PDA

View Full Version : Astros in 6...

Red October
10/12/2005, 01:37 PM
What do you think?

I thought the bullpen was deeper with the 'Stros, but I just saw where STL waived an outfielder, and picked up another pitcher.

I didnt know you could do that during the playoffs.

Beef
10/12/2005, 01:38 PM
Hopefully, Cards in 5.

Stanley1
10/12/2005, 01:39 PM
Cards in as many as it takes.

achiro
10/12/2005, 01:47 PM
I don't know, I like both teams so it makes no difference to me. I couldn't be less interested in the angels/sox game though.

Stanley1
10/12/2005, 01:48 PM
I thought the bullpen was deeper with the 'Stros, but I just saw where STL waived an outfielder, and picked up another pitcher.

Who? I can't find any info on this.

C&CDean
10/12/2005, 01:51 PM
Cards will win the NL and the Series. End of discussion.

Beef
10/12/2005, 01:52 PM
Sounds good to me. IBTL

Stanley1
10/12/2005, 02:02 PM

Dean has spoken people, nothing else to discuss.

Red October
10/12/2005, 02:10 PM

I hope not. I would personally love to see a White Sox / Astros WS. I like both teams. I grew up in Chicago, and I went to Sox games as a kid. I live in Houston right now, so...

Seriously, I never understood why so many Okies like the Cards.

Herr Scholz
10/12/2005, 02:13 PM
I don't know. I like the Stros winning the NLCS. It's not the best teams that win in the playoffs but rather the hot teams. Houston is hot and they have the pitching to do it. Also, remember that the Cards don't have Scott Rolen and Jimmy Edmonds isn't near as hot as he was last year. I have a feeling the Stros are going to win this.

C&CDean
10/12/2005, 02:15 PM
Seriously, I never understood why so many Okies like the Cards.

What's not to like? Dizzy Dean. Stan the Man. Red Schoendinst (sic?). Jack Buck. Bob "from ghetto to glory" Gibson. Sweet Lou Brock. Orlando Cepeda. Curt Flood. Wizard of Oz. Big Mac. Pujols. And many, many more.

Plus, the Cards have the coolest logo in baseball. By FAR.

DCSooner
10/12/2005, 02:19 PM
Froot loop Johnson, Guy the bear Jones, Lil Feat, Dan the Donkey, I could go on.

Red October
10/12/2005, 02:20 PM
Plus, the Cards have the coolest logo in baseball. By FAR.

I respectfully Disagree. My vote goes to the Drillers ;)

Stanley1
10/12/2005, 02:25 PM
I don't know. I like the Stros winning the NLCS. It's not the best teams that win in the playoffs but rather the hot teams. Houston is hot and they have the pitching to do it. Also, remember that the Cards don't have Scott Rolen and Jimmy Edmonds isn't near as hot as he was last year. I have a feeling the Stros are going to win this.

Card's have just as good a 3-man rotation as the Stros. Roger is hurting, and your lineup, even when "hot", still isn't anywhere as potent as STL's. Jimmy may not be hot, but Eckstein and Sanders sure are. Pujols is heating back up too. Plus, STL has one of the top defenses in the Majors.

And home field advantage.

I'll take STL.

Herr Scholz
10/12/2005, 02:37 PM
...and your lineup...
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! I'm a Cubs fan, brother. I know St. Louis looks better on paper, but I just feel Houston has the big mo.

Stanley1
10/12/2005, 02:51 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! I'm a Cubs fan, brother. I know St. Louis looks better on paper, but I just feel Houston has the big mo.

A UT fan AND a Cubs fan? Geez dude.....if ya tell me your gay too, thats the triple whammy. :D

sooneron
10/12/2005, 02:52 PM
What's not to like? Big Mac.

You obviously didn't see his last interview where he used his toddler child like a feel good prop while avoiding that he roided up and bull****ted congress. I USED to like the guy, but he's a turd and most Cards fans agree after his latest shtick.

Herr Scholz
10/12/2005, 03:03 PM
A UT fan AND a Cubs fan?
At least you can't call me fairweather. ;) If the Horns ever win it all in football or the Cubs ever win the World Series (either one), I could die a happy man at that very moment. At least the UT baseball team has been doing pretty well lately...

Stanley1
10/12/2005, 03:15 PM
You obviously didn't see his last interview where he used his toddler child like a feel good prop while avoiding that he roided up and bull****ted congress. I USED to like the guy, but he's a turd and most Cards fans agree after his latest shtick.

Tell that to the soldout crowd that cheered for him when he turned over one of the numbers during the last week of the season.

Turd.

C&CDean
10/12/2005, 03:49 PM
sooneron is a NY lib now.

McGwire just wanted to be left alone concerning the steroid issue. ****wads like Canseco and Palmero couldn't just keep their traps shut and mind their own business. Liberals just love the dirt, slime, and all the other great "newsworthy" **** you find on TV every day.

Having baseball players testify before congress is quite possibly the most idiotic thing I've ever seen/heard. Doesn't congress have better things to do than worry about what drugs baseball players are taking? And why aren't NFL linemen testifying? And NBAers? And hockey goons?

