PDA

View Full Version : Dominique Franks Commits....

Mjcpr
11/7/2005, 04:37 PM
....to OU. Saw another board that it was reported on KREF.

Franks is the CB out of Tulsa Union. 5'11 1/2" 185lbs 4.44

jreed13
11/7/2005, 04:41 PM
Rivals isnt showing anything but if its true, thats great news!

Mjcpr
11/7/2005, 04:46 PM
I don't know if it is....just saw on another board that it was heard on a radio station here. I hope it is...we could use CBs.

http://mb12.scout.com/fouinsiderfrm1.showMessage?topicID=117316.topic

Scott D
11/7/2005, 06:21 PM
we might be set at corner if we can get Perrish Cox.

jreed13
11/7/2005, 06:21 PM
Im really excited about that Nelson kid we got. Cox would be an excellent addition.

Brasky7
11/7/2005, 06:58 PM
his commitment had alot to do w/ needing/wanting to stay close to his family... (from rivals)

sooner13f
11/7/2005, 08:17 PM
Man you guys are fast. I thought I would post this first. Great news. Scout is slow.

CoSooner
11/7/2005, 10:27 PM
Here is some info on him:
Dominique Franks
CB (6'0" 187)
Evaluation: Franks is a rangy, smooth cornerback that is a competent cover player and is also good in run support. He shows good quickness, footwork and speed. Has the fluid hips to turn and run, has the body control to adjust to the ball while it's in the air and is fast enough to stay with most receivers in the vertical passing game. Plays with a mean streak, has adequate strength and a nice frame to get bigger and stronger. Does a good job of getting hands into the receiver's frame and has the potential to be an excellent press corner. Possesses good change of direction skills, accelerates out of cuts and flashes the ability to blanket receivers underneath. Can plant and drive and shows good burst when attacking upfield. Franks does a nice job of shedding blocks, will break down in space and is also an adequate tackler that will wrap up upon contact.

Ruuuuuufus
11/7/2005, 10:49 PM
expect Franks to get a few more Oklahoma kids to come over as well. Sad story about his family though.

jreed13
11/7/2005, 10:55 PM
I hope he can get his teamate (that really good DE i forgot his name) to come with him

sooneron
11/8/2005, 07:18 PM
What is the story with his family?

GDC
11/8/2005, 09:20 PM
I think his stepfather and father both passed away recently.

GDC
11/8/2005, 09:23 PM
What is the story with his family?

'

Union player commits to OU
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
11/8/2005

View in Print (PDF) Format

NORMAN -- Family is important to Dominique Franks.

"You never know," Union High School's star cornerback said Monday night, "how long you're going to have them."

Franks may be young, but he knows that question all too well. His father, Bartee Franks, died Oct. 14. When he was a high school freshman, Franks' stepfather, Billy Martin, died.

That's why Franks decided over the weekend to verbally commit to play football at the University of Oklahoma.

"In case something happens in my family, I always want to be able to come home and give my support," Franks said. "I figured that it would be kind of selfish to go really far away."

Franks also said OU holds the strong allure of being able to play as a freshman next season. National recruiting services call him the state's top cornerback.

Franks is 5-foot-111/2, 185 pounds and reportedly runs the 40-yard dash in 4.44 seconds. He is rated a four-star prospect and the 13th-best cornerback in the nation by Scout.com, and a three-star prospect, No. 30 at his position, by Rivals.com.

Verbal commitments are nonbinding, and players can't

sign letters of intent until Feb. 1.

Union coach Bill Blankenship said Franks' cover skills are among the best he's ever coached.

"He's incredible," Blankenship said.

In one game this season, Franks touched the ball six times and scored three touchdowns. In another, he held prolific Sapulpa receiver Michael Cashon without a catch.

"He was on him most of the time," Blankenship said. "There were a few times we zoned him up. But we pretty much kept Dom on his side, at least in the area, most of the night."

The 9-1 Redskins start the postseason Friday night against 7-3 Owasso -- Franks' old school. He surpassed 1,000 rushing yards and averaged a state-best 12.4 yards per carry as a Ram sophomore, then, after a long discussion with his mother, Thelma Martin, transferred to Union.

"We came to the decision that I hadn't really gotten better," Franks said. "She told me that to prepare myself for college, I would have to fight every day for what I want. It came down to Union, Jenks and Broken Arrow, and I chose Union because I already had friends there."

Franks took an official visit to Texas Tech last weekend. He reportedly had some three dozen offers, but didn't have one from OU until late October, Blankenship said.

In the last two weeks, the Sooners have received verbal commitments from two in-state players who had committed elsewhere. Ada lineman Chad Roark decided not to go to Florida State, as Comanche linebacker Brandon Crow did with Texas Tech.

OU assistant Kevin Wilson, speaking in mid-October primarily about offensive linemen, said the Sooners' recruiting strategies have been altered some. Positions across the board have been affected by alarming attrition in three straight classes. From 2001 to '03, 47 percent of OU's incoming re cruits left early.

"We're re-evaluating all the local guys again and making a pitch at the national guys," Wilson said. "We want to make sure guys want to be here. That way, if it is frustrating or difficult (for a player), he wants to be here, he'll hang in there and then a year later he will end up being a good player for us."

Said Blankenship, "I know part of it is they've just had a national emphasis on their recruiting, but they just haven't taken a lot of Oklahoma kids lately. Hopefully, they're good enough, like Dom, to stay in-state."

The timing of Franks' commitment was surprising, Blankenship said.

"He just kind of made it clear to me that he was going to probably play this thing out," Blankenship said. "So it really kind of took me by surprise. But he seemed to be absolutely solid when he talked to me (Monday)."

Said Franks, "I kind of wanted to take my time in making my decision, but I felt in my heart that was the right place for me."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected]

bigdsooner
11/9/2005, 01:52 AM
heard the interview today. dude is sharp, he said his dad prolly would have wanted him to go to the acc. glad hes a Sooner , i just hope he gets some p/t :rolleyes: