PDA

View Full Version : Worried about the Band! Formally known as the Pride

Pages : 1 [2]

GottaHavePride
9/12/2005, 11:52 PM
That's what his job is. He's not there to watch the game. His job is to direct the band. That's what he signed up for and that's what his responsibilty is. He's not the one that chooses when and when not to play. That's why he's got a giant headset on his head.

Don't go shooting your mouth off if you don't know what you're talking about Actually, they never used a headset until a couple of years ago when Joe C. decided to clog up every single timeout with a special presentation about a longtime season-ticket-holder's dead canary. Before that, the drum major was expected to watch the game and know when to play, what to play after good plays, what to play after bad plays, not to play when an injured player is down, etc. etc.

Soonerborn03
9/12/2005, 11:54 PM
so who is the guy on the other end of the headset not watching the game?Don't know the answer to that. I don't think it's anyone affiliated with band. I think it's a guy in the press box that has a layout of all of the times for advertisements to be played.

My guess is he just says "play something" to the drum major and he just chooses a song to play. It's scary how much they have these little breaks coordinated. It's even worse for basketball band. They have exactly what songs we are going to play and what cuts we are going to use during the song.

Sooner04
9/12/2005, 11:58 PM
Joe Castiglione: destroying the athletic event experience since 1998.

Coming soon to a sporting event you hold dear to your heart.

GottaHavePride
9/12/2005, 11:58 PM
Likewise, the basketball band was never that anal-retentive about that stuff until, you guessed it, a few years ago when Joe C. decided to fill up every timeout with crowd-killing crap.

yermom
9/13/2005, 12:03 AM
i don't know crap about the band other than what i have seen as a fan in the stands

but it seems like something is out of whack, like kickoffs and playing when the visiting team is in the huddle or timeouts or whatever

"that's the way i like it" after a stuffed run or 2 yard pass on OUr offense, or after allowing a 3rd down conversion just doesn't sound right

you guys can set the tone of the crowd, i have seen it

not so much lately

OklahomaTuba
9/13/2005, 12:14 AM
Oh and pridetbone03, Drum Corps and College Marching bands are two different ball games here. Keep insulting the fans, that will make them real happy to donate more next year.

What an ***. Keep hounding him tuba. Its jack asses like that who don't understand who exactly is paying for their seats and trips to away games and such.

LittleRedTuba
9/13/2005, 12:27 AM
I agree that the Drum Major should pay a little more attention to the game. He consistently relies on band members to wave frantically at him when a player is down or something else happens where he shouldn't play. Also, he plays "Boomer Sooner," our proud fight song, when we are 4th and 30 in our own territory. Then, when we sacked their quarterback for a loss, he didn't play a single thing. He, a music education major, should have some concept of positive response for the team. Imagine how the players must feel when the band celebrates them going 3 and out, and gets no feedback whatsoever from the band when they stuff a QB. This guy, in my opinion, has absolutely no idea what he's doing. And he can't strut. I know he tries hard and gives a ton of time for the band, but personally I just don't think he's doing a good job.

P.S., there are still some members of the Pride blowing their brains out.

TheBobbyTrain
9/13/2005, 12:33 AM
i see some of the band i.e. pridetrombone03 is still delusional.

TheBobbyTrain
9/13/2005, 12:36 AM
oh, and pridetrombone03 - the more the pride becomes a drum corps, the more people will dislike it. drum corps should be left to those who like it and not make the remaining 95% of the population have to sit through it. hot dog lines are long enough as is, we don't need more people in line at concessions.

GottaHavePride
9/13/2005, 01:00 AM
Heh. I was a bone section leader in 2001 and 2002 Dammit I'm getting old. I just remembered DFC and I were section leaders in 2000, too, weren't we? then we added PrideTrombone in '01, right? And a fourth in '02?

How the hell did we get anything done with four section leaders? Great googa-mooga, that was 1/8 the section that year.

proud gonzo
9/13/2005, 01:06 AM
that may be, but they don't know how to blow their brains out properly. in other words they may be putting forth a lot of effort, but it's not producing very big results.

Ike
9/13/2005, 02:52 AM
I agree that the Drum Major should pay a little more attention to the game. He consistently relies on band members to wave frantically at him when a player is down or something else happens where he shouldn't play. Also, he plays "Boomer Sooner," our proud fight song, when we are 4th and 30 in our own territory. Then, when we sacked their quarterback for a loss, he didn't play a single thing. He, a music education major, should have some concept of positive response for the team. Imagine how the players must feel when the band celebrates them going 3 and out, and gets no feedback whatsoever from the band when they stuff a QB. This guy, in my opinion, has absolutely no idea what he's doing. And he can't strut. I know he tries hard and gives a ton of time for the band, but personally I just don't think he's doing a good job.

