PDA

View Full Version : My Basketball Question of the Week: Rant!

IronHorseSooner
10/18/2005, 01:17 PM
Riddle me this: WHY IN THE WORLD IS TERRELL EVERETT ON THE BIG XII SECOND TEAM, AND JAMESON CURRY IS ON THE FIRST TEAM?!?!?!?!?!? :eddie:

See my arguments on Gibson V. Everett. Curry is good, but he's not better than Everett, at least not right now. How can the leader in assists from the prior season on a team that won the Big XII (don't anybody give me this co-champion crock. You either won it, or you didn't) not be on the first team? I thought he would be a shoo-in for the first team. At least the Coaches have somethings right, with Taj Gray being the Pre-Season Player of the Year, and Mike Neal as the Pre-Season Co-Newcomer of the Year. I'm surprised :rolleyes: that people didn't have PJ Tucker as the Pre-Season Player of the Year. With as much sunshine as they've been pumping up his "fourth point of contact (it's an Army term)", it's no wonder that his uniform is a shade of orange! On Seth Davis's analysis of Texas, he said that Tucker was the "Heart and Soul" of the Texas team. Let me tell you something about duty. If you are the "Heart and Soul" of a team, or a leader, YOU DON'T STOP GOING TO CLASS and basically kill your season! They had a chance to win the Big XII last year. I would say that the glue of that team is Buckman. Without him stepping up, Texas probably wouldn't have gone to the tourney. He's a good player, but let's see what he does for a full season....I also don't get all of the sunshine-pumping into Kansas and OSU. TTEch and ISU are better. If people believe that either Kansas or OSU can just "plug-in" young stars to replace vital players, just look at our football team this year, and that should tell you enough about relying on young talent to carry you. TTech and ISU are the 3rd and 4th best teams in the conference, period. Besides, Kansas has a "me" guy as a relied upon Freshman (Rush, and, yes, I thought the same of him when OU was leading on him), and OSU has a guy who is already having legal problems as a guy who they are relying on to be a big contributor. They are 5th and 6th in the conference, respectively.

King Crimson
10/18/2005, 11:52 PM
i was pretty impressed with Buckman last year. i saw them in person at CU and he had like 20+ boards. now, Gibson was completely controlled by CU's guard rotation for most of the game.....kid's got game and that's easy to see but they schooled him and he started acting like a little punkass. Roby at CU is a player...why he gets no love on the Big XII preseason list is beyond me. right now, he's better than Gibson and Curry....he may not have the "upside" they do.....but the kid can score the rock.

i generally agree about Tech and ISU--having experienced big guards who can score is worth a lot. i think Kansas might be pretty stout by the end of the year....but they'll lose a few on the road.

IronHorseSooner
10/19/2005, 01:28 AM
When I do my "team-by-team" break down later, I will mention Roby as one of the toughest match-ups in the conference. He reminds me of a guy who a darn good career at Colorado, Danny Boyce. I watched Roby light-up Texass in the Big XII tourney. I have Colorado as a sleeper this year.

King Crimson
10/19/2005, 01:40 AM
When I do my "team-by-team" break down later, I will mention Roby as one of the toughest match-ups in the conference. He reminds me of a guy who a darn good career at Colorado, Danny Boyce. I watched Roby light-up Texass in the Big XII tourney. I have Colorado as a sleeper this year.

problem with Donnie Boyce was (like most CU players) he never got any better during the time he was there. he played for Joe Harrington and not Patton--but the same is true for Patton....though Patton was his recruiting ace in charge of getting Chauncey Billups. After Harrington lost at home to SW Utah State...he was fired and the new interim Patton Buffs played Kansas to the wire.....Ricardo got the job. and since he was the ticket to Billups....was given a contract.

I work at CU, and i used to see Donnie around all the time...he was a good kid. he had a shot until he broke his leg in the conference tournament against us....that and having a crap coach. he played a few games with Atlanta but didn't hang on.

i think if CU gets some inside play, they could surprise some people....though Ricardo is kind of a numbskull. great guy and his kids graduate, but he's no genius.

they also some crazy number like 10 seniors on this team. how?

IronHorseSooner
10/19/2005, 05:00 AM
Great insight. I know that not only in that game against us did it effect Colorado, but it also did something to the psyche of the OU team (KS's first). It seemed to deflate both teams, and lasted into the next game for OU. It was also the same game where Ryan Minor made that shot from his back...I agree, CU has never really had good coaches. Patton's about the best that they have had. I always thought that if they could run a Billy Tubbs/ Paul Westhead style system, that they could be successful by conditioning and altitude. I remember the teams that had Shaun Vandiver on them, and thought that if he had a better supporting cast and coaching, he would've been a star....No clear reason how they have so many seniors. I think it is that had a good bit of transfers. They have the talent to make some noise (Roby, Ashby, Osborne), but it might be the wrong year. Just about everybody (to include Baylor) has talent and could beat the upper division teams.... The two best conferences in the country this year will be the Big XII and the Big East.