PDA

View Full Version : Best Team In The NHL....

HoserSooner
11/3/2005, 11:21 AM
....so far has to be the Senators.

That team is just damn scary. They were good last season without Heatly and Hasek, but with the additions of those two, there just is not a better team from top to bottom this year.

The ONLY team that can compete with them in the East is Philly, and in a playoff series, Philly would be lucky to win one game.

With the new NHL rules allowing the speedy players room, Ottawa is going to be tough to stop.

And as a diehard Leafs fan, that sucks. :mad:

Scott D
11/3/2005, 11:31 AM
Ottawa 9-2-0-0
Detroit 12-1-0-0

I'm jus' sayin ;)

Otis Fitzhugh
11/3/2005, 12:25 PM
The Sens sure looked good last night. I just got Center Ice the other day so I haven't gotten a good look at too many teams yet.

Scott D
11/3/2005, 12:33 PM
Sens look dominant against other eastern conference teams because they are built more like a western conference team. The east teams still think they need to play pylon defense and hit hit hit...the Sens skate, and because of that they can score on the stiffs in the east. Only other team like that out there is probably Tampa, but losing Khabibulin to the Blackhawks didn't hurt...then again the way he's been playing in Chicago, maybe it was a good thing.

HoserSooner
11/3/2005, 12:37 PM
I think Ottawa was one of the few teams that did not need to do any restructuring of their rosters under the new CBA. The trading of Hossa to Atlanta for Heatley has been a steal so far.

I'd like to see what Ottawa can do against the West teams though.

Mind you, they still have NEVER gotten past Toronto in a playoff round after beating them soundly in the regular season.

Scott D
11/3/2005, 01:02 PM
I think a lot of that will depend on if the refs keep calling the things they're calling now. IF so, then I think Toronto would lose to Ottawa in the playoffs. Then again, a lot of the experts had written Detroit off because we couldn't 'buy' an 'all-star' roster with the cap.

HoserSooner
11/3/2005, 01:41 PM
I think you're right on that.

Toronto has always been able to out-muscle Ottawa in a 7-game series, minimizing thier speed. NOt only do the rules favor Ottawa now, but they've acquired toughness in McGratten, who took Domi to the woodshed on Saturday night. I haven't seen Domi beaten on like that since the Propert-Domi II many, many years ago.

JohnnyMack
11/3/2005, 01:49 PM
The worst part about last night is that I had Hossa on the bench in my fantasy league.

:(

Oh well, I had Visnovsky on my blue line, so I got 3 goals anyways.

Scott D
11/3/2005, 03:28 PM
I think you're right on that.

Toronto has always been able to out-muscle Ottawa in a 7-game series, minimizing thier speed. NOt only do the rules favor Ottawa now, but they've acquired toughness in McGratten, who took Domi to the woodshed on Saturday night. I haven't seen Domi beaten on like that since the Propert-Domi II many, many years ago.

hehe remember the good ole days Probert-McSorley back in the 80s when Marty was in Boston...

Scott D
11/3/2005, 03:29 PM
The worst part about last night is that I had Hossa on the bench in my fantasy league.

:(

Oh well, I had Visnovsky on my blue line, so I got 3 goals anyways.

should have been a good thing you had Hossa on the bench, since Atlanta didn't play ;)

HoserSooner
11/3/2005, 03:44 PM
hehe remember the good ole days Probert-McSorley back in the 80s when Marty was in Boston...

Yeah, I miss the old days when guys could fight and nobody cared if they did. The instigator rule, among other things, had ruined that for us fans that liked the scraps.

Scott D
11/3/2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I miss the old days when guys could fight and nobody cared if they did. The instigator rule, among other things, had ruined that for us fans that liked the scraps.

so what do you think about the new rule for the last 5 minutes of the game? I'm iffy on it right now...but there haven't been any major incidents at the end of games like there used to be.

