PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Jermaine Gresham...

OklahomaTuba
10/28/2005, 07:02 PM
#2 TE out of Ardmore.

Just curious if he is the "football player" type we need and want.

I fear our lack of TE playcalling will hurt our chances the most with this guy, and I hate to see perhaps the best player in the state go someplace other than OU again.

Scott D
10/28/2005, 07:10 PM
I direct you to the previous Gresham thread....so far it's come about that

he's soft
stone hands
indifferent
shys away from contact

BOOMERBRADLEY
10/28/2005, 07:25 PM
He also has bad grades

LSUdeek
10/28/2005, 07:30 PM
Then I guess all of these schools are wasting their time...

LSU
Miami-FL
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Southern Cal
Tennessee

???????????

Scott D
10/28/2005, 07:42 PM

LSU
Miami-FL
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Southern Cal
Tennessee

???????????

From what I'm getting schools are looking at 6'7 235 lbs, runs fast...which means he's being rated on 'combines'.

OklahomaTuba
10/28/2005, 07:59 PM
Yikes, didn't read that other thread, I must have missed it.

Strange that the kid would be so highly rated and sought after and have simple fundamental issues with catching the football or avoiding contact.

I guess thats rankings for ya.

Scott D
10/28/2005, 09:04 PM
That's the strange evolution of high school football. Now that so much of a player's ranking is based upon 'measurables' some players end up higher than they should be because of the 'athletic' factor and not rated as much on being a football player.

Cam
10/28/2005, 09:19 PM
Cause recruiting rankings are nevar wrong. :rolleyes:

LSU
Miami-FL
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Southern Cal
Tennessee

???????????

LSUdeek
10/28/2005, 09:20 PM
That's the strange evolution of high school football. Now that so much of a player's ranking is based upon 'measurables' some players end up higher than they should be because of the 'athletic' factor and not rated as much on being a football player.

I gotta believe that this staff which is mostly from OSU has seen this guy play.

I can't believe that Josh Henson (LSU TE coach) hasn't seen him run routes and catch balls before offering him a scholarship.

But, the point might be moot with the Richard Dickson and J.D. Lott commitments. We are still after NaDerris Ward as well.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/29/2005, 01:19 AM
he isn't the first or the last 5* that i've seen play and asked what are these guys thinking. bryan pickryl was one that everyone was moaning about several years ago. if you watched the kid play, knowing that he had had recurring shoulder issues in the past, you could pretty much tell he wasn't going to be anything but injured in college as a DE. his entire game was using swim moves and slaps to get past his man - in other words, moves that were really hard on the shoulder.

i said as much on hornfans and said that the guy would make a better TE than DE and got laughed off. 3 years later his only memorable moment is jumping offsides his freshman year and allowing OU 8 points before halftime. the rest has been one shoulder injury after another.

if these guys say that gresham doesn't like contact and has marginal hands, then there isn't any way he's going to succeed on the college level.

Ardmore_Sooner
10/29/2005, 01:59 AM
I gotta believe that this staff which is mostly from OSU has seen this guy play.

I can't believe that Josh Henson (LSU TE coach) hasn't seen him run routes and catch balls before offering him a scholarship.

But, the point might be moot with the Richard Dickson and J.D. Lott commitments. We are still after NaDerris Ward as well.

He is a wide receiver, not a tight end. People don't even know the position of the kid, rivals just like to put him as a tight end. He cannot block, repeat, cannot block. I played varsity ball with the kid for two years and watched him as a freshman my sophomore year of high school. He is an athlete none the less, but the true ability is lacking. LSU can use a scholy on him if they want, just one we wont waste.

LSUdeek
10/29/2005, 09:34 AM
What's up with the rep system around here?

Believing High School hype is exactly what has gotten OU into trouble right now...... Gresham is a *****, have you seen him play???? Case closed!!!!
You have -4680 Reputation points.

I went from 950 to -4680. ????

