PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Please Beat the Cardinals?

AllAboutThe'O'
10/6/2005, 06:05 PM
I'm so sick of the St. Louis Cardinal lovefest around here, it's nauseating. Most people around here act as if Busch Stadium is 20 miles away, while the truth is Arlington and Kansas City are closer to my town in distance than St. Louis is. I understand there's a lot of Cardinal fans here because of the Gashouse Gang and the Harry Caray on KMOX days, but they act as if every other major league club is beneath them and that the Cardinals are the be-all, end-all of the baseball world.
I'm tired about hearing what a "genius" Tony LaRussa is. If he's so smart, how come he hasn't won more than one World Series title? And how many World Series rings has he won with the Cards? Yeah, he's a good manager, but he's also an arrogant a**. His little stunt with the fungo bat the other night while taking exception to that question about Mark McGwire's return to Busch made my blood boil. And I've hated LaRussa long before he came to St. Louis.
I'm also tired of hearing how St. Louis fans are the best baseball fans in baseball, how they don't boo their own players and respect others. Fine and dandy, but some of those "great" fans are still sending hate mail to Don Denkinger because of what happened in '85. Yeah, it was a bad call but the Cards macked it up in Game 6 and didn't even bother to show up for Game 7.
I despise Larry Walker, because he didn't want to come play for the Rangers in a pennant drive last season but wanted to be just another big fish in the pond by agreeing to a trade to the Cards. Isringhausen also stiffed us by signing with them.
Shouldn't Reggie Sanders be playing for another team by now? Doesn't he play for a different team every year? Isn't that supposed to be in his contract?
And some of the Card fans around here can be insufferable to deal with. I ran into one guy at lunch today, and while he's an absolutely great guy, he's a Cardinal fan, which drops him a few notches. He asked me how come the Rangers didn't have a good year while adding "My Redbirds are doing great, aren't they?"
As much as I hate the Yankees, I will even pull for them to beat St. Louis should they play in the World Series. I just don't want to endure a long winter and offseason having these Card fans around here rub it in the whole time.

Scott D
10/6/2005, 07:27 PM
San Diego needs Don Dekinger to be an umpire to have a chance ;)

AllAboutThe'O'
10/6/2005, 07:42 PM
FYI, don't say this too loud ...Dean might hear you

I have the official DVD set of the WS last year. Woudl copies help you soothe that redbird hate?
Nah, all the books that came out after the Red Sox triumph is enough compensation.

AllAboutThe'O'
10/6/2005, 07:55 PM
Another thing:
The Cardinals would be easier to take if I lived in Oklahoma instead of Arkansas. Arkansas people think that the Cardinals are a birthright and the TV and radio people follow suit. There are Cardinal highlights on the TV sportscasts but no Ranger or Royal highlights and the grand poobah of Arkansas sports talk, Chuck Barrett, is an unabashed Cardinal homer and gives score updates on his show.
I know in Tulsa it's a good mix of Cardinal, Ranger and Royal stuff, and that's the way it should be. Probably the same way in OKC. It's just that I live in an area that "believes" you should root for the Cardinals and nobody else and sometimes, especially if you're not a Cardinal fan and especially if you're a Cubs fan, you tend to get tired of it rather quickly.

Scott D
10/7/2005, 12:29 PM
Arkansas love affair with the Cardinals is because of the Dean brothers.

soonerjoker
10/14/2005, 08:16 AM
i used to strongly dislike the cards & harry caray, when i lived in tulsa,
& that's about all you could get.

i hope the cards can make up for their dismal showing in the series,
last year.

also, dizzy was the worst announcer of all time.

Sooner04
10/14/2005, 08:36 AM
San Diego needs Don Dekinger to be an umpire to have a chance ;)
In hindsight, it would've taken a hell of a lot more than that.

C&CDean
10/14/2005, 09:22 AM
In hindsight, it would've taken a hell of a lot more than that.

Wise words, grasshoppah.

