PDA

View Full Version : Bomar's Dad Spouting off-Tulsa World Article

tulsaoilerfan
10/12/2005, 07:44 AM
Dad: Son needed more reps
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
10/12/2005

View in Print (PDF) Format

NORMAN -- One theory why Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar has struggled this season is a lack of practice time as the starter.

That's what Bomar's father and high school coach, Jerry Bomar, believes.

After redshirting last season and getting only minimal practice snaps, Bomar spent last spring locked in a three-way race with Paul Thompson and Tommy Grady.

When Grady left for training camp, Bomar shared all the snaps with Thompson.

"I went up there at midseason (of 2004) and asked them, 'How's this kid going to compete for the starting quarterback job?' " Jerry Bomar said.

"They knew all along he was the best player, but he didn't do anything. He's sitting around. They assured me, 'Oh no, there'll be plenty of reps in the spring.'

"Then they go into the spring and it's being divided by one-third. . . . Then they come back in the fall and it's being divided in half. So he's never had it where he's gotten all these reps. So everything now, he's basically catching up."

Quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator Chuck Long said it would have been bad to give Bomar more preseason snaps.

"We would have thrown his arm out,"

Long said.

"There were only two guys. That was it. We're barely getting through the week now. I had to take some throws off him and give more to Paul. To go through training camp with two guys, that's nuts. He got plenty of reps in training camp. If we'd have given him any more, his arm would have fallen off. Trust me on that."

Another aspect of the competition was less tangible, but just as important, Long said.

"We had to make that situation competitive," he said.

"That's how you earn the job. That's how you get respect from your teammates. You start giving young guys jobs without earning it, they don't earn that respect. He had to do that first. That was his first step in being a leader here. That's what I'm developing for him, too, making sure he is, in time, one of our best leaders."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected]

FaninAma
10/12/2005, 07:58 AM
I agree totally with him and I've stated that before. CL and his offensive coaches might as well have been golfing during spring and fall practices. The QB controversy was stupid and divisive. I have no idea why the coaches couldn't decide whether PT was their guy after being in the system for 3 full years. And I'm also curious as to what Wilson was seeing in his senior and junior OL that made everybody so confident coming into the season.

And apparently CL doesn't understand the difference between reps with defensive competition(ie. scrimmages) and throw and toss sessions.

CL is a scarey, scarey dude....the scariest since Joe Dickerson.

GDC
10/12/2005, 08:02 AM
Here's some more for you guys that don't get the Tulsa World.

A beaten Bomar vows to get better
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
10/12/2005

NORMAN -- After the beating he took against Texas -- first from the UT defense, then from his critics, then from himself -- Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar says he'll be better.

"I'll grow from it and move on," Bomar said. "I'll be much better because of Saturday."

Said coach Bob Stoops, "Rhett's a tough guy. He'll improve from this."

That's what Sooner fans want to hear as their team -- now 2-3 going into Saturday's game against 4-1 Kansas -- tries to salvage the second half of its season.

In last week's 45-12 loss to the No. 2-ranked Longhorns, Bomar completed just 12-of-33 passes for 93 yards. He threw short passes directly into the grass. He overthrew open receivers, threw into coverage, missed reads and botched assignments.

Perhaps Bomar's most grievous error came late in the game, when he called a pass protection shift to guard against a blitz from the left side. The blockers executed their assignment, but Bomar didn't. He was supposed to throw quickly to a hot receiver on the right side -- where defensive end Brian Robison was coming -- but didn't like what he saw. Knowing Robison would be untouched, he ignored the rush and waited for a receiver to come open on the left

side. Robison crunched Bomar, causing a fumble that Rod Wright returned for a TD.

"We've got five blocking and they're bringing six. One guy's free," Bomar said. "You've got to get it off quick."

Bomar basically ignored his own orders.

"I thought, 'Rhett, that's dumb,' " said Bomar's father and high school coach, Jerry Bomar. " 'You called the protection, you're going to have to throw it to that side or you're going to get blind-sided.' That's a young guy that's just -- he's young. He's a redshirt freshman. He's going to learn, but it's on-the-job training."

In four career starts, Bomar is completing just 50 percent of his passes (the average for the Big 12 Conference's other 11 starting QBs is .593). His passer rating of 94.6 ranks last in the Big 12 and isn't on the NCAA's top 100 list (the Big 12 average is 131.2). His per-game yardage average of 107.0 ranks 11th in the Big 12.

"I have a young player there that I believe is only going to get better," said OU quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator Chuck Long. "You're going to have to wait to be the judge of his career four years from now. I do believe he's going to be a fantastic football player before he's finished here.

"I certainly would like that to accelerate to now, but I also know that he is going to go through some growing pains and he needs to be developed. . . . Sooner or later, he's going to get better."

Tight end Joe Jon Finley has caught both of Bomar's TD passes this season and thinks his young quarterback will be fine.

"He got hit a lot (against Texas), and that makes it tough," said Finley said. "But I think he'll be all right. He'll respond. He's a good leader."

Bomar's father said his son is "a perfectionist," but is also "young and naive. He didn't understand that Oklahoma didn't have a prayer in that game. Not this year."

Jerry Bomar said it was clear that "Rhett's not playing with the freaking No. 2 team in the nation. They're a poor football team right now in a lot of ways. But they're young, and they're going to be good."

Long agreed more experience and talent around Bomar would make him better.

"That was good for him Saturday, even though it was painful and physically tough," Jerry Bomar said. "I think OU will be fine. You've just got to be patient. It's hard, I know, when you've been on top as long as they have. But you've got to remember, they're a bunch of young kids. They're talented, but they're young."

Rhett Bomar said he's already learned from many of the mistakes he made against Texas, and some are "easily correctable. You look at it and you're just kicking yourself sometimes when you're watching film."

His short-hop passes, for instance, are the byproduct of getting in a hurry and forgetting his throwing mechanics. His naturally quick release makes him tend to rely too much on his arm instead of planting his back foot, stepping with his front foot and using a free-flowing motion.

