10/20/2005, 11:52 PM
Tell me your thoughts on the subject.

This is a pole.

SOONER44EVER
10/20/2005, 11:54 PM
Is there enough vaccine for the birds?

BajaOklahoma
10/21/2005, 12:02 AM
The more I read about it, the more concerned I get.
Work on good handwashing. And I foresee the use of masks in our future.

GottaHavePride
10/21/2005, 12:45 AM
I had that once. I am much better now. and also, I can fly.

I am flyiiiiing....

OUAndy1807
10/21/2005, 12:47 AM
ebola, killer bees, sars, mad cow, etc...

just another in a long list of media hype.

OUthunder
10/21/2005, 07:16 AM
Can I still eat eggs?

Okla-homey
10/21/2005, 08:18 AM
The world is getting a little crowded again anyway. Nature tends to do a little "re-boot" at least once every century to thin the herd.

If it gets me, so what? I've had a good life. If not, rush hour traffic will certainly be diminished...so its all good. ;)

achiro
10/21/2005, 08:28 AM
ebola, killer bees, sars, mad cow, etc...

just another in a long list of media hype.
Yep!
My understanding from things I've read(though maybe not completely accurate, Im not sure that any of the info out there is) Nobodies even sure if this can be transfered to humans. Best they can tell is that people in Asia that MAY have caught it from cross contamination, could have only gotten it from eating poultry with it but not just air exposure.
Also, we keep hearing about how hundreds of thousands could die...I call BS on that. In Asia, where 10 people share a twin size bed, there were only 60 some deaths from the flu and who knows what living conditions those people where in.

yermom
10/21/2005, 10:03 AM
well, it's not like it hasn't happened before...

OUthunder
10/21/2005, 10:04 AM
Where is the "Bird Poo" copycat thread at?

You folks are slipping.

C&CDean
10/21/2005, 10:05 AM
I have taken exactly one flu shot in my entire life. In about 1976, and the only reason I took it was because my First Sergeant threatened to put me on permanent extra-duty if I didn't.

The next 2 weeks I was the sickest I've ever been in my life. I caught the flu one other time in 1986. That was the last time I called in sick at work.

Homey don't do flu shots. Homey don't buy the bull**** hype either.

Harry Beanbag
10/21/2005, 10:15 AM
Yep!
My understanding from things I've read(though maybe not completely accurate, Im not sure that any of the info out there is) Nobodies even sure if this can be transfered to humans. Best they can tell is that people in Asia that MAY have caught it from cross contamination, could have only gotten it from eating poultry with it but not just air exposure.
Also, we keep hearing about how hundreds of thousands could die...I call BS on that. In Asia, where 10 people share a twin size bed, there were only 60 some deaths from the flu and who knows what living conditions those people where in.

From what I understand, most of the people who have contracted it work in the poultry industry. Apparently, it isn't spread from human to human yet. I guess what they are really worried about is a human getting it who is already sick with a different flu virus and the two viruses mutating together to form some monster that will be communicable to other humans and can't be controlled.

Nobody knows, but I think they're saying if it gets bad it'll be next year not this year.

All that being said, it is definitely Bush's fault.:D

Boarder
10/21/2005, 10:19 AM
I have taken exactly one flu shot in my entire life. In about 1976, and the only reason I took it was because my First Sergeant threatened to put me on permanent extra-duty if I didn't.

The next 2 weeks I was the sickest I've ever been in my life. I caught the flu one other time in 1986. That was the last time I called in sick at work.

Homey don't do flu shots. Homey don't buy the bull**** hype either.
Mom had Doc Lee come to the shop and give everyone here (but one...ME) a flu shot last year. I told them they were crazy. 4 out of 6 of them got the flu.

This Homey don't do flu shots, either.

Mjcpr
10/21/2005, 10:19 AM
From what I understand, most of the people who have contracted it work in the poultry industry.
Stanley's a dead man. He's been choking chickens since he could crawl.