WisconsinSooner
11/3/2005, 04:17 PM
I think the biggest question is whether or not the officiating is going to change during the playoffs. Right now, of the teams I have seen, it's a toss up between Detroit and the Sens. And being an Av's fan that really REALLY hurt to say. But if the officiating reverts and the ice gets a little smaller I don't see Ottawa getting out of the first round. Then I think teams like Philly, Toronto and Vancouver (painful to say) are the teams to watch. I think Detroit can manage either style of play. (again, painful to say) As for my Av's, they are a good mix of youth and experience. I think they could manage a run but they are not quite there yet.

HoserSooner
11/3/2005, 04:34 PM
so what do you think about the new rule for the last 5 minutes of the game? I'm iffy on it right now...but there haven't been any major incidents at the end of games like there used to be.

They do that a lot in minor hockey, but I don't think it belongs in the NHL. Quite often a fight livens up an otherwise dull hockey game, and I don't think further punishing a player is called for.

I can see why they do it though, as a team that is down by 3+ goals with under 5 minutes to go may decide that if they are going to lose the battle, they will try and win the war (a theory I subscribe to). I remember a few years back Toronto and Philly had a big scrap where the goalies (Potvin and Hextall) scrapped it out, and it was entertaining as hell.

Guess we'll never see that kind of "nonsense" again. :(

mrowl
11/3/2005, 05:00 PM
Ottawa is REALLY good.

Detroit hasn't played anyone yet... and IMO Nashville is better.

Sooner04
11/3/2005, 05:08 PM
http://www.thisisct.net/features/hartfordwhalers.gif

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Scott D
11/3/2005, 07:58 PM
They do that a lot in minor hockey, but I don't think it belongs in the NHL. Quite often a fight livens up an otherwise dull hockey game, and I don't think further punishing a player is called for.

I can see why they do it though, as a team that is down by 3+ goals with under 5 minutes to go may decide that if they are going to lose the battle, they will try and win the war (a theory I subscribe to). I remember a few years back Toronto and Philly had a big scrap where the goalies (Potvin and Hextall) scrapped it out, and it was entertaining as hell.

Guess we'll never see that kind of "nonsense" again. :(

Well I was more thinking about how in the past with a score like 8-0 like Ottawa had over Toronto woulda ended up with a Leaf taking a run at say Heatley or Alfredsson in that last 5 minutes. Then again, a rule like this woulda likely prevented the McSorley chop to the dome of Brashear.

Scott D
11/3/2005, 08:00 PM
Ottawa is REALLY good.

Detroit hasn't played anyone yet... and IMO Nashville is better.

yeah, just Vancouver, Calgary, and tonight Edmonton..nobody good. :P

Actually surprized Calgary has struggled so much out of the gate, but they seem to be rounding into the form that people expected out of them..I still think Iginla will have a huge year, and but I'm biased because he's my favorite player right now.

JohnnyMack
11/3/2005, 09:27 PM
should have been a good thing you had Hossa on the bench, since Atlanta didn't play ;)

Havlat, Hossa, what's the difference really?

HoserSooner
11/3/2005, 10:50 PM
Well I was more thinking about how in the past with a score like 8-0 like Ottawa had over Toronto woulda ended up with a Leaf taking a run at say Heatley or Alfredsson in that last 5 minutes. Then again, a rule like this woulda likely prevented the McSorley chop to the dome of Brashear.

That's exactly why I'm not a coach in the NHL. I'd be double-shifting my knuckle draggers, and benching the visor-wearing frenchies/europeans once the score got to 5-0.

I just finished watching a replay of the big Ottawa/Philly brawl from a few years back. Who DOESN'T like that kind of a game every once in a while? :cool:

WisconsinSooner
11/3/2005, 11:16 PM
I for one am in favor of sending out the enforcers with 3 seconds left in the third in a 5-0 game. Like Hoser, why I'm not an NHL coach.

Scott D
11/4/2005, 12:46 AM
That's exactly why I'm not a coach in the NHL. I'd be double-shifting my knuckle draggers, and benching the visor-wearing frenchies/europeans once the score got to 5-0.

I just finished watching a replay of the big Ottawa/Philly brawl from a few years back. Who DOESN'T like that kind of a game every once in a while? :cool:

hehe I won't lie...I always enjoy throwing in the video tape from March 25th 1997 ;)

I know WisconsinSooner knows what I'm talkin about.