"I was recoiling and throwing off my back foot," he said, "and when you do that, the ball tends to go down."

Said Long, "You have to work that out in practice. It's a chronic thing that quarterbacks go through. . . . they lock that front leg and don't get through the ball. It's like a golfer not getting his hips through on a golf shot. It's a mechanical thing that can be corrected."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected]

GDC
10/12/2005, 08:03 AM

Peterson the Sooners' only life preserver
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
10/12/2005

NORMAN -- The reasons are many for the rise and fall of Oklahoma's football empire. But it's become painfully obvious that Adrian Peterson is the only hope to salvage a season teetering on the brink of a free fall.

Painful, because Peterson is hurt. Obvious, because it's crystal clear the sophomore running back is the only legitimate playmaker and game breaker on OU's offense, and perhaps on the entire Sooner team, which has had its lack of big-play talent exposed during a 2-3 start.

That's not to say some Sooners won't develop into prime-time players. But that won't happen for a season or two, after the freshmen and redshirt freshmen forced into the lineup before they're ready have matured.

If the Sooners are to achieve the six wins needed to become bowl-eligible, they must jump on Peterson's powerful shoulders and let the 6-foot-2, 218-pound sophomore carry them out of their predicament.

But there's where this OU mess gets really messy. Peterson remains hobbled by the right ankle he sprained two games ago against Kansas State.

OU coach Bob Stoops, who confirmed Tuesday that Peterson's injury is the dreaded and slow-healing "high ankle" sprain, listed Peterson's

status for Saturday's game against Kansas as "probable."

Probable? That dreary forecast means it's also "probable" OU's chances of going to a bowl for the seventh consecutive season under Stoops are doomed.

There's simply no way the Sooners can win four of their last six games without Peterson carrying the rock between 40 and 50 times a game.

Yes, that's a ridiculous workload to place on a running back, but there isn't another player capable of sharing that load. The play at quarterback and receiver has been mediocre at best, and downright awful at times.

When a lot of us predicted big things for OU this season, it was based on the logical assumption that Peterson would have a season at least in the same ballpark as the incredible introduction he had to the college game as a true freshman last season.

But Peterson's personal rise and fall personifies what OU has experienced thus far in 2005. Has a runner-up in the Heisman Trophy voting ever fallen so far, so fast the next season?

A year ago this week, Peterson's name was starting to show up on Heisman watch lists throughout the country. Two months later, he was in New York for the Heisman award ceremony where he finished second in the voting to USC quarterback Matt Leinart.

After rushing for 1,925 yards and scoring 15 touchdowns in 2004, Peterson was on every preseason 2005 Heisman watch list. But a check of those same lists this week reveals Peterson isn't even listed as a dark horse candidate, let alone a front-runner.

The obvious reason for Peterson's rapid fall from grace has been his lack of production. He ranks seventh in the Big 12 and 51st in the nation, averaging 80.4 yards per game.

The ankle injury has been a key factor in his drop off. But so has poor offensive line play, and a passing attack so woeful that teams can key on the Sooners' running game.

Stoops insisted that the offensive line has improved the past two games. He believes OU could have run the ball on Texas last Saturday if they hadn't fallen behind and were forced to pass in the 45-12 beating they absorbed from their bitter rival.

The statistics indicate Saturday's matchup against KU at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo., won't favor OU running the ball. The Sooners rank 50th nationally in rushing offense (158 yards per game), while the Jayhawks are third in rushing defense (64.6 yards per game).

Those stats are misleading. KU built up its numbers against three weak nonconference foes, while OU hasn't always had a healthy Peterson available.

So, if Peterson recovers, is he capable of increasing his number of carries? Injuries have limited him to 17.6 carries a game this season after averaging 26 carries per game in 2004. "Because of his body, his strength and endurance, he's like Herschel Walker," said Stoops. "He's got great power to him."

Peterson's also got the power to save OU's season. He's the Sooners' only option.

Dave Sittler 581-8312
[email protected]

GDC
10/12/2005, 08:06 AM

OU Notebook: He feels their pain
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
10/12/2005

Coach Bob Stoops recognized that this is "far and away" the most injuries he has had to deal with as a coach. What began with season-ending injuries to defensive ends Larry Birdine and John Williams has only gotten worse.

Cornerback Eric Bassey, who has battled injuries ranging from his ribs to his head to his hand to his hamstring, is questionable for Saturday's game against Kansas. Wide receiver Travis Wilson is also questionable.

Cornerback Marcus Walker (shoulder, knee) and linebacker Rufus Alexander (leg) are feeling better. So is running back Adrian Peterson, who worked out lightly at practice Tuesday.

"All of the X-rays and MRIs have all ruled out anything major," Stoops said of Peterson's right ankle. "From all that our doctors can decipher, it is a mild high ankle sprain."

On the dotted line: Oklahoma has three quarterbacks on its roster -- Rhett Bomar, walk-on Hays McEachern and Paul Thompson, destined to finish his career at wide receiver barring an injury to Bomar. The Sooners have received a verbal commitment from Putnam City North senior quarterback Sam Bradford, who has thrown for 1,570 yards this season.

Might they consider signing a junior college

quarterback next February?

"It would be hard to do," said OU offensive coordinator Chuck Long. "That's the tough part. You try to fill a gap (in depth at the position). We haven't found anybody. They're hard to find. It's not a high priority for us right now. It's just filling a gap."

So much for karma: Some speculate OU might get a lift by playing in Arrowhead Stadium on Saturday. After all, their last time there resulted in a 42-3 Big 12 title win over Colorado.

"It's a fun atmosphere to play in and will probably give (players) a little extra bounce," Stoops said.

"But it wasn't too long ago that Kansas State really handed it to us there," linebacker Zach Latimer said, remembering a 35-7 OU loss in the 2003 Big 12 championship. "It depends on how you prepare."