C&CDean
10/14/2005, 09:25 AM
I'm so sick of the St. Louis Cardinal lovefest around here, it's nauseating. Most people around here act as if Busch Stadium is 20 miles away, while the truth is Arlington and Kansas City are closer to my town in distance than St. Louis is. I understand there's a lot of Cardinal fans here because of the Gashouse Gang and the Harry Caray on KMOX days, but they act as if every other major league club is beneath them and that the Cardinals are the be-all, end-all of the baseball world.
I'm tired about hearing what a "genius" Tony LaRussa is. If he's so smart, how come he hasn't won more than one World Series title? And how many World Series rings has he won with the Cards? Yeah, he's a good manager, but he's also an arrogant a**. His little stunt with the fungo bat the other night while taking exception to that question about Mark McGwire's return to Busch made my blood boil. And I've hated LaRussa long before he came to St. Louis.
I'm also tired of hearing how St. Louis fans are the best baseball fans in baseball, how they don't boo their own players and respect others. Fine and dandy, but some of those "great" fans are still sending hate mail to Don Denkinger because of what happened in '85. Yeah, it was a bad call but the Cards macked it up in Game 6 and didn't even bother to show up for Game 7.
I despise Larry Walker, because he didn't want to come play for the Rangers in a pennant drive last season but wanted to be just another big fish in the pond by agreeing to a trade to the Cards. Isringhausen also stiffed us by signing with them.
Shouldn't Reggie Sanders be playing for another team by now? Doesn't he play for a different team every year? Isn't that supposed to be in his contract?
And some of the Card fans around here can be insufferable to deal with. I ran into one guy at lunch today, and while he's an absolutely great guy, he's a Cardinal fan, which drops him a few notches. He asked me how come the Rangers didn't have a good year while adding "My Redbirds are doing great, aren't they?"
As much as I hate the Yankees, I will even pull for them to beat St. Louis should they play in the World Series. I just don't want to endure a long winter and offseason having these Card fans around here rub it in the whole time.

Oh. You're a Ranger's fan. That says so much.....

Stanley1
10/14/2005, 10:46 AM

Geez.....somebody is bitter. Don't bash Larry and Reggie, from all reports, they are two of the classiest players in the game.

And Cardinal fans are the best. You ever been to a game? The atmosphere is amazing. Very knowledgable fans as well.

GrapevineSooner
10/14/2005, 12:28 PM
And Cardinal fans are the best. You ever been to a game? The atmosphere is amazing. Very knowledgable fans as well.
Certainly not like Yankee fans :D

*ducking as Thunder, gdc, Ike, Bud, SaltCity and TD prepare to throw things at me*

C&CDean
10/14/2005, 01:06 PM
Next to Wrigley, I enjoy a game at Busch better than any other stadium. And the baseball at Busch is always a LOT better than Wrigley.

Stanley1
10/14/2005, 01:18 PM
Next to Wrigley, I enjoy a game at Busch better than any other stadium. And the baseball at Busch is always a LOT better than Wrigley.

So are the half nekkid ladies.

AllAboutThe'O'
10/15/2005, 02:09 AM
Geez.....somebody is bitter. Don't bash Larry and Reggie, from all reports, they are two of the classiest players in the game.

Actually, I have been to a game at Busch. Wasn't a pleasant experience for me personally because my Reds (NL team) lost to the Cards in a game they shouldn't have. But I digress.
I realize that St. Louis is a very big baseball town and that's good. I also know that the Cardinal fans are knowledgeable. If I lived in the greater St. Louis area, I would have a better understanding. I've got some good people I know that are Cardinal fans, and some of them give me grief about my teams so my natural instinct to lash back takes over.
On that note, any Cardinal fans on this board, I humbly apologize for my rant, it was just out of frustration. You guys have had a great season and you've got a good franchise to root for. Now, I've never been a LaRussa admirer, and it goes back to his days when he was with the A's, so that will never change. I also know that there's a lot of good guys on that team, David Eckstein for one. I thought the Angels were very stupid for letting him go because I would rather have 10 David Ecksteins than the one shortstop the Angels wanted instead. I also know that Walker and Sanders, by and large, are good guys (except Sanders sort of never lived up to the hype when he originally came up with the Reds), and there's other good guys on that team.
I guess it would be the same way if I was living in New England but I wasn't a Red Sox fan and the team you're rooting for didn't have a great season. You just let the frustration get to you. Same way with me here.
But I will say best of luck to the Cardinals the rest of the season and I'll be the first to congratulate the Cardinals if they win the World Series. You have my word on it.