Herr Scholz
10/21/2005, 10:40 AM
This bird flu has been around since '97 and hasn't hit the tipping point where it mutates to a human-to-human virus. Who knows if it ever will. If it does, people will certainly die because there's no vaccine for it. It's unrelated to any strain of flu that people have immunity for. Basically, you think you have the regular flu until you get pneumonia and your lungs fill up with blood and fluid and you're dead in 2 days.

There is a drug that mitigates the effects of it but only one small company in Switzerland makes it. Bush didn't have the foresight to order any so the US would be hit hard if it spread this winter.

Beano's Fourth Chin
10/21/2005, 10:43 AM
Thank you Mr. Gladwell.

1stTimeCaller
10/21/2005, 10:45 AM
This bird flu has been around since '97 and hasn't hit the tipping point where it mutates to a human-to-human virus. Who knows if it ever will. If it does, people will certainly die because there's no vaccine for it. It's unrelated to any strain of flu that people have immunity for. Basically, you think you have the regular flu until you get pneumonia and your lungs fill up with blood and fluid and you're dead in 2 days.

There is a drug that mitigates the effects of it but only one small company in Switzerland makes it. Bush didn't have the foresight to order any so the US would be hit hard if it spread this winter.

WOW, just wow. :rolleyes:

yermom
10/21/2005, 10:51 AM
well, he doesn't say when it was developed

C&CDean
10/21/2005, 10:59 AM
Bush didn't have the foresight to order any so the US would be hit hard if it spread this winter.

Tell me you didn't really just type that? Where's the winky?

And if you're serious, I may just bane you for typing one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen on the board. I suppose it's Bush's fault you forgot to use a rubber last night - you know, cause he didn't get enough of them out to the Planned Parenthood office you cop your free condoms at.

Okla-homey
10/21/2005, 11:06 AM
if you're not freaked-out enough about the bird flu yet...read this puppy.

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/8575/zzzzstand8be.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Herr Scholz
10/21/2005, 11:10 AM
That drug is called Tamiflu and it's made by the drug company Roche. It was only recently developed. On Primetime on ABC, reps from that company said they were very surprised that the US failed to order any as every other developed country had done so. Now, it's too late to do so for this flu season as the company is at their manufacturing capacity. Certainly, Bush bears some responsibility with this failure. He's a category 5 President.

Now, Rep Charls Schumer from NY is trying to force Roche to let other drug companies produce the drug to mitigate the Bush administration's failure in this matter.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051020/NEWS01/510200323/1006/NEWS

C&CDean
10/21/2005, 11:13 AM
Using Herr's rationale, Bush bears some responsibility for the blazin' **** I took this morning from eating blazin' wings a BW3s. You know, he didn't order enough ice cream?

Sometimes you're way over the top Herr. WAY. This would be one of those times.

1stTimeCaller
10/21/2005, 11:13 AM
would you go get a shot of this Tamiflu if it was avaliable? And did you say it prevents/cures birdflu in humans or just lengthens the death timeline from 2 days to 2 weeks?

Herr Scholz
10/21/2005, 11:15 AM
would you go get a shot of this Tamiflu if it was avaliable? And did you say it prevents/cures birdflu in humans or just lengthens the death timeline from 2 days to 2 weeks?
Yes, I would. It's been shown to keep people alive.

1stTimeCaller
10/21/2005, 11:16 AM
right on.

Is the birdflu a greater danger to us than West Nile is? I don't watch the news so I reallt don't know.

SCOUT
10/21/2005, 11:17 AM
Did you know that Bush did not even try to find a cure for this disease? We need a leader who is willing to roll up their shirtsleeves and not sit back in their ivory towers and wait for the evil pharmacueitcal companies to do all the work. :rolleyes:

Herr Scholz
Using Herr's rationale, Bush bears some responsibility for the blazin' **** I took this morning from eating blazin' wings a BW3s. You know, he didn't order enough ice cream?

Sometimes you're way over the top Herr. WAY. This would be one of those times.
You seriously don't think it's the responsibility of the US federal government to protect its citizens from this type of pandemic? Well, 3 million Americans died, and the feds didn't do anything to prevent it (even though they could have) but it's not their fault? This could be a national crisis.

Herr Scholz
right on.

Is the birdflu a greater danger to us than West Nile is? I don't watch the news so I reallt don't know.
About 70% of the people that have contracted the virus from birds have died.

C&CDean
10/21/2005, 11:23 AM

And exactly how many people is that Herr? total? You libs kill me with your paranoia.

Beano's Fourth Chin
10/21/2005, 11:38 AM
http://www.pitt.edu/~mrmst55/caray6.jpg
I hope I don't get it.

Harry Beanbag
10/21/2005, 12:25 PM
You seriously don't think it's the responsibility of the US federal government to protect its citizens from this type of pandemic? Well, 3 million Americans died, and the feds didn't do anything to prevent it (even though they could have) but it's not their fault? This could be a national crisis.

I admit I haven't been watching the news much lately, but when did this happen? Is it over yet? Should I go hide in the mountains or something?

Herr Scholz
10/21/2005, 01:03 PM
And exactly how many people is that Herr? total? You libs kill me with your paranoia.
Only about 60 people have been confirmed to have died from it so far. And like I said, maybe it will never mutate to a virus that humans can give each other. It would have been smart to be prepared with the Tamiflu drug in case though.

yermom
10/21/2005, 01:06 PM
can't you already get Tamiflu here? is there just not enough of it or something?

Boarder
10/21/2005, 01:11 PM
Only about 60 people have been confirmed to have died from it so far. And like I said, maybe it will never mutate to a virus that humans can give each other. It would have been smart to be prepared with the Tamiflu drug in case though.
So, 60 out of 85 people have died? 85 out of what, a Billion? So, we should blame President Bush for not buying a stockpile of drugs that may or may not work for something that may or may not come here and so far has killed .00000006% of the population of where it is?

Well, sign me up. That horrible person! How DARE he!

Herr Scholz
10/21/2005, 01:14 PM
can't you already get Tamiflu here? is there just not enough of it or something?
No, there's not enough of it and that company won't let other pharmaceutical companies make it.

captain_surly
10/21/2005, 01:20 PM
Yep!
My understanding from things I've read(though maybe not completely accurate, Im not sure that any of the info out there is) Nobodies even sure if this can be transfered to humans. Best they can tell is that people in Asia that MAY have caught it from cross contamination, could have only gotten it from eating poultry with it but not just air exposure. Also, we keep hearing about how hundreds of thousands could die...I call BS on that. In Asia, where 10 people share a twin size bed, there were only 60 some deaths from the flu and who knows what living conditions those people where in.

Entirely accurate except for the part about eating. I don't believe there's any known virus that will survive 160 degrees for 3 minutes. So if your chicken, duck or turkey is done that won't be a problem. Another contributing factor to the spread in Asia is the way they sell poultry there. They have places called "wet markets". You walk up, select your live chicken while he's still in the pen and they dress him on the spot. There are a few of those in the U.S. but most people don't get near live chickens unless it's at the County Fair.

From what I understand, most of the people who have contracted it work in the poultry industry. Apparently, it isn't spread from human to human yet. I guess what they are really worried about is a human getting it who is already sick with a different flu virus and the two viruses mutating together to form some monster that will be communicable to other humans and can't be controlled.
Nobody knows, but I think they're saying if it gets bad it'll be next year not this year.

All that being said, it is definitely Bush's fault.:D

That is where the danger lies. There is already work being done on a vaccine for the kind you can catch directly from birds but until there really is a mutated form not much can be done for that.

nmsoonergirl
10/21/2005, 01:23 PM
Much more worrisome than the bird flu, IMHO

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-09/nioa-ess090705.php

It is to the point that at any given time we have at least three or four kiddos hospitalized with this, and quite a few of them have been incredibly sick with it. Scary stuff, especially considering all the kids were perfectly healthy to start with.

