PDA

View Full Version : Running back at Ponca City H.S.

BoomerJack
9/26/2005, 01:24 PM
Can somebody, anybody (Buehler??) share some info on the running back playing at Ponca City; Johnson is his name, I believe? Weight, height, speed, who's recruiting him, etc.

Thanks

Rhino
9/26/2005, 01:31 PM
Josh Johnson (http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=37073)

Sooner_Bob
9/26/2005, 01:47 PM
He ran all over Union last year, but they held him to 95 yards on Friday.

Ponca plays Stillwater on October 20th . . . might have to make an effort to watch this kid play.

stoopified
9/27/2005, 11:20 AM
He is an excellent playerand outstanding kid.In this years Union game PC went 1-15 in the passing game allowing Union to concentrate almost entirely on him.

DCSooner
9/27/2005, 11:32 AM
It's about time someone of that calliber came out of Ponca. Well, since me.

King Crimson
9/27/2005, 01:18 PM
It's about time someone of that calliber came out of Ponca. Well, since me.

hey, i was born in Ponca. and i can spel.

DCSooner
9/27/2005, 01:20 PM
hey, i was born in Ponca. and i can spel.
I went to West. :D

stoopified
10/3/2005, 11:43 PM
Josh Johnson update:22 carries,228 yards,4tds against Edmond Memorial For the season(5 games 1028 yaeds,14tds rushing,1 recieving.I have lived in Ponca since '74 and he is the best PO-HI Wildact I have ever seen. Three weeks he had 315 yards and 4tds against Tahlequah in three quarters,On his last carry of the game he went 85 yards for a td.On that play he became the schools all-time career rushing leader,single game rushing leader and had the longest TD run in school history.This weeks game will be ugly against NW Classen if he plays at all in the second half.That was the mistake Tahlequah made they cut Ponca's 13-0 lead to 13-9 at half.The result,Josh got 209 yards in the third quarter alone.Can't help wondering if that is a Class 6A record for a single quarter.

CoSooner
10/4/2005, 12:49 AM
This is from ESPN insider:

Josh Johnson
RB | (5'11" 195)

Hometown: Ponca City, OK
School: Ponca City High School
Region: Plains Status: Undeclared

You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive recruiting content below.

Last Updated: 9/12/2005 Data provided by Scouts, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scouts Grade: 6.1
Position Rank: RB #91

Considering: 1-Oklahoma , 2-Oklahoma State , 3-Texas Tech , 4-Iowa State , 5-North Carolina
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evaluation: Johnson is a very deceptive back that isn't quite what you are looking for in a power back, but does look the part and will surprise you with his versatility as both an inside and outside runner. He is well-built and has a strong running style. Has good shoulder lean and a strong lower body. Has very good vision and patience as a runner. Will find the cutback lanes and shows good burst through the hole. Does a nice job of breaking tackles and gaining yards after contact. Is shifty and has nimble feet in the hole. Does not have great elusiveness, but will make some defenders miss with subtle moves and ability to make sharp cuts without losing much in transition. Johnson is not flashy, but the more you watch him, the more you like his productivity. He is always moving north/south and falling forward after contact and he has the ability to be a good short yardage runner. Does not get many opportunities in the passing game and needs to come along as a receiver.

jdsooner
10/13/2005, 11:15 PM
Johnson is awesome. He went for over 200 yards last week against NW Classen and did not play in the second half! He made an unbelievable run against Edmond Memorial. He broke outside to the south sideline, cut all the way across the field to the north sideline and then cut back to the middle to score on a 40 yard plus run. It was stunning! He is hard to bring down and can carry tacklers with him.

He is also a good blocker, can catch the ball, and returns kick-offs and punts. Iowa State has offered and he is being recruited by OSU and OU, but has yet to receive an offer. Coach Hannaford said on WBBZ tonight that he recently sent tapes to Kansas and Nebraska. North Texas had scouts in Ponca last week.