Baseball needs to handle this issue by themself. McGwire was a great hitter. He probably did roids. But he's a decent man. Bonds, on the other hand......

BlondeSoonerGirl
10/12/2005, 03:51 PM
Baseball sucks!

[runs away really, really fast...]

Stanley1
10/12/2005, 03:54 PM
Baseball sucks!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

<throws lead pipe at BSG while she runs away>

Beef
10/12/2005, 04:04 PM
Baseball sucks!

Guns N Roses - Used To Love Her

;)

silverwheels
10/12/2005, 04:05 PM
Go Cards.

Herr Scholz
10/12/2005, 04:35 PM
Baseball sucks!

Did Lid get to paint orange on you? Any pics? :)

BlondeSoonerGirl
10/12/2005, 06:06 PM
Lead pipes are hard.

Ow.

And no, you dirty whorn - he ain't painted me yet. I'm taking gdc and Dean with me for this deal. I don't trust Lid...

Penguin
10/13/2005, 01:17 AM
Enjoy your win, cards. It was probably the last one this season.

afs
10/13/2005, 01:40 AM
depends on who the umps are.

AllAboutThe'O'
10/13/2005, 01:55 AM
Didn't surprise me a bit that the Cardinals won Game 1. But Houston needs to win tonight or else they're in deep trouble, even though they get to go back to Minute Maid Park.
I still think the Astros have the superior rotation and bullpen, they just need to scratch out a few more runs.

C&CDean
10/13/2005, 08:17 AM
Enjoy your win, cards. It was probably the last one this season.

Yeah, you sound like you're just oozing with confidence there Mr. Lastro.

C&CDean
10/13/2005, 08:18 AM
depends on who the umps are.

Never mind......

Red October
10/13/2005, 08:50 AM
Baseball sucks!

Resisting the urge to neg spek.....

Stanley1
10/13/2005, 08:59 AM
I still think the Astros have the superior rotation and bullpen, they just need to scratch out a few more runs.

STL had the #1 team ERA for the season. Not sure how the stros are better than that.

soonerjoker
10/13/2005, 09:31 AM
Cards have only, better pitching,hitting & fielding.
also incentive to get back to series that was so bad last year.
i feel the cards will beat the astros.

Penguin
10/13/2005, 09:58 AM
Better pitching? Astros have 4 aces. The Cards have 1.

Stanley1
10/13/2005, 10:17 AM

Who are the 4? I'll give you Pettite, Oswalt, and Roger.

STL has 3, to be exact. Carpenter (NL Cy Young), Mulder, and Matty Mo.

Next?

C&CDean
10/13/2005, 11:16 AM

Loseton has 3. And ace #1 got beat soundly last night. One down, two to go.

Rhino
10/13/2005, 11:17 AM
Dean watches television?!?

Penguin
10/13/2005, 11:26 AM
I was thinking of Lidge, but I guess people don't call relief pitchers "aces."

If Pettite hadn't been hit by a line drive during warmups, I think the game would have been a totally different story.

Stanley1
10/13/2005, 11:31 AM

If Pettite hadn't been hit by a line drive during warmups, I think the game would have been a totally different story.

You have got to be kidding.

And btw.....Izzy had a lower ERA, and less losses (couldn't find blown save numbers, but I know Izzy only had 4) than Lidge, the "ace".

C&CDean
10/13/2005, 02:32 PM

If Pettite wasn't born with a dick, he'd be in the WNBA too. Weak sauce.

Rhino,

Of course I watch TV. Sports, History, A&E, Discovery, the 10 o'clock news, and about half of Leno. Sometimes a movie on HBO or Skinamax. I just don't have time for the nightly/weekly crap TV fix most folks around here seem to need.

I don't care who's Lost. I don't care who Survives. I don't care who's buried 6 feet under. I don't care who's in Boston. I don't care about staying at the Paris Hilton. I don't care if Homer's got a couple daughters named Ashlee and what's-her-face. The only Hank I know about is Aaron, or Williams. Guess I'm in the minority.....

sooneron
10/13/2005, 10:07 PM
Stros getting some much needed insurance runs in. And Sanders is OUT.
Please let someone hit a comebacker into Tavarez's face! I LOATHE him. What a POS!

Penguin
10/13/2005, 10:19 PM
Damn, it looked like Reggie wiped out like a little girl. Dean must be so proud.

sooneron
10/13/2005, 10:33 PM
Damn, it looked like Reggie wiped out like a little girl. Dean must be so proud.
Yeah, WTF? He got airborn and wigged out! Had the ball and everything, kind of reminded me of the Canseco off the head moment.

And Lidge is a friggin ace!

sooneron
10/13/2005, 10:33 PM
FIRE UP THE ROCKET!!!!

Penguin
10/13/2005, 10:35 PM
Great game.

Big-time pitching beats big-time hitting every single time.