Changing times: Chris Messner started in place of Branndon Braxton at right tackle against Texas, the first time since the season opener Braxton didn't get the call. The reason was twofold.

One, offensive line coach Kevin Wilson was worried that Braxton would struggle amid the noise of his first OU-Texas game.

"He's looking at the ball (for the silent snap count), and all of a sudden he doesn't see a blitz coming," Wilson explained. The other factor?

"Branndon didn't have a good week of practice," Wilson said.

Sound football: The Sooners knocked the ball loose from Texas three times. Any chance Latimer was simply following the script when he tried to strip Longhorn running back Jamaal Charles late in the quarter, right before Charles scored on an 80-yard run?

"You're supposed to tackle the guy. Five yards isn't going to break our back, 80 will," Stoops responded. "That's not the right way to make a play. They understand that. That's not sound football."

OklahomaTuba
10/12/2005, 08:19 AM
Maybe Jerry Bomar should be the OC???

FaninAma
10/12/2005, 08:19 AM
So where is the part where Bomar's dad is spouting off? It appears to me he is more critical of Bomar than the coaches although I do agree this team is doing a lot of catchup on the learning curve which should have been handled a lot earlier.

Landthief 1972
10/12/2005, 08:25 AM
40 or 50 carries a game? Might as well order the coffin for Peterson now. Not even Mildren did that for over half a season.

aero
10/12/2005, 08:29 AM
I'm hoping Bomar becomes the stud he has been tabbed to be. Right now I haven't seen it. I'm going to credit that to coaching failure, inexperience, depleted team, etc. I've got my fingers crossed that we are developing players for a team that will compete for the NC for the next few years. I like Bomars fire and grit but the one thing that has bothered me from day one is I can't say I've seen much from him that would tell me he was the #2 recruit in the nation. AD busted onto the scene with a "Get the **** out of my way, the man is here" presence. Other stars have done similar. The one thing in Bomars defense is AD hasn't been as productive this year and he most likely is a victim of the same problems.

Sooner04
10/12/2005, 08:37 AM
You guys can give me all the crap you want, but I heard from more than one source in Norman that Jerry Bomar started placing calls to other D-1 coaches the day Paul Thompson was named starter.

And any time the QB's dad is being interviewed it's bad for business.

Widescreen
10/12/2005, 08:43 AM
His short-hop passes, for instance, are the byproduct of getting in a hurry and forgetting his throwing mechanics. His naturally quick release makes him tend to rely too much on his arm instead of planting his back foot, stepping with his front foot and using a free-flowing motion.

"I was recoiling and throwing off my back foot," he said, "and when you do that, the ball tends to go down."
This is a very positive comment from Rhett. Here's hoping he works on that.

OUthunder
10/12/2005, 08:45 AM

Couldn't be any better/worse than Long could he?

OUthunder
10/12/2005, 08:47 AM
You guys can give me all the crap you want, but I heard from more than one source in Norman than Jerry Bomar started placing calls to other D-1 coaches the day Paul Thompson was named starter.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least based on his past actions.

I think both father and son are spoiled little brats.

sooneron
10/12/2005, 08:56 AM
I'm glad that a HS coach that had a losing record the past few years, feels qualified to speak to the press about coaching at the collegiate level. He needs to tone it down a little and shut up, whereas the press is concerned.

The Maestro
10/12/2005, 08:57 AM
You guys can give me all the crap you want, but I heard from more than one source in Norman than Jerry Bomar started placing calls to other D-1 coaches the day Paul Thompson was named starter.

No kidding. This guy is Theresa Heinz Bomar. Quit saying your son is dumb and quit saying the team he plays for is bad. Be a parent and shut the hell up.

soonernation
10/12/2005, 09:01 AM
Jerry Bomar is way to visible!!!!

Tear Down This Wall
10/12/2005, 09:03 AM
This thing with Bomar's dad, don't expect it to be the last. His presence at some of the OU practices isn't sitting well with the players. He needs to stay at home with his podunk border team, stay out of the Sooner practices, and keep his mouth shut. Every other player's parents seem to be able to; it's not too much to ask of him.

FaninAma
10/12/2005, 09:04 AM
You guys can give me all the crap you want, but I heard from more than one source in Norman that Jerry Bomar started placing calls to other D-1 coaches the day Paul Thompson was named starter.

If you give us sources I don't think you should get any crap. If you don't then you're just passing on rumors that are intended to cast a negative light on a player.

BTW, I agree with Bomar's dad that the QB competition was handled very badly.

Tear Down This Wall
10/12/2005, 09:06 AM

I've heard from a source, whose brother is starting for OU now, that the Bomar father and son act isn't playing well in the locker room. If you're living in Oklahoma and hearing the same type of things I'm hearing from a player's brother down here in Texas.... Mr. Bomar simply needs to shut up and back off.

FaninAma
10/12/2005, 09:06 AM
It wouldn't surprise me in the least based on his past actions.

I think both father and son are spoiled little brats.Well it certainly looks like the Bomar critics are getting their wish.

1st it was accusations of racism now this crap.

It sounds like we've got several underachieving malcontents in the locker room. At least I see some effort on the field on Bomar's part.

Sooner7dust
10/12/2005, 09:07 AM
I'm glad that a HS coach that had a losing record the past few years, feels qualified to speak to the press about coaching at the collegiate level. He needs to tone it down a little and shut up, whereas the press is concerned.

Word.

The Maestro
10/12/2005, 09:08 AM
I'm waiting for this from him...

"That's not how we do things in Grand Prairie."

perculator
10/12/2005, 09:10 AM

i agree........dude needs to shut up. and all the complaining about reps is stupid. i guess we're supposed to just give the job to rhett because he's a top recruit. you still gotta earn it.......even though he didn't.
i think he should be starting because this year is obviously working toward the future and he needs experience. blame also goes to chuck.......it's his job to make sure these guys are ready and he failed miserably.
jerry bomar can place all the calls he wants........one guy won't win or lose a game for us.....ever.

