PDA

View Full Version : If the NBA DOES Stay In OKC....

SoonerFan80
9/21/2005, 10:34 PM
...then we need a name change for the team. "Oklahoma City Hornets" just doesn't do it for me. However, stipulations include NO number-names(49ers, 89ers, etc.) and no oil references (drillers, oilers, etc.).

King Crimson
9/21/2005, 10:41 PM
personally, i doubt it will happen. but i'd rather just stick with Hornets than whatever contrived goofball **** the PR/AD people would come up with.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/21/2005, 10:55 PM
The mid-level managers

Rhino
9/21/2005, 11:21 PM
OOO! OOO! WRANGLERS!!

Rhino
9/21/2005, 11:23 PM
HOW ABOUT THE CALVARY?!?!?!??

Paperclip
OOO! OOO! WRANGLERS!!

Sweet! I already have the hat.

Rhino
OR THE YARDDAWGS!!!!!!!111

Paperclip
9/21/2005, 11:24 PM
HOW ABOUT THE CALVARY?!?!?!??

Why would we want the place of Jesus' crucifixion as a mascot?

Rhino
9/21/2005, 11:24 PM
HOW ABOUT THE LADY WILDCATS?!?!?!???!11

Rhino
9/21/2005, 11:25 PM
Why would we want the place of Jesus' crucifixion as a mascot? OK! HOW ABOUT THE CAVALRY!?!?!??!!32

Paperclip
9/21/2005, 11:26 PM
OK! HOW ABOUT THE CAVALRY!?!?!??!!32

Ok, but only if Chris Needham does the radio.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/21/2005, 11:27 PM
It probably might have been something native american had this whole NCAA thing not started.

Big Red Ron
9/21/2005, 11:28 PM
Oklahoma City Metro's?

Rhino
9/21/2005, 11:28 PM
THIS IS THE BEST FOOTBALL THREAD OF ALL-TIME!

nanimonai
9/21/2005, 11:30 PM
How about the Oklahoma City We Really Prefer Football But OU Sucks This Year So We're Watching The Hornets 's

Big Red Ron
9/21/2005, 11:34 PM
Guys, getting and keeping an NBA team changes everthing for Okahoma. You know Dallas aint real happy about this deal. You know how much money Oklaoman's spend on Dallas pro sprots? This is going to put a dent in their tickets and reatail revenue. I love it!

Season tickets for $999.00.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/21/2005, 11:41 PM
But OU Sucks This Year

Boo you

nanimonai
9/21/2005, 11:43 PM
Boo you

I'm just kidding of course.

Frozen Sooner
9/22/2005, 12:48 AM
It probably might have been something native american had this whole NCAA thing not started.

I think the Hornets need to worry about making the NBA playoffs before worrying about being excluded from NCAA postseason play.

I'm going to go with the "OKC One-more-excuse-to-not-attend-OU-basketball-games
-and-not-support-a-fine-team-because-I-don't-understand-
defensive-basketballs-and-all-I-like-are-dunks-and-I-wish-
Billy-Tubbs-was-still-heres"

It's going to be hard to fit on a jersey, admittedly.

Unless they sign Maurice Taylor.

Readyfor8
9/22/2005, 02:54 AM
Hey, whats wrong with the 49ers? NINERS RULE!!!!

But, how about the Oklahoma Tax Collectors? Or the Oklahoma Toll Booth Operators? Or how about anything to point out that this is what republican leadership does to a state economy...

Oh wait, im getting politcal in a Basketball thread on a Football board... man talk about getting off topic...

The Oklahoma Cattlemen, or Oklahoma Shooters is fine by me...

OKC Sooner
9/22/2005, 03:03 AM
How about honoring Woody Guthrie and calling them the Oklahoma Hills? My father-in-law would hate that... he calls Guthrie "that womanizing communist". Of course, my FIL is just slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun... lol.

soonerbub
9/22/2005, 05:12 AM
Oklahoma Outlaws baby!!

Soonrboy
9/22/2005, 07:39 AM
How about the Republicans??

OMG...I just shat myself.

Chuck Bao
9/22/2005, 08:15 AM
Hillbillies!!!!

Theme from Deliverance as the team is introduced.

Da-da-da-da-da-da

On second thought, maybe the Hornets are pretty cool.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/22/2005, 08:19 AM
How about the Okies? They could play in oklahoma city, in oklahoma county, right next to the new oklahoma river.

