PDA

View Full Version : Student seating....

OUAndy1807
11/2/2005, 03:25 PM
Don't know if this has been talked about, but has anyone seen the new student seating arrangement? It sucks. Some very excellent seats for a few students, but everyone else gets crap. I can't find the layout online, but I saw it at the ticket office.

OUstud
11/2/2005, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I don't get the layout of the LNC, from giving the loser corporate people who don't show up prime seats, to putting the student sections at the weirdest places. Seems to me they should put the students either behind the band or behind the visitors' bench, and add on some club seating at the top so we don't notice the corporate ticket holders missing on national TV.

TopDawg
11/2/2005, 05:26 PM
http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/300/venues/2005-06_student_seating.gif

Rhino
11/2/2005, 05:28 PM
What?!?

PrideTrombone
11/2/2005, 06:11 PM
You know, when I first heard they'd be giving the student section seats on the side of the court, I should've known Joe C would make it just a small portion.

OklahomaTrombone
11/2/2005, 06:18 PM
Wow....that is just....

wow.

soonerguild
11/2/2005, 07:53 PM
they moved the student section because we were never filling it up anyway. the student body sucks at rolling out for basketball games, i don't even think we sold all the student tickets that the gave us. They pretty just decided that students couldn't show up a tipoff and get to sit mid court.
Besides, if your that mad about it show up sooner and get a better seat
funny how that works

TopDawg
11/2/2005, 08:12 PM
I dunno...it doesn't seem too bad to me. It's a step in the right direction. If the students respond by showing up at every game, maybe the athletic department will respond with more good seats.

Isn't the area behind the visitor's bench typically reserved for visiting fans? Not just at ours, but all arenas?

OUstud
11/2/2005, 11:04 PM
LW6-LE2 should be it. Do away with the rafters the band stands on, and put them right behind the visiting bench. And whose genius idea was it to put student seating IN THE UPPER DECK?!?

OUAndy1807
11/2/2005, 11:27 PM
once again, it's all about the money. The seats in lw4 and 5 and rw 4 can be sold as donor seats instead of "just" student tickets. Put the students in sections that used to be sooner saver seats and you have more money in their pockets.

The argument that this somehow happened because the students don't show up for the games doesn't hold water in my mind. Don't give me that **** when you can go to a OSU/Kansas/Texas game and see 6 empty seats together, midcourt because some ********* at a big company decided not to go or give the tickets to somebody. There is a large group of students that attend every game, and now they will have a lot ****tier seats so that some donor can get better football tickets by buying donor level basketball tickets for the priority points.

Don't get me wrong, I get ****ed about the ****ty attendance, too, but it's not just the students, so don't kid yourself into thinking that's why they did this. Which sections do you think will be the fullest when East Popcorn State comes rolling into town next week? It won't be the donor sections. Trust me, that's where my tickets have been for the last 5 years. And if this was really an attempt to boost attendance, why don't they try changing their ****ty student ticket policy of making you pick up packets of tickets weeks ahead of time in order to attend the games.

AustinTXHorn
11/3/2005, 12:10 AM
I'm not sure how you guys can be ****ed about this. I'd think of that as a victory for the students. OU students are now getting to sit where some big money donors used to sit. Of course they're not going to give a ton of courtside seats to the students, because they're not sure if it would fill up consistently and it would be pointless to take seats away from big donors and have them stay empty.

What OU students need to do is fill up those courtside seats for every single game and prove to the athletic department that they deserve to have more.

This is what I wish Texas would at least experiment with.

OUAndy1807
11/3/2005, 12:32 AM
first of all, no big money donors used to sit in any of those seats. those were sooner saver and opposing team seats.

second of all, I would be amazed if there was one bit of evidence that proved that the people with the big money seats attendance rate was any better than the students. I would bet that it is a lot worse. I've missed maybe 5 games in the last 6 years. I can tell you that in my section, there are about 25 regulars that attend every game and probably another 50 that attend every one in a while, and this is a donor section. That's out of probably 500 seats. Do you think that giving them ****tier seats will make the students more likely or less likely to attend the games?