Sooner04
10/12/2005, 09:12 AM
http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_images/tv2/programmes/the_sopranos/james_gandolfini_one_d.jpg

"I'm telling you, it's bad for business."

Clever Trevor
10/12/2005, 09:20 AM
http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_images/tv2/programmes/the_sopranos/james_gandolfini_one_d.jpg

"I'm telling you, it's bad for business."
That's what I was thinking!~ :texan:

sooneron
10/12/2005, 09:30 AM
Why do I feel like I'm seeing the real life father son duo that was in Jerry Maguire?

cowboys70
10/12/2005, 09:43 AM
Is it true that Bomar's Dad has moved from GP and is now living in Norman?

picasso
10/12/2005, 09:47 AM
40 or 50 carries a game? Might as well order the coffin for Peterson now. Not even Mildren did that for over half a season.

the very play Peterson went down on against k-state I was saying to myself "don't give it to Peterson, spread it around, you're going to wear the kid out."

bingo.

RacerX
10/12/2005, 09:48 AM
Pretty soon he'll be calling the Animal....

FaninAma
10/12/2005, 09:49 AM
Why do I feel like I'm seeing the real life father son duo that was in Jerry Maguire?It would be nice if Bomar turned out to be the #1 pick in the draft when he comes out of college....that would mean he had a pretty good college career.

BTW, where were all these Bomar bashing posts after the KSU game?

OUthunder
10/12/2005, 09:52 AM
Fan, I'm a Bomar supporter but his dad needs to back off. You don't see or hearf other players parents pulling some of the stunts that he is ...true or not!

sooneron
10/12/2005, 09:54 AM
I see people bashing his father for ragging on coaching to the media.

colleyvillesooner
10/12/2005, 10:18 AM
Hey dad, STFU!

Stanley1
10/12/2005, 10:23 AM
It would be nice if Bomar turned out to be the #1 pick in the draft when he comes out of college....that would mean he had a pretty good college career.

BTW, where were all these Bomar bashing posts after the KSU game?

You are one of those "OU/Bob Stoops/OU players can't do anything wrong" type of people, aren't you?

Sooner04
10/12/2005, 10:24 AM
You are one of those "OU/Bob Stoops/OU players can't do anything wrong" type of people, aren't you?
Stanley, you need to read the football board more often.

Stanley1
10/12/2005, 10:26 AM
Stanley, you need to read the football board more often.

I'm starting to remember why I didn't. Its easier to go argue with a bum in the street, typically, they know more about football than alot of posters do. :D

FaninAma
10/12/2005, 10:45 AM
I see people bashing his father for ragging on coaching to the media.The guys a dad. He was asked a question by a reporter. He criticized his son quite a bit but he was also being honest about his assessment of how the QB situation was handled....or mishandled. It wasn't handled well.

Stoops seems to get passes for some of his excuse making based on the fact that "he was asked a question."

I can't blame him for speaking up for his kid. I will agree that he's given his opinion and now should be a little less vocal.

Plus, I'd like to see how the entire interview went and not how it was reported by some wormy reporter with an agenda....unless of course you never think reporters take statements out of context or ask agenda-driven questions.

I'm sure TDTW believes every statement he reads in the mainstream media.

FaninAma
10/12/2005, 10:49 AM
Actually I have no problem criticizing coaches who make millions of dollars a year. I even don't have a problem criticizing coaches who make several hundred thousand dollars a year.

I don't see where the University or players share much of the blame for the abysmal season OU is having this year.

Pricetag
10/12/2005, 10:50 AM
The guys a dad. He was asked a question by a reporter. He criticized his son quite a bit but he was also being honest about his assessment of how the QB situation was handled....or mishandled. It wasn't handled well.

Stoops seems to get passes for some of his excuse making based on the fact that "he was asked a question."

I can't blame him for speaking up for his kid. I will agree that he's given his opinion and now should be a little less vocal.

Plus, I'd like to see how the entire interview went and not how it was reported by some wormy reporter with an agenda....unless of course you never think reporters take statements out of context or ask agenda-driven questions.

I agree in theory with what you're saying, but the man needs to realize that it's not his place to talk to the media about this football team, even when it pertains to his son. He should have said something to the effect of, "He's my son, and I support him no matter what. Beyond that, I have no comment."

I think it's ridiculous that reporters would be trying to get stuff from him anyway. Even they should know better than that.

Jimminy Crimson
10/12/2005, 10:55 AM
Would anyone really notice if the Tulsa World was published or not? ;)

leavingthezoo
10/12/2005, 11:06 AM
if half of the snaps = bomar is no fun to watch at all... and all of the snaps = bomar best quarterback ever, would 3/4's of the snaps = oh this is silly. if this is the best you get with 1/2 of the snaps, gettin' all of 'em probably won't make much of a difference.

bomar might or might not get it together for the sooners. but to blame it on getting 1/2 of preseason snaps is WEAK! WEAK I TELL YOU! There is this theory that you work with what you get, and make every snap count. or are we just getting so desperate we're willing to pitch our tent on any little bit of imagined hope, and call it paradise?

i think a change in attitude, and dad shutting his trap will help lil bomar go a long way. and a year as a redshirt would have really helped more than anything else. too bad that opportunity didn't afford itself.

and here's a thought, when dad is asked about his son... try a little humility without the blame, "Rhett's got a great opportunity. A better opportunity than most. His start is a little shaky, but with more experience against REAL opponents, he'll come into his own. He's just got to get after it. No excuses- make something happen with what you've got. I believe in him!"

sounds a lot more impressive than, "those meanie head coaches didn't give mah boy enough snaps in preseason! i bet they didn't warm his milk either! bastages!"

and i don't care "what context" his answer was in. i can't imagine a context that makes it any less whiny. :P

badger
10/12/2005, 11:08 AM
bomar's mom sits next to the band (she wears a "mom" jersey). she is really nice. some of those parents can be downright angry if their dear little sons aren't on the field 24/7, hehe.

