PDA

View Full Version : My solution if I were the Coach (long)

85Sooner
9/10/2005, 11:17 PM
My talk to Rhett

Look young man , I realize that you were the best highschool QB in the country.
We recruited you to be just that. However you are young and that ability you had is the potential we see in you. You are not yet there. No worries we will get you there. For now we are going with Paul. He has experience in game situations and even though we did not see a polished Qb. We know he has the skills and dedication to lead this team. Your time will come.

My Talk to Paul,

We gave you the opportunity to play QB at the div 1A level. We asked you to remove your redshirt because we needed a backup and you graciously complied knowing you would not get much playing time.
You played backup and I am sorry that we didn't focus on "your" abilities and put in the work neccesary to prepare you to run Jasons offense. We knew you were a runner and ignored the need to prepare you properly. You accepted a redshirt last year and were due the coaching and direction that we gave josh, nate and jason. The fact is we were planning on incorporating a running QB into our system. We appreciate your sacrifice, we scewed up, and we are goingwith you.

Respectfully 85Sooner

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/10/2005, 11:23 PM
Amen

85Sooner
9/10/2005, 11:33 PM
bmp

Soonermagik
9/10/2005, 11:40 PM
I agree with all that except taking Rhett out. He made 1 really poor decision. He hit Wilson twice and Wilson drops the ball both times. Then Wilson falls off his route and get the ball picked. When Rhett rolls out the O-line caves in.

It's not all Rhetts fault let's give him some time. We're going to lose 2-3 games this season deal with it.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/10/2005, 11:46 PM
I agree with all that except taking Rhett out. He made 1 really poor decision. He hit Wilson twice and Wilson drops the ball both times. Then Wilson falls off his route and get the ball picked. When Rhett rolls out the O-line caves in.

It's not all Rhetts fault let's give him some time. We're going to lose 2-3 games this season deal with it.

2-3 easy

maybe 4

SoonerLB
9/11/2005, 12:51 AM
I would say stay with Bomar. He has to learn, and it is evident that ENA can't handle it (that's my opinion anyway).
The following quote needs to be POUNDED into Chuck Long's head, even though I doubt it would do any good:
"The play calling is predictable and is not exciting to the players or the fans and is unproductive."
AD is going to be heavily keyed on for the remainder of the season, and he can't single-handedly win them all, even though we all know he will do his best.
I also agree with the man from Durant, maybe 4! Unless, of course, something changes for the better offensively.

Snrborn
9/11/2005, 12:57 AM
He (Bomar) must really appreciate the opportunity that he's been given. I'm sure he would never do anything to risk his playing time (like getting busted for underage drinking).....Being the starting QB at OU is just too important.

JaminT
9/11/2005, 01:11 AM
Hey Kevin, be harder on those kids, run em.....if one more quites the team we are going to be reduced to steaming pile of 3-8.

BleedinSoonerRed
9/11/2005, 01:15 AM
Must spread rep before giving it to 85 again, yada yada.

TopDawg
9/11/2005, 01:21 AM

When these things happened with Thompson last week, people were crying for Bomar.

85Sooner
9/11/2005, 08:34 AM
When these things happened with Thompson last week, people were crying for Bomar.

I know. now he has had his chance and really, I thought performed no better against an inferior team.

stoopified
9/11/2005, 08:40 AM
INHO Rhett did not play any better than ENA so we are back at square one.

FormerSoonerProf
9/11/2005, 09:18 AM
I liked 85Sooner's post, but why no comment about Bob Stoops? I really liked the way Stoops took charge when he first arrived here at OU... but now, he seems quite uninspired. Where is that old spirit? those trick plays he used to go out on a limb for? The Old Bob Stoops would never accept losing to TCU...something's wrong here... I just can't get it... He is supposed to be the head coach and get something done. Ultimately he has to take responsibility to fix things that go wrong.. I have not seen it yet... I am hoping he is keeping some of that for the OU-TX game.