WisconsinSooner
11/4/2005, 10:30 AM
Not one of Claude Lemieux's finer moments. I never completely forgave him for turtling the way he did. Not even after he tossed the gloves at the drop of the puc during the November 1997 rematch. The March fight started what for years I thought was the best rivalry in pro sports during that 5 year span. But I will say this for one of my Av's, Patrick Roy must have someone from Ontario in his family tree. That was a great night.

HoserSooner
11/4/2005, 10:35 AM
Not one of Claude Lemieux's finer moments. I never completely forgave him for turtling the way he did. Not even after he tossed the gloves at the drop of the puc during the November 1997 rematch. The March fight started what for years I thought was the best rivalry in pro sports during that 5 year span. But I will say this for one of my Av's, Patrick Roy must have someone from Ontario in his family tree. That was a great night.

I can't recall, but was Chris Simon still with the Avs back then? He was the toughest enforcer on the ice for a few years. But now he thinks (like Domi in Toronto and Neil in Ottawa) that he is a finesse player and wants to score goals instead. :D

Scott D
11/4/2005, 10:40 AM
nah it was pre-simon, he was in Washington or Buffalo back then.

I've got the November one on tape too :D

WisconsinSooner
11/4/2005, 11:21 AM
No, it was post Simon. Simon was with the Av's for their 96 cup run and left that Summer. I think the Av's were using Jeff Odgers and Scott Parker as their enforcers in 97 but I'm not sure. I know Parker got called up for every Detroit/Colorado regular season game after the "big one" took place.

Scott D
11/4/2005, 11:27 AM
oh yeah, post-Simon...I knew that Simon wasn't on the roster for the Nordalanche in those days....even funnier than the usage of Odgers and Parker was the bringing in of that sissy Wade Belak ;)

WisconsinSooner
11/4/2005, 11:35 AM
http://img455.imageshack.us/my.php?image=turtle3hc.jpg

WisconsinSooner
11/4/2005, 11:41 AM
http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/2245/turtle3hc.th.jpg (http://img455.imageshack.us/my.php?image=turtle3hc.jpg)

Never could get past the turtle.

HoserSooner
11/4/2005, 11:41 AM
oh yeah, post-Simon...I knew that Simon wasn't on the roster for the Nordalanche in those days....even funnier than the usage of Odgers and Parker was the bringing in of that sissy Wade Belak ;)

Hey now....don't be dissin' on my boy Belak.

He's taken over for Domi as the Leafs' primary goon. He's a horrible defenceman, but a decent 4th-line forward. Having a goon on defence is dumb anyways.

WisconsinSooner
11/4/2005, 11:47 AM
bringing in of that sissy Wade Belak ;) I had forgotten about that guy! I really believe losing Simon cost the Av's at least one cup.

Don't look now, my Av's have won 4 in a row.

WisconsinSooner
11/4/2005, 11:52 AM

He's taken over for Domi as the Leafs' primary goon. He's a horrible defenceman, but a decent 4th-line forward. Having a goon on defence is dumb anyways.
I didn't know Belak was still in the league!

Scott D
11/4/2005, 12:02 PM

In other words, Belak is the successor to fighting Darcy's fights for him....I still think Darcy is the biggest p***y in the NHL :D

HoserSooner
11/4/2005, 12:11 PM
In other words, Belak is the successor to fighting Darcy's fights for him....I still think Darcy is the biggest p***y in the NHL :D

I don't blame anyone outside of Toronto for disliking Tucker. He's a pest in the Matthew Barnaby mold, minus the heavyweight fighting ability. When he played for Tampa Bay, I hated the guy....but you have to respect his toughness. He rarely backs down from anyone, and is fearless going into the corner.