I'm not saying that we need to give the students a ton of courtside seats. Hell, given the distance from the seats to the court, I don't think it makes a bit of difference. We'll never be Duke, but the students are getting the shaft on this one in favor of more money for the athletic department.

Now, I will be extremely ****ed if those courtside seats are reserved for Kelvin's Krazies or for Fraternity/Sorority type functions.

boomersooner82
11/3/2005, 12:49 AM
The new "courtside" seats are probably going to suck. I was part of a "test group" they used last year to decide if putting some students in those areas would affect the view of the donors that sit behind them. None of us liked them. You're not raised up high enough to see over the scorers/media table and b/c of the shape of the LNC, you're pretty far from the game. I'd much rather sit on the first few rows of the original student section or in the corner by the visitors bench. I give the athletic department some props for at least trying to get the students closer to the court, but this is a pretty poor attempt. Sadly, there's only so much they can do with the LNC. It's just too bad they built it when they did... in an era of bad sports venues.

AustinTXHorn
11/3/2005, 12:50 AM
first of all, no big money donors used to sit in any of those seats. those were sooner saver and opposing team seats.
Opposing teams got seats right in center court down low?

second of all, I would be amazed if there was one bit of evidence that proved that the people with the big money seats attendance rate was any better than the students.
That's not the point of it. The athletic department gets a lot of money from those people. If you take away their seats and students still don't fill it up, not only do they lose money, but it looks bad for the school and it ****es off the former ticket holders.

I'm not saying there will be less people in the stands. I'm just saying that if the athletic department is going to make a move like that, then they need to see that the students are going to fill up those great seats for every game to make it worthwhile.

IMO, as long as the students show up and prove that it's worth moving season ticket holders/big donors out of their seats, the university will give them better seats.

AustinTXHorn
11/3/2005, 12:52 AM
It's just too bad they built it when they did... in an era of bad sports venues.
Why don't they fix it up some like Texas did with the Erwin Center?

The place is the perfect basketball arena. You walk in at the top of the building and it has a low ceiling. Could be one of the louder places in college basketball. All they'd really need to do is fix it up so you have seats that go right up to the court.

And lights. Lights are good.

OUAndy1807
11/3/2005, 01:41 AM
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/9480/lnclayout6yj.jpg

IronHorseSooner
11/3/2005, 01:41 AM
I agree, LNC needs to be "jazzed" up some. When they started the entrance music a few years ago, that was cool. Unfortunately, it was built in an era of bad sports venues. I would like to see something unique, and something that where teams come in and say "I don't want to go play against OU in Norman, that place is wild." That's, unfortunately, what places like Stillwater, Ames, Lawrence, Columbia, and even Lubbock are like. What's amazing is that Coach Sampson has built what he has at OU and has the consistent home court advantage. If we had a consistent attendance, then, WOW, look out.

Rhino
11/3/2005, 01:45 AM
One of these days, we might be able to play with lights on in the LNC.

OUAndy1807
11/3/2005, 01:51 AM
Here is a side by side of the student section now (on the left), and before (on the right). This is how it was when I was a student, so it may have been slightly different for the last couple of years. I do know that when the games don't sell out, sections w5, w6, w7, and n1 were sold as general admission seating. I think that for the last couple of years w5 was season tickets, but you get the idea.

Anyway, as you can see, what has happened is there are 2 small courtside areas (which as someone stated earlier are pretty crappy seats) that were given to the students, but lw5, 6, rw4 and the upper bowl sections have been given to non-student season ticket holders. In return, the students have been given n2, n3, and n4, which in the past were reserved for fans of the opposing team and the half time performers and there families when applicable (little dribblers, gymnastics/dance squads, etc...) Basically, they were the least desirable tickets in the arena. The area that's purple on the new layout is being shown as student seating, but that is where the band, ruf neks and kelvin's krazies sit.