Who's got the power to take a dude down 5000 pts? lol

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/29/2005, 03:26 PM

i could take you down 9000, so be nice ;)

sooner13f
10/29/2005, 10:47 PM
I dont know the kid, but he looks lazy (at best) on his highlight clips.

LSUdeek
10/31/2005, 10:10 AM
lol: maturity

this is for the Sugar Bowl
i'll help you a litte, but gresham isn't a football player. jkm
how many are you negged now?
Have some more neg.

Eielson
11/13/2005, 02:29 PM
Tall people always look lazy. There legs are longer. Just like if you have a 5'6'' guy he is going to look faster than he really is. Part of the rankings are his potential but I have a hard time believing he is rated that good and is just tall and fast. And if it is such basic fundamentals why wouldn't OU be able to teach him that. He could redshirt the first year, not play a whole lot his freshman year, and then as a sophmore be a big fast player with good fundamentals.

Huskernsooner71
12/3/2005, 12:58 AM
Jermaine is visiting OU this weekend. I saw him tonight...looks like he was born to play tightend or slam a basketball

jreed13
12/3/2005, 01:41 AM
tag

Eielson
12/3/2005, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE]What's up with the rep system around here?

Quote:
Believing High School hype is exactly what has gotten OU into trouble right now...... Gresham is a *****, have you seen him play???? Case closed!!!!
You have -4680 Reputation points.

Who's got the power to take a dude down 5000 pts? lolQUOTE]

I just went down like 20,000 on one rating. I am off the scale bad... one bad dude, and apparently a punk from what the person wrote.

BillyBall
12/3/2005, 08:17 PM

Good for you....

BillyBall
12/3/2005, 08:21 PM
I just went down like 20,000 on one rating. I am off the scale bad... one bad dude, and apparently a punk from what the person wrote.

Please dont talk about "spek". I gave you positive spek just to end the conversation......

OKC Sooner
12/3/2005, 08:36 PM

The first rule of Spek Club is.... :D

BASSooner
12/5/2005, 04:03 PM
I heard that he took a second visit to OU not too long ago

Big John
12/6/2005, 10:23 AM
Does Willie Roberts and Bubba Moses not know how to catch or does Chuck Long just have something against using tight ends

Eielson
12/6/2005, 04:28 PM
Bad things happen when they through to Bubba. He didn't catch many and caused a couple of ints for White.

Big John
12/7/2005, 10:40 AM
OU had both Trent Smith and Josh Norman play in the NFL as tight ends, but both were used as possesion wideouts for OU. OU had all the recievers in the world. What's up with that?

tsou89
12/9/2005, 10:34 PM
Can't teach 6'7", 235. You can teach work hard, catch, hit.

Sooner24
12/9/2005, 10:38 PM
This was in todays Ardmore newspaper:

But the big blow is that, more than likely, there won't be center Jermaine Gresham, who was The 2004-05 Boys All-Area Basketball Team's Most Valuable Player, on the hardwood this season.

"We probably won't have his presence this season," Wilson said. "He's got a knee injury (suffered in the Coweta quarterfinal football playoff game). The doctors have looked at it, and they'll take further precautions with him. Right now, we're planning on going without him, but you never know. In the past, if players have gotten hurt, there's been guys to step up, and take over positions that they may not have anticipated. But they usually get it done."

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/11/2005, 12:24 AM
Can't teach 6'7", 235. You can teach work hard, catch, hit.

really?? see dampeer, moe.

people need to pull their head out that just because he has X and X measureables doesn't mean that he is going to be a great football player. geebus, look at garrett mills at tulsa. the guy that got ALL the pub that year from jenks and the recruiting services was brian pickryl. who would you rather have on your team now?