Yeah, Belak is still in the league. I think we got him from Calgary on waivers a few years ago. He and Domi are the enforcers on the team, but Tie is handing off most of those duties to him now due to his age. He's a tough customer, and probably the best bleeder in the league. :D

mrowl
11/4/2005, 12:14 PM
yeah, just Vancouver, Calgary, and tonight Edmonton..nobody good. :P

Actually surprized Calgary has struggled so much out of the gate, but they seem to be rounding into the form that people expected out of them..I still think Iginla will have a huge year, and but I'm biased because he's my favorite player right now.

I think Edmonton lost 7 straight...

And you lose in OT?

Scott D
11/4/2005, 12:30 PM
I think Edmonton lost 7 straight...

And you lose in OT?

It was their 4th win in a row...against our backup goalie since Barnabum injured the starter :(

GrapevineSooner
11/4/2005, 12:31 PM
If I could just find a photo of Grant Marshall bitch smacking Bryan Marchment on October 24th, 1998.

Scott D
11/4/2005, 12:32 PM
I don't blame anyone outside of Toronto for disliking Tucker. He's a pest in the Matthew Barnaby mold, minus the heavyweight fighting ability. When he played for Tampa Bay, I hated the guy....but you have to respect his toughness. He rarely backs down from anyone, and is fearless going into the corner.

Yeah, Belak is still in the league. I think we got him from Calgary on waivers a few years ago. He and Domi are the enforcers on the team, but Tie is handing off most of those duties to him now due to his age. He's a tough customer, and probably the best bleeder in the league. :D

eh don't get me wrong....I've hated Tucker since he was a ****ant in Montreal. He pestered Shanahan for a bit, then finally a questionable hit pushed Shanny over the edge and he went looking for Tucker....who by that time was hiding behind Brashear.

WisconsinSooner
11/4/2005, 12:52 PM
. . . . Tucker....who by that time was hiding behind Brashear.
Tucker's always hiding behind someone. I do think though that when a guy like that plays for you he is bringing a lot to your team. A lot like Claude Lemieux did for the Av's, Barnabum did for Buffalo, Tucker does for the Leafs. The guys you love to hate.

HoserSooner
11/4/2005, 01:08 PM
The guys you love to hate.

That's it exactly. The guy is intense, and rarely takes a shift off.

But if he gets traded to another team, I'll hate him with a passion.

GrapevineSooner
11/4/2005, 01:18 PM
Darcy Tucker sucks. ;)

Bastard took out Peca in 2002 and wrecked the Islanders chances for a win in that series.

Jimminy Crimson
11/4/2005, 01:35 PM
Winnipeg Jets :confused:

WisconsinSooner
11/4/2005, 01:50 PM
No, the "jets" are 6 and 8 with 1 OTL and in the cellar of the Western Conferences Pacific Division with 13 points.

mrowl
11/4/2005, 02:01 PM
BTW, Dave Tippet won't see another Stars home game after tonight...

HoserSooner
11/4/2005, 02:10 PM
Darcy Tucker sucks. ;)

Bastard took out Peca in 2002 and wrecked the Islanders chances for a win in that series.

It was a clean hip check on Peca.

Robers crushing Jonsson's head into the glass in the corner was a dirty hit without a doubt. Jonsson was one of the best defenceman the Isles had at that time.

Scott D
11/4/2005, 05:38 PM
jonsson was the best defenseman they had...and that says a lot with the core they had back then.

JohnnyMack
11/4/2005, 05:47 PM

I miss Tkachuk

and

Ten Mo Salamis

Scott D
11/4/2005, 06:16 PM
I miss Tkachuk

and

Ten Mo Salamis

yeah whatever did happen to Daniel Tkachuk.

WisconsinSooner
11/4/2005, 06:22 PM
yeah whatever did happen to Daniel Tkachuk.
Didn't he retire along with Brett Hill & Matt Messier? ;)

Scott D
11/4/2005, 06:35 PM
Didn't he retire along with Brett Hill & Matt Messier? ;)

lol..no I'm serious...he was a Flames draft pick a few years ago :P

Calgary Flames fans will see a little of what might have been when the Ottawa Senators arrive for an inter-conference tilt on Thursday night.