You're telling me that this is a victory for the students?

And as for the argument that the donors deserve this more than the students because they pay more:
This is a much bigger issue to me. Lately the line between pro sports and college sports is getting more and more blurry and it's because of this mentality. Traditions are being replaced with sponsorships. Money is replacing school spirit. You can make the argument that students should have to pay full donor prices for their tickets, I guess.

I guess that's probably what's at the heart of it for me; the students are getting crowded out. I hate to see it happening, and not because of attendance, but because of money. I know it's a business, but if it's purely a business then it should be presented as such and ties to the University should be severed.

AustinTXHorn
11/3/2005, 02:38 AM
And as for the argument that the donors deserve this more than the students because they pay more:
This is a much bigger issue to me. Lately the line between pro sports and college sports is getting more and more blurry and it's because of this mentality. Traditions are being replaced with sponsorships. Money is replacing school spirit. You can make the argument that students should have to pay full donor prices for their tickets, I guess.
I did not say that I agreed with it. But I don't think it's any secret that in the University's eyes, they want to make the maximum amount of money possible. And the way to do that is give the big donors great seats to keep them happy and keep the money flowing in. To the school, old rich man has more priority than poor college student when it comes to keeping them happy at basketball games.

The exact same thing has gone on at Texas. Only students in the first 5-10 rows of the student sections (about 1/20 of it) have halfway decent seats.

I didn't say it was a full blown complete victory for the students. But a small one. If they pack that lower part of the student section for every game, there's a much better chance that they'll go ahead and give them RW2, RW4, RE2, and RE4. I guess what I'm saying is the potential final product is much better than the old one.

OUAndy1807
11/3/2005, 02:58 AM
I can see what you're saying, but at this point I have little faith in our AD to do the right thing. Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if those spaces were held for the ruf/neks and krazies. Also, a lot of times they will allow greeks courtside for big games. I would hate to see that happen with those seats.

We'll see.

AustinTXHorn
11/3/2005, 03:15 AM
Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if those spaces were held for the ruf/neks and krazies. Also, a lot of times they will allow greeks courtside for big games. I would hate to see that happen with those seats.

We'll see.
If that is the case, then I agree with you there. That would suck. Especially if they don't make those groups wait in line like the rest of the students.

There used to be a couple of student groups who would march right to the front of the student section an hour before the game at Texas and got in front of the people who had camped out. Eventually everybody revolted and they got their "assigned" seats taken away. Those superfans don't even show up to games anymore.

soonerguild
11/3/2005, 09:43 AM
I really dont know what the big problem is
first of all the band and the rufneks do sit in that section behind the basket, but so do about 75 students, because i am one of them, and i never had problems getting down there as long as i got to the game an hour and a half early.
All the athletic department did is reward the students that show up early, the year before last, when we sucked bad, the upperdeck of the student section was never even close to full.
There is no reason for there to be 3,000 empty $5 seats when there can be empty $20 seats.

Jeopardude
11/3/2005, 05:34 PM
I do know that when the games don't sell out, sections w5, w6, w7, and n1 were sold as general admission seating. I think that for the last couple of years w5 was season tickets, but you get the idea.

Anyway, as you can see, what has happened is there are 2 small courtside areas (which as someone stated earlier are pretty crappy seats) that were given to the students, but lw5, 6, rw4 and the upper bowl sections have been given to non-student season ticket holders. In return, the students have been given n2, n3, and n4, which in the past were reserved for fans of the opposing team and the half time performers and there families when applicable (little dribblers, gymnastics/dance squads, etc...) Basically, they were the least desirable tickets in the arena. The area that's purple on the new layout is being shown as student seating, but that is where the band, ruf neks and kelvin's krazies sit.

I guess that's probably what's at the heart of it for me; the students are getting crowded out. I hate to see it happening, and not because of attendance, but because of money. I know it's a business, but if it's purely a business then it should be presented as such and ties to the University should be severed.

