10/11/2005, 11:18 PM
watch and see

he's living proof that it aint all about the allignees

OklahomaTuba
10/11/2005, 11:26 PM
As big as Mangino?

westcoast_sooner
10/12/2005, 12:23 AM
He probably would have done great things (at least good things, let's not get carried away) at Kentucky if he would have stayed. The Baylor job was a lateral move, but he's inspired those guys there, and they have been playing well - er, better than they did before, and that's an improvement for them. I don't know if he's on the level of a Bob Stoops - he hasn't won a championship yet, but at least he's got his guys believing a little bit. That's better than the aTm coach is doing!!

SicEmBaylor
10/12/2005, 12:40 AM
SHHHH, I don't want anyone else to know this! I want to keep him down in Waco for awhile.

We've got a great coach and a great staff. It isn't just motivation that GuyMo is good at our defensive schemes are excellent at the moment and our offense, while straight forward, is clicking.

I've noticed that the more confident our players get and the fewer needless mistakes they make, the more the staff opens up the play book and gives them more to work with. Working well so far.

snp
10/12/2005, 12:40 AM
Moving from Baylor to Kentucky isn't really a lateral move. There's lots more talent to recruit here in Texas then Kentucky, and the SEC is harder then the B12.

It's like a sidestep, and then half a step up the ladder. It'll give him the oppurtunity to go elsewhere.

yermom
10/12/2005, 12:51 AM
if he gets them to a bowl game or two he's gone

SicEmBaylor
10/12/2005, 01:40 AM
He probably would have done great things (at least good things, let's not get carried away) at Kentucky if he would have stayed. The Baylor job was a lateral move, but he's inspired those guys there, and they have been playing well - er, better than they did before, and that's an improvement for them. I don't know if he's on the level of a Bob Stoops - he hasn't won a championship yet, but at least he's got his guys believing a little bit. That's better than the aTm coach is doing!!

Well there were problems at Kentucky, for example, they were on probation...

Plus GuyMo is from Texas and played at TCU, so I think coming home to coach where he has a lot of contacts around the state and knows a lot of the HS coaches had a lot of appeal. That and the $1m+ contract we gave him...

royalfan5
10/12/2005, 08:26 AM
I admire the attitude that Morris has instilled in the Baylor players. It seems like they are playing like they have nothing to lose, and they aren't afraid of anybody. I hope Baylor can keep him for awhile, and Okie State takes their rightful place at the bottom of the south.

jthomas666
10/12/2005, 09:40 AM
Moving from Baylor to Kentucky isn't really a lateral move. There's lots more talent to recruit here in Texas then Kentucky, and the SEC is harder then the B12.

It's like a sidestep, and then half a step up the ladder. It'll give him the oppurtunity to go elsewhere.Yep. Keep in mind, at Kentucky, football's primary function is to fill the void between the NCAA Tournament and Midnight Madness. Morriss not only went to his alma mater, but went to a program where people would actually pay attention if the team did well. He's very good at fundamentals, so I'm not surprised that Baylor has improved.

And since Morriss left, Kentucky has dropped like a rock. They have reached the cellar of the SEC and have started to dig.

jreed13
10/12/2005, 09:42 AM
No

David Earl
10/12/2005, 09:48 AM
Baylor is going to KILL us and they are going to beat UT by 60 points! Baylor will win the Big 12. GADOCADWI

mdklatt
10/12/2005, 10:32 AM
I admire the attitude that Morris has instilled in the Baylor players. It seems like they are playing like they have nothing to lose, and they aren't afraid of anybody.

Exactly. Even when they've been severely overmatched they've always played hard under Morris. Maybe he'll take over for Frantastic in a year or two....

TripleOption14
10/12/2005, 10:43 AM
He does have those boys believing. However, a guy by the name Jim Grobe will soon be hearing more and more phones ring.

Soonermagik
10/12/2005, 10:45 AM
No, Mike Leach!!!!!

Husker In Oklahoma
10/12/2005, 01:12 PM
I admire the attitude that Morris has instilled in the Baylor players. It seems like they are playing like they have nothing to lose, and they aren't afraid of anybody. I hope Baylor can keep him for awhile, and Okie State takes their rightful place at the bottom of the south.

Funny you mention Okie State.

Prediction: Mike Gundy will be gone from OSU (fired) after the 2007 season. Mike Gundy was a poor choice for a HC IMO. He hasn't a clue IMO. Larry Fedora's offense struggled at Florida, where he had great players (big talent pool), they weren't that great. What makes Mike Gundy think that crap is going to work at OSU with a minimal talent pool? It Won't.

The headline will be something like this:
Former player and Head Coach Mike Gundy was fired today, after going 7-26 at OSU after 3 years as the Cowboys Head Coach. This following OSU's 3rd straight losing season. Mark it down!!

TexasLidig8r
10/12/2005, 01:17 PM
Not to bait you guys.. but, Gary Patterson at TCU is going to start to attract more attention from the big boys.

He took over after Franocchio bolted to Bama and has built the Frog program into a pretty competitive program.

http://gofrogs.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/patterson_gary00.html

Someone in a BCS conference.. Like when Gundy leaves Okie Lite in shambles.. or.. Mizzou (?) is going to look at him and tell him to step to the plate.

One thing is for sure.. it is nice to know that the school a person supports is a "destination" program.. instead of a "stepping stone" program.

