PDA

View Full Version : Male practice squad for the Sooner ladies?

stoopified
10/30/2005, 05:23 PM
Heard this on TV a week or so ago.One of the Lady Sooners was saying that the male practice squad couldn't stop the inside game of the Paris twins.I was wondering if anybody had any info on this practice squad.I am assuming they are recruited from the student body?I saw just a brief clip and it looked like they had some 6'4-6'5 types to defend in the post.Is this a common Policy? How long has Sherri done this?

OUGreg723
10/30/2005, 06:37 PM
Many girls basketball teams practice against boys. For example, at my high school the girls sometimes scrimmage against boys. I assume it is to make them more physical and tougher. I am suprised this is done at the college level though. Maybe it is good for them, who knows. Sherri knows what she's doing.

Kels
10/30/2005, 07:41 PM
One of my students played on the male practice squad a few times last year. He quit because he couldn't take getting beat by girls all the time.

soonerguild
10/30/2005, 08:03 PM
I know UCONN and Tennessee have male practice squads as well.

TopDawg
10/30/2005, 10:20 PM
I think Sherri's done it throughout her tenure here. I know it's been going on for several years at least.

One of my buddies played on the practice team a few years ago and then a few weeks ago happened to be around when they were looking for a few more to practice against. He said the Paris twins were dominant inside. My friend is a point/2-guard type and said he didn't want to take anything into the lane, fearing incredible harm to his body and/or ego. ;)

ucosooner
11/2/2005, 12:20 AM
I actually remember seeing a story on this, and it focused on tenn. but these guys are mostly high school ballers who couldn't make it in college, but they actually have strict rules and policies for the practice squad. It was an interesting article, and I think it's a good idea.

Jimminy Crimson
11/2/2005, 12:25 AM
They have to be students (in good standing, I believe) and the coaches usually recruit them from IM and pickup games at the campus rec center, Huffman in OU's case.

TopDawg
11/2/2005, 05:29 PM
I don't think they have to be students...but I think sometimes they might offer a small stipend/scholarship to those who are. However, I'm not at all sure about that.

1stTimeCaller
11/2/2005, 05:35 PM
I scrimmiged with them a few years ago. Out of the blue Coach Overton had our IM team go to practice and there were only 6 of us that showed. They kept rotating 5 at a time. We were up on them early until we couldn't breathe anymore. I thought I was gonna puke at halfcourt at the Noble. We ended up getting stomped.