PDA

View Full Version : When AD is a Senior...

Reno
11/4/2005, 08:57 PM
assuming he sticks around that long...

Just thinking about his supporting cast gives me chills.

Rhett Bomar
Malcolm Kelly
Juaquin Iglesias
Quentin Chaney
Lendy Holmes
Jacob Gutierrez
Joe John Finley
George "Duke" Robinson
Eric Huggins
DJ Wolfe
Demarcus Granger
Nic Harris
Ryan Reynolds
Lamont Robinson
Keenan Clayton
Reggie Smith
Curtis Lofton
Marcus Walker
Demarrio Pleasant

To name a few. 2007 looks like an awefully good year for the Sooners. Not all these guys are going in the first round, but all have the "next level" talent. The future looks bright fellow Sooners.

Boomer Sooner!

OUGreg723
11/4/2005, 09:09 PM
yes it does!! Even if adrian doesnt stick around, we will have great running back play. Gute will be a senior, we will have big time recruits at RB as well. AD or no AD it is going to be a great season. I just hope none of our O-lineman quit... then we'll be great.

josh09
11/4/2005, 09:24 PM
i think that he will stick around, cuz he wants this season back.

ucosooner
11/4/2005, 09:28 PM
He's gone. You don't pass up money like that.

BillyBall
11/4/2005, 10:00 PM

Unless your name is Matt Leinart, Peyton Manning, Cedric Benson, The Fake Roy Williams......

Inflation adjusted of course.

Harris County Sooner
11/4/2005, 10:12 PM

yup, what would be his senior year will be a rookie year in the NFL.

Soonerus
11/4/2005, 10:13 PM
2007 National Champions !!!!!

oumartin
11/4/2005, 10:15 PM
you cannot buy a new house with a national championship.. Unless your Bob

CatfishSooner
11/4/2005, 10:47 PM
alum buy...

Hublah
11/4/2005, 10:58 PM
We would be very lucky if he sticks around!!
But dont hold your breath!

westcoast_sooner
11/5/2005, 12:52 AM
While I like the list of players - that's a lot of assumptions. I would expect that the cast would change between now and 2007, since there will be some players that leave, some that show some flash this year, and we never hear from them again, and others that step in when they get some opportunity.

I think that this year's young guys are forming the nucleus of another great Sooner team. They've shown heart, and developed a lot of character in the face of adversity during the first part of the season. We've got a 3 game winning streak, and a chance to finish well - going into a bowl game.

For all the naysayers, who thought after the game in Big-D that we would be lucky to go bowling this year, and who thought we didn't stand a chance to Nebraska, think about how the players have responded to the coaching, and to the fans. You have to admit that we're seeing some incredible development, improvement every week, in these kids. The TCU loss is perhaps the most difficult to accept. But I think that through this adversity, these guys are learning how to fight, and earn victories, and that will be a good thing down the road.

Let's not assume a National Championship in 2007, but I think we can look forward to some really good Sooner football.

mrssoonerhubler
11/5/2005, 01:17 AM
hopefully he stays

RedstickSooner
11/5/2005, 01:42 AM
Another interesting roster note (which has probably been pointed out elsewhere, but which I hadn't read before anywhere else)

The heftiest dude on the roster and the skinniest dude on the roster share a last name. David Robinson at 138 pounds, and George Robinson at 1,436 (well, actually, 360).

BoomerJack
11/5/2005, 09:52 AM
If someone told me in July, '05 that Adrian Peterson would be in a Sooner uni for the '07 season I would have told them they were nuts. That he would go to the NFL after a stellar three year career and possibly a Heisman trophy. But like one of the above posters said, I think he may want to get this season back. Another factor, of course, is how our beloved Sooners fare in the MNC picture next season. If OU wins it and Peterson believes his NFL stock will be high enough, he'll pass up '07 for the big payday.

SoCal
11/5/2005, 10:19 AM
Unless your name is Matt Leinart, Peyton Manning, Cedric Benson, The Fake Roy Williams......

Peyton Manning played his Senior year...1994-97

MamaMia
11/5/2005, 10:46 AM
If I see him AD the team hotel, I'll get him off to the side and ask him if hes planning to stay for his senior year, or go pro.

I doubt he'll give me a straight answer but when kids try to bambuzzle this ole granny, I can see right through it. ;)

BillyBall
11/5/2005, 11:32 AM
Peyton Manning played his Senior year...1994-97

All of them did, which is my point...... :confused:

Jeopardude
11/5/2005, 11:43 AM

One difference is these guys didn't struggle through ninth grade or lose a starting assignment for skipping class their sophomore year. My guess is AD has absolutely no interest in a degree or class and will leave ASAP.

Of course, he might turn his attitude around. I hear Chijoke Onyenegecha has shaped up and is a good student now. Or maybe he could pull a Leinart and take ballroom dancing as his one class for the semester.

Reno
11/5/2005, 07:19 PM
It comes down to what he wants to accomplish as Sooner. If he feels satisfied with what he left behind he'll go pro. If not he will be back to cement his legacy.

That is unless Rosenhaus gets his hooks in him.

mrssoonerhubler
11/6/2005, 03:05 PM
I see next year as his Heisman Season.

RedstickSooner
11/6/2005, 04:19 PM
I would *love* to get AD for four full years, but I just don't see it happening. Stoops has a history of telling kids to go pro early if it's in their best interest. He's not like Brown and Carol who'll muscle the kid into staying, risking a career ending injury for the benefit of the team (and the coach).

NFL careers are finite in length. If a player is *ready* for the NFL, and is in a position where he'll clearly be well-drafted, getting him to stay in college another year means you're sacrificing a full year of his earning/playing time as a pro -- and in the case of top-drawer talent, that's, what, a $5 million sacrifice, minimum?