XingTheRubicon
9/22/2005, 08:50 AM
Oklahomans will spend $70 or more to:

Attend an OU football game
Fly to a different state
Happy ending
Attend another OU football game

No pro sport would ever survive here.

OU Adonis
9/22/2005, 09:10 AM

Fly to a different state
Happy ending

I disagree. 10 years ago, maybe not. But times are changing. And the fact that they have already sold(or had deposits) on 2000 season tickets the first day they became available makes me think that we can support an NBA team if the ticket prices are right.

finster
9/22/2005, 09:23 AM
As long as it has something to do with oil derricks or cows.I'm fine with it.

GDC
9/22/2005, 09:25 AM

Fly to a different state
Happy ending

I need to find out where to get a $70 happy ending.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/22/2005, 09:33 AM
I like the outlaws, but PLEASE do not name them the cowboys. Our neighbors in Stoolwater would throw a hissy fit.

Harry Beanbag
9/22/2005, 09:58 AM
As long as it has something to do with oil derricks or cows.I'm fine with it.

Longhorns?

the_ouskull
9/22/2005, 10:48 AM
How's about the Oklahoma City Oklahoma Citiers? It's catchy.

the_ouskull

mdklatt
9/22/2005, 11:05 AM
Or how about anything to point out that this is what republican leadership does to a state economy...

This state has Republican leadership? Since when?

Jimminy Crimson
9/22/2005, 11:37 AM
We could bring life to Brad Lund's vision and call them the Oklahoma City Bullfrogs! ;)

Folks, as long as George Shinn owns this team, they're going to be the Hornets.

soonermarkus
9/22/2005, 11:43 AM
Oklahoma City Tornadoes....Or would that be too weird seeing the reason they are here? The Oklahoma City How the hell did this happens??

C&CDean
9/22/2005, 11:46 AM
pffffft. You people have no creativity whatsoever. The OKC Bricks.

"Come see the Bricks shoot some Bricks down at the Brick."

Golden. Absolutely golden.

TopDawg
9/22/2005, 11:55 AM
2 years ago "Gaylord Family" would've already made it into this thread.

Pricetag
9/22/2005, 12:03 PM
I disagree. 10 years ago, maybe not. But times are changing. And the fact that they have already sold(or had deposits) on 2000 season tickets the first day they became available makes me think that we can support an NBA team if the ticket prices are right.
There's the rub, right there. Some amazing deals are being cut for tickets for this season to get butts in the stands. I don't believe they are truly viable NBA ticket prices.

C&CDean
9/22/2005, 12:05 PM
There's the rub, right there. Some amazing deals are being cut for tickets for this season to get butts in the stands. I don't believe they are truly viable NBA ticket prices.

Joe Fan doesn't pay for the NBA salaries, etc. Joe Corporate does. Television, advertising, and the people who buy suites for entertaining pay their way. Them, and the idiots who spend $75 for a Kobe jersey.

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 12:06 PM
But, how about the Oklahoma Tax Collectors? Or the Oklahoma Toll Booth Operators? Or how about anything to point out that this is what republican leadership does to a state economy...

Oh wait, im getting politcal in a Basketball thread on a Football board... man talk about getting off topic...

The Oklahoma Cattlemen, or Oklahoma Shooters is fine by me... First, read an Oklahoma history book and you'll realize that it is the Democrats that have brought us all those wonderful things, as they have run this State since statehood. Republican's have controlled the legislature for a grand total of two years since statehood, last year and one year in the 50's.

On the name, if we change it, my only request is that we don't pick a name that is even kinda hillbllyish. Like the two you just mentioned. The Metropolilitans (Metros) makes since since we are going to be OKC's, Edmond's, Moore's, Norman's, etc...

Pricetag
9/22/2005, 12:08 PM
Joe Fan doesn't pay for the NBA salaries, etc. Joe Corporate does. Television, advertising, and the people who buy suites for entertaining pay their way. Them, and the idiots who spend $75 for a Kobe jersey.
I agree. But ticket prices are sky high in the other NBA cities, no? Those owners are out to make money, no matter where it comes from. Why would they remain in OKC if they can't bring in the kind of gate cash they could in another city?

soonervegas
9/22/2005, 12:11 PM
It never got any better than Outlaws.

badger
9/22/2005, 12:12 PM
The OKC... Boomers?