PrideTrombone
12/11/2005, 05:18 PM

people need to pull their head out that just because he has X and X measureables doesn't mean that he is going to be a great football player. geebus, look at garrett mills at tulsa. the guy that got ALL the pub that year from jenks and the recruiting services was brian pickryl. who would you rather have on your team now?

jkm is S-M-R-T. I mean S-M-A-R-T. :)

GDC
12/13/2005, 07:58 PM
Gresham tore an ACL according to the DO.

starclassic tama
12/26/2005, 02:24 AM

while i agree with most of this, there are a lot of players that come out of high school with baggage that get their eyes opened by coaches. it's a roulette game. schools are going to take chances on freak athletes, and sometimes they turn out like brent rawls/moe dampeer. it's just a matter of chance. look at miami, they welcome in guys like this every year and i'd say they have had their fair share of success over the years. i think you need a good mixture of good football player and great athletes, and hopefully try to find some middle ground in there.

jccouger
12/26/2005, 02:38 AM
I dont care what any of you say, I want this physical freak on our team.

RedstickSooner
12/27/2005, 08:57 PM
Some stuff you can teach -- but some fundamentals seem resistant to improvement. Like stone hands.

Collier11
12/27/2005, 09:08 PM
Lets be realistic guys, he wouldnt be the #1 te in the nation and a top 100 guy if he isnt good. As far as baggage goes, I think Bob Stoops is smart enough to not take a guy who he thinks will be a cancer, and if he does have some baggage im sure Stoops will take care of that!! Until he starts screwin up at OU or wherever he goes, lets not speculate on what type of person he is!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/27/2005, 11:29 PM
Lets be realistic guys, he wouldnt be the #1 te in the nation and a top 100 guy if he isnt good. As far as baggage goes, I think Bob Stoops is smart enough to not take a guy who he thinks will be a cancer, and if he does have some baggage im sure Stoops will take care of that!! Until he starts screwin up at OU or wherever he goes, lets not speculate on what type of person he is!

well, stoops has taken chances on guys like that before...

Collier11
12/28/2005, 02:21 AM
TRUE, but thats one of the reasons that stoops altered his recruiting style, thats why I say that if Stoops still wants him at OU, then he must not be too high risk, atleast in Stoops eyes?

Mjcpr
12/28/2005, 09:08 AM
well, stoops has taken chances on guys like that before...

Some have worked out and some haven't, I would assume?

You never know....if it's a need position and Stoops is willing to give the guy a chance, I trust him enough to not have a problem with it.

Sooner24
12/31/2005, 01:21 PM

Since my son played football with him for two years I have a good idea what kind of person he is. He's a good kid I just don't think he has the work ethic to play D1 ball. I hope I am wrong and he rehabs his knee and makes it big.

The Consumate Showman
1/6/2006, 11:38 AM
Has Gresham taken any more visits? I know he said he was rescheduling his Miami trip because of his knee situation, but haven't heard anything about him going anywhere else to visit????

GDC
1/8/2006, 02:38 PM
Sooners among Gresham's final four
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
1/8/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Ardmore star says he'd play tight end, H-back or receiver as a college player.
When he was head coach at Northeastern A&M Junior College, Mike Loyd tutored a handful of future NFL players, guys like Lamar Smith, Chris Penn and LeShon Johnson -- guys who made a name for themselves in professional football.

Jermaine Gresham, Loyd says, tops them all.

Loyd coached Gresham at Ardmore the last three years and has known him the last six. Loyd says the precocious tight end / wide receiver prospect is the best athlete he's ever had.

"This is my 20th year in Oklahoma, and I also went to about six training camps in the NFL, and I haven't been around one as athletic as he is," Loyd said. "And I had some pretty good ones.

"He's better than any player I had at NEO, and I had about 20 of 'em play in the NFL."

Gresham is nearly 6-foot-7 and played last season at around 240 pounds. As a senior at Ardmore, he caught 67 passes for 1,170 yards and 24 touchdowns. In three seasons, he caught 145 passes, averaged 16.3 yards per catch and scored 38 TDs through the air.

"He's just now 17 years old," Loyd said. "The other night in the Rose Bowl, they were talking about a bunch of 6-4 receivers creating mismatches.

This kid is a legit 6-6, probably closer to 6-7, and 240-some pounds, and he's 17. What's he going to be this time next year? And he can run."

Gresham turns 18 in June. He reportedly runs the 40-yard dash in 4.6 to 4.7 seconds.