It is a shame the students are getting crowded out. I do know that part of W5 is general admission and part is nonstudent season tickets (which is what I have because it's the most affordable for the common man).

I bet there'll be a reassessment of tix/sections once it becomes apparent how much the Hornets games eat into attendance at OU games. There'll be those people who'd rather watch Shaq dunk it 12 times against no D than go see a Top 10 college team. Watch those LE sections through December. They will be EMPTY.

Sooner04
11/3/2005, 05:37 PM
Crowded out? How on Earth do you think the students are being crowded out?

I'm ****ed as hell they're getting moved to better locations within the arena. They should show up and EARN their seat and then bitch about the view.

Sooner62
11/3/2005, 05:46 PM
I know a lot of the donors only show up for the "major" games, i.e., Texas, osu, Tech, and the big non-con games. However, not to stir the pot, but isn't that true of some of the students as well?

Don't get me wrong. I would like to see the first few rows be nothing but students. But if you only can truly count on a couple of hundred or less to come to every game faithfully, what's the point?

I myself have missed less than 10 games in the last 30 years but I sit up top where you can't see me BUT I'm as vocal as anyone in LNC and I was loud at the fieldhouse as well. Just ask the people around me :)

Anyway, I cannot wait for the season to start. Looking forward to great things.

Boomer Sooner

OUstud
11/3/2005, 06:14 PM
Here is a side by side of the student section now (on the left), and before (on the right). This is how it was when I was a student, so it may have been slightly different for the last couple of years. I do know that when the games don't sell out, sections w5, w6, w7, and n1 were sold as general admission seating. I think that for the last couple of years w5 was season tickets, but you get the idea.

The business people should sit in the upper level, in the dim lighted area, where the empty seats don't show up on TV. Also, what is really ghey about this is my family has 3 season tickets. Some games, my mom will attend (she's not really a basketball fan, only when we play like Aggy or Whorn). But for those games where my seat is taken, me and a friend will by those awesome $20 SRO tickets, and that specifically says we may sit anywhere in the upper level that is open after tipoff. The upper level of student seating, however, isn't always 100% full, and there have been numerous nationally televised games where that is the case, and yet they won't let SRO people sit in those wide open seats, instead we must stand mere feet from them for the whole game. It's freakin' ridiculous.

OUAndy1807
11/3/2005, 06:55 PM
Crowded out? How on Earth do you think the students are being crowded out?

I'm ****ed as hell they're getting moved to better locations within the arena. They should show up and EARN their seat and then bitch about the view. much like the donors show up and EARN their tickets?

GottaHavePride
11/3/2005, 08:00 PM
Why don't they fix it up some like Texas did with the Erwin Center?

The place is the perfect basketball arena. You walk in at the top of the building and it has a low ceiling. Could be one of the louder places in college basketball. All they'd really need to do is fix it up so you have seats that go right up to the court.

And lights. Lights are good.
Can't. To get more seats closer to the court we need to lower the floor of the place, and we're already sitting at the water table. Although we could dig it down and install chillers and have a killer hockey arena, and then start from scratch and actually build a decent basketball arena.

Freaking round multi-purpose arena. Basketball courts are rectangular; the arena should be, too.

OklahomaTrombone
11/3/2005, 08:38 PM
I've posted this before...but I'll post it again:

I would like to see a 8,000-10,000 seat Basketball arena on Campus with a limited amount of Club seating and suites. This could either be a renovated field house or a new site built by the duck pond. I'm trying to remember how much land is over there by memory, but I think there is enough.

There would be no student seating in an upper bowl, if constructed with one. Students would be on three sides of the court with them as close to the action as possible, the students seating behind the basket would be your standard fair, with them taking up a large portion of the seating. The student section along the sideline would only be 3-5 rows deep, much like it is at Duke, etc. Approx. 1,500-2,500 student seats.

You could put the halways to the locker room in a corner, not in the middle of the endline.

If I could draw I'd make a little drawing of what this would all look like, but I can't.

