PDA

View Full Version : You're welcome White Sox, the Umps gave you that one...

colleyvillesooner
10/12/2005, 10:05 PM
Wow. This will be major news tomorrow.

Video coming.

Stanley1
10/12/2005, 10:06 PM
Bad call, but the catcher should have held up before just rolling the ball out to the mound. Bad call though.

Sooner98
10/12/2005, 10:12 PM
No way. He clearly caught the ball, and there's no way he would have assumed the ump would have thought otherwise.

Baseball needs instant replay.

OUthunder
10/12/2005, 10:13 PM
If the Angels just got robbed then ....****ing Yippee!

Ardmore_Sooner
10/12/2005, 10:14 PM
Doesn't matter Cards are going to win. This game just decides who they beat! :)

colleyvillesooner
10/12/2005, 10:16 PM
Here it is:

The White Sox's Gift (http://colleyvillesooner.com/Videos/whitesox.wmv)

You be the judge. Home plate ump called him out twice. I'd have head for the dugout too.

AustinTXHorn
10/12/2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the video. That's horrible. Really really bad.

If I were an Angel fan, I'd be rioting by now. Glad I'm not.

jk the sooner fan
10/12/2005, 10:22 PM
oh yeah, they got jobbed big time.......horrible call, that ump wont be behind the plate for the rest of the year

Sooner04
10/12/2005, 11:18 PM
This one's going right up there with Denkinger in '85 and Richie Garcia calling Jeter's pop fly a home run in '96.

This whole crew ought to be shipped off to the Cape Cod League.

FOR THE WINTER!

AustinTXHorn
10/12/2005, 11:21 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/jeffrey_maier.jpg

GrapevineSooner
10/12/2005, 11:51 PM
Why is it here in the year 2005 of our good, clean, sweet, lord that baseball is the ONLY major sport that doesn't embrace the righteousness that is replay?

I mean, seriously. This call is all the evidence you'll ever need.

AllAboutThe'O'
10/12/2005, 11:57 PM
No way that could be a called third strike. And I'm not a fan of either team, just a "neutral observer."
Oh well, at least this means this series gets more compelling when it shifts to the Big A.

OUAndy1807
10/13/2005, 12:01 AM
who cares? it's football season.

OUAndy1807
10/13/2005, 12:05 AM
I can't believe they gave that guy the winning run just for getting to first and then called the game.

Unless I'm missing something, it is a huge miscall, but the sox could have still gotten out of the inning.

GrapevineSooner
10/13/2005, 12:06 AM
What's worse is that assclown, even after watching the play several times on slow-motion replay, is standing by his call.

I'd have to say baseball umpires are among the most arrogant sports officials in all of sports. Even moreso than NBA refs.

GrapevineSooner
10/13/2005, 12:07 AM
I can't believe they gave that guy the winning run just for getting to first and then called the game.

Unless I'm missing something, it is a huge miscall, but the sox could have still gotten out of the inning.
Well, they pinch ran for A.J. and the guy who pinch ran stole second and then scored the 'winning' run on a single.

But why should the Angels be put in that position when they already got the third out of the inning?

Ordinarily, I'd agree here. But the umps clearly robbed the Halos a chance to win it in the 10th.

colleyvillesooner
10/13/2005, 12:10 AM
I'd have to say baseball umpires are among the most arrogant sports officials in all of sports. Even moreso than NBA refs.

GRAPEVINE!! Easy now. As arrogant as NBA refs, that's just crazy talk! ;)

afs
10/13/2005, 12:15 AM
that ump is from Las Cruces, NM. I was watching Albq and El Paso sports tonight. the summary was he screwed up majorly and will have to pay dearly for it. the Albq guy seemed embarrased that he was from the state of New Mexico.

perhaps i should hunt down his house tomorrow and get some pictures...

OUAndy1807
10/13/2005, 12:19 AM
Well, they pinch ran for A.J. and the guy who pinch ran stole second and then scored the 'winning' run on a single.

But why should the Angels be put in that position when they already got the third out of the inning?

Ordinarily, I'd agree here. But the umps clearly robbed the Halos a chance to win it in the 10th.eh, **** happens. if the closer strikes out the next dude, there's not a problem. instead, he gives up a game winning double.

colleyvillesooner
10/13/2005, 12:20 AM
eh, **** happens. if the closer strikes out the next dude, there's not a problem. instead, he gives up a game winning double.

