PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan

TopDaugIn2000
10/4/2005, 08:00 AM
starts today. This is a month I really don't like. Mostly for selfish reasons. I know I should embrace it because of who I'm dating, but I don't. It just puts me in a really bad mood and I see it as "torture" rather than "celebration".

The bf got a call over the weekend that his grandmother is really sick and not expected to make it much longer. He got tickets last night to go home, leaves Friday for over 2 weeks. I hope he gets to see her at least, he hasn't seen her since he came here over 6 years ago. In a way, I'm glad he won't be around for most of Ramadan, I just think it will be easier.

Scott D
10/4/2005, 08:12 AM
Why do you hate self purification and cleansing? :D

Okla-homey
10/4/2005, 08:54 AM
My Muslim friends, while being careful to not to eat or drink anything during daylight, always break their fast as soon as the sun goes down -- big time. In fact, I've known guys who put on weight during the month of Ramadan. no kiddin'

BajaOklahoma
10/4/2005, 09:15 AM
It is very difficult for the kids at school.
Some parents give the kids a choice. Others are very strict.
By the end of the school day, it is very easy to see who is fasting.
I am so glad we are on Fall Break this week.

BigRedJed
10/4/2005, 09:36 AM
When I was a kid we used to stay at Ramadan all the time. Now they have kinda fallen off in overall quality, I think. These days I generally stay at some sort of Marriott property. Of course, I do have Marriott Rewards, so that might have something to do with it.

JohnnyMack
10/4/2005, 09:48 AM
When I was a kid we used to stay at Ramadan all the time. Now they have kinda fallen off in overall quality, I think. These days I generally stay at some sort of Marriott property. Of course, I do have Marriott Rewards, so that might have something to do with it.

Boo!!!!!

TopDaugIn2000
10/4/2005, 09:58 AM
Why do you hate self purification and cleansing? :D

cause he clenses himself of ME! which makes me very cranky

and yes, he raids the fridge at all hours of the night, stuffing himself. He's as thin as a rail, but gains weight during this time.

TopDaugIn2000
10/4/2005, 09:58 AM
It is very difficult for the kids at school.
Some parents give the kids a choice. Others are very strict.
By the end of the school day, it is very easy to see who is fasting.
I am so glad we are on Fall Break this week.

I can't imagine being a young child and having to do that during school. To me, it's just cruel.

Okla-homey
10/4/2005, 10:23 AM
I can't imagine being a young child and having to do that during school. To me, it's just cruel.

I think the Koran gives little kids a waiver. Also folks who are traveling.

TopDaugIn2000
10/4/2005, 11:44 AM
he just called to tell me it starts tomorrow, instead of today and that he wants to "see me" tonight :rolleyes:

Mjcpr
10/4/2005, 11:46 AM
It starts today.

He's lying.

crawfish
10/4/2005, 11:47 AM
I think the Koran gives little kids a waiver. Also folks who are traveling.

Kids eat free!

C&CDean
10/4/2005, 11:52 AM
Ramadamadingdong is my favorite Frankie Valli song.

jeremy885
10/4/2005, 12:08 PM
he just called to tell me it starts tomorrow, instead of today and that he wants to "see me" tonight :rolleyes:

Is he Albanian, because that's something one of my frat brothers would try and pull.

TopDaugIn2000
10/4/2005, 12:12 PM
he's Moroccan, and no, he's not lying. He's WAY too serious about this stuff.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/4/2005, 12:17 PM
he just called to tell me it starts tomorrow, instead of today and that he wants to "see me" tonight :rolleyes:So this is the last hurrah til the end of Ramadan for TD2000?

Okla-homey
10/4/2005, 12:28 PM
he's Moroccan, and no, he's not lying. He's WAY too serious about this stuff.

...obviously not too serious about it to follow that whole Koranic thingie against extra-marital...you know, hand holding and kissing girls and stuff.

I love it. Muslims have hypocrits too. :D

Okla-homey
10/4/2005, 12:31 PM

makes sense, Rosh Hashana is tomorrow too: Jewish Year 5766 : sunset October 3, 2005 - nightfall October 5, 2005

Its a moon phase thingie.

BajaOklahoma
10/4/2005, 12:31 PM
It starts the 5th - I checked the school calendar.

But as soon as the sun sets, it is time to eat drink and be merry until the sunrises again. A convenient fasting pattern, in a way, with basically 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off.

Okla-homey
10/4/2005, 12:38 PM
It starts the 5th - I checked the school calendar.

But as soon as the sun sets, it is time to eat drink and be merry until the sunrises again. A convenient fasting pattern, in a way, with basically 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off.

ssssssssssshhh. Don't tell TD2K, Muslims are allowed to get jiggy after dark during Ramadan too.