Gresham has narrowed his college choices down to four: Oklahoma, LSU, Miami and USC. He took an unofficial visit to OU on Nov. 26 -- when the Sooners beat Oklahoma State 42-14 -- and took an official visit on Dec. 3.

Prospects are allowed five campus visits, but Gresham says he needs just four. He'll visit USC on Jan. 13, LSU on Jan. 20 and Miami on Jan. 27. The Wednesday following his Miami visit is the first day of signing. Loyd said Gresham won't offer a verbal commitment until he's seen all four schools, and probably won't announce until Feb. 1.

Asked to compare what each school offers, Gresham simply said, "I kind of like the coaches. The coaches that came and talked to me, I get along with them, and I can relate to them.

"It's really just the position they're going to put me in. Wherever they put me at, I just want to play football."

And Gresham said the position he plays isn't important. Most project him as a tight end, but he didn't play a true tight end in high school, and Loyd says he's athletic enough to play wideout in college.

"People think they might use him a lot like what Tulsa did with Garrett Mills," Loyd said. "But Garrett's probably what, 6-2, 6-3? Jermaine right now -- I measured him in stocking feet -- is probably 6-6 , 247.9 pounds the last time I measured him. And athletic."

Loyd said coaches who come to Ardmore to meet Gresham say they would like to "motion him around, play him as an H-(back), play him as a tight end here or there. But he's not going to be that guy that's just a pro-set or twins tight end. That's just wasting his talent."

Said Gresham, "I just want to play. It doesn't matter."

According to national recruiting services, Gresham is a tight end. Rivals.com says he's the No. 1 high school tight end in the nation, the No. 34 prospect overall. Scout.com has him ranked fourth among prep tight ends, 68th overall.

Gresham had a visit to Miami scheduled for late December, but was still recuperating from surgery to repair a torn knee ligament (sustained in the Tigers' state quarterfinal game against Coweta) and decided to postpone. The rehab is coming along well, he said.

"All it is is a mind-set, really, and I've already conquered that," Gresham said. "So I'm good right now."

A source close to Gresham's recruitment said the decision may be down to OU and Miami.

OU's tight end tandem of Joe Jon Finley and Bubba Moses combined for 20 receptions during the 2005 season, and Gresham says he noticed during his unofficial visit to OU that Moses had a season-high three catches, including a touchdown. But Gresham also noticed something else.

"You watch them all year, they hadn't been throwing the ball to the tight end that much," he said. "So I didn't look into that (Moses' big game) too much."

He said OU coaches have talked about restructuring the offense toward what it was when Trent Smith was the Sooner tight end. Smith was listed as a tight end but more often went in motion and flexed out wide. Smith is OU's career leader among tight ends with 164 catches. Gresham also took note of Miami's history of sending tight ends to the NFL, from Bubba Franks to Jeremy Shockey to Kellen Winslow Jr.

"Yeah, that's pretty impressive," he said. "But you can't look too much into that. You've got to look at right now and what they can do for you."

Loyd said Gresham has worked hard since his sophomore year to improve his grades -- "he's a 3.1 or 3.2 GPA right now," Loyd said -- and Gresham said he has scored well enough on the ACT that "right now I just have to finish school.

"I just want to go somewhere where I can be comfortable," he said. "If I go somewhere for four years, I want to enjoy myself and get a good education."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the numbers

Jermaine Gresham's career statistics:Yr. Rec Yds Avg TD
Sr. 67 1170 17.5 24
Jr. 52 736 14.2 4
So. 26 453 17.4 10
Total 145 2359 16.3 38.

LSUdeek
3/29/2006, 12:43 PM
Bumping this thread to ask if Scott D, ArdmoreSooner, and others opinions of Gresham have changed now that he's a Sooner.