This was absolutely huge for Houston to take one in St. Louis. Especially since last year the home team won every game in the NLCS.

silverwheels
10/13/2005, 10:35 PM
:mad:

Damn!

Stanley1
10/13/2005, 10:37 PM
Great game.

Big-time pitching beats big-time hitting every single time.

This was absolutely huge for Houston to take one in St. Louis. Especially since last year the home team won every game in the NLCS.

Like in the first game? :rolleyes:

Penguin
10/13/2005, 10:45 PM
Pettite will get a re-match. Just wait.

AllAboutThe'O'
10/14/2005, 01:53 AM
Had the ball and everything, kind of reminded me of the Canseco off the head moment.
You had to spoil my good mood this evening, didn't you?
And a few days later, he's gone for the rest of the season after that ill-fated pitching stint against Boston. :mack:

C&CDean
10/14/2005, 09:24 AM
Oswalt was damned near unhittable last night. He had guys swinging after the catcher was already throwing the ball back to the mound. I really didn't expect Houston to win a single game in this series. Color me shocked. But the Cards are still gonna win it. It's destiny.

GrapevineSooner
10/14/2005, 12:34 PM
Color me shocked. But the Cards are still gonna win it. It's destiny.
Only to lose to the Sox in the WS, just like last year.

Well, to a different color of Sox.

C&CDean
10/14/2005, 12:57 PM
Only to lose to the Sox in the WS, just like last year.

Well, to a different color of Sox.

Mebbe. Mebbe not. And where is your team playing this post season?

Beano's Fourth Chin
10/15/2005, 09:58 PM
And where is your team playing this post season?

Houston.

And then probably a couple games in Chicago.

silverwheels
10/15/2005, 10:05 PM

Damn!

Scott D
10/15/2005, 10:10 PM
*happy dance* one more win...one more win! :D

GrapevineSooner
10/16/2005, 01:19 AM
http://www.theinvestor.tv/lifestyle/images/golf%20course.jpg

josh09
10/16/2005, 01:42 PM
i say astros in 5. maybe its cuz i live in houston, and am a big fan of the 'stros. but they look good right now. so i think theyre gonna win all the rest of their home games. i think theyre actually the best home team in teh National League, so that might be big.

Penguin
10/16/2005, 03:42 PM
Steve Lyons has a freaking mullet. Get a haircut, you bum! You're on national television!

OUthunder
10/16/2005, 05:41 PM
http://www.theinvestor.tv/lifestyle/images/golf%20course.jpg

Heh, good one, mine too. :D

Stanley1
10/16/2005, 06:37 PM
Tonight = one of the worst umped baseball games I've ever seen. Terrible.

Penguin
10/16/2005, 06:59 PM
Yep. The wind was awfully tricky that day, my friends.

Beano's Fourth Chin
10/16/2005, 07:08 PM
Tonight = one of the worst umped baseball games I've ever seen. Terrible.

One of the worst managed games too. LaTifa needs to pick his battles and not lose it on an obvious ball. He let his team down.

Had this been the NFL, and that pitch been under review, he'd have still been walked.

Edmonds needs to, also, not lose it and let his team down in a playoff game.

Penguin
10/16/2005, 07:22 PM
What a wild 9th inning. Men at 1st and 3rd with no outs and Lidge got out of it.

Pujols totally screwed up trying to score. What a play by Walker to take 3rd.

What a double play. All LaRussa said about it was "It was clutch."

GrapevineSooner
10/16/2005, 11:04 PM
That wasn't one of Phil Cuzzi's best games. But I can't really blame him for throwing LaRussa or Edmonds out.

They both had it coming. Especially overrated LaRussa.

Scott D
10/16/2005, 11:08 PM

My team is waiting for one of your overpaid NL Central teams to come on over to Chicago :)

Stanley1
10/16/2005, 11:59 PM
One of the worst managed games too. LaTifa needs to pick his battles and not lose it on an obvious ball. He let his team down.

Had this been the NFL, and that pitch been under review, he'd have still been walked.

Edmonds needs to, also, not lose it and let his team down in a playoff game.

Hope you are kidding. A manager getting kicked out in a baseball game has little effect, especially that late in the game. You don't think he was making the decisions from the clubhouse?

Same for Edmonds, that was a TERRIBLE call. Absolutely TERRIBLE. That pitch hadn't been called a strike all series long.

I don't blame either of them for arguing. Couple that with the fact that STL is banged up even more than we've been all year, and it looks like bad luck will strike again this year.

Stanley1
10/17/2005, 12:00 AM
Pujols totally screwed up trying to score. What a play by Walker to take 3rd.

I thought the same thing at first, but if he didn't go, Houston had an outside shot at turning 2. Since Walker ended up at 3rd, it really didn't even matter any. Reggie's got to get that ball in the air, same with Mabry. Both took first pitch fastballs down broadway. Against Lidge, thats the best you are gonna see.

Sooner04
10/17/2005, 12:14 AM
Couple that with the fact that STL is banged up even more than we've been all year, and it looks like bad luck will strike again this year.
What was bad luck about last year?

Beano's Fourth Chin
10/17/2005, 02:12 AM
Same for Edmonds, that was a TERRIBLE call. Absolutely TERRIBLE. That pitch hadn't been called a strike all series long.

Tell that to LaRussa. He argued for that exact same pitch to be called a strike before he went off like a sweaty toothed Les Miles when Berkman got walked.

I guess his arguing did some good as they called it a strike later in the game when Edmonds was up. ;)

Seriously, there's a confidence and credibility that the managers have with their players. When they crack, the team feels it. I don't mind a manager arguing calls or whatever, but do it with some confidence or in a way that fires up the team.

Heck, pull a Pinella or Bobby Knight and get ejected with style. LaRussa did it like he was trying to shake the umps out of his head.

Scott D
10/17/2005, 03:27 AM
it looks like bad luck will strike again this year.

Yeah......lemme put it this way...nobody was sad in Chicago when LaRussa was let go in 1986.

Stanley1
10/17/2005, 07:49 AM

The biggest was losing Carpenter before the playoffs. Seems like there were one or two other minor injuries as well, but I've blocked out most of last years playoffs due to the WS results, so I'm drawing a blank. But you have to admit, losing your Ace isn't exactly a good thing.

Oh.....Morris was also hurt. He was able to pitch, but was far less than 100%. Also, I believe Rolen went down in the first round of the playoffs last year. Same crap is happening this year. Sanders gets hurt again, Walker's neck is still acting up, Rolen gone, lose Nunez for at least a game, lost our best MR (Reyes) the last week of the regular season. Seems like it just never stops.

Stanley1
10/17/2005, 07:50 AM
Yeah......lemme put it this way...nobody was sad in Chicago when LaRussa was let go in 1986.

Boo hoo. TLR isn't the reason we aren't winning the series. You can hate on him all you want, but his track record speaks for itself.

C&CDean
10/17/2005, 08:24 AM

Having to face the Red Sox on the year The Bambino decided to take off from cursing those bastages. DOH.

Sooner04
10/17/2005, 08:32 AM
Having to face the Red Sox on the year The Bambino decided to take off from cursing those bastages. DOH.
Running into the Team of Destiny is a bitch. My Padres had to do it in both of their appearances in the Fall Classic.

Thanks for the post, Stanley. I'd forgotten about the troubles your starting staff went through late last year.

Scott D
10/17/2005, 08:55 AM
Boo hoo. TLR isn't the reason we aren't winning the series. You can hate on him all you want, but his track record speaks for itself.

yeah it does....with those monster teams in Oakland he managed to get swept by the Reds, and lost to the Dodgers...it definitely speaks volumes...*cough*regularseasongiant*cough*

OUthunder
10/17/2005, 09:07 AM
I'm really shocked at the Cards performance thus far. I thought that the offense would have been more productive for them.

soonerjoker
10/17/2005, 09:35 AM
well, i was wrong about cards & astros. if anyone has some crow, i
prefer it to be baked.

Beano's Fourth Chin
10/17/2005, 10:16 AM
Running into the Team of Destiny is a bitch.

Stacy King and Mookie Blaylock agree.

GrapevineSooner
10/17/2005, 10:41 AM
Tell that to LaRussa. He argued for that exact same pitch to be called a strike before he went off like a sweaty toothed Les Miles when Berkman got walked.

I guess his arguing did some good as they called it a strike later in the game when Edmonds was up. ;) Bingo. I mean if you're going to get run, at least do so on a debatable pitch. The one he went ballistic on was clearly up and inside.

Though, I have to give LaRussa points for trying to navigate around a much taller Tim McClelland to try and get to Cuzzi. That was funny to watch. ;)

As for Edmonds, his mistake was getting right in Cuzzi's face to argue.

Call time, shake your head, and walk away from the plate.

Sooner04
10/17/2005, 10:53 AM
Stacey King and Mookie Blaylock agree.
Yes, yes they do.

Beano's Fourth Chin
10/17/2005, 01:30 PM
Too bad Edmonds is a liar:

"All I asked was where the pitch was," said Edmonds, adding that he did not curse at Cuzzi. "I said, 'How can you call that ball a strike?' "

GrapevineSooner
10/17/2005, 01:46 PM
Too bad Edmonds is a liar:
All lip readers who watched the game yesterday agree with this sentiment.

Stanley1
10/17/2005, 01:50 PM
What did he say, I never saw the replays of him talking?

C&CDean
10/17/2005, 01:51 PM
Well, if he asked "how can you call that ball a strike?" and the ump said "cause it was or cause I said it was" then I'd be "you ****ing suck you no-calling, blind, worthless POS of an umpire who must be giving Garner knobbers in the dugout." or something to that effect.....

Beano's Fourth Chin
10/17/2005, 02:31 PM
Well, if he asked "how can you call that ball a strike?" and the ump said "cause it was or cause I said it was" then I'd be "you ****ing suck you no-calling, blind, worthless POS of an umpire who must be giving Garner knobbers in the dugout." or something to that effect.....

Sounds like you need a hug.

