PDA

View Full Version : Starting 5

IronHorseSooner
9/23/2005, 11:54 AM
This might have been a topic before,but I would like to see what everybody else thinks. Who will be our starting 5? This is the most likely:

C: Gray
PF: Bookout
SF: Carter
SG: Everett
PG: Walker

This is a versatile line up that will be tough on switches. This will also have taller perimeter players, and stronger interior players. Bring Godbold and Longar off of the bench as defensive stoppers, and Neal and Johnson as shooters. Griffin will be versatile forward, in the mold of a young Eduardo. Bottom line, this will be a very versatile team, which will make them tough on both ends of the court. The only that is of a concern with that starting line-up is consistent perimeter shooting. That's why, even though he won't start, Mike Neal will see a lot of playing time.

NickZeppelin
9/24/2005, 04:10 PM
Right now

Everett, Neal, Carter, Bookout, Gray.

Everett, Carter, Bookout, Gray are locks to start.

King Crimson
9/24/2005, 10:38 PM
hard to know about Walker just yet. i'd agree with NZ that Everett at the point is something we'll see quite a bit.

IronHorseSooner
9/25/2005, 06:49 AM
After thinking about this, I agree that the team needs a "zone buster" like Neal. However, KS has said that the offense works better when Everett is on the wing and be a "second" point guard. Evidence of this is last year versus Duke. In the first half, Everett was on the wing, with Lavender at the point. They were very efficient, to the tune of a double digit lead. In the second helf, Everett was at the point. He had a tendency to want to drive on almost every play from the point, and the offense stagnated, to the tune of losing by double digits... The dilemma is that Neal is a pure 2. He could go small and bring Carter off of the bench. The starting 5 that I proposed will be great against man-to-man style teams (OSU, KU, TT), which the majority of Big XII teams play. It's teams like ISU, or Utah in the tourney, that are of a concern. They will zone the team until they show that they can consistently hit the three. Against zone teams, we will likely see Neal. This is actually a good thing to have these options with these versatile players.

crawfish
9/25/2005, 09:56 AM
I won't be sold on Walker until he proves it - he's just not a high-enough regarded recruit to automatically be assumed starter status (just playing the odds here). That's the exact opposite of Neal, who is as exalted a recruit as Taj Gray was last year.

I agree with NickZepp on the starting lineup. With all the reports about Carter's competitiveness and skills, I'll be shocked if he doesn't start.

NickZeppelin
9/25/2005, 12:16 PM
Neal is a great defender and a great scorer from everything I've read on him. He won't just shoot the 3 although that's probably what he's best at. He'll be a really solid 6th man if Kelvin goes the route of starting Walker.

OUGreg723
9/30/2005, 05:18 PM
Any way you look at it, we are going to be very, very, very good this year.

soonerbub
10/1/2005, 05:31 AM
Everett-1
Neal-2
Godbold-3 (at first)
Bookout-4
Gray-5

I really hope Michael Neal is as good as I think he is. I wish we would run a LOT of post exchange action with Kevin and Taj. Kevin will have the 17 footer all year if we can get him the ball. This is the most offensive talent Kelvin has ever had. Throw in some heart hustle and hardwood and this year could be really special.

NickZeppelin
10/3/2005, 11:49 AM
I think Carter is a lock to start over Godbold. Godbold could start the 2 but we don't have a stronger guard then Nate Carter. He's similar to a Joey Graham type of player.

TheBigRedMachine
10/10/2005, 12:18 PM
Should we try to redshirt Godbold this year and let Griffin get some minutes, or are we just going to redshirt Griffin?

Also, when playing against a zone, Neal has to be in the lineup if he is as good a shooter as everyone says he is.

RedStripe
10/11/2005, 10:30 AM
No one will redshirt this year, at least thats what Kelvin has said. A few years ago we redshirted Jason Detrick(sp?) and it worked out, not so good. Godbold will be our 6th or 7th man and a nice change of pace to the game if he goes in for Neal or in for Carter when he move to the 4. Think of the fast break with TE, Neal, Godbold, Carter and Taj or LL on the floor.

soonerspiff
10/11/2005, 12:42 PM
I don't know about Godbold being that high on our depth charts. If you look at all the positions this year, we're loaded with great players. Kelvin may change his mind and redshirt him.

1 Terrell Everett
2 Mike Neal
3 Nate Carter
4 Kevin Bookout
5 Taj Gray

Bench Guards:
Chris Walker - plays the 1, maybe switchoff 1+2 if in with TE
Austin Johnson - could play 1, 2 or even 3 in a small lineup
David Godbold - 2 or 3

Bench Forwards:
Longar Longar - 4 or 5
Taylor Griffin - 3 or 4

Unless some guys get injured you have to think one of the young guards (AJ or Godbold) will get redshirted. Otherwise they won't get enough minutes to warrant burning a whole year.

soonerbub
10/12/2005, 05:52 AM
The only one I could possibly see redshirting is Griffin--but he's too athletic and we will need him. Given our recent history with personnel and turnover(s):eek: I don't think anybody will be redshirting unless it is a young walk-on.