Sooner24
3/29/2006, 12:49 PM
I have not heard if he has qualified or not. I hope he does great things at OU but still have my doubts. He has not been in any trouble in high school, as I type this anyway, but I just don't know if the has, or can get, that fire in his belly to compete at the next level. The first thing he is going to have to do is rehab his knee. I would say I still have the same opinion right now.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/29/2006, 01:05 PM
Bumping this thread to ask if Scott D, ArdmoreSooner, and others opinions of Gresham have changed now that he's a Sooner.

based on some subtle things the coaches are saying, no.

The Consumate Showman
3/29/2006, 01:11 PM
I think it's hard to gauge a guy like Gresham. I watched him play Ada and other teams when he was a junior and he looked to me to be pretty promising. When he was a senior, it seemed like he took a little off his game. All I can say is, Dan Cody was a TE at Ada and look where he is. Same thing about Shockey. Jeremy wasn't very impressive @ Ada, but look where he is now. If Gresham can get the fire to want to play...he may very well be a DANGEROUS TE threat...

Sooner24
3/29/2006, 01:55 PM
To be honest, I thought he played with more desire this year then his Soph. or Jr. years.

The Consumate Showman
3/29/2006, 03:45 PM
To be honest, I thought he played with more desire this year then his Soph. or Jr. years.

Maybe it was becasue he did things sort of...effortlessly. The level of competition is about to increase ten fold...what I hope, and what is my biggest concern, is that he can compete at a high level for an entire game. He's going to get ruffed up out there. If he can take the beating, I think he could be great.

Scott D
3/29/2006, 06:31 PM

he'll have to prove it to me on the field, in practice, and in the classroom.

TJKDone
3/29/2006, 07:30 PM
Is he as good as Mr. Alexander?

I hope not.

Hook'em

Desert Sapper
3/30/2006, 05:56 AM
I hope he turns out to be as good as Keith Jackson, the best TE in OU Football History. I'm not going to hold my breath, though.

I'd like to see how good Aaron Cummings is. They were touting him as the next Stephen Alexander.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/30/2006, 09:31 AM
when?

Desert Sapper
3/30/2006, 10:48 AM
when?

When he was being recruited. One of the coaches that coached against him said he had coached against Trent Smith and Stephen Alexander. He said Cummings was better than both of them.

The Consumate Showman
3/30/2006, 11:37 AM
Well, I didn't see Aaron play football, but I did catch him in a basketball game his senior year and I can tell you this: the kid was WEAK. He was getting pushed around by smaller guys all night, both times I watched him. Plus, he's coming off a surgery. On his ankle, is that right??

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/30/2006, 12:16 PM
When he was being recruited. One of the coaches that coached against him said he had coached against Trent Smith and Stephen Alexander. He said Cummings was better than both of them.

really? that's why we waited until a week before signing day to offer him? and even then only when about 20 plus other TEs decided to go somewhere else? and then we were lucky he didn't honor his commitment to tulsa...

he isn't the only guy that we've done this too. we did the same thing to jd runnells

Desert Sapper
3/31/2006, 06:23 AM
we did the same thing to jd runnells

JD...he was a decent enough FB, dontcha think?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/31/2006, 11:22 AM
JD...he was a decent enough FB, dontcha think?

that's kind of what i'm talking about, we have slow played some guys that turned out to be pretty good because of our infatuation with something in other guys that turned out to be average. had selvin young committed to OU, we would have faced runnells for four years at aTm.

Desert Sapper
3/31/2006, 11:53 AM
Of course, every great TE that we've had has come in pretty hyped.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/31/2006, 01:00 PM
trent smith - yep
stephen alexander - yep
joey mickey - yep
adrian cooper - yep
freeman - nope
keith jackson - yep

The Consumate Showman
3/31/2006, 01:11 PM
Have we had anoter TE prospect hyped as much as Gresham since Trent? I don't remember Donley or Bubba or Joe Jon having a lot of hype around them. What about Willie "the bust" Roberts?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/31/2006, 01:30 PM
all of those guys were 3*s so no

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/31/2006, 01:31 PM
just so you know, roberts was a high 4* out of high school

The Consumate Showman
3/31/2006, 04:11 PM
just so you know, roberts was a high 4* out of high school

I wonder what happened to this kid? I remember seeing him for the first time. I thought we had got a good one...man was I wrong....