The LNC would be be retrofitted to fit a hockey rink in it so our hockey team could play in Norman. It would still be used for all the other multipurpose things that go on like wrestling, gymnastics, etc.

But since that isn't really feasable....here is what I would like to see done.

Take out the removable seating on the non-bench side at the LNC, put students there. Put students at the southwest floor space, where the media stuff currently is, and move the media to the other side. Instead of keeping the circle shape all the way down on the floor, put the students as close to the court as possible. The biggest thing I've noticed about watching games on TV is that when something exciting happens you only get a small corner of the crowds reaction, where you watch other basketball games and you are able to get a larger chunk of people on the normal sideline shot that is used in games. Putting the students closer to the court would help this problem.

On to tickets....I understand that if you buy basketball season tickets it helps you accumulate points to either getting football season tickets or improving your football seats. Change it to where you must attend at least 75% of the basketball games for that to be true. Now it doesn't have to be you attending the game, you can give you ticket to someone, sell it, do whatever you want to do with it. But there must be a butt in that seat 75% of the time that our boys are working their tails off. If you don't meet the 75% attendance rate, then the "points" don't count. Too bad, so sad.

Student section.....this is kinda radical and it would probably **** a whole bunch of people off...but I would love to see it happen....for every game that the student section isn't full, reduce the number of student tickets for the next game. After 3 consecutive student sell outs at the lower level bump it back up to its former capacity, so if there were two non-full student sections it would take six full student sections to get it back to full capacity.

I'm sure this sounds like pure crap to a lot of people...but I think it could work...but then again....I could be wrong.

Thoughts?

OUAndy1807
11/3/2005, 09:25 PM
as to the attendance factor:
The students section has not been full for one football home game since TCU. Should we now take 20% of the student season ticket holders and give them club level passes and move the rest to the south endzone where we used to seat our opponents fans?

TopDawg
11/3/2005, 09:52 PM
Anyone can join Kelvin's Krew. If you want those seats, they can be had.

Also, a lot of times they will allow greeks courtside for big games.

I think that might be Crimson Pride (http://crimsonpride.ou.edu/whatis.htm) you're referring to.

TopDawg
11/3/2005, 09:54 PM
I still don't see what's so bad about this. The students who show up early will be able to get seats closer to the action. I would've loved to have had those seats as a student. It will also look neater on TV. As far as the students are concerned, this seems like a step in the right direction.

Soonerborn03
11/3/2005, 11:07 PM
first of all, no big money donors used to sit in any of those seats. those were sooner saver and opposing team seats.The visitor seats are right behind the visitor bench in RE2. The seats that they took away at midcourt, which was RE3, were donor seats.

OUAndy1807
11/3/2005, 11:22 PM
so they added 4 sections of donor seats and took away 2 (and arguably the two worst). and I understand that the initial visitor seats are behind the oppossing teams bench, but anyone who has been to a big game knows that those seats in n4 and s4 are sold to the opposing teams as well.

Ruuuuuufus
11/5/2005, 04:13 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows if these are for men's games only? I went to the women's scrimmage Thursday and the student sections were the old ones. I sat in RW4.

OUstud
11/5/2005, 04:24 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a260/OUstud/seating.jpg

Red=Student Seating
Yellow= Company Seats/SRO after tipoff seating (if not full)
Green= Mini Season Tickets
Blue= Band

Thoughts?

Ruuuuuufus
11/5/2005, 06:20 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a260/OUstud/seating.jpg

Red=Student Seating
Yellow= Company Seats/SRO after tipoff seating (if not full)
Green= Mini Season Tickets
Blue= Band

Thoughts?

looks good, although the band is usually on the NW side of that curve thing and the floor stuff on the south side of the court is where alot of the media is I think.

TopDawg
11/5/2005, 06:33 PM
looks good, although the band is usually on the NW side of that curve thing and the floor stuff on the south side of the court is where alot of the media is I think.

There might be some bandies here who are against this...but I think it'd be cool to have the band back up in the "crow's nest" above the tunnel.