In this case, for the Flames, what might have been is Marian Hossa. You see, the Senators selected Hossa with the 12th overall pick in 1997. Or, six picks after the Flames wasted their top pick (sixth overall) on center Daniel Tkachuk, who's no longer playing for an NHL or AHL paycheck.

Apparently he's never recovered from a concussion.

WisconsinSooner
11/4/2005, 07:04 PM
Ya, I was jking. But I had honestly forgotten about him. He was ranked really high in the 1997 draft. Top 5 I think by just about everyone. If he never recovered from the concusion that's pretty tragic.

Scott D
11/4/2005, 07:15 PM
yeah researching it brought me to an interesting thread...with a lot of discussion about a guy who could have been a great one in Bryan Fogarty.

WisconsinSooner
11/4/2005, 08:56 PM
yeah researching it brought me to an interesting thread...with a lot of discussion about a guy who could have been a great one in Bryan Fogarty.
http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no20fogarty.html

Talk about ripping your heart out.

HoserSooner
11/5/2005, 01:27 AM
Tkachuk played his junior hockey here in my hometown. People had him doing a lot of things in the NHL, but it never seemed to materialize. He played with Jan Bulis (Canadiens) I believe, but Bulis was rated way lower in the draft from what I can recall.

mrowl
11/5/2005, 10:04 AM

I retract this statement...

for now........................

GrapevineSooner
11/6/2005, 02:50 PM
Stars finally get into a shootout.

And win with a pair of goals from Zubie and Jussi along with an ridiculous back of the arm save by Turco on Hejduk and a nice left pad stop on Tanguay.

mrowl
11/6/2005, 04:04 PM
Jussi is a BAD ***... Great win last night.

WisconsinSooner
11/6/2005, 08:33 PM
Did you call off the "hit" on Tippit mrowl?

My hat's off to Turco. He single handedly won that shootout with two of the best saves of the year.

mrowl
11/7/2005, 09:19 AM
Did you call off the "hit" on Tippit mrowl?

Yes, for now, we are just in observation mode.

Scott D
11/7/2005, 02:16 PM
Yes, for now, we are just in observation mode.

looks like this season the remedy to cure your ills would be playing the Blues.

GrapevineSooner
11/7/2005, 02:49 PM
Or the Blackhawks. :mad:

Scott D
11/7/2005, 06:22 PM
Or the Blackhawks. :mad:

even the Blackhawks beat the Blues :D

mrowl
11/8/2005, 07:04 AM
Well, gosh darn... 3 wins in a row for our Stars!!!

looks like Turco figured out how to play goalie again...

And the Stars may have something going.

Oh yeah, Jussi scores another goal last night, I think I know who is going on my new Jersey.

WisconsinSooner
11/8/2005, 04:47 PM
I guess you put some fear into Tippet mrowl. The Stars have finally gotten something going.

Seibu
11/9/2005, 04:16 PM
I can't believe no one mentions the Milwaukee Admirals.

They were awesome the other night against the Cleveland Barons.

WisconsinSooner
11/9/2005, 04:37 PM
Milwaukee lost to Cleveland last month and are 5-3-0-1 but the Admirals are on a 5 game win streak including a win over the Chicago Wolves who I despise. I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon until they beat Chicago a couple more times however. I'm still stinging from their losing to the Wolves in the playoffs last year.

Seibu
11/10/2005, 02:12 PM
I was just kidding about the AHL. I really don't care about the Ads.

My father and I took a hockey journey last month for a few weeks. Took in a lot of stuff on the road which included four NHL games.

My thoughts:

Blackhawks at St Louis/Oct. 11 - What has happened to the Blues? The crowd was horrible. We bought cheap tickets and later moved just four rows behind the glass. I only recognized maybe two guys on their roster. Long year for the Blues.

Bruins at Canadiens/Oct 18 - If you ever go to a hockey game, make it in Montreal or Toronto. The Habs fans were insane. 21,200+ fans. Vocal throughout. Was a real joy to sit in that beautiful arena and watch a classic rivalry with the home team bringing it home. Montreal has a nice team.