This excites me. MAYBE I'll become a semi-Hornets fan, but it's even better that I'll get to see the team I already support at least once this year :D

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 12:16 PM
The 2000 number isn't for individual tickets sold. There are several orders in that number that individually represent 50, 75, 100, even 200 season tickets. I have someone close to the situation that says the contract has a rollover for next year and that it is extremely likely that we will be keeping this team and N.O. will get another team down the road a few years.

The reason why ownership is intersted in a permenant move here is the sweat deal that has been offered by the paid for Ford Center. The Corporate sponsers are linning up like crazy.

I'm convinced that this will be our team.

GDC
9/22/2005, 12:25 PM
I'm convinced that this will be our team.

Dream on.

SoonerStormchaser
9/22/2005, 12:28 PM
If they donate enough...we might have the Oklahoma City Gaylords on our hands...

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 12:33 PM
Dream on.Hide and watch my friend, hide and watch. The owner made this team work in Charlotte. The Ford center's lease and quality alone will prevent them from moving back to NO for a few years. They were paying a huge lease payment in NO...

The Maestro
9/22/2005, 12:42 PM
Oklahoma City Toby Keith's

fesperman58
9/22/2005, 12:49 PM
Oklahoma City Toby Keith's
:D

Holy crap that was funny!!!

OU Adonis
9/22/2005, 12:51 PM
I can see it now. The Oklahoma City Gaylord Metro's

TopDawg
9/22/2005, 12:55 PM
Harkening back to OKC's history, they could be the Oklahoma City State Seal Stealers.

Bob Barry Sr. could do the play by play. Imagine his call on a turnover.

Paperclip
9/22/2005, 01:08 PM
Hopefully they'll have more taste than one team name I heard recently. I think it was for some baseball team. The Oklahoma City Bombers. I realize it was probably a reference to the Air Force base, but still, it sounded bad.

GDC
9/22/2005, 01:08 PM
Hide and watch my friend, hide and watch. The owner made this team work in Charlotte. The Ford center's lease and quality alone will prevent them from moving back to NO for a few years. They were paying a huge lease payment in NO...

Bottom line is the NBA is unwatchable, and with a few exceptions, fans realize this eventually.

Harry Beanbag
9/22/2005, 01:10 PM
Bottom line is the NBA is unwatchable, and with a few exceptions, fans realize this eventually.

Yep.

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 02:06 PM
Bottom line is the NBA is unwatchable, and with a few exceptions, fans realize this eventually.I guess everyone has their own opinion. I already bought season tickets and plan to be at as many games as possible. I'd rather have NFL but that isn't happening. Of the rest of the other Pro sports options, I'd rather have the NBA than; NHL, MLB, car racing, Arena Football, etc...

93sooneralum
9/22/2005, 02:10 PM
I would go to NHL games but the NBA just sucks IMO. Freaking bunch of punk thug millionares showboating isn't basketball as I like to watch it...

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 02:16 PM
I would go to NHL games but the NBA just sucks IMO. Freaking bunch of punk thug millionares showboating isn't basketball as I like to watch it...You realize that NHL roster's payroll are closer to the size of an NFL team than an NBA team. That's why NBA tickets are cheaper. An NBA team only has 12 or so players on payroll as opposed to 30 or more.

I always thought NHL was as entertaining as a soccer game but hey that's just me.

93sooneralum
9/22/2005, 02:23 PM
Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't call myself a hockey fan - but I would rather watch someone crochet a sweater than sit through an NBA game. I'm probably in the minority here, but that's the facts. Can't tell you how many times I've turned down free Nuggets tickets...

GDC
9/22/2005, 02:42 PM
I'd rather have NFL but that isn't happening. Of the rest of the other Pro sports options, I'd rather have the NBA than; NHL, MLB, car racing, Arena Football, etc...

I have zero interest in professional sports, aside from the Yankees, and former Sooners in the NFL.

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 02:50 PM
Good for you.

GDC
9/22/2005, 02:55 PM
Good for you.

Enjoy supporting your overpaid gangsta dope smoking street ball playing thugs with 15 illegitimate kids each, who unfortunately are some of our kid's biggest role models. That is effed up, and you're supporting it.

Not to mention my tax dollars are on the line if the team underperforms financially, but only OKC stands to benefit if they do well. That is also effed up.