Stanley, he said at least a couple of F words and then he kept going on into the dugout. Actually, his dugout stuff was a bit more creative.

The booth guys also talked about the lip readers in the audience getting an ear full or something to that effect.

Soonerfan85
10/17/2005, 03:32 PM
I remember commenting to my wife along about the 3rd or 4th inning when the ump rang up a couple of strikes on Suppan letter high fastballs to Ausmus and someone else that I sure would like to see Backe get that same call. Fortunately for Backe, he didn't need to go up in the strike zone as he was able to keep the ball down and get the low strikes. So it wasn't like the ump hadn't called any high strikes all day, he just didn't do so against the Cards until after Backe left the game, so the Cards hitters weren't used to seeing that pitch called a strike. I can see where Cards players and fans might come away from yesterday's game thinking they got screwed, but what I saw was an ump with an expanded strike zone that was inconsistent at times.

Edmonds was an idiot for letting his ego get him tossed in that situation.

Yesterday the strike zone favored the pitchers, today they'll probably squeeze the strike zone to the advantage of the hitters. I really think that favors the Cards since their hitters seem to be much more disciplined at the plate than the Astros.

My prediction for tonight's game is Cards 6 Astros 3.

C&CDean
10/17/2005, 03:38 PM
The called strike was worse than a little high. Damn near hit him in the chest. Much worse call than the 3rd strike run to first dealio in the Angels game last week. I mean it wasn't even close.

I'd have cussed the ump too. And my ego is about the size of a walnut.

Herr Scholz
10/17/2005, 03:50 PM
So, Dean, you think the Stros close out the series at home tonight with Pettitte going?

Sooner04
10/17/2005, 10:02 PM
BERKMAN!

GrapevineSooner
10/17/2005, 10:08 PM

Penguin
10/17/2005, 10:09 PM
6...er, I mean 5 outs away from the World Series.

GrapevineSooner
10/17/2005, 10:12 PM

GrapevineSooner
10/17/2005, 10:13 PM

Penguin
10/17/2005, 10:13 PM
3 outs away!!!!

sooneron
10/17/2005, 10:16 PM
Greatest

Thread

Ever!!!!!!

GrapevineSooner
10/17/2005, 10:28 PM

GrapevineSooner
10/17/2005, 10:30 PM

Sooner04
10/17/2005, 10:37 PM
Oh my goodness.

GrapevineSooner
10/17/2005, 10:37 PM
Well f***!!!

GrapevineSooner
10/17/2005, 10:38 PM
Hey, what just hit my window?

tulsaoilerfan
10/17/2005, 10:40 PM
Hey Hey Hey, it's Fat Albert!!! !$!$@!@ Cardinals, i hate them

Penguin
10/17/2005, 10:41 PM
Mother****er. Unbeliveable. Walk Pujols everytime.

sooneron
10/17/2005, 10:41 PM
I would have walked him.

Sooner04
10/17/2005, 10:43 PM
Brad Lidge just awakened the ghost of Donnie Moore.

GrapevineSooner
10/17/2005, 10:45 PM
You Astro fans may kill me for this...

But remember how the scoreboard at Shea accidently displayed:

Congratulations Boston Red Sox
1986 World Champions

in Game 6?

Well...uhhh....I essentially had the same thing typed out when Eckstein singled to start the rally.

Please bail me out Astros. :(

GrapevineSooner
10/17/2005, 10:48 PM
Astros in 6.

Sooner04
10/17/2005, 10:48 PM
I hope this turns out differently than the '86 ALCS.

Otherwise, put Lidge on suicide watch.

sooneron
10/17/2005, 10:49 PM
You Astro fans may kill me for this...

But remember how the scoreboard at Shea accidently displayed:

Congratulations Boston Red Sox
1986 World Champions

in Game 6?

Well...uhhh....I essentially had the same thing typed out when Eckstein singled to start the rally.

Please bail me out Astros. :(
It's official, you suck. :mack:

Stanley1
10/17/2005, 11:00 PM
:D

OUthunder
10/17/2005, 11:03 PM
They should have walked him.

GrapevineSooner
10/17/2005, 11:40 PM
Or at least not hung a slider right over the middle of the freaking plate.

Garner should seriously consider handing the closer role over to Qualls for at least the rest of the series. The Cards have not been able to touch him this entire series.

Soonerfan85
10/18/2005, 12:04 AM
And Astro fans are surprised why?