If not, just think, there'd be a whole month when no Muslim peeps would be born.

BajaOklahoma
10/4/2005, 12:41 PM
Homey - that's what I meant by merry..... ;)

Ike
10/4/2005, 01:05 PM
an ignorant question here, but would all that mean that a Muslim working graveyard shift would have everything easy during ramadan? or do they do something different for them?

Okla-homey
10/4/2005, 01:16 PM
an ignorant question here, but would all that mean that a Muslim working graveyard shift would have everything easy during ramadan? or do they do something different for them?

That hasn't been my experience. Its totally about night and day. Practically speaking, at least in Saudi and Kuwait mind you, very little gets done during Ramadan. During the daytime, people show up at work and just kinda hang-out looking all pathetic and martyr-like. Even more so than usual. Then, at dusk, they head to prayers at the mosque each day of Ramadan, and after that, its game on until pretty late at night.

Then of course, in the morning, they're all tired from the goat or chicken w/rice feasting.

You do make an excellent point. I never really thought about it but they kinda defeat the whole self-denial intent of the thing by simply shifting their daily routine by about twelve hours.

IMHO, the only reason the lights even stay on during Ramadan is because of all the third-country nationals (TCN's) who they bring in do the really important stuff anyway.

TopDaugIn2000
10/4/2005, 02:21 PM
...obviously not too serious about it to follow that whole Koranic thingie against extra-marital...you know, hand holding and kissing girls and stuff.

I love it. Muslims have hypocrits too. :D

He is fine with all of that until Ramadan rolls around, then EVERYTHING is off. Then he won't let me touch him. I don't deal well with that AT ALL. I'm too touchy feely.

And they can "be merry" after dark with their WIVES....which I am not.

C&CDean
10/4/2005, 02:23 PM
I've got a simple solution.

Dump his silly, foreign, heathen *** and find yourself an American man.

You're welcome.

mdklatt
10/4/2005, 02:54 PM

It sounds like he's really splitting hairs. I say, in for a penny in for a pound. :D

Stanley1
10/4/2005, 03:00 PM
I've got a simple solution.

Dump his silly, foreign, heathen *** and find yourself an American man.

You're welcome.

Heh.

Killerbees
10/4/2005, 03:33 PM
He is fine with all of that until Ramadan rolls around, then EVERYTHING is off. Then he won't let me touch him. I don't deal well with that AT ALL. I'm too touchy feely.

I hope you realize what your getting into if you intend on having a long term relationship with him. If he is as pious as you claim you should read Koran and see what his "expectations" are regarding marriage and children.

Mjcpr
10/4/2005, 03:35 PM
I hope you realize what your getting into if you intend on having a long term relationship with him. If he is as pious as you claim you should read Koran and see what his "expectations" are regarding marriage and children.
She mentioned in another thread he's getting two Pumpkin Pious at Thanksgiving and nothing more.

Stanley1
10/4/2005, 03:36 PM
Mmm.....pumpkin.

TopDaugIn2000
10/4/2005, 04:11 PM
we've had long, lengthy discussions on children (which I'm not willing to have) and what is "expected" of me.

I'm not rushing into anything. We've been together for 2.5 years so far.

Scott D
10/4/2005, 04:14 PM
heh my roomie's only request for ramadan was for my girlfriend to not spend the night during that month...so we just got freaky during the day when he was in classes.

C&CDean
10/4/2005, 04:15 PM
We used to send my muslim ex-boss pulled pork sammiches for Ramadan.

Scott D
10/4/2005, 04:23 PM
we got the other muslim kid in the dorm to really love pepperoni pizza.

In Through The Out Door
10/4/2005, 04:25 PM
Sheesh, and I thought marrying a Catholic was tough. Screw all that islamic crap. Damn control freaks. Eat what you want, when you want.

Thank God Jesus didn't put any dietary limitations on worshipping him. Ask forgiveness for your sins, and you're forgiven. Easy.

Praise you, Lord Jesus, and pass the steak sauce while you're at it, bruthah!

TopDaugIn2000
10/4/2005, 04:26 PM
no pork sammiches is one thing, no sausage is another......

(Did I just say that????)

TopDaugIn2000
10/4/2005, 04:27 PM
Sheesh, and I thought marrying a Catholic was tough. Screw all that islamic crap. Damn control freaks. Eat what you want, when you want.

Thank God Jesus didn't put any dietary limitations on worshipping him. Ask forgiveness for your sins, and you're forgiven. Easy.

yeah, I kinda like the way we celebrate. Instead of starving ourselves, we stuff food into other food, then stuff ourselves.

mdklatt
10/4/2005, 04:27 PM
Thank God Jesus didn't put any dietary limitations on worshipping him.

I guess you're not Baptist.

