PDA

View Full Version : anyone else find our new recruiting strategy interesting?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/3/2005, 05:16 PM
going back to evaluation picks from our back yard...

BillyBall
11/3/2005, 05:17 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I hope it pays the same dividends it did the last 5 years.

jreed13
11/3/2005, 05:22 PM
forgive my ignorance, but we are?

Scott D
11/3/2005, 07:17 PM
yeah, not just looking only at alleged 5 star players in state if looking at anyone in state at all.

jreed13
11/3/2005, 07:33 PM
like that LB that switched over from tech?

Scott D
11/3/2005, 07:37 PM
well technically you could argue him, roark, bradford etc..

a year ago those looks would have been for 3 out of state players that were 5 star ratings.

Recruiting's funny like that...it's looking good that we didn't get Fred Rouse because of the off the field problems he's been causing, however until he broke his arm Derrick Williams looked like a real huge non catch for us...I think he'll still end up that way, but it goes to show how hit and miss targetting is. Not as much as a Wes Welker or Garrett Mills shows it, but shows it fully nonetheless.

william_brasky
11/8/2005, 01:26 AM
I like it.

We've been getting too many prima donnas in the program the last few years. Look at the attrition we've experienced. Get some players in who want to wear the OU uniform.

Roark de-commits from FSU once we offer. Crow does the same thing with T Tech.

I tell you. I like it.

OU_Sooners75
11/8/2005, 02:14 AM
We need to look im MY backyard.

Rashawn Parker, DE, a stud. last i looked, he had 17 sacks in 8 games.

Josh Johnson...best RB in the state....grew up a Sooenr fan....but i dont think we are going after him hard, if at all.

Both of these guys are out of Ponca City, OK.

Do you think Stoops and company will land either of them, with this style of recruiting?

william_brasky
11/8/2005, 05:14 AM
I do wish we'd offer Josh Johnson.

Sooner_Bob
11/8/2005, 08:57 AM
Josh could definitely help out . . . but I do think it is nice that we are lookin' in state more.

OU_Sooners75
11/8/2005, 09:32 PM
Josh could definitely help out . . . but I do think it is nice that we are lookin' in state more.

He is my sons cousin, so i can tell you right now...if Stoops offers, then they will land him.

The only thing that wont is if someone offers and pays, say like tOSU.
LOL

anyway...he is a big time Sooner fan, and said he would love to play with AD for a year or two!

Sooner_Bob
11/8/2005, 09:33 PM
Cool . . . hopefully he'll be a Sooner . . .

CoSooner
11/8/2005, 10:09 PM
Our new recruiting strategy is simple, getting guys who what to play here.

OU assistant Kevin Wilson, speaking in mid-October primarily about offensive linemen, said the Sooners' recruiting strategies have been altered some. Positions across the board have been affected by alarming attrition in three straight classes. From 2001 to '03, 47 percent of OU's incoming re cruits left early.

"We're re-evaluating all the local guys again and making a pitch at the national guys," Wilson said. "We want to make sure guys want to be here. That way, if it is frustrating or difficult (for a player), he wants to be here, he'll hang in there and then a year later he will end up being a good player for us."

bigdsooner
11/9/2005, 01:45 AM
hell yeah i like it. lehman, calmus and white each won 2 of college footballs most prized trophies, kejuan has always been a stud, dan tha FUKKIN BEAST...all from oklahoma. dammit, people betta reconize that us F'n hillbillies got skill :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/9/2005, 02:21 AM
Our new recruiting strategy is simple, getting guys who what to play here.

OU assistant Kevin Wilson, speaking in mid-October primarily about offensive linemen, said the Sooners' recruiting strategies have been altered some. Positions across the board have been affected by alarming attrition in three straight classes. From 2001 to '03, 47 percent of OU's incoming re cruits left early.

"We're re-evaluating all the local guys again and making a pitch at the national guys," Wilson said. "We want to make sure guys want to be here. That way, if it is frustrating or difficult (for a player), he wants to be here, he'll hang in there and then a year later he will end up being a good player for us."

more like "we need guys that love this university so much they don't mind our prick conditioning coach".

Sooner in Tampa
11/9/2005, 06:30 AM
more like "we need guys that love this university so much they don't mind our prick conditioning coach".Isn't if a good thing to have a "prick conditioning coach?"

I vote yes.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/9/2005, 11:26 AM
Isn't if a good thing to have a "prick conditioning coach?"

I vote yes.

okay, then don't ever complain about why we have so much attrition...

Sooner in Tampa
11/9/2005, 11:52 AM
okay, then don't ever complain about why we have so much attrition...I try not too. I am just trying to point out that our strength and conditioning coach should push our players harder than any other coach on the staff.