SoonerSince72
9/11/2005, 09:25 AM
My talk to Rhett

Look young man , I realize that you were the best highschool QB in the country.
We recruited you to be just that. However you are young and that ability you had is the potential we see in you. You are not yet there. No worries we will get you there. For now we are going with Paul. He has experience in game situations and even though we did not see a polished Qb. We know he has the skills and dedication to lead this team. Your time will come.

My Talk to Paul,

We gave you the opportunity to play QB at the div 1A level. We asked you to remove your redshirt because we needed a backup and you graciously complied knowing you would not get much playing time.
You played backup and I am sorry that we didn't focus on "your" abilities and put in the work neccesary to prepare you to run Jasons offense. We knew you were a runner and ignored the need to prepare you properly. You accepted a redshirt last year and were due the coaching and direction that we gave josh, nate and jason. The fact is we were planning on incorporating a running QB into our system. We appreciate your sacrifice, we scewed up, and we are goingwith you.

GIVE IT UP. PT is no better than Rhett after having 3 years in the offense and that is sad! I dont give a damn if PT put in his time, you dont hand over the offense to another person after a win! The team needs to gel with one guy and it should be Bomar. If PT had been the starter yesterday you cannot say the end result would not have been the same simply because his performance last week sucked as well. Enough is Enough, if the coaches say Bomar starts, support him@!

GottaHavePride
9/11/2005, 10:39 AM
I know. now he has had his chance and really, I thought performed no better against an inferior team.
Um, Tulsa actually looked better than TCU...

Skip_Townsend
9/11/2005, 10:52 AM
My Talk to the fans:

"We are sorry you had to take out a second mortgage to get season tickets for this year. We are sorry the value of those tickets has now fallen by 80%. To compensate for your loss and inability to sell those tickets we have decided to give our season ticket holders 4 free family passes to Frontier City."

Old Pride Member
9/12/2005, 02:42 AM
Regents talk to Bob:

Hey son, we love you, agree you have done monumental things at OU and want you here in Norman.

As such, we have given you a sh*tload of money "rewarding" you for turning our football program around and to keep you here, BUT…We used to see fire in your eyes, a passion for football, Oklahoma University and OU tradition…a man who used all the tricks in his book to win at any and all costs!

Now we see a man who has a "job" and we're afraid you've become complacent.

You can't decide on a quarterback, the key element in football, your field general. How can you instill confidence in your players and fans, if you have none yourself?

Your OC either can't or won't adapt to our young quarterbacks strengths, the OL is dismal and your receivers are spoiled by Jason's proficiency.

Your defense has steadily gone downhill since Mike went to Arizona and has shown absolutely no passion and intensity. Did we let the "real" heart and soul of this program slip away ?

Yes, the Sooner Nation is a spoiled one, thanks to you. We EXPECT to win our games. Anything less is unacceptable.

As head coach, this all belongs to you. Either find your way back through your current staff, or get a new one.

