PDA

View Full Version : nice read on hazewinkel

critical_phil
10/24/2005, 12:00 PM
he's gonna have to win one for us to keep it respectable against the sheep humpers come march.......

Oklahoma wrestler Hazewinkel ready for title

By Robert Przybylo Oklahoma Daily

Norman, OK (U-WIRE) -- For OU junior wrestler Sam Hazewinkel, success is in the genes.

"My dad and uncle were both U.S. Olympians," Hazewinkel said. "I've been blessed because I had the opportunity to be coached by an Olympian (his dad) through my high school years."

It could be another case of like father, like son. After winning the U.S. Open during the summer, Hazewinkel placed second in the World Team Trials and was an alternate for the U.S. team.

"They never put any added pressure on me," he said. "I put all the pressure on myself to succeed and do well."

Hazewinkel has grown to become an important leader on the OU wrestling team.

"He has such a positive attitude," OU senior Wes Roberts said. "Whenever you're down, Sam can say something to lift you back up."

Head coach Jack Spates said Hazewinkel leads by example.

"Of course, Sam is one of our leaders," he said. "He's one of the neatest kids I've ever coached."

Hazewinkel said he sees himself as an encourager. He said he tries his best to keep the morale of the team high.

Hazewinkel has had to overcome some demons himself. In each of the last two years, he has come in third place at the NCAA championships.

"My biggest opponent is myself," Hazewinkel said. "It's just little mistakes at the wrong time. That's all it takes. We have a motto as a team: 'Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.'"

OU junior Joel Flaggert said Hazewinkel is the hardest worker on the team.

Two-time NCAA champion Teyon Ware is Hazewinkel's roommate and one of his biggest supporters.

"I've known Sam for years," Ware said. "He is pound for pound the toughest guy on the team. He deserves to win a championship."

"The thing about Sam is no matter what, he believes he can win," Spates said. "Most of the time, he's right. He has such a passion and enjoys the sport so much."

http://graphics.fansonly.com/graphics/spacer.gif
Hazewinkel is not used to losing. At his high school in Pensacola, Fla., he went undefeated in 140 matches and was a three-time Florida state champion. At OU, he is 75-7 through his first two years.

Deserving to win a championship and winning one are two different things, Hazewinkel said. "I'm tired of third place," he said. "I've seen Teyon got his championships. I want one of my own. A big advantage is having the NCAA championships in Oklahoma City at the Ford Center. I'm going to wrestle hard in front of the hometown fans."

GDC
10/24/2005, 07:45 PM
We need a wrestling forum for the marines on this board! Sam should be national champ this year, of course I thought that last year too.

critical_phil
10/24/2005, 08:49 PM
We need a wrestling forum for the marines on this board! Sam should be national champ this year, of course I thought that last year too.

great with me, but i must clarify one thing. HM-8427, not marine. i was reminded of this fact every day for almost 5 years.........

on hazewinkel; i think he's gonna be an all-timer before he's done with his career (especially at the international level). he's a bona fide star in greco and folkstyle, he's just gotta learn to take care of business in march..

GDC
10/24/2005, 08:58 PM
great with me, but i must clarify one thing. HM-8427, not marine. i was reminded of this fact every day for almost 5 years.........

on hazewinkel; i think he's gonna be an all-timer before he's done with his career (especially at the international level). he's a bona fide star in greco and folkstyle, he's just gotta learn to take care of business in march..

Okay, but I was thinking MiccoMacey and usmc-sooner follow the sport too, maybe some others.

MiccoMacey
10/30/2005, 11:59 PM
MiccoMacey does follow the sport, but I'm not a jarhead...I'm an ol' Army boy.

I was going to be a marine, but I couldn't pass their physical test.

I couldn't fit my head in a jar...:D

Not sure if usmc-sooner is a marine or not...;)

And OU is ranked second right now, behind OSU who has potentially the best team ever assembled.

We've got six wrestlers ranked in the top six and five in the top five. We could be good again this year.

I'd just like to get to a point where we expect a National Champ or two AND an All-American or two every year. I carry my football greed over into OU wrestling. :D