SOONER_808/EyesofTexas
11/9/2005, 12:15 PM
Blah...OU could NEVER win anything without recruiting some TEXAS BLUE CHIPS

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/9/2005, 12:19 PM
TEXAS BLUE CHIPS

Was it really that important that you had to capitalize every letter ?

springs sooner
11/9/2005, 12:32 PM

dude no one said about thing about Texas. we are talking about Oklahoma kids you moron, now go back to taking orders at the drive thru, i think the line is getting backed up.

Mjcpr
11/9/2005, 01:16 PM
So what's Texas' excuse?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/9/2005, 01:19 PM
I try not too. I am just trying to point out that our strength and conditioning coach should push our players harder than any other coach on the staff.

there is a difference between pushing someone and be an absolute prick.

you see, telling someone that the pro day starts at 9:30 when it starts at 9 and then locking the doors so that the player can't get in and try out for the pros - that's being a prick.

singling out one QB out of 3 and then riding him into the ground because you don't like him. forcing him to transfer to a MW school because you think its funny - that's being a prick.

jreed13
11/9/2005, 01:21 PM
If it makes you feel any better about the situation the Bama strength and conditioning coach must not do much cause everyone on our team gets hurt :-/

Sooner in Tampa
11/9/2005, 01:21 PM

you see, telling someone that the pro day starts at 9:30 when it starts at 9 and then locking the doors so that the player can't get in and try out for the pros - that's being a prick.

singling out one QB out of 3 and then riding him into the ground because you don't like him. forcing him to transfer to a MW school because you think its funny - that's being a prick.I agree completely...I hadn't heard these stories. Why is this tolerated then?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/9/2005, 01:52 PM
If it makes you feel any better about the situation the Bama strength and conditioning coach must not do much cause everyone on our team gets hurt :-/

i remember when stoops said that our S & C is probably one of the reasons we don't have many torn ACLs. we've had a rash of them since then...

Scott D
11/9/2005, 02:18 PM
I try not too. I am just trying to point out that our strength and conditioning coach should push our players harder than any other coach on the staff.

so should he push all of them equally or push some of them hard, and give others a few breaks because of their 'rating' and 'status'?

Sooner04
11/9/2005, 02:19 PM
I agree completely...I hadn't heard these stories. Why is this tolerated then?
Schmidt has pictures of Bob and Mike Stoops kissing after the 2001 Orange Bowl.

On the lips.

With tongue.

jdsooner
11/9/2005, 02:20 PM
I think that if we get the major in-state players, we will have a successful recruiting class. Let's add Josh Johnson from Ponca, Gerald McCoy from Southeast, Derek Burton from Muskogee, Jermaine Gresham from Ardmore, Bubba Parker from Ponca, Chase Nelson from Union, and Mossis Madu from Norman to the 14 we already have. If we can add a couple of national stars to this, we are fine.

Harry Beanbag
11/9/2005, 03:31 PM
That appears to be the plan now. Of course the coaches may have been forced into it due to the subpar season not selling very well right now to national kids.

stoopified
11/9/2005, 03:35 PM
We need to look im MY backyard.

Rashawn Parker, DE, a stud. last i looked, he had 17 sacks in 8 games.

Josh Johnson...best RB in the state....grew up a Sooenr fan....but i dont think we are going after him hard, if at all.You said Rashawn you threw me fo a minute,He is better known to most as Bubba and last I heard he had 21 sacks in 10 games.He's aplayer as is LB Nick Shiltz who leads the 'Cats in tackles.
As for Josh, he is being recruited by OU.Coach Hanniford says that he (the coach)talks to Cale Gundy a couple of times a week.Each school is limited to the one call a week per recruit bout there is no limit on calls to the HS coach.Kid is great as player and person,hope we get him.

Both of these guys are out of Ponca City, OK.

Do you think Stoops and company will land either of them, with this style of recruiting? Josh is the REAL DEAL.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/9/2005, 04:45 PM
I think that if we get the major in-state players, we will have a successful recruiting class. Let's add Josh Johnson from Ponca, Gerald McCoy from Southeast, Derek Burton from Muskogee, Jermaine Gresham from Ardmore, Bubba Parker from Ponca, Chase Nelson from Union, and Mossis Madu from Norman to the 14 we already have. If we can add a couple of national stars to this, we are fine.

if i had a prima donna to choose for this class it would not be gresham

sooner13f
11/9/2005, 05:04 PM
if i had a prima donna to choose for this class it would not be gresham
From everything I hear, you may be right, but TE is a big need right now. So he may be the best that we can get this year. Ive been watching the TE positions close and I dont see anyone that is looking at OU unless there is another in-state kid I dont know about.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/9/2005, 05:14 PM
From everything I hear, you may be right, but TE is a big need right now. So he may be the best that we can get this year. Ive been watching the TE positions close and I dont see anyone that is looking at OU unless there is another in-state kid I dont know about.

there is always a good instate TE, the problem is you have to dig...