David Earl
10/12/2005, 01:18 PM
Funny you mention Okie State.

Prediction: Mike Gundy will be gone from OSU (fired) after the 2007 season. Mike Gundy was a poor choice for a HC IMO. He hasn't a clue IMO. Larry Fedora's offense struggled at Florida, where he had great players (big talent pool), they weren't that great. What makes Mike Gundy think that crap is going to work at OSU with a minimal talent pool? It Won't.

The headline will be something like this:
Former player and Head Coach Mike Gundy was fired today, after going 7-26 at OSU after 3 years as the Cowboys Head Coach. This following OSU's 3rd straight losing season. Mark it down!!

Baylor will beat OSU.

Baylor will crawl to the top, play USC in the national championship game and OBLITERATE them! It may be 84-0 for crying out loud.

mdklatt
10/12/2005, 01:21 PM
One thing is for sure.. it is nice to know that the school a person supports is a "destination" program.. instead of a "stepping stone" program.

It's all relative. It seems like WVU is a destination program for Rich Rodgriguez, but it would be a stepping stone for most other coaches. Alabama is certainly a destination program, but it was just a stepping stone for Frantastic. Destination programs are often just stepping stones to the NFL. Do you think Mack will ever leave for the NFL? As far as I know he's never shown any interest in doing that, and the NFL has returned the favor.

David Earl
10/12/2005, 01:24 PM
Baylor would beat most NFL teams right now.

TexasLidig8r
10/12/2005, 01:31 PM
It's all relative. It seems like WVU is a destination program for Rich Rodgriguez, but it would be a stepping stone for most other coaches. Alabama is certainly a destination program, but it was just a stepping stone for Frantastic. Destination programs are often just stepping stones to the NFL. Do you think Mack will ever leave for the NFL? As far as I know he's never shown any interest in doing that, and the NFL has returned the favor.
By destination, meaning, the pinnacle of college coaching. For example, take Rich Rodriguez.. if Oklahoma, or Nebraska, or Texas came calling and said Rich ole boy, here's $2.5 Million a year, plus money you will earn from shoe contracts, and coach's show contracts... he'd probably bolt in a heartbeat.

As for Bama and Franocchio, I'm talking common sense here. Before his coaching career is over, Franocchio will be known as the Larry Brown of college coaches.. but without the hardware.

Texas, Oklahoma, Neutred Dame, Nebraska, the three Florida schools, Bama, Tennessee, Michigan, Ohio St, USC, Penn. St... not many others.

David Earl
10/12/2005, 01:37 PM
Baylor should be ranked #1 and their second team should be ranked #2.

And their scout team of walkons should be ranked #3.

OklahomaTuba
10/12/2005, 01:40 PM
I hear their bear claw hand signal is even ranked now!

David Earl
10/12/2005, 01:42 PM
I heard they are recruiting Godzilla to play fullback. It's all but a done deal.

SicEmBaylor
10/12/2005, 01:45 PM
The thing is of course that I'm naturally inclined to believe (obviously) that Baylor would be a stepping stone program, however the problem is we've never had enough success for any of our coaches to step anywhere except for down.

I honestly don't have these huge outrageous expectations for Baylor football. I think typical 6-7 win seasons would be AMAZING, and I certainly don't expect to be in contention for a conference championship every year. All I'm looking for is consistency, some winning seasons, and staying competitive in the conference. If GuyMo does all of those things then I hope we lock him up for a very long.

But time will tell and GuyMo has to do what is best for GuyMo.

On a side note, he would never coach at aTm. He seems to have a deep seeded resentment of the entire Aggie cult, and seems to genuinely hate Franchione.

David Earl
10/12/2005, 01:49 PM
Quite seriously, I honestly think Baylor is vastly improved and will probably go bowling. I am very concerned we will not beat Baylor this year.

homerSimpsonsBrain
10/12/2005, 03:07 PM
I heard they are recruiting Godzilla to play fullback. It's all but a done deal.

Rivals said Godzilla was a freakin MONSTER. Guy could crush a tank!!! :D

King Crimson
10/12/2005, 03:17 PM
the other factor about UK and Baylor is that UK will always be a basketball school first. so, when it comes to recources within the AD....yer gonna be fighting an uphill battle.

snp
10/12/2005, 09:19 PM
Quite seriously, I honestly think Baylor is vastly improved and will probably go bowling. I am very concerned we will not beat Baylor this year.
Baylor is so good, that they're going to enter the professional bowling association and win that too.

Man I can't wait til the Baylor Bowl. That's the new name of the Super Bowl, fyi.

TXBOOMER
10/12/2005, 09:46 PM
I think Guy is a great coach......He does the most with the least.

AllAboutThe'O'
10/13/2005, 12:06 AM
the other factor about UK and Baylor is that UK will always be a basketball school first. so, when it comes to recources within the AD....yer gonna be fighting an uphill battle.
As the story goes, when Bear Bryant coached at UK, as a reward for their good season, boosters gave him a cigarette lighter. However, they rewarded basketball coach Adolph Rupp with a Cadillac.

OklahomaTuba
11/20/2007, 09:30 AM
My my my, how time flys!

;)

badger
11/20/2007, 11:23 AM
way to BUMP em while they're down!

achiro
11/20/2007, 11:58 AM
I still think the guy is a heck of a coach. Haven't watched the whole thing play out but am real surprised Baylor is already letting him go.:rolleyes: