PDA

View Full Version : #88 goes 88 yards...

44BluesExplosion
10/26/2005, 09:54 AM
I was actually on the sidelines that day in Norman. It's kinda like my 15 minutes of OU fame. I remember standing there in the first quarter and wondering where Nebraska was... The crown in the field was so profound that a short guy (I was 9 at the time) like me couldn't see the other sideline at all.

I was nervous too man. This was NEBRASKA - the second best team in the history of college football as far as I was concerned. Texas is a rivalry of HATE. Nebraska is a rivalry of RESPECT. They are the only group of guys that you help off the terf. The only group of guys that you compliment after a nice play. I don't care who their coaches are now, they are still Nebraska and I still respect them.

Neither here nor there I guess. Either ya feel it or ya don't. I learned about all of this that day in 1985. As Keith was rompin 88 yards on his way to the endzone I was talking my version of 9 year old trash only to be stopped by my pops.

"This is Nebraska son. We save that kind of talk for Texas and every now and then Miami..."

I'm sure he said more than that, but I don't really remember. I do remember after the game (I think we won something like 24-7 after a NU defender got a gift TD) that the players from each team were all over each other - shaking hands, talking, etc... I also remember our trainers helping the NU trainers carry a big lineman back to the locker room. This all might be typical, but it sure seemed to me that those guys truly liked and understood each other. It was respect.

I think we are gonna beat Nebraska this weekend. I think it's going to be the most emotional game we've had this year and I think our boys are gonna do a lot of learning. In the end, I look for us to be better prepared. We win the turnover battle and hence, the game.

OU - 24
NU - 17

royalfan5
10/26/2005, 10:39 AM
This actually my earliest NU/OU memory. I can remember my Aunt flipping out about Keith *&^%$$ Jackson. We still don't bring him up in our family. Granted this is a perspective from the other side, but any time I hear a reference to Keith Jackson I think of this.

Harry Beanbag
10/26/2005, 10:58 AM
That's still one of my favorite plays of all time.

XingTheRubicon
10/26/2005, 11:14 AM
2nd and 8 from the OU 12...whoa and they're comin' the other way with it,.....

Keith Jackson on Keith Jackson

ELP Sooner
10/26/2005, 12:00 PM
Nebraska D-lineman (Chris Spachman?)returned a fumble by ( Don Maloney?) for a TD to prevent the shutout. If memory serves the final was 27-7. Not 100 pct sure of the names or the spelling, if I'm wrong I am sure someone will correct it.

BermudaSooner
10/26/2005, 12:51 PM
Chris Spachman is right, but I think the fumble was charged to Eric Mitchell on the handoff.

44BluesExplosion
10/26/2005, 01:24 PM
Just a quick follow up...

I saw Eric Mitchell's name and had to respond. I'm sure my memory is biased, but I don't know that I have ever seen anyone as athletic as he was. Pure speed going in every direction and the often it was backwards, but man was he fun to watch in 4th quarter blow outs.

ELP Sooner
10/26/2005, 01:49 PM
Eric Mitchel had that run against UCLA in 1986 I think. Sooners Illustrated had a photo of it on the cover and simply titled it "incredible!" He was fun to watch. From Pine Bluff Ark if I remember correctly.

nBoSTP
10/26/2005, 01:57 PM
My first memory of the sooners was when Oklahoma played Nebraska. I think it was 1983, and I remember Spencer Tillman diving into the endzone from the 5 yard line. From that point I was hooked as a sooner for life.

Octavian
10/26/2005, 02:00 PM
Great conversation on the LegendsDVD between Keith and Switzer. They discuss the differences between Mitchell and Jamelle. Keith went to Switz's office and told him that Mitchell was the better athlete and should start. Switz sat him down in front of a TV and explained why he was wrong and Jamelle was a perfect fit for the wishbone. Jackson was impressed and left the office confident in Jamelle. The rest fell into place

BajaOklahoma
10/26/2005, 05:06 PM
You guys are all just babies.
The first Nebraska game I remember is the Game of the Century. Hated the outcome.
Funniest moment is St Tom's face when he found out that he would have to play us in the Orange Bowl - a rematch he didn't want. (1978 season, I think)

I used to respect Nebraska, their tradition, their history , the quality of the program. Ups and downs of both of the programs aside, there was respect.
Last year changed my feelings about the whole Nebraska program. How on Earth did they not inform the coach of the history/traditions involved in this game? How would he not know some of the history, at least enough to have ask questions. Stupid move.

AlbqSooner
10/26/2005, 08:03 PM
I was at the game when Jackson pulled the tight end reverse. One of the coldest games I have been to.

The prior poster is correct. Donnie Maloney from Chickasha coughed up the ball to give up the shut out late in the game. 27-7 final.

On Tillman's dive into the endzone his feet last touched the ground at the 8 or 9. I realize that in a previous discussion of this someone pointed out that such a distance would be close to a world record long jump. However, that is not the case. His extended arms and perhaps his head made it into the end zone. From a long jump perspective he would have leapt five and a half feet to six less. At any rate, it was amazing.

Also correct is that Eric Mitchell was one of the best athletes to attend OU. He was from Pine Bluff.

AlbqSooner
10/26/2005, 08:07 PM
Funniest moment is St Tom's face when he found out that he would have to play us in the Orange Bowl - a rematch he didn't want. (1978 season, I think)
Nahh, the funniest moment was the Bob Devaney Coaches show on Thursday night before the OU game. It had set up that the winner would go to the Orange Bowl and the loser to the Sun.

During the show, which was live, Switzer walked onto the set, handed Devaney a large bag of Tacos and said something to the effect of Enjoy yourself in El Paso. Devaney was speechless and had a stunned aggy look.

yur-out
10/26/2005, 08:14 PM
You guys are all just babies.
The first Nebraska game I remember is the Game of the Century. Hated the outcome.
That's the game for me too Baja. My brother was a soph at OU at the time and I was still in jr. high. That was one game that actually lived up to the hype!! Man!, it was like riding a roller coaster all the UPS and DOWNs of that game! Yep, the end sucked.

daltexsooner
10/26/2005, 08:24 PM
Does anyone have a pic or vid or Tillman's leap?

jk the sooner fan
10/26/2005, 08:28 PM
88 going for 88 (http://www.jimsoklahomasportspage.com/videos/reverse.mpg)

OUGreg723
10/26/2005, 09:35 PM
UNREAL... that play makes me happy every single time. Most Keith plays do. Especially the Hail Mary pass in the Orange Bowl vs. Penn State.

picasso
10/26/2005, 09:42 PM
yep, these younger guys never got to enjoy the great matchups we had with Nebraska in the 70's. I can recall being a little one and fearing Nebraska because they were the only team that could beat my Sooners.
The year Billy Sims ran up and down the field on them, even had a long TD run called back because a Nebraska d-back took a dive hoping the refs would call a clip on Freddie Nixon. turns out he was right.

I remember the year we needed a late sideline run by Buster Rhymes to squeak out a victory in Lincoln. I was so nervous I had to hide in my cousins room on that play. heh.

The Maestro
10/27/2005, 08:48 AM
I was selling Pepsi's in the north end zone when I was walking down an aisle and Keith came running right at me. I swear I split about 6 Pepsi's jumping around. I went and turned my crap in, made my $5 that day and watched the rest of the game Pepsi free.

handcrafted
10/27/2005, 09:34 AM
UNREAL... that play makes me happy every single time. Most Keith plays do. Especially the Hail Mary pass in the Orange Bowl vs. Penn State.

Now now, that was *not* a HM. That was a planned-well-in-advance timing post route. It wasn't at the end of the half or anything. At least, not that I recall.

I watched "The Reverse" from the top of the north ez just below the play clock. Great view of huskers sprawled all over the field missing their jocks. :)

Oh, and Eric Mitchel was Danny Bradley's cousin, or something. Anyway, they're related and yeah they were both from Pine Bluff Ark.

P.S. Thanks for the video. Pants=happy. :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/1/2006, 10:56 AM
Just in time for another Nebraska game. . .

stoopified
12/1/2006, 11:30 AM
That's still one of my favorite plays of all time.Ditto

Wishboned
12/1/2006, 12:46 PM
I was in Korea that year. I was in a room in our barracks with three Nebraska fans, a guy who just hated OU, and me.

By the end of the game I was trashed, they were ****ed, and all was right with the world.

FourKings
12/1/2006, 02:11 PM
Yep that play hooked me too, Coach Switzer came to my HS a couple years before recruiting a DB and TB, and we all met him, loved the guy, but this play....that was it....was over after that!