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 02:57 PM
Thanks, I will. I'll still support my Sooners and help Oklahoma shed it's small town mentality, while you live in your perfect little cacoon.

Jimminy Crimson
9/22/2005, 03:03 PM
...and this, my friends, is why Kelvin's boys play to a half-empty arena.

There are other sports besides football.

93sooneralum
9/22/2005, 03:14 PM
There are lots of other sports other than football - but that doesn't make me necessarily inclined to go pay and watch them. Pro sports in general aren't my cup of tea - that doesn't make me "small town minded" - just my preference. Watching Bomar bounce up off the grass after being creamed for the love of the game is why I watch. That's lost when the game becomes a job, IMO...

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 03:18 PM
How long until Najera trade talk starts? Is Ryan Humphreys still foating around the leauge?

Hell, if I can drive 10 minutes and watch an NBA game for less than an OU game, I'm going.

I just don't understand why anyone would rather remain a minor leauge town than give this a shot. Hell, I was even willing to watch hockey when the NHL was a possibility.

Jimminy Crimson
9/22/2005, 03:21 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what icing is. ;)

But I would have bought season tickets if Clayton Bennett's NHL bid went through last time around.

scotplum
9/22/2005, 03:23 PM
How long until Najera trade talk starts? Is Ryan Humphreys still foating around the leauge?

Hell, if I can drive 10 minutes and watch an NBA game for less than an OU game, I'm going.

I just don't understand why anyone would rather remain a minor leauge town than give this a shot. Hell, I was even willing to watch hockey when the NHL was a possibility.

Nobody would. I suppose unless you flat out hate pro sports or the NBA. I imagine most that detest the NBA have never been to a game. I make it down to Dallas a couple times a year to see the Mavs and I'm extremely excited at the chance to see the Hornets this year. I put down my deposit yesterday.

Jimminy Crimson
9/22/2005, 03:23 PM
Them, and the idiots who spend $75 for a Kobe jersey.

I'll probably get an Oklahoma City edition JR Smith jersey, and I'm one of the last people you would associate with wearing jerseys.

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 03:26 PM
An OKC Hornets hat would be nice...btw put my deposit down today!

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 03:28 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what icing is. ;)

But I would have bought season tickets if Clayton Bennett's NHL bid went through last time around.Me too, only because it was going to be OUR team. I have no idea what Icing is either but I probably would have learned. :D

Pricetag
9/22/2005, 03:34 PM
Me too, only because it was going to be OUR team. I have no idea what Icing is either but I probably would have learned. :D
It's when an offensive player strikes the puck from behind the blue line closest to the goal he's trying to score on, and it goes past the baseline, where it is retrieved by a member of the defensive team besides the goalie.

It's called pretty inconsistently, though. I know they never call it when a team is trying to kill a power play, but there are other times that it is not called when no one is on a power play, it seems.

C&CDean
9/22/2005, 03:35 PM
I've been to several NBA games.

I love hoops.

I won't spend one dime to support what the NBA has become. A league of over-payed semi-retarded, low-IQd nimrods who think the most important thing in life is bling, trash talk, and a hot chick in every town to hang on your arm. And really ****ty prison tattoos.

You guys enjoy the games without me. And why don't you move to the big city there BRR? Seems like you'd sell your first-born just to have a "pro" team in town. Cause OKC will never be a "major league" town, and that makes me very happy. I'd rather remain a podunk little out of the way place where people still speak English, wave to one another at the stop sign, and work together to help those in need.

OUstud
9/22/2005, 03:43 PM
I think the biggest concern is if our community will cheer for the Hornets as their own, or if we'll do like we did at our exhibition games and just cheer good plays, regardless. Let's root for the Hornets, make them feel like they want to stay here and play in front of real fans, not a league-low 14k a night.

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 03:44 PM
I've been to several NBA games.

I love hoops.

I won't spend one dime to support what the NBA has become. A league of over-payed semi-retarded, low-IQd nimrods who think the most important thing in life is bling, trash talk, and a hot chick in every town to hang on your arm. And really ****ty prison tattoos.

You guys enjoy the games without me. And why don't you move to the big city there BRR? Seems like you'd sell your first-born just to have a "pro" team in town. Cause OKC will never be a "major league" town, and that makes me very happy. I'd rather remain a podunk little out of the way place where people still speak English, wave to one another at the stop sign, and work together to help those in need.MLB is even worse. Burry your head in BFE but you as a Mod shouldn't be attacking me for living in and being excited about what's going on in "The Big City."