Sooner04
11/9/2005, 05:15 PM
From everything I hear, you may be right, but TE is a big need right now. So he may be the best that we can get this year. Ive been watching the TE positions close and I dont see anyone that is looking at OU unless there is another in-state kid I dont know about.People, please.

GRESHAM IS NOT A TIGHT END! HE HAS NEVER PLAYED A DOWN AT TIGHT END! HE DOES NOT KNOW HOW, NOR DOES HE LIKE TO, BLOCK!

Thank you.

jreed13
11/9/2005, 05:16 PM
But the recruiting experts at rivals said so :D

Mjcpr
11/9/2005, 05:16 PM
People, please.

GRESHAM IS NOT A TIGHT END! HE HAS NEVER PLAYED A DOWN AT TIGHT END! HE DOES NOT KNOW HOW, NOR DOES HE LIKE TO, BLOCK!

Thank you.
Are you saying we could move him to tackle?

;)

Scott D
11/9/2005, 05:37 PM
there is always a good instate TE, the problem is you have to dig...

somewhere out there is a tall fullback :D

jreed13
11/9/2005, 05:44 PM
I like joe john, and hes a converted QB

sooner13f
11/9/2005, 09:07 PM
People, please.

Thank you.
Ok. So......what are you saying? Just tell me what you really think.

TopDawg
11/10/2005, 10:47 AM
Who's that stud TE down in Ardmore? Any chance we get him?

GoOwls
11/11/2005, 05:33 PM
Mossis Madu could very well be the suprise of the class (if he signs). He's got game.

caphorns
11/14/2005, 12:44 PM
our prick conditioning coach

I thought this thread was about Oklahoma, not Colorado recruits.

Harry Beanbag
11/14/2005, 01:29 PM
I thought this thread was about Oklahoma, not Colorado recruits.

Damn, if you weren't a filthy horn I'd have to spek you for that. :D

mrowl
11/28/2005, 07:58 PM
recruiting = head hurts...

Is there some sort of noob guide? ;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/29/2005, 01:40 AM
Blah...OU could NEVER win anything without recruiting some TEXAS BLUE CHIPSGet out! You're trying to get us Sooner fans to pull for the suc in the Rose Bowl, aren't you? Dam*it, I want the suc win streak to stop. Don't make it impossible to pull for you sorry guys.

SoonerFaninAZ
11/30/2005, 10:16 AM

singling out one QB out of 3 and then riding him into the ground because you don't like him. forcing him to transfer to a MW school because you think its funny - that's being a prick.

Then, this says much more about the man in charge of the program than it does about the conditioning coach.

rainiersooner
12/1/2005, 01:49 PM
He is my sons cousin, so i can tell you right now...

Doesn't that make him your nephew? :)

mrowl
12/2/2005, 11:44 AM
maybe a dumb question, but a few people on a message board say Jerry Schmidt is an ahole about conditioning, but this is the only place I have ever heard it.

I haven't heard it from a player, or recruit... or media? or did I miss a quote somewhere?

And in 99, 2000, there was nothing but praise for Jerry, so why did it change?

Scott D
12/2/2005, 01:39 PM
I think it has something to do with the type of player we have now in relation to the type of player we had in 99, 2k.

FaninAma
12/2/2005, 02:55 PM
Maybe Schmitty has short man syndrome.

OU86
12/2/2005, 11:30 PM

If that's true, then certain other things, logically, must be true. First, JS is a complete psycho, to the point of making crazy mind games more of a priority than the good of the team, to the point that he's doing things that drive away players and harm the team's chances to win, even though JS's job ultimately depends on the team's winning.

Second, one of the following must also be true. Either (a) HCBS doesn't know about JS's antics, even though message board posters do or (b) he knows but doesn't care. If the original statement is true, then one of these MUST be true. The likelihood of any of these things being true suggests that the quoted portion is highly dubious at best or that the information is seriously incomplete and misleading, especially since, with respect to the QB in question, the player, the coaches, and the player's mom were quoted in some detail regarding the reason for his departure - all told the same story, none mentioned JS or any unhappiness over the player's treatment.

mrowl
12/3/2005, 10:35 AM
I think it has something to do with the type of player we have now in relation to the type of player we had in 99, 2k.

ahhh... the blue chip problem.

so now it goes back to player that REALLY want to be at OU.