Somehow I just knew it was too good to be true. :(

My dad worked for the Colt 45's before they moved to the Astrodome and has been an Astro fan since before I was born. I remember as a kid sitting on the back porch with my dad and older brother listening to the Astro games growing up in SA back in the late sixties. I can still hear Loel Passe cheering for the home team and Gene Elston's silky voice calling the games. Names such as Joe Morgan, Dennis Menke, Jimmy Wynn, Bob Watson, Doug Rader, Rusty Staub, Roger Metzger, Johnny Edwards, Tommy Helms, Cesar Cedeno, Art Howe, Lee May, Dickie Thonn, Jose Cruuuuuz, Billie Doran, Alan Ashby, Glenn Davis, Ken Caminiti, Craig Reynolds, Terry Puhl, Denny Walling, Kevin Bass, Billy Hatcher, Don Wilson, Larry Dierker, J. R. Richard, Joe Niekro, Nolan Ryan, Mike Scott, Mike Hampton, Dave Smith, Joe Sambito, Charlie Kerfeld, Larry Anderson, Craig Biggio, Jeff Bagwell and Billy Wagner bring back fond memories of perrineal underdogs that just never quite had enough offense to make it past the likes of the Dodgers, Phillies, Mets, Braves and Cardinals. Well, hopefully we can take one of two from the Cards in St. Louis. If not, there'll be a whole new group of names to add to the list of Astro players that never quite made it over the hump.

Beano's Fourth Chin
10/18/2005, 12:41 AM
aww man.

Penguin
10/18/2005, 04:13 AM
:stunned:

This Astros team never does anything easy. Lidge really struggled the 2 prior nights. I was surprised when Garner went to him again.

The Cards have to beat Oswalt and Clemens. That's a pretty tall order, but with Eckstein getting on base 90% of the time and Pujols swinging a tree trunk, it's absolutely possible.

mrowl
10/18/2005, 05:59 AM
ugh...

Sooner04
10/18/2005, 08:40 AM
I posted this on another thread, but I'll post it here. Why? Because I'm still sick over last night's game:

The pitch was so straight and so flat that I honestly thought it was a fastball. Once I saw the replay I realized it was a slider that didn't slide. Just a horrible pitch to the wrong batter.

The comparisons between that game and Game 5 of the '86 ALCS are uncanny. The only difference being Donnie Moore's splitter was a hell of a lot better pitch than Lidge's hanging slider.

Even with Oswalt and Clemens on the way, I'll be shocked if the Astros win this series.

C&CDean
10/18/2005, 08:47 AM
BWAAAHAAAHAHAAAA!!!

4 to go!!

3 to go!!

2 to go!!

1 to go!!

Holy **** batman, that ball just splashed down in Lake Ponchartrain!!

What kind of ****ing idiot grooves a strike to Albert Pujols in that kind of situation? I almost shut the TV off - and my wife jumped about two feet off the bed (she was sleeping) when I yelled "IT'S GONE!!!"

Maybe this'll finally light the fire under my Cards. Talk about anemic hitting.

And I wasn't "sick" at all about the game. It was good schtuffff.

Herr Scholz
10/18/2005, 09:20 AM
It was Barbara Bush's fault. You could see her back there taking pictures of the crowd like the game was over. She wasn't even watching Eckstein. She put the hex on.

Red October
10/18/2005, 09:22 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Why did they pitch to him???

They should have walked him, even he was oh-fer four at the time, he was due.

Dammit.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

C&CDean
10/18/2005, 09:28 AM
My boy absolutely CRUSHED that baseball. It damn near cleared the screen above the stands. Has anybody ever hit it completely out of there?

And if St. Louis goes on to win the NLCS, do you think folks are gonna want Garner's head on a platter for having Lidge pitch to him? Seriously, when I saw they were gonna throw to him I said "you're kidding, right?" The next instant it was "BAM!!"

That boy has got some serious stroke.

Herr Scholz
10/18/2005, 09:39 AM
The pressure has to be on the Stros now. They've got to be gripping after that. I've never seen a crowd go from ballistic to silent in a single instant like that.

C&CDean
10/18/2005, 09:42 AM
The pressure has to be on the Stros now. They've got to be gripping after that. I've never seen a crowd go from ballistic to silent in a single instant like that.

I love it when a Texas crowd (any Texas crowd) goes silent. Warms the cockles of my heart. It really, really does.

Herr Scholz
10/18/2005, 09:46 AM
I love it when a Texas crowd (any Texas crowd) goes silent. Warms the cockles of my heart. It really, really does.
LOL. That entire crowd had this look to them: :stunned:

Stanley1
10/18/2005, 09:50 AM
You can't walk him in that situation. Thats puts the tying run in scoring position, and the winning run on base.

Lidge just made a terrible, terrible pitch. I don't think I've seen him hang a slider against STL like that ever, and he picked a bad time to do it.

That said, Albert knocked the **** out of that ball.

mrowl
10/18/2005, 10:41 AM
Has anybody ever hit it completely out of there?

pretty hard when there is a roof... when the roof is open, it has been hit out a few times...

OUthunder
10/18/2005, 11:07 AM
I think the Stros just flushed there chances of a 1st WS down the toilet last night.

Amazing.

C&CDean
10/18/2005, 12:12 PM
pretty hard when there is a roof... when the roof is open, it has been hit out a few times...

There's no roofs in baseball.

Stanley1
10/18/2005, 12:36 PM

There's nothing "baseball" about that Houston park.