Pricetag
9/22/2005, 03:51 PM
I think the biggest concern is if our community will cheer for the Hornets as their own, or if we'll do like we did at our exhibition games and just cheer good plays, regardless. Let's root for the Hornets, make them feel like they want to stay here and play in front of real fans, not a league-low 14k a night.
Good point. There are going to be a lot of people going to see certain other teams and players. They have to remember to root for the home team.

Harry Beanbag
9/22/2005, 04:04 PM
An OKC Hornets hat would be nice...btw put my deposit down today!

They're not going to be the New Orleans Hornets this year?

opksooner
9/22/2005, 04:05 PM
Enjoy the Hornets while you have them. Here's where they'll be playing in 2007 (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/12416876.htm).

Book it.

C&CDean
9/22/2005, 04:11 PM
MLB is even worse. Burry your head in BFE but you as a Mod shouldn't be attacking me for living in and being excited about what's going on in "The Big City."

Dude, relax. Nobody "attacked" you. Geez.

I'm glad you want OKC to turn into another Dallas or Houston. Some people like traffic, crime, and all the other **** that comes with the big city. Some don't. That's why I live 35 miles SE of Norman.

And MLB is a major improvement over the NBA. At least most baseball players can speak whatever their native tongue is fluently. And can spell their own name.

opksooner
9/22/2005, 04:13 PM
...A league of over-payed semi-retarded, low-IQd nimrods who think the most important thing in life is bling, trash talk, and a hot chick in every town to hang on your arm. And really ****ty prison tattoos.

Wait!! You mean that's not what it's all about?

I'm shocked.....shocked, I say!!

NormanPride
9/22/2005, 04:17 PM
I don't like most teams. But I like the Spurs. All the players are really nice (I've met a few of them over the years) and they're all really involved in the community.

It's really telling when the old players come to San Antonio to win on a team, rather than just build their stats.

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 04:32 PM
Enjoy the Hornets while you have them. Here's where they'll be playing in 2007 (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/12416876.htm).

Book it.
Public Information & Marketing (http://www.okc.gov/pim/index.html)

2001 News Items (http://www.okc.gov/news/2001_index.html)

2002 News Items (http://www.okc.gov/news/2002_index.html)

2003 News Items (http://www.okc.gov/news/2003_index.html)

2004 News Items (http://www.okc.gov/news/2004_index.html) 2005 News Items (http://www.okc.gov/news/2005_index.html)

http://www.okc.gov/news/images/newsfromokcgov_01.jpghttp://www.okc.gov/news/images/newsfromokcgov_02.jpghttp://www.okc.gov/news/images/newsfromokcgov_03.gifOverview of Hornets agreement

(September 21, 2005) – The City worked out a comprehensive agreement to bring the Hornets to Oklahoma City to play in the Ford Center (http://www.okc.gov/MAPS/ford_center/index.html) for the 2005-06 NBA season.

“An NBA agreement usually takes six months to negotiate. We did it in three weeks,” City Manager Jim Couch said.

The Hornets will play 35 home games in Oklahoma City.

The City’s investment in this temporary relocation includes:

a one-year term with an option for a one-year extension, meaning the Hornets can choose to stay another year if the team desires.
a relocation allowance that includes temporary housing for up to 100 employees.
office space within walking distance of the Ford Center.
improvements to the Ford Center including a new basketball floor. Since the Center was designed to be ‘NBA ready’, the improvements needed will be minor. A new floor was already planned for the Big 12 Tournament (http://www.okc.gov/news/2004_06/big_12_announcement.html) coming in 2007, so that purchase will simply be moved forward.
a guaranteed revenue of between $30 million and $40 million. If revenue falls short of the $40 million mark, the City, State and a group of private investors will each contribute cash to make up the shortfall. The City’s maximum potential share of this payment is $3.3 million.
When revenue passes the $40 million mark, the Hornets will begin reimbursing the City for its costs, such as the office space and arena improvements. The City will get 80% of the profits until all its costs are reimbursed. When revenue passes the $42.5 million mark, the team will share 50% of its profit with the City. The City will divide that 50% with its partners, the State and the private investment group.