Desert Sapper
4/1/2006, 02:12 AM
We all know that the stars don't lie. Ever.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/1/2006, 10:37 AM
miami placed him at NEO for pulling jeremy shockey a year early

piusbovis
9/8/2007, 04:04 PM
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I was searching for his game stats on google and this is the first link that came up.

I guess that Gresham kid paid off.

Edit: Woops. Hadn't noticed when I followed the link that it was on the recruiting board. Apologies! Still...Gresham is the e-pit-o-mee of all that is good.

CrimsonHelmet
9/12/2007, 12:27 PM
Ppfffttt....

He had sixteen plays in the Miami game where he was asked to block.

He made nine blocks, missed seven (including two whiffs). By my math, that's not a passing grade.

Throw in the dropped passes and a fumble so far this year, his performance is about the same as it was in high school. He's just doing it on a bigger stage.

wdupyall
9/12/2007, 01:51 PM
I dont think he would be asked to block 16 times during a game back in HS...Gresham is really coming into his own right now...he has been a nice security blanket to Bradford so far. I expect him to get close to 10 TD's catches this season, when he and Kelly are on the same side of the field it almost isnt fair.

insuranceman_22
9/12/2007, 10:56 PM
Lighten up crimsonhelmet. Gresh is doing pretty well. He's made some nice catches and has made some nice blocks. He's not on Finley or Eldridge level with his blocking yet, but he is progressing very nicely.

Just think of it this way, if he'd gone to texas or was a poke, we'd be trying to figure out how the hell to keep the ball out of his hands. I'm glad he's a Sooner.

starrca23
9/13/2007, 11:10 AM
Agreed, He has a good work ethic, and didn't he make a crucial grab in the Big XII title game last year?

birddog
9/27/2007, 01:25 AM
Ppfffttt....

He made nine blocks, missed seven (including two whiffs). By my math, that's not a passing grade.

Throw in the dropped passes and a fumble so far this year, his performance is about the same as it was in high school. He's just doing it on a bigger stage.

what, do you have a personal vendetta against this kid? i think he's a pretty damn good player that continues to improve. there aren't too many sophs in the country that are nfl-polished. the coaches have said all along that he needs to improve his blocking and after the tulsa game, wilson commented on how well he played.

from the DO:

NORMAN — In one sequence, Jermaine Gresham received a bubble screen, then barreled over incoming Tulsa tacklers.

Two plays later, he withstood simultaneous heavy hits from two defensive backs near the goal line while leaping to snag a 21-yard touchdown pass.

But Gresham's blocking is what excited Oklahoma offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson most after OU defeated Tulsa 62-21 last Friday.

As if defenses didn't have enough to worry about with the sophomore tight end from Ardmore.

"He's very talented, and everyone is excited around here about what he can be,” Wilson said. "He has the ball skills, he has the athletic ability, but to block that way will give me more confidence to get him on the field in more situations.

"That was quite honestly one of the biggest steps he's taken since he's been here.”

Gresham has taken several steps at OU, none bigger than his game-changing, 35-yard catch on third-and-10 from the Sooner 1 in the Big 12 title game against Nebraska that led to OU's final scoring drive.

Ever since, Gresham has been a force difficult to reckon with.

At 6-foot-5, 265 pounds, he is a mismatch with shorter and leaner defensive backs.

But with 4.4 speed, Gresham can blow by slower linebackers, too.

"Jermaine is coming into his own as a blocker, which is a big factor,” coach Bob Stoops said. "He's such a big, strong guy, and he runs so well and he's adding the dimension of being physical in his blocking.”

This season, Gresham is second on the team in touchdown catches (three) and third in receptions (13) and receiving yards (149) despite sharing time at his position with Joe Jon Finley and Brody Eldridge.

In a win over Miami — a school he nearly signed with over OU — Gresham had his best game, catching eight passes for 55 yards and a touchdown.