Scott D
10/18/2005, 02:13 PM

Minute Maid Park is a whiffleball stadium ;)

josh09
10/18/2005, 04:08 PM
that sucks. well, we have 2 games left. but still....ONE STRIKE AWAY!!!! YOUVE GOTTA BE EFFING ME. wow, that boy is definately on roids. i have always believed that.

josh09
10/18/2005, 04:10 PM
jeez

C&CDean
10/18/2005, 04:11 PM
that sucks. well, we have 2 games left. but still....ONE STRIKE AWAY!!!! YOUVE GOTTA BE EFFING ME. wow, that boy is definately on roids. i have always believed that.

The only thing with "roids" around here is your sis. Of course if she wasn't taking the pooper action she'd probably be OK.

GrapevineSooner
10/18/2005, 04:26 PM
that sucks. well, we have 2 games left. but still....ONE STRIKE AWAY!!!! YOUVE GOTTA BE EFFING ME. wow, that boy is definately on roids. i have always believed that. Pujols didn't hit that homer because of Roids. He hit it because he saw Lidge hang a slider and jumped all over it.

Stanley1
10/18/2005, 04:27 PM
Agreed. Albert isn't on roids. Roids don't give you the most fundementally sound swing in the game.

C&CDean
10/18/2005, 04:32 PM
Oooohhhhhhh.......

He was talking about STERoids. Who knew?

And who wants to bet he's a huge fan of Bonds?

Scott D
10/18/2005, 04:51 PM
heh...if Pujlos is on roids, then A-Rod is on roids :rolleyes:

mrowl
10/18/2005, 05:05 PM
There's nothing "baseball" about that Houston park.

agree.

Nice stadium, but its no ballpark...

silverwheels
10/18/2005, 05:27 PM
Pujols is a god. That is all.

Penguin
10/18/2005, 07:14 PM
If the Astros win game 6, nobody will ever remember the Pullhouse homerun. That's the mentality Houston has to take with them.

Stanley1
10/18/2005, 08:23 PM
If the Astros win game 6, nobody will ever remember the Pullhouse homerun. That's the mentality Houston has to take with them.

I'll remember it.

AllAboutThe'O'
10/18/2005, 08:24 PM
Were the 1975 Cincinnati Reds haunted by Carlton Fisk's homer to win Game 6 for the Red Sox?
Heck no, the Reds came back the next night and took the Series.
The Astros can do the same thing. They're still up in the series, even though it goes back to St. Louis. But they've proven they can win there in the past, even a big game. They won the NL Central title in 2001 on the Cards' home turf.
And I'll still want the Rocket to pitch for my team if I had a pennant on the line.

Penguin
10/18/2005, 08:35 PM
I'll remember it.
Ok, then only cool people won't remember it. ;)

Penguin
10/18/2005, 08:41 PM
You know what? I blame Red October for this fiasco. If only he had titled this thread as "Astros in 5..." all would be well. :texan:

GrapevineSooner
10/18/2005, 09:58 PM
How many people remember Jeff Kent's walkoff homer to win Game 5 last year? Did the Astros win that series?

Penguin
10/19/2005, 10:15 PM
3 outs to go

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:17 PM
Roy pitched the game of his life as I told people that he needed to do.

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:17 PM
2 outs, 1 strike to go....

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:18 PM
2 outs

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:20 PM
1 out....

Penguin
10/19/2005, 10:20 PM
1 more out and Eckstein & Pujols are nowhere in sight!

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:21 PM
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/jose_cruz_autograph.jpg

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:22 PM
http://www.astrosdaily.com/players/Richard_JR.jpg

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:23 PM
Yes!!!!!

Penguin
10/19/2005, 10:23 PM
First World Series EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:25 PM
I ccccan't speak....

Sooner04
10/19/2005, 10:28 PM
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Scott_Mike_03.jpg

GrapevineSooner
10/19/2005, 10:29 PM
well, I'll be a son-of-...

I wonder if my wife's aunt can get tix next week. If so, I may have to make it down to H-Town.

Sooner04
10/19/2005, 10:29 PM
The Toy Cannon!

http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Wynn_Jim_109.jpg

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:35 PM
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Andujar_Joaquin_04.jpg

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:36 PM
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Ashby_Alan_03.jpg

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:37 PM
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Bass_Kevin_02.jpg

Penguin
MOTHER ****ER!

SOMEBODY AT FOX26 AT HOUSTON NEEDS TO BE FIRED!

THEY HAVE A ****ING SPLIT SCREEN AND THE TROPHY PRESENTATION WAS SHOWN ON 1/3 THE SIZE OF THE SCREEN!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

sooneron
ENOS!!!!

http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Cabell_Enos_01.jpg

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:38 PM
RIP , Ken

http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Caminiti_Ken_06.jpg

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:39 PM
My all time fave-

http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Cedeno_Cesar_03.jpg

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:41 PM
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Davis_Glenn_07.jpg

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:41 PM
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Doran_Bill_05.jpg

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:43 PM
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Forsch_Ken_02.jpg

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:43 PM
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Howe_Art_101.jpg

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:44 PM
RIP Darryl....

http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Kile_Darryl_01.jpg

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:46 PM
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Metzger_Roger_01.jpg

Roger, Roger!