PrideTrombone
11/5/2005, 07:48 PM
There might be some bandies here who are against this...but I think it'd be cool to have the band back up in the "crow's nest" above the tunnel.

They did that once, in 1990 or 1991. There just wasn't enough room up there for the band.

Sooner04
11/6/2005, 01:47 AM
They did that once, in 1990 or 1991. There just wasn't enough room up there for the band.
It was '94.

Ruuuuuufus
11/6/2005, 02:38 AM
They took the seats out of the two "new" sections RE3 and RW3 and made them standing room only with a couple risers like the area by the band is.

To me that seems detrimental to getting students to be there in front of the camera for the non-marquis games. And even if it fills up I think the area is too deep and the risers too low.

If they left the seats in there those sections would be full every game. As it is now they will probably be less than half full for most of the games, as evidenced by the 15 or so people in each section earlier tonight.

TopDawg
11/6/2005, 10:01 AM
I don't think last night will be a very good indicator of attendance patterns this year. I bet a lot of local students went home this weekend since we didn't have a FB game.

I thought room was probably an issue with the band being in the crow's nest. That sucks. It's a cool location for a band.

GottaHavePride
11/6/2005, 01:32 PM
I thought room was probably an issue with the band being in the crow's nest. That sucks. It's a cool location for a band.
Well, the view would be pretty awesome from up there, but it'd be hella crowded and no one would be able to hear the band at all - it'd just turn into mud as far as sound. Not that that band still packs the punch that it used to anyway.

OUstud
11/6/2005, 02:44 PM

Thanks, and I know, I just think they should move them closer to the visiting bench...so in timeouts, they'd be blaring their songs into their huddle.

And I didn't know that they moved all the media to the south side, I thought it was one side, and the other was where Sooner Man sat. I went to the game last night, and he was sitting in the Kelvin's Krew spot.

Sooner04
11/6/2005, 04:36 PM
Well, the view would be pretty awesome from up there, but it'd be hella crowded and no one would be able to hear the band at all - it'd just turn into mud as far as sound. Not that that band still packs the punch that it used to anyway.Nah. I remember the band being up there in '94 and it sounded great. Everyone in the arena, except those in the south nosebleeds, got an earful of sound.

PrideTrombone
11/6/2005, 04:42 PM
Nah. I remember the band being up there in '94 and it sounded great. Everyone in the arena, except those in the south nosebleeds, got an earful of sound.

Yeah, but that was back when every person in the band had their own mic and it all went into a mixer. The mics got stolen around 1999 or 2000, and now they have three low quality mics which all get placed in front of the saxes.

OUTromBoNado
11/7/2005, 08:14 PM
As others have said, it's all about the alimghty dollar. Unfortunately, that trend is just increasing.

$$$$ is slowly but surely ruining all the things that made college sports truly unique.

TopDawg
11/8/2005, 02:42 PM
96 students responded to the OU Daily poll question for today's paper. The question was (paraphrasing): Do you support the student seating changes at basketball games?

~67% Yes
~5% No
~28% Don't care

OUAndy1807
1/11/2006, 08:24 PM
how's that Crimzone working out so far?

OUAndy1807
1/11/2006, 08:25 PM
96 students responded to the OU Daily poll question for today's paper. The question was (paraphrasing): Do you support the student seating changes at basketball games?

~67% Yes
~5% No
~28% Don't care

Did they have the typical sample size of 60 students?

PhxSooner
1/11/2006, 09:15 PM
It was 1993. My boyfriend at the time was in the band and they were absolutely miserable up there; away from everything, hotter than heck. My husband was a 3rd trumpet in the same band (yeah, I dated the trumpet section), and the space was so limited that he played pressed up against the plexiglass that was put up to keep the "noise" down.

I still don't understand why it's so very dark in there.

OUstud
1/11/2006, 11:21 PM
how's that Crimzone working out so far?

Well I think we're the only student section-section in the country. And it even has a sponsor!

