PDA

View Full Version : IHS Daily Basketball Preview- Mike Neal

IronHorseSooner
10/19/2005, 08:27 AM
OVERALL:
Mike Neal was named by the Big XII Coaches as the Co-Preseason Newcomer of the Year. He was a two time JUCO All-American at Lon Morris JC. He shot an amazing 41% from 3-point range, and 88% from the FT line, a high standard, no matter the level.

STRENGTHS:
1. 3-Point Shooting: See above stats. 41% is an amazing amount. If he hits at near that level at OU, OU will be darn close to unbeatable. Someone said that when he is on, he can make the basket look like a wheel barrow.
2. FT-Shooting: See above stats, again. This is close to JJ Redick/ Hollis Price type numbers. He will be the guy at the end of games who will have the ball in his hands a lot.
3. BBALL IQ: Supposedly, he understands screens and passing very well. The great shooters have already made the shot prior to getting the ball by getting into position to receive the pass or set up the screen. If the big men improve their passing to the perimeter, Neal could be a player who averages 15 points a game.

WEAKNESSES:
1. Driving Game: Having not seen him play (and please correct me if I'm wrong), but often 3-point shooters fall in love with their shot, and don't try to drive the ball. JJ Redick is a good example of this. Last year, he developed a driving game, and it helped him get to the line, where he's automatic. Neal needs to do this so defensive players don't just "stay in his shirt" all game.
2. Defensive Schemes: In the KS system, defense is a must. He must develop himself into a sound defensive player within this system. Also, with a lot of shooter, if their shot is off, they lose focus, and they are lit up defensively. Again, he might be a great defensive player, and if someone has seen him play, please let us know about his defensive game.
3. Rebounding: This might be nitpicking. KS's guards (see Everett, Godbold) crash the boards, much like an NBA team. He needs to prove that he can rebound, if needed. However, he might be better served to hang at the line and get the kick-out from the offensive rebound.

Former Sooner Comparison: Tim McAlester
NBA Comparison: Juan Dixon

Tomorrow: Chris Walker

crawfish
10/19/2005, 08:37 AM
I don't think most give him credit for being a two-time JUCO all-american. That's quite an accomplishment, and about as sure a thing as you'll ever recruit from the JUCO ranks.

I'm excited about the guy.

suncoastsooner7
10/19/2005, 08:51 AM
I don't think most give him credit for being a two-time JUCO all-american. That's quite an accomplishment, and about as sure a thing as you'll ever recruit from the JUCO ranks.

I'm excited about the guy.

As well we should all be. We finally have the 3 point shooter we have being needing for the final piece in the puzzle. This is going to be a season to remember if Neal can come in and perform comparably to the stats he put up in JUCO.

IronHorseSooner
10/19/2005, 11:33 AM
If he puts up his JUCO numbers, Nate Carter puts up his pre-transfer numbers, and the other three starters are "business as usual," I hate to make predictions, but they will be cutting down the nets in April. This team just has too many offensive and defensive weapons. They will be the College BBALL version of the Colts. The only things that have stopped this team in the past have been the patented offensive droughts.

Salt City Sooner
10/19/2005, 12:55 PM
"when he is on, he can make the basket look like a wheel barrow."
More like a horsetank. He made it here for nationals his freshman year, & by luck (I was scouting Taj, not Mike, who OU was not in on at the time) I happened to be in the stands for a game of his in which he only buried ELEVEN treys, & I don't mean the kind that you look down at his feet to make sure he was behind the arc. I'm not suggesting Calvin Curry-type shots or anything like that, but suffice it to say, he was well within his comfort zone from 22-23 feet.

stoopified
10/19/2005, 11:01 PM
Calvin Curry?I shudder at the memory.

IronHorseSooner
10/20/2005, 01:40 AM
Calvin Curry- 6'7" Guard from Compton. There's a blast from the past.

Salt City Sooner
10/20/2005, 01:36 PM
Mike's got just a TAAAAAD more discipline about him (not that that's saying much). ;)