Widescreen
10/21/2005, 01:42 PM

You should watch this week's South Park. It deals with the irrational hysteria around global warming but it applies here too.

WE DIDN'T LISTEN!!!!

:D

Herr Scholz
10/21/2005, 02:03 PM
You should watch this week's South Park. It deals with the irrational hysteria around global warming but it applies here too.

WE DIDN'T LISTEN!!!!

I saw that. :D

GottaHavePride
10/21/2005, 02:26 PM

WE DIDN'T LISTEN!!!!

I broke the dam.

IB4OU2
10/21/2005, 02:54 PM
I broke the dam.

No..I broke the dam.

Penguin
10/21/2005, 03:11 PM
No..I broke the dam.
I literally broke the dam.

yermom
10/21/2005, 03:16 PM
me too, i broke the dam

GDC
10/24/2005, 08:14 PM

And if you're serious, I may just bane you for typing one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen on the board. I suppose it's Bush's fault you forgot to use a rubber last night - you know, cause he didn't get enough of them out to the Planned Parenthood office you cop your free condoms at.

Yes, please ban him. :texan:

Oldnslo
10/24/2005, 08:34 PM
viri and bacteria mutate.

Yeah, when I dwell on this subject, it sort of gives me The Stand sort of willies. Spanish flu was kind of bad for human beings. And resistant staph is way bad. Locker rooms, espeically with hot tubs, are a hotbed of resistant staph, fwiw.

OTOH, swine flu didn't exactly wipe us out.

Penguin
10/24/2005, 08:46 PM
Mad cow, people! Mad cow disease is the real killer!

OUinFLA
10/24/2005, 08:55 PM

uh.........isnt that a rather long list?

MamaMia
10/24/2005, 10:55 PM
I will get 4 flu shots this year just in case
I got a flu shot too, but I dont think its for the bird flu. :)

Herr Scholz
10/25/2005, 09:51 AM
Yes, please ban him. :texan:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2321/844/1600/baby%20crying.jpg

GDC
10/25/2005, 11:37 AM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2321/844/1600/baby%20crying.jpg

nice red x, genius, it matches your spek bars :rolleyes: :texan:

achiro
10/25/2005, 03:05 PM
http://video.lisarein.com/dailyshow/oct2005/10-06-05/10-6-05-avianflu.mov
or
http://video.lisarein.com/dailyshow/oct2005/10-06-05/mp3/10-6-05-avianflu.mp3

heh!

Penguin
6/27/2007, 01:48 AM
How many people who posted in this thread have died from the bird flu?

soonerboomer93
6/27/2007, 01:51 AM
I did

olevetonahill
6/27/2007, 06:50 AM
Im lingering :eek:

OUDoc
6/27/2007, 08:20 AM
Most of us, I believe.

KABOOKIE
10/22/2009, 09:42 PM
Shortages of H1N1 vaccine. I BLAME OBAMA!!!!

jkjsooner
10/23/2009, 04:18 PM
Yep!

Nobody is saying hundreds of thousands could die with the current strain of bird flu. What they're saying is that IF it mutates to become transmissible from human to human and IF it retains its lethality, it will be a big big deal. It will dwarf the Spanish flu.

Keep in mind, right now it's very hard to contract but of those that they know who have had it, 60% have died.

One reason it is not (easily) transmissible is that the virus tends to attach/grow lower in the lungs and not in the mouth, esophogus (sp?), etc. That might be one reason it's so deadly. So, maybe you could make an argument that becomming human transmissible and retaining lethality is not probably.

BTW, I'm just reporting it as I understand it. I haven't had a biology class since 1987 and that was in 10th grade....

jkjsooner
10/23/2009, 04:25 PM
Gotta love it when I see a "new" thread, comment on a post, and then realize all but one post were made months ago. Doh!

Anyway, got my H1N1 shot today. Got a 4 week old. I can't bring anything home to him.