I think he could play for OU and I do not understand why OU has yet to offer. It seems to me that he is the best back in the state.

stoopified
10/19/2005, 11:20 PM
Coach Hanniford was interviewed on WBBZ before the Sapulpa game and said he had just got off the phone with Cale Gundy.Says since recruits can only be contacted once a week by each school he gets several calls a week from coaches especially Cale.
On a side noteJohnson was held to 101 yards on 40 carries in PO-HI's 45-42 4ot win.Sapulpa ignored the passing game and played 9 men to stop Josh.On every single play. Sapulpa crashed both DE's around our flanks(every stinking play). Josh did score 4 tds however.I kept screaming for a play-action pass on first down and they handed to Josh every time.I hope that was an attempt to lull Stoolwater into a false sense of security.If not Josh and the 'cats are in trouble!BTW Josh had 196 yards at half against Classen and DID carry twice in the opening drive of the second half before calling it a night.

jdsooner
10/24/2005, 01:19 AM
Josh tied the game with a beautiful 65 yard run against stoolwater. He followed his blockers perfectly and did a beautiful tightrope down the sideline for the last 15 yards. According to my son, Gundy was at the game.

And yes, the Wildcats won 22-20, coming back from a 20-0 halftime defecit.

stoopified
10/30/2005, 05:37 PM
Enid was talking trash about Josh the week before their game at Po-Hi.Said Josh was overrated and so was Ponca.Big mistake,Josh had 20 carries for 136 yards and 2 tds at half.Ponca coasted 31-10 while Josh finished with 32 carries for 236 yards and the 2 scores.For the season he has 1741 yards on 232 carries and 27 tds.If Ponca wins as expected against Edmond North this week,we will be 9-1 for the first time since 1954.Go Cats.

jdsooner
10/31/2005, 01:39 PM
Robert Allen says he was in stoolwater for osu/ut.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/31/2005, 05:44 PM
surely he isn't better than tink or meach?

DCSooner
10/31/2005, 06:15 PM
Enid was talking trash about Josh the week before their game at Po-Hi.Said Josh was overrated and so was Ponca.Big mistake,Josh had 20 carries for 136 yards and 2 tds at half.Ponca coasted 31-10 while Josh finished with 32 carries for 236 yards and the 2 scores.For the season he has 1741 yards on 232 carries and 27 tds.If Ponca wins as expected against Edmond North this week,we will be 9-1 for the first time since 1954.Go Cats.
Wow! Wish the program was that good in my day! GO CATS!

Brasky7
11/1/2005, 01:00 AM

Enid is pretty good about talking trash and then not being able to back it up...

stoopified
11/4/2005, 05:46 PM
surely he isn't better than tink or meach?As good as the two of them combined.BTW Demetrius has spelled his nickname Meech ever since I've known him.Josh has almost 4000 career yards after only carrying the ball 18 times for 67 yards as a so.His 4.55 40 time is reminescent of James Allen and Joe washington. On a side note I played softball in a league with Tink.He was a good little athlete for a 5'7-5'8 175 pound guy.Did a decent job at wr at OU after making switch from QB.

BajaOklahoma
11/5/2005, 08:37 AM
This weeks game will be ugly against NW Classen if he plays at all in the second half.

Sigh. We used to be really good. Back when we had enough kids in the band to form NWC on the field.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/5/2005, 01:06 PM
As good as the two of them combined.BTW Demetrius has spelled his nickname Meech ever since I've known him.Josh has almost 4000 career yards after only carrying the ball 18 times for 67 yards as a so.His 4.55 40 time is reminescent of James Allen and Joe washington. On a side note I played softball in a league with Tink.He was a good little athlete for a 5'7-5'8 175 pound guy.Did a decent job at wr at OU after making switch from QB.

he was playing fullback in 88 (around 205) and i was a 165 lb strong safety. i thought i had free run on a blitz at tink and he came out of no where and just absolutely laid me out. later in the game on a kick return, he turned his head while he was faking a reverse. like a con in the longest yard, i didn't care if he had the ball or not. i absolutely lit him up and got flagged for taunting afterwards.

stoopified
11/9/2005, 02:35 PM
Meech was a great athlete but had a lackluster work ethic.
Tink had a good work ethic and If he had been blessed with size could have been a major player.Josh IMHO has Better talent than Meech and Has the desire to work nand improve that coaches dream of.Cannot wait for the Roughers to get here Friday.

soonerjace
11/14/2005, 08:20 PM
Talked to Josh's dad only offers so far are TU,Iowa St,OSU.

47straight
11/15/2005, 11:49 AM

Gotta go with Tulsa out of those three, if you are thinking long term.

For fun for 4 years - Poke state.

OU_Sooners75
11/15/2005, 04:26 PM
He finished this season over 2000 yards....broke every PO-Hi rushing record.

The kid is big and strong.