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 04:34 PM
If this relationship stays as it is...KC wil not get this franchise. Perhaps another but not with this one. The political and business leaders of OKC have made too sweet of a deal.

opksooner
9/22/2005, 04:44 PM
Those are nice enticements but in the final analysis OKC will have to support them....very well. Absent the emergency situation created by Katrina, OKC would not be in the mix.

birddog
9/22/2005, 04:50 PM
The Calf Ropers

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/22/2005, 04:59 PM
Oklahoma City Beyonces!!!

http://www.moviereporter.net/newsimages/newsGross_368.jpg

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 05:04 PM
Those are nice enticements but in the final analysis OKC will have to support them....very well. Absent the emergency situation created by Katrina, OKC would not be in the mix.I agree that the situation is the cause but timing is everything and the business community has really gotten behind this thing. Had KC had their new arena NOW they probably would have gotten this team. There is a 99% chance that the Hornets will take the 2006-07 rollover and the team will be ours, if we want it. We control our destiny on this deal.

Soonerus
9/22/2005, 06:59 PM
Oklahoma Boomers...

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 07:05 PM
The Oklahoma City Metros. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

soonerdj
9/22/2005, 07:07 PM
Hey, whats wrong with the 49ers? NINERS RULE!!!!

The Oklahoma Cattlemen, or Oklahoma Shooters is fine by me...

Apparently you have your political parties a bit confused, but that's neither here nor there... :mack:

(disclaimer) This post has been approved by Bob Stoops in order to make it football related

Sooner24
9/22/2005, 07:21 PM
I say let the Gaylords buy the naming right and they could be the OKC Fockers. :D

Sooner24
9/22/2005, 07:31 PM
The most important thing in life is bling, trash talk, and a hot chick in every town to hang on your arm. And really ****ty prison tattoos.

That's why Dean is my hero. :D

badger
9/22/2005, 07:38 PM
I don't like most teams. But I like the Spurs.

I like the Bucks. Don't you think the Bucks are a good team. NormanPride?

Frozen Sooner
9/22/2005, 08:30 PM
It's when an offensive player strikes the puck from behind the blue line closest to the goal he's trying to score on, and it goes past the baseline, where it is retrieved by a member of the defensive team besides the goalie.

It's called pretty inconsistently, though. I know they never call it when a team is trying to kill a power play, but there are other times that it is not called when no one is on a power play, it seems.

Icing is not called on the penalty-kill because it's legal when on the penalty kill.

Icing is also not called when the referee makes the determination that the team in the defensive zone should have or could have made a reasonable play on the puck before it crossed the red line.

You're also a bit confused about which line you have to be behind for it to be icing.

Icing is the action of sending the puck from your defensive zone across the offensive redline. The situation you described would make dump&chase hockey illegal. Which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Reno
9/22/2005, 09:29 PM
gringos!

Crimson Kid
9/22/2005, 10:04 PM
The sooners. :)

Pricetag
9/23/2005, 11:25 AM
Icing is not called on the penalty-kill because it's legal when on the penalty kill.

Icing is also not called when the referee makes the determination that the team in the defensive zone should have or could have made a reasonable play on the puck before it crossed the red line.

You're also a bit confused about which line you have to be behind for it to be icing.

Icing is the action of sending the puck from your defensive zone across the offensive redline. The situation you described would make dump&chase hockey illegal. Which wouldn't be a bad thing.
Oops. In Ice Hockey for the NES, icing worked the way I described it.

Scott D
9/23/2005, 11:40 AM

Icing can now not be called on an errant passing attempt that is within a 'reasonable' distance..basically a judgement call.

soonervegas
9/23/2005, 08:55 PM
Big Red Ron is correct on this.....this franchise is not leaving OKC unless the fans DO NOT support it. Early indications is that it is going to have enormous support.

Big Red Ron
9/23/2005, 09:06 PM
Big Red Ron is correct on this.....this franchise is not leaving OKC unless the fans DO NOT support it. Early indications is that it is going to have enormous support.We are up to 7000 deposits for season tickets. Like I said before some of those deposits are for 100 & 200 individual season tickets at a time.

I'm sorry that my enthusiasm for this deal would bother anyone. I LOVE Oklahoma and just want to be recognized as a "Major" city. Like I said I would have supported NHL or even Arena Football (not af2).

This is our shot at the bigtime, I just hope we don't blow it.

