PDA

View Full Version : IHS Daily Basketball Preview- David Godbold

IronHorseSooner
10/18/2005, 05:39 AM
OVERALL: Big strong guard who is a defensive stopper. KS usually puts him on the other teams best perimeter player to shut them down. An efficient shooter who must continue to improve his outside game.

STRENGTHS:
1. Defense: Maybe the Sooners' best overall defensive player. In games where teams tried to take advantage of the match-up with Lavender, Godbold came in, and they no longer had success. He's almost the perfect defender. He has length, strength, court awareness, a high BBALL IQ, and is very athletic.
2. Rebouding: Due to his size (6'5") he can go inside and rebound with the big boys. He can either rebound his position, or come from out of his area to pull down the board.
3. Clutch Shooting: In the Texas and Kansas games, he stepped up and hit some big threes. He must keep this up to take pressure off of inside game.

WEAKNESSES:
1. Selflessness: Godbold is the prototypical KS-type player. He's not a flashy, ESPN-highlight-looking type of player. He has a scoring knack. If he's open, or can drive, he must do this. If so, he's another weapon in the deep Sooner arsenal.
2. Ball-handling: He's not a bad ball handler, but he might have to handle it more. If he has the opportunity to push the ball up the court and lead the break, he must do this. He's not going to be a point guard (as he's a wing guard), but he has to be able to take some pressure off of Everett/ Walker/ Johnson/ Neal.
3. Patience: Not say that he is impatient, in the least, but he has to make the most of his opportunities. He will likely be the back-up for two of the more talented wing players in the conference: Neal and Carter. He has to continue to improve his 3-point shooting and look to score when he has the opportunity. Again, he might be the best 6th-man in the conference.

Former OU Comparison: Bryatt Vann
NBA Comparison: Bruce Bowen

Tomorrow: Mike Neal

Salt City Sooner
10/18/2005, 01:29 PM
I read the other day where Sampson said that DG's the most improved player on the team, which says a lot. I agree that he needs to improve the outside shot, but he was none too shabby with it last year. A lot of people don't realize it, but percentage-wise, he was actually OU's best 3 point shooter in conference play, albeit on a considerably limited # of attempts as compared to the other guards. He also hit his free throws very well, which is something that not a lot of others on last year's team can say.

King Crimson
10/18/2005, 11:56 PM
He also hit his free throws very well, which is something that not a lot of others on last year's team can say.

that's the truth.

IronHorseSooner
10/19/2005, 01:22 AM
I agree, he was the best 3-point shooter, and his game is actually one of the most well-rounded on the team. I remember him knocking down something like 4-6 in his first game, and he killed Texass. Depending on how KS uses him, he one of the best 6th men around. If he becomes known for this 3-point shooting, he open up the inside more, which is dangerous for opponents.

stoopified
10/19/2005, 11:56 PM
Reminds me more of Dave Seiger than Vann.Seiger was quiet,efficent, and tough . Vann often seemed more bent on making flashy plays rather than winning plays.Imho not true of Sieger or Godbold, both are perfect examples of team players.BTW Iron Horse I do not mean to discredit your analysis ,as far as I can tell they seem to be spot on .It is just for the most part the current players remind me of different Sooner players that I have seen in the past.

IronHorseSooner
10/20/2005, 01:47 AM
More of it was his build and physicality. I thought of Sieg as more of a spot-up 3-point shooter. Vann was more physical. We've never truly had a player like Godbold before. His NBA Comparison is more like his ability. He is a LOCK DOWN defender. I hope Gibson and Curry get a face-full of him.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/20/2005, 04:28 PM
my comparison last year was shane battier. of course, since he plays for OU he won't get the 19.3 charges taken per game like battier did, but anyway...