Rhino
10/12/2005, 11:18 AM
Jerry Bomar needs to stop being a publicity hound and go back to being a horrible high school football coach.

Scott D
10/12/2005, 11:23 AM
Jerry Bomar needs to stop being a publicity hound and go back to being a horrible high school football coach.

But then he might lose his 'Little League Dad' persona ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/12/2005, 11:43 AM
yeah, he's actually good at that...

FaninAma
10/12/2005, 11:51 AM
and i don't care "what context" his answer was in. i can't imagine a context that makes it any less whiny. :P
Remember that thought if you should ever have the misfortune of talking to a reporter who is determined to create a controversy. Hopefully Bomar, sr will now realize this and tell the reporter to GF himself.

Scott D
10/12/2005, 11:54 AM
Remember that thought if you should ever have the misfortune of talking to a reporter who is determined to create a controversy. Hopefully Bomar, sr will now realize this and tell the reporter to GF himself.

Based on past interviews of the man, I doubt that is a likely scenario...he's enjoying the spotlight just a little too much I think.

azzbakwardz
10/12/2005, 11:57 AM
Young team, young QB, which would you rather have, a team capable of winning out and struggling because of poor QB play, or a team learning and getting better together?
Bomar will get better, no doubt, his dad is prolly like Marinavic's (sp) dad was, remeber that tragedy? He's all over him, which is unfair as hell, I mean, RB is all over himself already, dont imagine the guy is happy with his own performance, and has a ton of pressure anyway.
Florida State has been living with crappy QB play for years now, look where they are, good enough to win, but the QB mistakes kill em, I'll take struggling now for kicking *** later, no problem!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/12/2005, 12:01 PM
he reminds me of kelenna azubuike's dad

badger
10/12/2005, 12:03 PM
let's hope this isn't another brad smith dad... although he had a real reason to complain about what happened to his son.

MamaMia
10/12/2005, 12:07 PM
Wow, things are looking up for that little scout team quarterback.

Penguin
10/12/2005, 12:14 PM
This is why the team is 2-3? Because the QB's dad blows off steam around a reporter?

This is why there are lockerroom issues? Because some players are reading about Bomar's dad and they're throwing hissy fits?

If the answer is yes to any of those questions, then Stoops has no control over this team. Something drastic needs to change. I just don't see how this team can gradually get better.

PDXsooner
10/12/2005, 12:19 PM
gdc, that really hurts to see on your sig.

GDC
10/12/2005, 12:23 PM
gdc, that really hurts to see on your sig.

Yeah, I know, I blame Coach Schmidt and Jerry Bomar. :mad: :texan:

Harry Beanbag
10/12/2005, 12:29 PM
Heh, zoo said something about pitching a tent. :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/12/2005, 12:37 PM
This is why the team is 2-3? Because the QB's dad blows off steam around a reporter?

This is why there are lockerroom issues? Because some players are reading about Bomar's dad and they're throwing hissy fits?

If the answer is yes to any of those questions, then Stoops has no control over this team. Something drastic needs to change. I just don't see how this team can gradually get better.

no, i believe we are just talking about how bomar's dad needs to not talk to the media...

Salt City Sooner
10/12/2005, 12:53 PM
You beat me to the hoop reference, but the first name that popped into my head was Ryan Hump.

Blues1
10/12/2005, 12:57 PM
No matter how you Slice or Dice this Dad & Son stuff- It just ain't Cool..!!!

IMHO- Somethings are out of Control --

Still R'

leavingthezoo
10/12/2005, 01:05 PM

fair enough. i'll try to learn the lesson from Bomar, Sr. that Bomar, Sr and Jr. have not learned themselves. :D

seriously though, i hope bomar does well, and i think he has all the potential in the world. carrying the stress of your fathers minor meltdowns when you're trying to find your way can't be helpful though. that's all i'm saying.

The Maestro
10/12/2005, 01:07 PM

You're just bragging cause you can spell that name.

FaninAma
10/12/2005, 01:27 PM
fair enough. i'll try to learn the lesson from Bomar, Sr. that Bomar, Sr and Jr. have not learned themselves. :D

seriously though, i hope bomar does well, and i think he has all the potential in the world. carrying the stress of your fathers minor meltdowns when you're trying to find your way can't be helpful though. that's all i'm saying.It happened once to me. A reporter asked me if he could ask a few questions about child care in Amarillo and I said yes. During the interview I noticed how he wanted to keep focusing on the negative aspects of pediatric care in the community such as the lack of specialty care and I kept directing him back to the positives.

When the article came out in the Amarillo Globe News The headline read: "Local Pediatrician Claims Child Healthcare In Amarillo Is In Crisis."

Needless to say I caught some serious flak from my colleagues and spent a lot of time reassuring people I knew that that's not the way I felt at all.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/12/2005, 01:27 PM
You're just bragging cause you can spell that name.

actually i had to peem dolemite...

Sooner04
10/12/2005, 01:39 PM
actually i had to peem dolemite...
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif

OUthunder
10/12/2005, 03:04 PM

He can do both with one hand tied behind his back.

sooneron
10/12/2005, 03:26 PM
The guys a dad. He was asked a question by a reporter. He criticized his son quite a bit but he was also being honest about his assessment of how the QB situation was handled....or mishandled. It wasn't handled well.

I agree that it wasn't handled too well. I don't think a losing 2A HS school coach knows the issues at a major D1 program to comment on it in the press.
It seems that a situation that was no win for the staff was handled poorly. I don't think there were too many other ways that they could have handled it better. Maybe little Elway should have shown himself to actually execute better in the Spring.

I agree that a lot of this could have been taken out of context. Maybe the dad should have just said that his son needs to improve and that this offense hasn't had a lot of reps together as the starting qb was not clear or decided earlier. They'll get better, blah blah blah...

He does remind me of Azuibuke's dad also. Quit following your son around and get a life.

OKC-SLC
10/12/2005, 04:07 PM
I'm waiting for this from him...

