PDA

View Full Version : Sing along with Kelvin

GDC
9/20/2005, 06:32 PM
Anyone know the full playlist from the CDs given out at Kelvin's 50th birthday bash?

King Crimson
9/20/2005, 07:42 PM
no, but that would be interesting to see. i know he's a big CCR guy.

GDC
9/20/2005, 08:25 PM

Sampson caught by surprise

By Justin Harper
The Oklahoman

NORMAN - The Big Five-Oh for Oklahoma basketball coach Kelvin Sampson comes on Oct. 5. And while his 50th won't sneak up on him, the celebration definitely did.
Sampson's wife, Karen, threw the coach a surprise birthday party at the Kerr McGee Lounge at Lloyd Noble Center following the OU-Tulsa football game on Sept. 10.

The coach thought he was going to a party for Kristen Castiglione, wife of OU athletic director Joe Castiglione. To sell the fake, Karen Sampson had invitations made up for the pretend Castiglione party. She also burned a CD of Kelvin's favorite songs as a gift to him and made 350 copies to give to guests at the party. Titled "Kelvin's Songs for the Road," the 17-song CD, which includes everything from Three Dog Night to Marvin Gaye to Toby Keith, is a compilation of songs Sampson has become notorious for belting out while driving.

"He only listens to CDs in his car," said Karen Sampson. "And he plays it loud and he sings loud. Doesn't matter who's in the car with him."

Karen Sampson began planning the party in May and brought in Kelvin's three sisters, childhood friends from North Carolina, former players from Washington State and OU. The planning was exhaustive and, she says, she nearly slipped up a few times.

"It was like planning a wedding but having to keep it a surprise to the groom," she said.

Top recruits visit: OU hosted Jeremy Mayfield at the OU-Tulsa game. Mayfield is a 6-foot-10, 225-pound power forward from Irving, Texas. The MacArthur High School product is rated as the fifth-best player in Texas and the 12th-best power forward in the country by Rivals.com. OU is one of nine schools he's still considering. Other Big 12 schools on his list are Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas A&M.

On Sept. 3, OU hosted Jermaine Beal, a 6-3, 186-pound point guard from DeSoto, Texas. Rivals.com ranks Beal as the nation's 19th-best point guard. He reportedly gave a verbal commitment to Vanderbilt on Monday.

OU has solid verbal commitments from Keith Clark of Putnam City, Scottie Reynolds of Herndon, Va., and Damion James of Nacodoches, Texas. James (6-8, 225 small forward) is the No. 1 player in Texas, according to Rivals. Clark (6-8, 220, small forward) is rated as the No. 14 small forward nationally, and Reynolds (6-0, 170, point guard) is No. 12 on the point guard list. All three have confirmed they will visit OU on Oct. 22.

Interesting transport: During his recent trip to Kuwait, where Sampson coached a team of military personnel in a basketball tournament dubbed "Operation Hardwood," the OU coach got the rare opportunity ride around desert style.

First, he rode a camel.

"Smelliest animal I've ever been around," said Sampson, who got to keep the desert camouflage fatigues he and other coaches wore in Kuwait from Aug. 27-31.

Then he drove an M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank.

The M1 is said to be capable of destroying any opposing armored fighting vehicle in the world, while providing protection for its crew in any conceivable combat environment.

Info exchange: In an information-gathering session in early September, Sampson welcomed in Marquette coach Tom Crean and his staff and Oklahoma Christian coach Dan Hays. NBA assistant Del Harris was also supposed to attend, but he had to cancel at the last moment. The coaches exchanged ideas and philosophies. Some of which could lead to some new looks for the Sooners this season.

"I call it the blade-sharpening day," said Sampson. "We (Sampson and his assistants) all just took a topic and ran with it. It's great to share ideas with guys who are that respected in the business."

GDC
9/21/2005, 05:08 PM
So apparently no one on this board rated an invite.

sooner_born_1960
9/23/2005, 07:46 AM
I'm no fan of the RIAA, but I don't think I'd be blabbing to the Oklahoman that I copied 17 songs 350 times to give away.