one of the highest attendance.

People in Oklahoma have very little to do, It would be an investors dream to have a franchise call OKC home!

chriscappel
11/18/2005, 07:09 PM
I think it would be cool to come home for a change and see a NBA game since I have never been to one. I do hope OK finally gets something. Then maybe we won't be considered "low class".

Big Red Ron
11/18/2005, 08:25 PM
Well, OKC isn't New York but anyone who has been around knows OKC is not even close to "low class." As a matter of fact OKC is considered an up an coming and emerging city.

OKC and sports is a risk? Wow. Oklahoma sold over 150,000 tickets to major sporting events last Saturday, in one day.

GDC
11/18/2005, 09:07 PM
Tulsa's getting Major League Soccer possibly.

Big Red Ron
11/18/2005, 09:14 PM
Tulsa's getting Major League Soccer possibly.Cool.

GDC
11/18/2005, 09:22 PM
Cool.

City may net soccer team
By P.J. LASSEK World Staff Writer
11/18/2005

Major League Soccer play would be 'fantastic' for Tulsa, the mayor says
Tulsa is again one of several cities being considered for a Major League Soccer team, Mayor Bill LaFortune confirmed Thursday.

The Tulsa World has learned that a national sports agency that owns a franchise is interested in bringing a team to Tulsa.

"I've always believed an MLS franchise for Tulsa would be a fantastic thing and would be strongly supported by the city," LaFortune said.

The city and soccer league officials have in recent years discussed locating a team in Tulsa. LaFortune said an MLS franchise would be great for the city because it would give Tulsa a major league sports team and enhance economic development.

He said a professional sports team would be another amenity that Tulsa could market to outside companies. It also would help to attract and retain businesses and jobs, "which is very important for Tulsa."

"It's also a fantastic, family oriented sport and league. MLS is a sport which fosters that family friendly atmosphere. It's a perfect fit for Tulsa, which we know is a great place to raise a family," he said.

But, LaFortune said, the city still has the same hurdles that it faced when it was trying

to land a team two years ago, and the competition is stiff among the potential cities that MLS is considering for a franchise.

Other cities under consideration include Philadelphia, Cleveland, Milwaukee and Atlanta, according to an MLS-affiliated Web site.

Last week, Commissioner Don Garber said during the MLS Cup 2005 media luncheon that he expects the future of the Kansas City Wizards and San Jose Earthquakes to be resolved in 30 days.

Some media outlets have reported that the San Jose Earthquakes may relocate to Houston, leaving speculation about where the Kansas City franchise may go.

Potential investors from Tulsa also reportedly were present at the MLS luncheon.

LaFortune said the two strongest requirements Tulsa would have to meet if a franchise were to locate here are local ownership in a team and a soc cer-specific stadium.

He said discussions are under way with a number of potential local investors.

"But that's all they are -- discussions. Nothing is firmed up in any way," LaFortune said. "What's good is that at least we have people engaged in discussion and it's positive."

LaFortune said a soccer-specific stadium is a huge hurdle for the city. He emphasized there would be no attempt to go to the public for funding to build a stadium. But, he said, officials have analyzed funding options including a tax increment financing district.

In August, LaFortune confirmed that there have been serious talks about a proposed redevelopment project downtown that could include a sports stadium.

The proposed multiuse development is being considered in the East Village area. The 115-acre site sits within the Inner Dispersal Loop from Seventh Street to the Burlington Northern rail line between U.S. 75 and Detroit Avenue.

At that time, LaFortune talked about an initial draft of the 2006 third-penny sales tax extension, which included $20 million in infrastructure improvements that would encourage and accelerate development downtown.

LaFortune said Thursday that the $20 million has been removed from the estimated $425 million tax package that will go to voters.

"The removal of those dollars should not be taken as an indication that we would not have potentially some exciting announcements in the future regarding the redevelopment project," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.J. Lassek 581-8382
[email protected]

jeremy885
11/19/2005, 10:24 AM

I have to agree with you this. I hope it's not true, but I feel that OKC will lose interest in the NBA in a couple of years.

Big Red Ron
11/19/2005, 11:53 AM
I have to agree with you this. I hope it's not true, but I feel that OKC will lose interest in the NBA in a couple of years.I thought we'd lose interest in the blazers and yard dawgz (lets be honest who cares) but those teams enjoy huge success. The NBA is here to stay.

OU Adonis
11/19/2005, 01:37 PM
I think the fact that we had 17500 fans in the ford center when there was a blazers game going on the same night and a OU away game says a lot about how OKC can support a team.

Soonerus
11/19/2005, 01:52 PM
I have to agree with you this. I hope it's not true, but I feel that OKC will lose interest in the NBA in a couple of years.

NBA is different, I do not see OKC losing interest....