Stoops would never ask a kid to give up millions at a minimum, and possibly risk his entire future, just to help Stoops and our team out. It's bad advice to the kid -- and Stoops is too proud of his father-figure role with the players to ever give them bad advice.

You have to be a ********* like Pete Carrol or McBrown to give kids lousy, self-serving advice like that. Still, there's times when I'll admit that I wish Stoops wasn't such an upstanding dude. Another season of TRRW would have been wicked awesome.

Salt City Sooner
11/6/2005, 04:44 PM
"NFL careers are finite in length."
ESPECIALLY at RB. While as a Sooner fan, I'd rejoice at him staying, as an objective fan as I could possibly be, I'd have to question his sanity. He is a top 5 pick at WORST, & most of the early projections that I've seen have had him as the TOP pick. You simply can't risk that kind of future, especially when you play a position that takes a pounding like a RB does. This is a guy setting himself & his family up for life we're talking about.

sooneron
11/6/2005, 05:30 PM
NO WAY he stays...

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/6/2005, 05:42 PM
I would *love* to get AD for four full years, but I just don't see it happening. Stoops has a history of telling kids to go pro early if it's in their best interest. He's not like Brown and Carol who'll muscle the kid into staying, risking a career ending injury for the benefit of the team (and the coach).

NFL careers are finite in length. If a player is *ready* for the NFL, and is in a position where he'll clearly be well-drafted, getting him to stay in college another year means you're sacrificing a full year of his earning/playing time as a pro -- and in the case of top-drawer talent, that's, what, a $5 million sacrifice, minimum?

Stoops would never ask a kid to give up millions at a minimum, and possibly risk his entire future, just to help Stoops and our team out. It's bad advice to the kid -- and Stoops is too proud of his father-figure role with the players to ever give them bad advice.

You have to be a ********* like Pete Carrol or McBrown to give kids lousy, self-serving advice like that. Still, there's times when I'll admit that I wish Stoops wasn't such an upstanding dude. Another season of TRRW would have been wicked awesome.

I thought Stoops wanted kids to stay in college ? Or at least I thought he tried to get Roy Williams to stay his senior season anyway ?

Salt City Sooner
11/6/2005, 06:13 PM
He told Roy to go pro.

jreed13
11/6/2005, 06:22 PM
Why does mack tell all his players to stay and stoops tell all his players to go?

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/6/2005, 06:23 PM
Why does mack tell all his players to stay and stoops tell all his players to go?
Is this a joke with a clever punchline?

Scott D
11/6/2005, 06:53 PM
I've been under the impression that the preference of this coaching staff is for the player's to stay, however they aren't going to get in their way if they decide to go pro.

re: Carroll in this regard....I think Leinart's family had a lot more to do with him staying than Carroll...and there have been players from USC whom have left early for the NFL during Carroll's stay.

Soonerred59
11/6/2005, 07:08 PM
I think we would all like to see AD stay, but I remember when he was a Heisman candidate and they interviewed him, he talked about his dad not getting out of prison until after he left OU and so would never get to see him play at the University of Oklahoma. I did the math and that would mean his leaving after his junior year and took that to mean that he will leave as soon as he can. I don't blame him, but I can see where he MIGHT want to stay one more year since this one has been such a wash for him. The kids has awsome talent and has had a a rough life, I say whatever is best for him... but I'd really like him to stay at OU!

Salt City Sooner
11/6/2005, 07:26 PM
Stoops does not tell all his players to go. He was very much against Jimmy Wilkerson leaving. Unfortunately, at the time, he didn't have a whole lot of choice due to his father's medical bills. It looks like things worked out though, even in spite of JW's low draft pick.

Reno
7/4/2007, 06:12 PM
uh huh!

uh... with the exception of bomar....

Reno
7/4/2007, 06:14 PM

critical_phil
7/4/2007, 06:16 PM
d00d, wtf.

it's a Reno sighting.

goingoneight
7/4/2007, 06:31 PM
Hmmm... Lendy's a DB, Huggins OUT, Bomar OUT, AD OUT...

and we still rule!!! :D

85sooners
7/4/2007, 07:23 PM
:eek:

LosAngelesSooner
7/5/2007, 01:20 AM
Dude, read my lips and take it to the bank, "There is NO WAY A.D. comes back for his Senior season. BOOK IT!"

josh09
7/5/2007, 11:28 PM
i believe you

goingoneight
7/5/2007, 11:41 PM
Dude, read my lips and take it to the bank, "There is NO WAY A.D. comes back for his Senior season. BOOK IT!"

Are you gonna go and predict a Heisman trophy in his future??? ;)

OU4LIFE
7/6/2007, 09:02 AM
I got to tell you guys, I think AD is gone.

I know the season hasn't started yet, but I really don't think he'll be back.

JohnnyMack
7/6/2007, 09:35 AM
I got to tell you guys, I think AD is gone.

I know the season hasn't started yet, but I really don't think he'll be back.

Thanks Nostradamus.

Reno
7/7/2007, 10:41 PM
God works in mysterious ways. And I hear he's doing well in minicamp too. It must be hard for him to juggle school and a professional career...

...yeah.

goingoneight
7/8/2007, 01:35 AM
[stupid USC fan] reggie gots paid and still played fo tha sc n**ga why cant ap? cuZ he a ***** [/stupid USC fan]

There you have it... OUr first SC fan immitation. :D

OU4LIFE
7/9/2007, 07:09 AM
Thanks Nostradamus.

I also think JohnnyMack is outta here...I know the season hasn't started yet, but I really think he's gone.

;)