Stanley1
10/4/2005, 04:29 PM
I guess you're not Baptist.

?????

Mjcpr
10/4/2005, 04:30 PM
no pork sammiches is one thing, no sausage is another......
What about cable......can you have cable?

In Through The Out Door
10/4/2005, 04:30 PM
It's all true, I'm not Baptist. But, my parents are, and as of yet I haven't seen any dietary limitations with them either. Catholics, Mormons, Jews, and Muslims...dudes, give the food thing a rest.

C&CDean
10/4/2005, 04:31 PM
?????

poon Stan. Baptists can't eat poon.

Stanley1
10/4/2005, 04:34 PM

I wasn't aware. I'll ask for forgiveness tonight. :(

OklahomaTrombone
10/4/2005, 04:34 PM

heh

mdklatt
10/4/2005, 04:51 PM
?????

Baptists aren't supposed to drink alcohol, right?

C&CDean
10/4/2005, 04:58 PM
I wasn't aware. I'll ask for forgiveness tonight. :(

Dude, you don't have to ask for forgiveness for thinking about doing it. Only for doing it. So, no worries.

dolemitesooner
10/4/2005, 05:03 PM
Yeah! That all mighty amazing, ill, highly contagious
Kamikaze south splash like it shot from a gauge

mdklatt
10/4/2005, 05:14 PM
Yeah! That all mighty amazing, ill, highly contagious
Kamikaze south splash like it shot from a gauge

WTF? :confused:

Hey yermom, you need to reset DOlemITe'S random word generator or people are going to figure out "he" isn't real.

dolemitesooner
10/4/2005, 05:16 PM
WTF? :confused:

Hey yermom, you need to reset DOlemITe'S random word generator or people are going to figure out "he" isn't real.
IT HAS DEEP MEANING MAN ...THE FIRST TO FIRQURE THIS OUT WINS ALL THE MONEY IN MY POCKET

Stanley1
10/4/2005, 05:31 PM
Dude, you don't have to ask for forgiveness for thinking about doing it. Only for doing it. So, no worries.

I have it for dinner at least 3 times a week, and usually once for breakfast and lunch each.

So there. :D

Stanley1
10/4/2005, 05:31 PM
Baptists aren't supposed to drink alcohol, right?

First of all, its silly to compare alcohol to "food".

Second, if you think Baptists are the only ones that don't allow alcohol, you are sadly mistaken.

mdklatt
10/4/2005, 05:47 PM
First of all, its silly to compare alcohol to "food".

What's the rationale for the alcohol prohibition? I guess Baptists don't have Communion? Can't eat pork, can't have alcohol...I don't see a conceptual difference.

Second, if you think Baptists are the only ones that don't allow alcohol, you are sadly mistaken.

I didn't say they were, that's just the first thing to pop into my head. Are there any other mainstream Christian sects that prohibit alcohol consumption?

Sooner_Bob
1/9/2006, 07:19 PM

Heh . . .

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/9/2006, 08:22 PM
What's the rationale for the alcohol prohibition? I guess Baptists don't have Communion? Can't eat pork, can't have alcohol...I don't see a conceptual difference.

I didn't say they were, that's just the first thing to pop into my head. Are there any other mainstream Christian sects that prohibit alcohol consumption?Alcohol leads to dancing. That is why Baptists prohibit it.

OUthunder
1/9/2006, 08:25 PM
It's Ramon Noodle day?

Jimminy Crimson
1/9/2006, 08:25 PM
Alcohol leads to dancing. That is why Baptists prohibit it.

And by dancing, you mean the horizontal mambo. So are baptists not allowed to bump uglies?

...Falls Creek excluded
:texan:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/9/2006, 08:28 PM
And by dancing, you mean the horizontal mambo. So are baptists not allowed to bump uglies?

...Falls Creek excluded
:texan:You can't do it standing up because people might think you were dancing.

TUSooner
1/9/2006, 08:42 PM
My Muslim friends, while being careful to not to eat or drink anything during daylight, always break their fast as soon as the sun goes down -- big time. In fact, I've known guys who put on weight during the month of Ramadan. no kiddin'
Heh, Exactly. I'm glad my wife & in-laws are not devout for that and other reasons.

Sooner_Bob
1/9/2006, 08:44 PM
Alcohol leads to dancing. That is why Baptists prohibit it.

And we all know what drunken dancing leads to.

TUSooner
1/9/2006, 08:57 PM
we've had long, lengthy discussions on children (which I'm not willing to have) and what is "expected" of me.

I'm not rushing into anything. We've been together for 2.5 years so far.
My humble advice: Rush OUT. It won't get better; as you mature, certain differences of religious or spiritual opinion become less and less trivial. Pardon my pontificating, but I kid thee not.