If you can't do that, maybe Mike wants to come back to Norman.

~~~Just my 2˘~~~

OKC-SLC
9/12/2005, 03:13 AM
I don't really think there is a 'fire' missing from Bob's eyes. He has done everything short of crucify his players and staff in the media after these two games. Bob has looked extremely unhappy after these games and to be honest with you, it is a bright spot after two sub-par performances. He has said (I'm paraphrasing a bit here--someone less lazy than I can find the quotes) that we apparently need to find [passing] plays our kids can execute, and that we won't go all season without being able to throw the ball. The only thing left for him to say is that the players are incompetent and the coaches are the succ. And I don't expect or want him to say that, or he'll lose everybody.

Yes, we don't use as many trick plays (ok, none at all). But when we were using them it was driven by a talent deficit we had against a lot of opponents. That's not to say that our Mack-ish recruiting classes are playing up to potential, but I think that is what is frustrating Bob the most--that we shouldn't have to run trick plays to beat TCU and Tulsa.

I want to win every game and win championships as much as anyone. I grew up in Oklahoma an OU fan like many of us, and I spent 8 years getting degrees at OU--some of the time during the worst years of OU football evar.

There are a lot of reasons we are a disappointing team this year, and I suspect we'll see some restructuring this next offseason. And the more I watch and listen to Bob after these games, the more I am starting to think he is thinking about another offensive coordinator. I am an unapologetic Chuck Long hater. I have gotten my fair share of negspek for bashing him for a year and a half--back before bashing him was cool. And replacing him will be a step towards more championships. You'll see the fire in Bob's eyes when he makes changes after this season, especially if it keeps up like it is.

FormerSoonerProf
9/12/2005, 07:04 AM
OKC_SLC: The fire iin the eyes should be matched with action/preparation by the head coach and his team. Our team looks very badly prepared. When you have the talent level like the Sooners have, we should NEVER be losing to the likes of TCU. If you lose to USC, or anpther rated team, that is something entirely different. But when one struggles against an unrated team in a HOME game, what can you say? And they struggled badly - no composure, no spirit, heads hanging down, looking totally confused...Please tell me that aint sooner football.
Thanks.

I don't really think there is a 'fire' missing from Bob's eyes. He has done everything short of crucify his players and staff in the media after these two games. Bob has looked extremely unhappy after these games and to be honest with you, it is a bright spot after two sub-par performances. He has said (I'm paraphrasing a bit here--someone less lazy than I can find the quotes) that we apparently need to find [passing] plays our kids can execute, and that we won't go all season without being able to throw the ball. The only thing left for him to say is that the players are incompetent and the coaches are the succ. And I don't expect or want him to say that, or he'll lose everybody.

Yes, we don't use as many trick plays (ok, none at all). But when we were using them it was driven by a talent deficit we had against a lot of opponents. That's not to say that our Mack-ish recruiting classes are playing up to potential, but I think that is what is frustrating Bob the most--that we shouldn't have to run trick plays to beat TCU and Tulsa.

I want to win every game and win championships as much as anyone. I grew up in Oklahoma an OU fan like many of us, and I spent 8 years getting degrees at OU--some of the time during the worst years of OU football evar.

There are a lot of reasons we are a disappointing team this year, and I suspect we'll see some restructuring this next offseason. And the more I watch and listen to Bob after these games, the more I am starting to think he is thinking about another offensive coordinator. I am an unapologetic Chuck Long hater. I have gotten my fair share of negspek for bashing him for a year and a half--back before bashing him was cool. And replacing him will be a step towards more championships. You'll see the fire in Bob's eyes when he makes changes after this season, especially if it keeps up like it is.

OKC-SLC
9/12/2005, 07:22 AM
OKC_SLC: The fire iin the eyes should be matched with action/preparation by the head coach and his team. Our team looks very badly prepared. When you have the talent level like the Sooners have, we should NEVER be losing to the likes of TCU. If you lose to USC, or anpther rated team, that is something entirely different. But when one struggles against an unrated team in a HOME game, what can you say? And they struggled badly - no composure, no spirit, heads hanging down, looking totally confused...Please tell me that aint sooner football.
Thanks.
I didn't say he had the team prepared, which he didn't. I didn't say that the players had fire, because they didn't.

Agree 100% with you--there is no excuse to lose to TCU, "rated" or not. In fact, I would say there is rarely an excuse to lose to ANYONE at home; we are a premier program and for another program to beat us at home means a failure on our part.

My point is that I suspect Stoops will let nothing stand in the way of his doing OU football the best he can. And I think/hope he will replace Chuck if so necessary.

And it is SO necessary.

85Sooner
9/12/2005, 08:15 AM
Regents talk to Bob:

Hey son, we love you, agree you have done monumental things at OU and want you here in Norman.

As such, we have given you a sh*tload of money "rewarding" you for turning our football program around and to keep you here, BUT…We used to see fire in your eyes, a passion for football, Oklahoma University and OU tradition…a man who used all the tricks in his book to win at any and all costs!

Now we see a man who has a "job" and we're afraid you've become complacent.

You can't decide on a quarterback, the key element in football, your field general. How can you instill confidence in your players and fans, if you have none yourself?

Your OC either can't or won't adapt to our young quarterbacks strengths, the OL is dismal and your receivers are spoiled by Jason's proficiency.

Your defense has steadily gone downhill since Mike went to Arizona and has shown absolutely no passion and intensity. Did we let the "real" heart and soul of this program slip away ?

Yes, the Sooner Nation is a spoiled one, thanks to you. We EXPECT to win our games. Anything less is unacceptable.

As head coach, this all belongs to you. Either find your way back through your current staff, or get a new one.

If you can't do that, maybe Mike wants to come back to Norman.