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:47 PM
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Niekro_Joe_09.jpg

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:47 PM
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Reynolds_Craig_102.jpg

sooneron
10/19/2005, 10:49 PM
And finally.....

Have a nice off season!!!!!!!!

http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Beltran_Carlos_04.jpg

bwahahahahahahaha!!!

Sooner04
10/19/2005, 11:06 PM
Here it comes......

http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Ryan_Nolan_03.jpg

Sooner04
10/19/2005, 11:08 PM
There it goes.....

http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Ryan_Nolan_05.jpg

jreed13
10/19/2005, 11:10 PM
I......................AM......................... ...SO..............................HAPPY :D

Sooner04
10/19/2005, 11:23 PM
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Richard_JR_01.jpg

Has a more imposing figure ever stood on a pitching mound? I think not.

The Unit might be a few inches taller, but JR Richard could throw it 102 MPH.

Mission control........ready for launch.
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Richard_JR_09.jpg

Sooner04
10/19/2005, 11:24 PM
Batten down the hatches, boys! It's coming in at Mach 6!

http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Richard_JR_102.jpg

Beano's Fourth Chin
10/20/2005, 12:20 AM
I long for the day of no-belt-britches and big numbers on the pelvis.

OUthunder
10/20/2005, 07:04 AM
Congrats to the Astros!

Pettite, you broke my heart!

The Cards have the BEST fans in baseball just ahead of the Yanks. I have never seen that many old folks in a crowd, plus the chant of "Let's Go Astros" was truely classy on the fans part!

Hats off to Cards fan everywhere!!!

Red October
10/20/2005, 08:02 AM
I was out in Houston last night, and wow, this city is filled with energy. Kind of like Oklahoma was in 2000

Go Astros....

and.... I told you so.......:D:D:D:D:D:D

Red October
10/20/2005, 08:06 AM
You know what? I blame Red October for this fiasco. If only he had titled this thread as "Astros in 5..." all would be well. :texan:

Dont Blame me. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D It is not a fiasco, Poolhalls was due that game.

I am just glad we dont have to deal with the Redbird love fest anymore!!! ;)

Good series Cards, good luck next year.

Scott D
10/20/2005, 09:12 AM
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Richard_JR_01.jpg

Has a more imposing figure ever stood on a pitching mound? I think not.

The Unit might be a few inches taller, but JR Richard could throw it 102 MPH.

Mission control........ready for launch.
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Richard_JR_09.jpg

heh the hitters today would **** their pants against Bob Gibson.

Sooner04
10/20/2005, 10:21 AM
heh the hitters today would **** their pants against Bob Gibson.
No doubt. Bobby Bonds said he once feared for his life against Gibson because he'd already hit two homers in the game. He knew he had no chance of a third because the first pitch he'd see would probably be at his head.

The reason J.R. Richard was so intimidating is that he might throw you a slider at 93-94 or a fastball at 101-102. Only problem was, you didn't know which one was coming and J.R. didn't know which way it was going.

Scott D
10/20/2005, 11:32 AM
No doubt. Bobby Bonds said he once feared for his life against Gibson because he'd already hit two homers in the game. He knew he had no chance of a third because the first pitch he'd see would probably be at his head.

The reason J.R. Richard was so intimidating is that he might throw you a slider at 93-94 or a fastball at 101-102. Only problem was, you didn't know which one was coming and J.R. didn't know which way it was going.

yeah that's probably the one major thing I hate about baseball today is the fact that the changes with the strike zone, and rule changes about pitching inside has made it so much for the hitter. And because of it you get so many hitters showboating so much of the time. Any of these guys today pulled off their stand and admire their home run against some of those pitchers in the 50s through mid 70s they got a fastball at the head their next at bat...and the umpires let it go.

I think there was another Gibby story where a guy asked to be pinch hit for after homering off of Gibson, and apologized to Gibson for it after the game. But I'm going off of stories my father used to tell me.

C&CDean
10/21/2005, 10:16 AM
My favorite all-time baseball book is "From Ghetto to Glory" by Bob Gibson. He's the reason I became a Cardinal fan as a kid. I'm not sure, but his 1.02 ERA (can't remember the year) probably still is a record. And the boy could hit too. I remember him homering in the Series against Mel Stottlemyre (I think) in the late 60's.

Of course I go from memory here, not from a website. One of you stats guys could probably clean that one up for me.....

Scott D
10/21/2005, 11:11 AM
Year Ag Tm Lg W L G GS CG SHO GF SV IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP WP BFP ERA *lgERA *ERA+
+--------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+------+----+----+----+---+----+----+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+
1968 32 STL NL 22 9 34 34 28 13 0 0 304.7 198 49 38 11 62 268 7 4 1161 1.12 2.90 258

The amazing part of that season was that 28 out of 34 starts were complete games...today a workhorse pitcher has 7-10 complete games at best. The 6 he didn't complete was because he was pinch hit for, rather than the manager taking the ball from him on the mound.