"That's not how we do things in Grand Prairie."
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Maestro again.

OKC-SLC
10/12/2005, 04:11 PM
exactly what I was thinking.

GDC
10/12/2005, 05:17 PM
exactly what I was thinking.

Except Azibuike's dad is a convicted felon doing time.

tulsaoilerfan
10/12/2005, 05:30 PM
Bomar's dad should just come here to complain like we do. :D

OKC-SLC
10/12/2005, 05:38 PM
Except Azibuike's dad is a convicted felon doing time.
Um, I'm sure there are a lot of ways they are different. I thought we were talking about the way they are both quite vocal regarding their sons' abilities/slights. At least that's what I was thinking.

OUthunder
10/12/2005, 05:47 PM
Bomar's dad should just come here to complain like we do. :D

HeeHeeHee.
:D

Soonerred59
10/12/2005, 05:48 PM
IMHO, I don't know how Mr. Bomar expects his son to ever gain respect as the team leader if his daddy feels the need to publicly defend his son. He is a big boy now and he can handle it. If he can't he shouldn't be our QB. We need a leader, not a little boy who needs his daddy's protection. I like Rhet and think he will be a great QB someday, but he will never gain the respect of his team, or a lot of fans, until Bomar Sr. shuts up, sits down and lets him be. This of course, is just my opinion. I don't claim to be an expert, just a fan of the game.

KaiserSooner
10/12/2005, 06:05 PM
:rolleyes:

You'd think ole dad would think before opening his trap, that he's only doing more harm to his son than good.

Remembering Tom Stidham
10/12/2005, 06:16 PM
Rhett is not only his father's genetic product but is also his coaching prodigy. Jerry Bomar is suffering in both areas and would not be a normal dad/coach if he had not expressed his disappointment. In Grand Prairie he is considered an excellent coach with mediocre talent. Calling other coaches at other football universities? Baloney. That would have gotten back to Bob Stoops and damaged Rhett's status in our program. Jerry is smart and will learn from this unwanted publicity. We won't be hearing his opinions, again.

TUSooner
10/12/2005, 06:17 PM
He probly wouldn't settle for less than Head Coach.

FaninAma
10/12/2005, 06:42 PM
All I know is that I have this thread saved and some of you will be seeing it again. :D

booomer
10/12/2005, 06:54 PM
I always thought Jerry Bomar had a Azubuike (Kelenna's father) quality about him.

He needs to STFU and butt out. Those comments aren't going to help Rhett one bit.

OU-HSV
10/12/2005, 07:22 PM
Maybe Jerry Bomar should quit talking to the media so damn much.
Fixed it.

OU-HSV
10/12/2005, 07:23 PM
I wonder if Jerry Bomar is like Tim McGraw was in Friday night lights?

OUthunder
10/12/2005, 08:05 PM
I wonder if Jerry Bomar is like Tim McGraw was in Friday night lights?

:eek:

Soonerus
10/12/2005, 08:22 PM
In a related story: Little League player's parent physically attacks coach over playing time....

BASSooner
10/12/2005, 08:45 PM
I wonder if Rhett has ever tried to shut his dad's mouth....ooooorrr Stoops stepping up to shut this guy up

SoonerBorn68
10/12/2005, 09:09 PM
I didn't see this in the five pages of posts but just an observation from the first article's title "Bomar Needs More Reps"...

If you make first downs, you get more reps.

Soonrboy
10/12/2005, 09:23 PM
This is a case of a daddy taking up for his son, it just happened on a larger scale. I have two buddies that teach at the college level and they get phone calls from parents telling them that they make their classes too hard for their little darlings, or to ask if their child can have a make-up test, or to move a test because it's interferring with a fraternity/sorority social...

Parents need to keep their griping at home and remember to let their kids grow up.

Soonerus
10/12/2005, 09:37 PM
Advice to Bomar: "Just Do It"

TXBOOMER
10/12/2005, 09:39 PM

Coach Bomar is good at making excuses in everything. I'd like to see him win some district games in Texas High School football before he gives OU coaches advice. STFU Bomar.

westcoast_sooner
10/12/2005, 10:00 PM
Sounds like Mr. Bomar has one thing on his mind, and that's getting his youngun to the NFL someday, so he can look after the old man. I've liked what I've seen from the kid, and it sounds like he knows what he needs to do from a mechanical perspective, and a reading the defense perspective in order to get better. I think the best thing he could do is tell his dad to shut up and sit down. Mr. Bomar needs to worry about his own football team, so that maybe they can win a few.

OUthunder
10/12/2005, 10:10 PM
Advice to Bomar: "Just Do It"

Advice to Bomar, Sr: "Just Shut It!"

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/12/2005, 10:21 PM
advice to weird al: "just eat it!"

GDC
10/13/2005, 07:39 AM

Notebook: Stoops responds to Bomar
By GUERIN EMIG AND JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writers
10/13/2005

Jerry Bomar told the Tulsa World this week that the struggles of his son, quarterback Rhett Bomar, could be attributed to the fact that coaches didn't provide him enough practice snaps in the past year. That created a firestorm of reaction on talk radio and Internet message boards Wednesday, something coach Bob Stoops tried to sedate after practice.

"He said that his son needs to get more snaps. That's understandable. I agree," Stoops said. "He's got to continue to get more. He's a young guy and the more he gets the better he's going to be. There's nothing damaging there."

That Jerry Bomar's comments were directed as far back as last spring, when Bomar was competing for the position with Paul Thompson and Tommy Grady? "It would be nice to get one guy all the snaps," Stoops said, "but our philosophy has always been having guys work through it. Other guys were still in the hunt. I feel good about the way we work with all of our players."

Peterson improving: Running back Adrian Peterson, trying to recover from a high ankle sprain he sustained Oct. 1, worked out in shoulder pads Wednesday.

"(Trainers) seem to think he's improving all the time," Stoops said. "He did more today. We'll see how much he can get tomorrow."