~~~Just my 2˘~~~

Bravo, after reading stoops comments in the DO I am sadly afraid you hit the nail on the head.

Landthief 1972
9/12/2005, 08:49 AM
No fire from the D? Why don't you walk up to Dusty or Rufus and say that? Dvoracek pushed 2 O linemen around all day, and Rufus highlighted 11 tackles with a knockout.

The D line got pressure on Smith all day - he just made some unGodly plays. Smith played 10 feet over his ability. When was the last time you saw a QB from a lower-tier school complete 4 or 5 passes with two guys hanging from your arms while looking up into the sky? He made some passes while looking like Uncle Rico, FCOL.

http://dynamite.exit-music.net/unclerico.gif

The only really weak spot I saw were the safeties. They were out of position all day long, which allowed Mills to turn a 3-yard catch into a 15-yard gain.

Landthief 1972
9/12/2005, 08:50 AM
Oh, and let's not forget 3 red zone stops.

OKC-SLC
9/12/2005, 05:06 PM
you know what, and this has been mentioned in another thread or two...

thank God pellini is gone. gave up 3.5 million passing yards to ASU. I think our defense is noticably better than last year. Perfect, no. But better.

There seems to be a clear focus on NOT getting beat deep. Thankfully.

CatfishSooner
9/12/2005, 05:21 PM
I agree I think the only deep play we gave up was that wheel route to TCU where a LB was outta position..

Rooster
9/12/2005, 05:51 PM
Bob this is Barry, he is going to help you with your run game until the passing game picks up..Now chuck, just sit there and keep your mouth shut and you may still get paid this month. Brent, this is barry, he is going to give you some tips on running a defense..Now barry, dont fire them, we may need them when you go back to the donut shop....

FormerSoonerProf
9/12/2005, 08:49 PM
you know what, and this has been mentioned in another thread or two...

thank God pellini is gone. gave up 3.5 million passing yards to ASU. I think our defense is noticably better than last year. Perfect, no. But better.

There seems to be a clear focus on NOT getting beat deep. Thankfully.

I agree --- Defense looks MUCHHHHHH BETTTTRRR than last year. In TCU game, we made the defensive adjustments; against Tulsa, we looked pretty crisp compared to the offense. Just need to get the linebackers to put more pressure on opposing QB... a few knockdowns... Secondary is much better... no deep passes for TDs.

I think our offense is the the sick puppy that needs fixin and medix.

otis
9/12/2005, 10:12 PM
BOB HAS LOST THE FIRE. MAYBE JUST MAYBE THE WRONG STOOPS WENT TO AZ. IMO.

TDmaker
9/12/2005, 11:05 PM
I've thought this for a while now. Bob just stands there clapping doing his best Mack Brown impersonation. We need Mike to come back and do a few motivational sessions for the team.

85Sooner
12/3/2006, 10:41 AM
If only............... Maybe we would have had a rough year last yearbut most likely would be in the title hunt this year. Next year Bomar would have been a bit more mature, not the impatient spoiled brat he turned out to be and he would be able to come in with two years with the team and make us contenders again. Alas but it was not to be. Seem to remember gettimg alot of flak for this post.
Hindsight is 20/20

SoonerProphet
12/3/2006, 10:59 AM
Seeing how last year and that Grand Prairie kid matter zilch to what transpired this year, I'll say this. The next time a kid's pop (see Jerry) offers Coach Stoop some advice, he is going to tell him to stick where the sun don't shine.

But that was last year and PT did a great job and will go down as one of the greatest team players in OU history.