GDC
9/23/2005, 09:22 PM
Coming soon to an arena and courtroom near you! :rolleyes: (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-09/24/content_3535123.htm)

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Sports/MICO10309231603.jpeg

Big Red Ron
9/23/2005, 09:59 PM
Coming soon to an arena and courtroom near you! :rolleyes: (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-09/24/content_3535123.htm)

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Sports/MICO10309231603.jpegLiving in Tailhoot, OK seems to have left you a bitter man. :rolleyes: Last time I checked those guys played for Indiana.

GDC
9/23/2005, 10:04 PM
Living in Tailhoot, OK seems to have left you a bitter man. :rolleyes:

No, $10 million of my state's tax dollars being at risk to support this venture makes me bitter.

Big Red Ron
9/23/2005, 10:20 PM
No, $10 million of my state's tax dollars being at risk to support this venture makes me bitter.That's a risk that I'm willing to make. We may actually (like most cities with pro teams) MAKE money. "No guts, No glory." You cannot make money without risk, unless you are ok with average. I'm not.

There are many indirect benifits to owning a professional franchise. This will help our economy. You think DEll is happy that they moved here now? Sure they were before but now they have major stroke with an NBA team that does business in all the major cities in the nation.

A good frien of mine once told me, Son, fear is never your friend, don't ever settle.

Don't come and support OKC's team but try not to destroy something with negativity before it has even had a chance.

You are an Oklahoman, be proud.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2005, 12:03 AM
No, $10 million of my state's tax dollars being at risk to support this venture makes me bitter.
We'd probably be coughing up that much in federal aid to help them rebuild their New Orleans arena anyway...

nanimonai
9/24/2005, 12:44 AM
Actually I think that the streetball-thug era of the NBA is coming to an end. The past three year's NBA champs have been team-oriented. Add that to Team USA stinking it up in the Olynpics and the influx of European players and the NBA's in for a change. Owners and coaches are taking notice.

If we can only get ESPN to quit their top ten dunks of the night, we'll be looking good in that department.

GDC
9/24/2005, 04:11 AM
Actually I think that the streetball-thug era of the NBA is coming to an end. The past three year's NBA champs have been team-oriented. Add that to Team USA stinking it up in the Olynpics and the influx of European players and the NBA's in for a change. Owners and coaches are taking notice.

If we can only get ESPN to quit their top ten dunks of the night, we'll be looking good in that department.

I have to admit the Spurs are an exception, because their ownership goes out of its way to hire good citizens and role models, and they play team-oriented defensive basketball.

Big Red Ron
9/24/2005, 11:04 AM
I have to admit the Spurs are an exception, because their ownership goes out of its way to hire good citizens and role models, and they play team-oriented defensive basketball.Add the Maverics, Rockets, Kings, Suns, Memphis, and OKC to that list too. There are other teams with the same philosophy.

Rusher
9/24/2005, 02:51 PM
We are up to 7000 deposits for season tickets. Like I said before some of those deposits are for 100 & 200 individual season tickets at a time.

I'm sorry that my enthusiasm for this deal would bother anyone. I LOVE Oklahoma and just want to be recognized as a "Major" city. Like I said I would have supported NHL or even Arena Football (not af2).

This is our shot at the bigtime, I just hope we don't blow it.

I agree. This is a rare opportunity to show people that there's a lot more to offer in Oklahoma than just rednecks, southern baptist church and tornadoes.

More business in, more $$$$$, more graduates interested to stay (instead of finding jobs in Dallas). It's all good :)

And now I can tone down my daily complains that "there's nothing to do in Oklahoma."

I'm excited about this whole deal, I'm gonna get the season ticket.

Rusher
9/24/2005, 02:58 PM
Piston might have some badboys but they're pretty team-oriented. They didn't become national champ for no reason last year.

And they put up a pretty good fight against Spurs in the finals. If Rasheed W. managed to distract Horry from putting up that decisive 3 point at Game 5, Piston would have won the championship 4-2.

SoonerObsession
9/24/2005, 03:15 PM
The Oklahoma Law Dogs

The Oklahoma Storm

The Oklahoma Survivors

The Oklahoma Dusters

The Oklahoma Tribe

Big Red Ron
9/24/2005, 03:17 PM
WTF..."Law Dogs" Oh, I see you were joking...

evergreen1310
9/24/2005, 03:31 PM
I think this could be the best thing to happen to OK in a long time. The best part is the location of the ford center. At least you'll be able to go to a restaurant or a bar before or after the game. It should really boost the economy in downtown. I wish we had that here in dallas. there's nowhere to go to after a cowboys, rangers, or mavericks game, besides your car.