Also on the mend is cornerback Marcus Walker. Already recovering from a shoulder dislocation, Walker strained a knee ligament in practice two weeks ago.

"He felt good yesterday and today," secondary coach Bobby Jack Wright said. "He was running around a lot better."

D.J. Wolfe will start at one corner against Kansas on Saturday. Wright doesn't know who will start at the other. Eric Bassey has started the last two games, but was injured against Texas and hasn't practiced since.

Self reflection: Stoops said Tuesday he wouldn't consider making any changes to his staff after his first difficult season, and he didn't feel like grading how well he and his staff have coached this year.

"I'm not going to sit here and go into what mistakes we've made," he said. "We have not been good, the players have not been good, and we've had a lot of whatever. Say whatever you want. I've done a lousy job. Say that."

Stoops has lost just six assistants in six-plus seasons and hasn't fired one. He said loyalty to him was not that big a deal. "What's important is how guys work and how loyal they are to a program, not to me," he said.

Position switch: Sophomore Darien Williams, who started the year as free safety, has been moved to shore up depth at cornerback. Injuries to Bassey and Walker and inconsistent play from Chijioke Onyenegecha necessitated the move for Williams, who played cornerback his first two seasons.

Scott D
10/13/2005, 07:56 AM
Also on the mend is cornerback Marcus Walker. Already recovering from a shoulder dislocation, Walker strained a knee ligament in practice two weeks ago.

"He felt good yesterday and today," secondary coach Bobby Jack Wright said. "He was running around a lot better."

In a year or two fans are going to speak of Walker like they speak of Bassey if the coaching staff keeps this up.

Rhino
10/13/2005, 10:12 AM
Or Akim Millington. Or Terrance Simms.

FaninAma
10/13/2005, 01:59 PM
And you're one of those people who acts like a twittering old woman when you hear an unsubstantiated rumor.

sooneron
10/13/2005, 02:15 PM
What does everyone think about D WIlliams getting moved back to safety?

Harry Beanbag
10/13/2005, 02:28 PM
Again? He just got moved to corner two days ago.

Widescreen
10/13/2005, 02:41 PM
I heard we're going with some new no-cornerback sets. I mean officially, since we've technically been playing that way anyway.

OKC-SLC
10/13/2005, 03:12 PM
I heard we're going with some new no-cornerback sets. I mean officially, since we've technically been playing that way anyway.
heh.

NormanPride
10/13/2005, 03:33 PM
Just stick a few more LBs in there and we'll be fine. LBs cover just as well! [/Venables]

Texas Golfer
10/13/2005, 09:06 PM
I agree that it wasn't handled too well. I don't think a losing 2A HS school coach knows the issues at a major D1 program to comment on it in the press.
It seems that a situation that was no win for the staff was handled poorly. I don't think there were too many other ways that they could have handled it better. Maybe little Elway should have shown himself to actually execute better in the Spring.

I agree that a lot of this could have been taken out of context. Maybe the dad should have just said that his son needs to improve and that this offense hasn't had a lot of reps together as the starting qb was not clear or decided earlier. They'll get better, blah blah blah...

He does remind me of Azuibuke's dad also. Quit following your son around and get a life.

I agree with this but, in his defense, Jerry Bomar was a winning 5A coach here in Killeen.

GDC
10/14/2005, 01:33 PM
Here's more Tulsa World articles.

OU Notebook: Errors of their ways
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
10/14/2005

Some of the mistakes Oklahoma has been making are obvious. Zach Latimer trying to strip Jamaal Charles instead of tackling him, for instance, before Charles' 80-yard touchdown run. Or Reggie Smith freezing on a boundary route and giving up a 64-yard touchdown catch.

Others aren't so clear, but are no less aggravating.

Take Vince Young's 22-yard completion to Ramonce Taylor last week on a third-and-eight play.

"We run a zone blitz and they have one running back for two blitzers," OU coach Bob Stoops said. "Well, our inside blitzer runs outside and cuts off the outside (blitzer). And if he doesn't, with the timing of it, we're going to hit (Young). And it's something that we run over and over. Why we don't execute it is aggravating."

Perhaps it is a simple case of inexperience.

One of the blitzers on that play was safety Nic Harris, a freshman who was starting his second game.

Better than Texas? Kansas' run defense is third-ranked nationally and not just because the Jayhawks beat Florida Atlantic, Appalachian State and Louisiana Tech to open their season.

"Their front seven get off blocks as good or better than the team we just played, no disrespect to Texas," said Kevin Wilson,

OU's offensive line coach and running game coordinator. "It's going to be a tremendous challenge."

Kansas' linebackers -- Nick Reid, Banks Floodman and Kevin Kane -- are among the top 21 tacklers in the Big 12 Conference. And they're getting plenty of help up front.

Defensive end Charlton Keith recorded 3 tackles for lost yardage and a sack at Kansas State last week.

The previous Saturday, the Jayhawks sacked Texas Tech quarterback Cody Hodges five times.

"It seemed like they had guys everywhere," Hodges said afterward.

After taking his turn last Saturday, K-State quarterback Allan Evridge said, "I'll be very sore tomorrow."

Right direction: Lost in the 45-12 final score was that OU's offensive line received decent reviews for its effort against Texas.

"The times we ran the football, we ran it pretty well," Stoops said. "We just weren't able to do it enough, with the score being what it was."

The first half, before the game got out of hand and the Sooners started winging it, OU's 16 running plays net 47 yards.

In terms of pass protection, Texas' three sacks came as a result of breakdowns by a tight end, a running back and a quarterback.

The play where he fumbled after being sacked by Brian Robison, Rhett Bomar was supposed to unload a quick throw and did not.

GDC
10/14/2005, 01:36 PM

Offensive woes across Big 12 could create close games
By JOHN KLEIN Senior Sports Columnist
10/14/2005

The lack of offense, ailing Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, has reached epidemic proportions around the Big 12.

With a few notable exceptions, Texas and Colorado to name a couple, most of the league's teams are finding it difficult to score.