Ironically, Miami is renowned for developing NFL-quality tight ends like Kellen Winslow of the Cleveland Browns, Jeremy Shockey of the New York Giants and Bubba Franks of the Green Bay Packers.

That's one reason why Gresham nearly went to Miami as the nation's top tight end prospect coming out of Ardmore High School.

Big 12 defensive coordinators wish he would have.

"When he goes in there (defenses) are thinking pass,” Wilson said. "It's nice if he can be a consistent blocker we can do some more run game with him in the game.”

jk the sooner fan
9/27/2007, 08:26 AM
there are some "football geniuses" early in this thread....

great call!

Mjcpr
9/27/2007, 08:29 AM
there are some "football geniuses" early in this thread....

great call!

:D

JohnnyMack
9/27/2007, 10:12 AM
Now this is a funny thread.

CrimsonHelmet
9/27/2007, 12:37 PM
"...what, do you have a personal vendetta against this kid?...."

Not against the kid, he's a good kid. Just the manner in which he approaches the game of football in relation to his God-given talents.

Had you seen every game of his three year high school career, you might feel the same. I am not alone in this regard. For each of his hometown supporters, you are likely to find an equal number of detractors (strictly speaking of his football play). There is a reason for this.

The young man's size/speed ratio is off the charts. We're talking world class physical gifts.

I will always begrudge those to whom much is given and who are unmindful of their gifts. Those who treat their inheirited skills as a birthright.

There are millions of current and former high school players who would kill to have his talent. They certainly would maximize his skill sets far beyond what the young man has chosen to exhibit to date.

jk the sooner fan
9/27/2007, 12:53 PM
04 has a new troll......

good to see you in Johnnies a few weeks ago

CrimsonHelmet
9/27/2007, 01:02 PM
Knowing Brandon, he'd probably consider that an insult.

I'm not Martin. Do some research, you'll find out for yourself.

JohnnyMack
9/27/2007, 01:33 PM

Not against the kid, he's a good kid. Just the manner in which he approaches the game of football in relation to his God-given talents.

Had you seen every game of his three year high school career, you might feel the same. I am not alone in this regard. For each of his hometown supporters, you are likely to find an equal number of detractors (strictly speaking of his football play). There is a reason for this.

The young man's size/speed ratio is off the charts. We're talking world class physical gifts.

I will always begrudge those to whom much is given and who are unmindful of their gifts. Those who treat their inheirited skills as a birthright.

There are millions of current and former high school players who would kill to have his talent. They certainly would maximize his skill sets far beyond what the young man has chosen to exhibit to date.

Oh STFU you pompous ***.

Oh. Did I say that out loud? I'm sorry, I got my inner monologue and the keyboard mixed up again.

CrimsonHelmet
9/27/2007, 02:51 PM
Feathers ruffled???

Desert Sapper
9/27/2007, 03:40 PM
Ppfffttt....

Did you honestly grade his blocking? That's either very perceptive or very obsessive. Are you looking for reasons to blast his performance?

JohnnyMack
9/27/2007, 03:51 PM
Feathers ruffled???

Just that you sound like such a complete jerk the way you seem to be riding a high school / college kid. You're one of those small town guys who lives and dies by what a High School football program does, aren't you? You probably beat off to Friday Night Lights.

sitzpinkler
9/27/2007, 04:21 PM

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Did Gresham beat you out for the starting TE position in high school or something?

Seeing as how OU coaches are really high on him for his performance so far, I'd say that makes you an idiot.

CrimsonHelmet
9/27/2007, 04:54 PM
"...Did you honestly grade his blocking? That's either very perceptive or very obsessive. Are you looking for reasons to blast his performance?..."

Lots of people record games. It's not too difficult to go through the tape and watch his blocking attempts, there were only 16 of them. While watching the game live, it appeared to me he had a good game receiving and a mediocre game blocking. I just went back and verified my observations by watching the tape. Everyone seemed to be singing his praises, but no one paid any attention to the other responsibility of his position, which is blocking. His potential is unlimited. But until he realizes that football is a contact sport and starts hitting people with authority, using his size & speed to full advantage, his talent will be wasted.