Hurricanes at Washington/Oct. 22 - The Caps suck. They are really bad. Again...no crowd. I really like the new MCI Center dowtown in Chinatown along 7th street. Lots of action at night. But they need a team.

Blackhawks at Nashville/Oct. 25 - Strange night. Nashville has a great team and this was the best game of the 4. The fans are hilarious as they have that Tennessee twang but love the sport (I guess). Preds have some speed for sure. After the game, lots of fun live houses and bars along Broadway for stuff to do. Really enjoyed Nashville.

Aside from NHL.....I've seen one AHL game (Milwaukee/Cleveland), one CHL game (Blazers) and a couple of Japan League games....so it's been quite a hockey year already.

Catching OU on Saturday. First time.

HoserSooner
11/10/2005, 03:32 PM
Hurricanes at Washington/Oct. 22 - The Caps suck. They are really bad. Again...no crowd. I really like the new MCI Center dowtown in Chinatown along 7th street. Lots of action at night. But they need a team.

The Caps are a pretty awful team, but the kid Ovechkin is a freakin' mahcine. He's worth the price of admission alone. We watched him play against the Leafs this past week, and I just sat there shaking my head at the plays this kid can make. Put him on any other team (other than St. Louis), and the team automatically becomes a contender.

The have been comparing him and Sidney Crosby, the #1 pick in Pittsburg. Crosby is playing on a line with one of the best players of all time though. Hell, I could put up 30-40 points in a season playing with Lemieux. Ovechkin is pretty much doing it all on his own.

Sounds like it was a good road trip. :cool:

Seibu
11/10/2005, 03:46 PM
Right. Really says about how great a player is when he makes everyone else so much better.

Gretzky turned Krushelnski into a 50-goal scorer.

And whatever became of Rob Brown after he left Pitt and Lemieux. 100-points to nothing.

Not taking anything away from Crosby though. He can wheel.

HoserSooner
11/10/2005, 04:16 PM
Oh no, Crosby is the real deal.

I'd just hate to see what Lemieux and Ovechkin could do on a line together.

WisconsinSooner
11/10/2005, 07:59 PM
I was just kidding about the AHL. I really don't care about the Ads.

My father and I took a hockey journey last month for a few weeks. Took in a lot of stuff on the road which included four NHL games.

My thoughts:

Blackhawks at St Louis/Oct. 11 - What has happened to the Blues? The crowd was horrible. We bought cheap tickets and later moved just four rows behind the glass. I only recognized maybe two guys on their roster. Long year for the Blues.

Bruins at Canadiens/Oct 18 - If you ever go to a hockey game, make it in Montreal or Toronto. The Habs fans were insane. 21,200+ fans. Vocal throughout. Was a real joy to sit in that beautiful arena and watch a classic rivalry with the home team bringing it home. Montreal has a nice team.

Blackhawks at Nashville/Oct. 25 - Strange night. Nashville has a great team and this was the best game of the 4. The fans are hilarious as they have that Tennessee twang but love the sport (I guess). Preds have some speed for sure. After the game, lots of fun live houses and bars along Broadway for stuff to do. Really enjoyed Nashville.

Aside from NHL.....I've seen one AHL game (Milwaukee/Cleveland), one CHL game (Blazers) and a couple of Japan League games....so it's been quite a hockey year already.

Catching OU on Saturday. First time.
What a trip! If I had to pick a city to watch a game it would be close between either Montreal or Toronto. Preferably with those two teams playing each other. I remember watching those two play on Center Ice Package during the day in early fall a few years ago either on Thanksgiving (Canada's) or Remembrance Day and the fans were louder than US fans during the Stanley Cup. Great great environment. I envy you Seibu. I would put up with the Quebecois to see the Habs in Montreal . . .and poutine. haha

Seibu
11/11/2005, 12:24 AM
Gee thanks...Wisconsin.

I'm a hockey nut, although most insist just a nut.

I took a backpacker trip in Europe in 2003 and caught gmes in Prague, Milan and Lugano.

You should really check out Euro games as the fans - especially in Swiss and Italy - are just nuts. Sing throughout the games...nonstop.