Big Red Ron
9/24/2005, 03:54 PM
I think this could be the best thing to happen to OK in a long time. The best part is the location of the ford center. At least you'll be able to go to a restaurant or a bar before or after the game. It should really boost the economy in downtown. I wish we had that here in dallas. there's nowhere to go to after a cowboys, rangers, or mavericks game, besides your car.Not only that but wait to see the Bricktown sceen when the NBA players start throwing money around down there. Damn, I wish I hadn't have just moved out of Deep Deuce.

Rusher
9/24/2005, 04:28 PM
It definitely boosts the scene whenever the games are held between Monday to Wednesday nights. So far, most of Bricktown's income come from weekend activities.

Hm... the possibilities on seeing these playas in CityWalk / Rane?

HoustonStephen
9/25/2005, 02:00 PM
I heard that because they play in Bricktown, they will be named the Bricklayers should they stay in Oklahoma. Not a grand name IMHO, but not too bad.

GottaHavePride
9/25/2005, 02:03 PM
Bricklayers? that'd be WAY too easy...

yermom
9/25/2005, 02:12 PM
with a name like that, they better not suck, or it could get ugly

ultimatesooner1
9/25/2005, 02:16 PM
The Oklahoma City Cockfighters

or

The Oklahoma City Fugitive Tatoo Artists

Jimminy Crimson
9/25/2005, 02:31 PM
I think the Oklahoma City Hornets sound pretty nice. What does everyone else think?11!!!??1! ;)

GDC
9/25/2005, 11:22 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/images/2005/050925_Sp_B3_Coach_b3arvydas25.jpg

Sooner47
9/25/2005, 11:55 PM
The answer to this is obvious...........the F**king Hillbillies. :D

TheLadiesMike
9/26/2005, 12:02 AM
Strange hate for the NBA. There are "thug" players in every sport these days, baseball is corrupted by steroids, football has guys like TO, is hockey still on strike since both sides want more money?

Sure some players fought with some fans, but the fans provoked it. And remember that football player (was he from Nebraska?) that laid out a fan that rushed the field a few years back? Didn't some major league player (Oakland?) hit some lady in the stands this season? And that pitcher that attacked a cameraman?

I hate to break it to those that think the NBA is the only sport tainted by scandalous incidents but you'll find bad people in every corner of society. Sadly, that's caused some to close their eyes to the good you can find in every corner of society, even among NBA players.

TheLadiesMike
9/26/2005, 12:13 AM

:confused:

Oklahoma House has been Republican for 2 years in the 20s and the past 10 months. There were times when the state house was like 90 Democrats and 11 Republicans. The Oklahoma Senate has never been controlled by Republicans.

Only 3 of Oklahoma's 24 governors have been Republican. Some state offices have never been held by a Republican.

For most of Oklahoma's history it has been a one party state. In 1932 we had 9 Congressional districts; today we have 5. Republican leadership did not produce that. I'd also have trouble saying Democratic "leadership" produced that.

GDC
9/26/2005, 07:34 AM
Strange hate for the NBA. There are "thug" players in every sport these days, baseball is corrupted by steroids, football has guys like TO, is hockey still on strike since both sides want more money?

Sure some players fought with some fans, but the fans provoked it. And remember that football player (was he from Nebraska?) that laid out a fan that rushed the field a few years back? Didn't some major league player (Oakland?) hit some lady in the stands this season? And that pitcher that attacked a cameraman?

I hate to break it to those that think the NBA is the only sport tainted by scandalous incidents but you'll find bad people in every corner of society. Sadly, that's caused some to close their eyes to the good you can find in every corner of society, even among NBA players.

I don't think anyone ever said the NBA was the only sports league with problems, it's just the one that sucks the hardest.

Seibu
9/27/2005, 06:23 AM
What's wrong with the Hornets? It has a nice ring to it...Oklahoma Hornets.

I mean really.....do they have any jazz clubs in Salt Lake City? Or lakes in Los Angeles?

Big Red Ron
9/27/2005, 10:16 AM
What's wrong with the Hornets? It has a nice ring to it...Oklahoma City Hornets.

Fixed it for ya!