"...Just that you sound like such a complete jerk the way you seem to be riding a high school / college kid...."

Kinda like his high school teammate, who posted much worse comments about him on this thread??? Like I said earlier, I'm not the only one who shares this opinion.

Are you seriously telling me that if you were 6' 7" 235 lbs, 4.6 forty in high school that you would NOT be a beast on the field????? That you wouldn't be laying people out???? That you would approach contact with a 5' 9" DB like a cheerleader afraid of breaking a nail??? That you would shortarm a ball in a playoff game on 3rd & 10 with your team trailing and desperately in need of a first down because you caught a glimpse of a 5' 10" safety coming your way??? He's not even coming close to his potential, and I dislike that. There are millions of kids who aren't afraid of contact that could put his talent to better use. He was better in the Tulsa game, but he has a long way to go. Right now, he can't hold Steve Zabel's jock.

"...You're one of those small town guys who lives and dies by what a High School football program does, aren't you? You probably beat off to Friday Night Lights...."

Sorry, never seen Friday Night Lights. Do I follow high school football?? Sure, it's football and I love football. Several local high schools have their games telecast on cable TV. I watch them because I prefer watching football to whatever else is on TV at that time. If I lived & died by what Ardmore high school does in football, I'd be dead because they have Mike Loyd for a coach.

You fans can worship at the Gresham altar if you want. Go look at some tape of the physical side of his game, the part of the game where he should be dominant. Go examine his hitting, his blocking.

He can realize his full potential if he wants. I sincerely hope he does. I want him to do so. If he chooses to waste his talents, I will be critical.

birddog
9/27/2007, 04:56 PM
the thing is, he's not wasting his talents. he's progressing, and i might say very quickly. but that's cool, everyone's wrong but you.

JohnnyMack
9/27/2007, 05:01 PM
"...Did you honestly grade his blocking? That's either very perceptive or very obsessive. Are you looking for reasons to blast his performance?..."

Lots of people record games. It's not too difficult to go through the tape and watch his blocking attempts, there were only 16 of them. While watching the game live, it appeared to me he had a good game receiving and a mediocre game blocking. I just went back and verified my observations by watching the tape. Everyone seemed to be singing his praises, but no one paid any attention to the other responsibility of his position, which is blocking. His potential is unlimited. But until he realizes that football is a contact sport and starts hitting people with authority, using his size & speed to full advantage, his talent will be wasted.

"...Just that you sound like such a complete jerk the way you seem to be riding a high school / college kid...."

Kinda like his high school teammate, who posted much worse comments about him on this thread??? Like I said earlier, I'm not the only one who shares this opinion.

Are you seriously telling me that if you were 6' 7" 235 lbs, 4.6 forty in high school that you would NOT be a beast on the field????? That you wouldn't be laying people out???? That you would approach contact with a 5' 9" DB like a cheerleader afraid of breaking a nail??? That you would shortarm a ball in a playoff game on 3rd & 10 with your team trailing and desperately in need of a first down because you caught a glimpse of a 5' 10" safety coming your way??? He's not even coming close to his potential, and I dislike that. There are millions of kids who aren't afraid of contact that could put his talent to better use. He was better in the Tulsa game, but he has a long way to go. Right now, he can't hold Steve Zabel's jock.

"...You're one of those small town guys who lives and dies by what a High School football program does, aren't you? You probably beat off to Friday Night Lights...."

Sorry, never seen Friday Night Lights. Do I follow high school football?? Sure, it's football and I love football. Several local high schools have their games telecast on cable TV. I watch them because I prefer watching football to whatever else is on TV at that time. If I lived & died by what Ardmore high school does in football, I'd be dead because they have Mike Loyd for a coach.

You fans can worship at the Gresham altar if you want. Go look at some tape of the physical side of his game, the part of the game where he should be dominant. Go examine his hitting, his blocking.

He can realize his full potential if he wants. I sincerely hope he does. I want him to do so. If he chooses to waste his talents, I will be critical.

Laces out, Dan.