I'm going to put this out here...STAND THE HELL UP STUDENTS! ALABAMA (ESPN), MISSOURI, YOU'RE SITTING! GET UP!

AustinTXHorn
1/12/2006, 12:14 AM
After seeing the Missouri game, from what I could tell (which is not very much, it was pretty damn dark and looked empty) on TV, was that there were almost no seats on the side. If I hadn't known ahead of time that there was a student section there, I wouldn't have noticed at all. Not sure if it's just that there's not many seats there, the fact that it's dark as hell, or the fact that there weren't many people there. Maybe a combination of all three.

OUAndy1807
1/12/2006, 12:17 AM
The crimzone sucks. It's one row of people standing up against a rail behind 1 row of media and 2 rows of coaches and their kids.The view is terrible, and there are no seats. What you end up with is 20 people on each side and a big empty space. On top of all of that, it's "sponsored" by an apartment complex and American Eagle, which means that we have to sit through at least 2 more ads per game.
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/6522/crimzonesucks5bm.jpg

AustinTXHorn
1/12/2006, 12:22 AM
The crimzone sucks. It's one row of people standing up against a rail behind 1 row of media and 2 rows of coaches and their kids.The view is terrible, and there are no seats. What you end up with is 20 people on each side and a big empty space. On top of all of that, it's "sponsored" by an apartment complex and American Eagle, which means that we have to sit through at least 2 more ads per game.
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/6522/crimzonesucks5bm.jpg
So even when the arena is full...they only allow one row of people to be there?

Jimminy Crimson
1/12/2006, 12:31 AM
Does Joe C's private army detail monitor the 'Crimzone' to make sure nothing bad or negative towards the other team is said? :rolleyes:

TopDawg
1/12/2006, 10:11 AM
Does Joe C's private army detail monitor the 'Crimzone' to make sure nothing bad or negative towards the other team is said? :rolleyes:

...or in support of past mascots. ;)

OklahomaTrombone
1/12/2006, 10:39 AM
We need someone with a lot of cash to make shirts that say "Bring Back TopDawg" and hand them out to students as they walk up to LNC for a televised game.

We'd only need to make like....100...since thats all the students that show up. ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2006, 10:53 AM
I remember the last year of the Bliss era and the Tubbs years, we sat in the mid-court area of LW-3 or LW-4. If I had to sit where they stick students today, The Human Alphabet may never have been born or cheered through 4 years of Bball!

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2006, 10:54 AM
Did they have the typical sample size of 60 students?

Yeah, the only 60-some students that actually thought being involved in student affairs actually meant something...

TopDawg
1/12/2006, 10:56 AM
So even when the arena is full...they only allow one row of people to be there?

I think they'll allow more, but there's not much incentive, unless you're really tall, to go down there if there's already one row.

OUAndy1807
1/12/2006, 11:06 AM
Yeah, the only 60-some students that actually thought being involved in student affairs actually meant something...
I don't think that the student newspapers poll, which you have to log on to the daily's website to take, can be considered being "involved in student affairs".

OUAndy1807
1/12/2006, 11:07 AM
I think they'll allow more, but there's not much incentive, unless you're really tall, to go down there if there's already one row.

and the risers are 4' wide and about 6" tall, so the view would really suck.

Ruuuuuufus
1/12/2006, 11:53 AM
They took the seats out of the two "new" sections RE3 and RW3 and made them standing room only with a couple risers like the area by the band is.

To me that seems detrimental to getting students to be there in front of the camera for the non-marquee games. And even if it fills up I think the area is too deep and the risers too low.

If they left the seats in there those sections would be full every game. As it is now they will probably be less than half full for most of the games, as evidenced by the 15 or so people in each section earlier tonight.

Two months later, and I don't think either of the courtside sections has been 1/4 full yet. As I mentioned, put the seats back and those sections fill up. Then just take them back out for Texas and OSU and everything will be kosher.

OUstud
1/12/2006, 06:10 PM
Just not good planning by whoever did this configuration.