He shouldn't have even had to face the next dude...

http://www.bigtoptoys.net/images/merry-go-round.jpg

OUAndy1807
10/13/2005, 12:24 AM
but when he did, he should have handled his business because in life sometimes **** happens and you have to deal with it.

colleyvillesooner
10/13/2005, 12:26 AM
but when he did, he should have handled his business because in life sometimes **** happens and you have to deal with it.

you deal with it :D

OUAndy1807
10/13/2005, 12:31 AM
NO YOU DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!

nah, I understand that it's a crappy call and that it sucks for the white sox. I'm not to concerned because the yankees lost, so I don't care who wins now
http://sullystees.com/sullystees/images/26%20RINGS%20WIDE.jpg
http://sullystees.com/images/YH%20bats%20patch.jpg

mrowl
10/13/2005, 06:01 AM
that was such bulls***...

I was expecting an extra inning thriller, and got screwed (surprise) by the MLB ump crew.

Reason #29 why I should hate baseball: Officiating is never consistent

Sooner24
10/13/2005, 06:07 AM
Baseball Sucks!

Newbomb Turk
10/13/2005, 07:08 AM
I don't get that rule anyway.

If a guy swings at a pitch, I don't give a damn if it hits the backstop on the fly - it's strike three, and an out!

sooner_born_1960
10/13/2005, 07:09 AM
The ball did hit the ground.

mrowl
10/13/2005, 07:12 AM
The ball did hit the ground.

yeah, it hit the ground when the catcher rolled it back to the mound...

watch the video, it didn't come close.

TUSooner
10/13/2005, 07:27 AM
The ball did NOT hit the ground.

Post fixed.
Bad no-play by Halo catcher, but ABSOLUTELYHORRIBLE call by ump - who actiually let the batter make the call. Send ump to minors.

And, BTW, it was a SWINGING 3rd strike.

sooner_born_1960
10/13/2005, 07:42 AM
I watched it about a gazillion times last night. It appeared to change directions upwards before it disappeared into the glove. The umpire is taking way too much heat for this one.

mrowl
10/13/2005, 07:46 AM
I watched it about a gazillion times last night. It appeared to change directions upwards before it disappeared into the glove. The umpire is taking way too much heat for this one.

your right, cause it hit the bottom of his glove.

colleyvillesooner
10/13/2005, 07:48 AM
Don't you think there would have been a little dirt movement if it hit the dirt?

The Maestro
10/13/2005, 08:06 AM
A few things. The video of the ump calling him out was his calling in strike three, not out. He never said out and that is why A.J. took off running. He had his head in the game, noticed the no call and took off running. Meanwhile, the inexperienced catcher did not wait for it, ASSumed it and tossed the ball to the mound while running off the field.

Two catchers...one batting and one catching...one had the head in the game and one lost focus...and the one who was focused on the situation ending up helping his team win. REGARDLESS of if the ball hit the ground or not.

OUthunder
10/13/2005, 08:12 AM
A few things. The video of the ump calling him out was his calling in strike three, not out. He never said out and that is why A.J. took off running. He had his head in the game, noticed the no call and took off running. Meanwhile, the inexperienced catcher did not wait for it, ASSumed it and tossed the ball to the mound while running off the field.

Two catchers...one batting and one catching...one had the head in the game and one lost focus...and the one who was focused on the situation ending up helping his team win. REGARDLESS of if the ball hit the ground or not.

Exactly. Hats off to AJ and the Angels got there share of calls from the Umps against the Yanks.

Sooner04
10/13/2005, 09:00 AM
Exactly. Hats off to AJ and the Angels got there share of calls from the Umps against the Yanks.
I disagree.

The Angels got their share of A-Rod, and that's why they won the series.

Red October
10/13/2005, 09:06 AM
I thought it hit the ground, based on the change of direction, but I was expecting to see more of a dirt cloud from when the ball made contact with the ground.

Regardless, I was very very happy with the result :D

OUAndy1807
10/13/2005, 09:07 AM
even if the ball hit the ground before his glove, does that make it a dropped third strike? I thought it had to be a drop after the ball was in the glove or a bobble, but I'm no expert.

GrapevineSooner
10/13/2005, 10:16 AM
If the ball hits the ground before the catcher catches it on a third strike, then a put-up at first has to be made. That also applies if the catcher traps the ball.

The replay shows neither happened.

GrapevineSooner
10/13/2005, 11:59 AM
That all having been said, what a heady play by Pierzynski.

You play to the whistle in football, and you run to first base on a swinging third strike that looks like it could be in the dirt.

Scott D
10/13/2005, 12:04 PM
I'm still loving AJ's story about how it happened to him in San Francisco last year..with a pitcher batting...except the pitcher was almost to the dugout before he ran to first.

GrapevineSooner
10/13/2005, 01:28 PM
Also, Josh Paul (or any other catcher in this series) will never toss the ball back to the mound anytime he catches a swinging third strike close to the ground.

GrapevineSooner
10/13/2005, 02:14 PM
And Eddinings call isn't as bad as this call. ;)

http://espn.go.com/media/mlb/1999/1017/photo/a_stretch.jpg