Rivals has some inaccurate info on him....especially his forty time.

They have him listed at 4.67 in the 40....ask the coaches and players he played against, he is a lot faster than that.

The kid will make a great CFB RB.

I hope he goes with his childhood dream...and that is playing in Norman!

OU_Sooners75
11/15/2005, 04:27 PM

The only reason he hasnt been offered more yet is because Josh hasnt got an ACT score yet.

stoopified
11/15/2005, 05:03 PM
I had tears in my eyesas I watched Josh finish his PO-Hi career.I don't know if Ponca will EVER see another rb of his caliber.He shattered the school rushing records finishing with 3800+ creer yards(old record 2400).I hope wherever he goes ,he does well.Personally I would like to see him in Sooner Crimson & Cream.

OU_Sooners75
11/15/2005, 07:39 PM
I had tears in my eyesas I watched Josh finish his PO-Hi career.I don't know if Ponca will EVER see another rb of his caliber.He shattered the school rushing records finishing with 3800+ creer yards(old record 2400).I hope wherever he goes ,he does well.Personally I would like to see him in Sooner Crimson & Cream.

I think he will be one.

I talked to the POHI AD, Benson, and he said the reason most schools are looking at him right now, is because he as yet taken the ACT.

Josh, if he has a chance, will go to OU!

soonerjace
11/15/2005, 07:52 PM
I think he will be one.

I talked to the POHI AD, Benson, and he said the reason most schools are looking at him right now, is because he as yet taken the ACT.
Josh, if he has a chance, will go to OU!

It was a fun season to watch~let's hope he gets a chance,I don't see why the Sooners could not pick up Bubba Parker,redshirt him turn him over to Smitty in the weight room and turn him loose,great kid also and has a nose for the ball.

OU_Sooners75
11/15/2005, 08:12 PM
It was a fun season to watch~let's hope he gets a chance,I don't see why the Sooners could not pick up Bubba Parker,redshirt him turn him over to Smitty in the weight room and turn him loose,great kid also and has a nose for the ball.

Bubba Parker wont get much bigger...no matter how much work he does with Smitty.

He would make a great LB at D1!

soonerjace
11/21/2005, 07:28 PM
Bubba Parker wont get much bigger...no matter how much work he does with Smitty.

He would make a great LB at D1!
Love to see it........

william_brasky
12/1/2005, 08:59 PM
It's being said that he committed to Iowa State today.

william_brasky
12/1/2005, 09:00 PM
Verbal commitment that is.

jdsooner
12/2/2005, 03:22 PM
Ponca City News reported that Johnson and Parker made verbal commitments to Iowa State.

UncleLou
12/10/2005, 10:56 PM
I am josh uncle, Josh and bubba, have committed to Iowa State. one reason, they got a chance to stay together and they are going to work with bubba brother in a year or so. Iowa state offered them a great opportunity. the sooners wanted to change Josh to defense, Iowa State wants to build a offense for him.

I was surprise to see my old yellow photo still hanging in the field house, I played football and basketball back in 1977. take care.

Rhino
8/23/2007, 01:44 PM
UPDATE:
Johnson was kicked off ISU's team this offseason for "repeated violations of team rules." He's now at Garden City CC.

SOONER STEAKER
8/23/2007, 10:56 PM
Baja, I remembr those days. My cousin played for them Sillkies. He graduated in 74'. Those were the great days when NW ruled BB wth the Bird brothers.

stoopified
8/24/2007, 09:22 AM
UPDATE:
Johnson was kicked off ISU's team this offseason for "repeated violations of team rules." He's now at Garden City CC.
That is a shame.He has always been a good kid.Sometimes being that far away from home and family can lead good kids to do bad things.

Rhino
8/24/2007, 11:00 AM
Rumor now is he didn't make the Garden City CC roster, because they can only keep 12 non-Kansans on their 53-man roster.

goingoneight
8/24/2007, 05:41 PM
Just goes to show that nice stats in high school don't always mean you can cut it at the next level. Malcom Kelly had weak numbers in HS according to all the people in Longview because he wasn't used very much... look how he's been. You just have to evaluate them, coach them and find a way to utilize them... apparently this kid didn't work out somewhere along those three steps.

snp
8/26/2007, 04:48 PM
Rumor now is he didn't make the Garden City CC roster, because they can only keep 12 non-Kansans on their 53-man roster.

What an awful rule.