Missouri, with quarterback Brad Smith, and Texas Tech, with coach Mike Leach, are teams that should be able to score enough to win.

But almost everywhere you look in the Big 12 there are offensive questions that should lead to more low-scoring, closely-contested games.

That may be good news at OU, where the Sooners are struggling with new players, and OSU, where the Cowboys are trying to adapt to new players and a new system.

It may be bad news for Texas. The Longhorns need the league to be better for strength of schedule numbers in its quest to play in the national championship game.

Still, it figures most conference games will be very competitive. That has certainly been true to this point. Only Texas and Colorado have been able to breeze to a couple of wins.

Oklahoma's immediate problems could be solved with a simple solution. If Adrian Peterson can return to full health for the remainder of the season, the Sooners will dramatically improve on offense.

Peterson is the greatest security blanket for a quarterback in this conference. Rhett Bomar's continued struggles in the passing game can be covered up somewhat by Peterson's terrific running.

There's little question Peterson was the single reason OU beat Tulsa. Without Peterson on that day, when the Sooners didn't attempt one pass in the second half, the Hurricane appeared on its way to a upset.

A back like Peterson can be the difference most days.

Plus, OU's defense has been giving up big plays. The Sooners have good athletes on defense but find themselves out of position on some plays.

It would be wrong to blame OU's troubles on the lack of a passing game. Bomar has not progressed as some would like, but that could be said of any number of positions.

"I felt like overall coming into the year that we would be stronger and better than we have been," said OU's Bob Stoops. "You can name a bunch of reasons we haven't been. You can blame it on me. That's fine. But I'm not going to sit here and act like coming into the year I didn't feel we'd be better than this. I did. But all we can do is try to improve from here."

Bomar's father might want to leave the coaching to Stoops. The QB's dad suggested this week that OU coaches might have bungled the development of his son because practice reps at quarterback were split between three players in the spring and two in the fall.

Well, Tulsa's Paul Smith only got half the reps during spring ball and he seems to have turned out just fine.

What Bomar needs most is a healthy Peterson, not more reps in the spring.

"He needs to improve," said Stoops of Bomar. "He definitely took a step back in our last game."

It may be ironic, but OSU seems to have the identical offensive problems as OU.

The Cowboys have a highly recruited quarterback from two years ago, named the starter early in the season, who is struggling with his passing.

There may be far different reasons for Bobby Reid's struggles but one is obvious. Much like OU without Peterson, OSU has been unable to generate much offense on the ground.

Without a consistent running threat, teams have ganged up on the passing game.

The results have been predictable. Until O-State went to a power ground game against Missouri, the Cowboys had put no fear into anyone.

Now, if they are able to run better, that should generate more offense.

The Cowboys, like so many other teams in this league, know some encouraging signs of offense could turn around what has been a discouraging couple of weeks.

"It made me feel good as a coach to watch our offense, which had struggled somewhat in the early part of the season, get behind by multiple scores then fight to come back," said OSU coach Mike Gundy. "They put themselves in position to win the game."

It was certainly the first sign of any offensive life and should give OSU some hope for the remainder of the season.

The heavy load of injuries, including Reid, may dampen OSU's hopes of an upset at Texas A&M on Saturday. But continued improvement on offense may give it hope that better days are ahead.

John Klein 581-8368
[email protected]

GDC
10/14/2005, 01:39 PM

Stoops deserves an Oscar
By dave.sittler
10/5/2005

NORMAN - Either Bob Stoops knows something the rest of us don't, or he deserves an Oscar for the best performance by a coach who knew his team didn't have a shot but acted like it did.

While Texas coach Mack Brown is once again starting to feel the collar on that Nike shirt start to tighten around his neck, a laid-back Stoops acts like this is the week of the Red-White Spring Game instead of OU-Texas Week and the Red River Rivalry at the Cotton Bowl in Big D.

At his press conference this week, Stoops joked with the media and actually appeared to be having a good time. He certainly didn't resemble the coach of an OU team that is 2-2 and a 13 1/2 underdog Saturday to the Longhorns.

"What's worrying going to do for me?" Stoops said. "We'll prepare well and get ourselves ready to play and go down there (Dallas) with the attitude of making plays."

When Stoops was asked if all he had to do was beat Texas to make OU fans happy, he said: "According to our first few games this year, it (Texas win) doesn't count for much.

"All those people who used to tell me, "Just beat Texas and don't worry about anything else", I haven't heard from any of them in a long time.

"Those people like to say that in the summer.

But in the end, they want to win the rest of them, too."

So does Stoops. And darned if he isn't acting like his Sooners are going to do it to Brown and his Longhorns for a sixth consecutive season.

Personally, I think Stoops' bravado is an act. A way to instill confidence into his young team. And he pulls it off, some one will need to get on the horn to Hollywood and tell them we have a heckuva an Oscar nomination for them.

AzianSooner
10/14/2005, 02:17 PM
OU will be back on top right at .... next year.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/9/2006, 05:05 PM
Hmmm. Interesting in light of recent events.

tulsaoilerfan
8/9/2006, 05:45 PM
I forgot about this thread that i started last year. lol

ashley
8/9/2006, 07:42 PM
Fannin is just one of those guys in the stands who thinks he can coach football, bar-b-q and have sex better than any one else. I have a question for him.. How do you block the quick trap and the counter trey.. That will tell us all we need to know. I don't think he can tell us. I know how.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/9/2006, 08:45 PM
Fannin is just one of those guys in the stands who thinks he can coach football, bar-b-q and have sex better than any one else. I have a question for him.. How do you block the quick trap and the counter trey.. That will tell us all we need to know. I don't think he can tell us. I know how.What does that have to do with bomar's dad?

badger
8/9/2006, 08:50 PM
Do you think that Jerry is living through his son? The number one quarterback recruited in the nation--- whom he personally coached--- and even showed up to OU practices to give his (unwelcome) perspectives.

This is a retorical question. We all know the answer already.