He also didn't get that plume very close to the ground.....

maybe Im just an ignorant hillbilly, but shouldnt the drum major be someone that actually cares about whats happening in the game? from the sound of it, he doesnt...

and if so, I blame him for the TCU loss then.

PrideTrombone
9/13/2005, 07:38 PM
Dammit I'm getting old. I just remembered DFC and I were section leaders in 2000, too, weren't we? then we added PrideTrombone in '01, right? And a fourth in '02?

How the hell did we get anything done with four section leaders? Great googa-mooga, that was 1/8 the section that year.

Actually, it was you and DFC in 2001, then you added me in 2002, then you left so it was me, DFC, and J.E. You are old. :)

Ruuuuuufus
9/13/2005, 08:03 PM
nvm

GottaHavePride
9/13/2005, 10:18 PM
Actually, it was you and DFC in 2001, then you added me in 2002, then you left so it was me, DFC, and J.E. You are old. :)
My bad. Confusion came from J.E. being a squad leader in 2002.

OklahomaTrombone
9/13/2005, 10:20 PM
And everyone thought O.T. should have been a section leader in 2003.

;)

OklahomaTuba
9/13/2005, 10:26 PM
What the hell happened to the williams tell thing?

Its been awhile since I heard it last. If its gone, someone should be shot.

Of course, its been while since I heard the pride from my seats anyway. ;)

proud gonzo
9/13/2005, 10:46 PM
they still play it, you just can't hear it.

proud gonzo
9/13/2005, 10:52 PM
I have a couple of song ideas for their next show:
Hush
Sounds of Silence

TheBobbyTrain
9/14/2005, 12:31 AM
how about 4 minutes 33 seconds, that could be a new halftime tune. hell, itd be better than anything ive heard thus far.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/14/2005, 12:37 AM
The band plays at halftime? I thought halftime was for a quick pee, hot dog, and coke!

TheBobbyTrain
9/14/2005, 12:53 AM
most people do that, the people that dont are merely passing time until the hot dog lines thin out.

apusooner
9/14/2005, 01:00 AM
how about 4 minutes 33 seconds, that could be a new halftime tune. hell, itd be better than anything ive heard thus far.

good idea, Irv.

Oldnslo
9/14/2005, 09:31 AM
I STILL WANT SPIKE JONES!

The song is called "Powerstation". You'll remember it from cartoons as soon as you hear it. It's be teh awesome.

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2005, 09:39 AM
A request to you hillbillies.

At your next home game, will someone count the number of times the band plays any part of, or all of "Boomer Soon.."

I'm curious as to whether the count will be in excess of 50.

yermom
9/14/2005, 09:42 AM
shouldn't you be working on the railroad or something?

Oldnslo
9/14/2005, 09:59 AM
the Pride could play this (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/peanutbutter.html)

OUlissa
9/14/2005, 11:20 AM
I have a couple of song ideas for their next show:
Hush
Sounds of Silence

We played "Hush" at the Orange Bowl in 2000...ah, memories. ;)

apusooner
9/14/2005, 11:39 AM
We played "Hush" at the Orange Bowl in 2000...ah, memories. ;)

I think you meant Independence Bowl in 99. Orange Bowl was American Slaute and America from West Side Story. :)

TheHumanAlphabet
9/14/2005, 12:57 PM
http://x4.putfile.com/9/24916441637.jpg
Worst looking strut I have ever seen! There is no bend at the waist and the hat isn't near the ground!

Pitiful!

TheHumanAlphabet
9/14/2005, 12:59 PM
At least he didn't fall down. ;)

And this 'musical' b/s is all fine and dandy, but I want more trumpets, trombones, tubas and drums. I want a LOUD band. :mad:
Heh! Where is the old Gene Thrailkill when you need him!

Corps style sucks when you aren't REALLY corps! Faux Corps Sux!

OUlissa
9/14/2005, 01:04 PM
I think you meant Independence Bowl in 99. Orange Bowl was American Slaute and America from West Side Story. :)

You are correct...I'm old, I forget these things. :)

TheHumanAlphabet
9/14/2005, 01:05 PM
what? the color guard used to wear skirts? WTF.. Yeah, those need to be brought back.
Lets see, in my day they had skirts, white "go-go" boots and a weight limit.

proud gonzo
9/14/2005, 01:07 PM
Worst looking strut I have ever seen! There is no bend at the waist and the hat isn't near the ground!

Pitiful!

when was THAT picture taken? ...that's a better strut than i think i've seen recently.

TheBobbyTrain
9/14/2005, 01:10 PM
Lets see, in my day they had ... a weight limit.

:les:

oumartin
9/14/2005, 01:12 PM
pg that pic was taken at this years TCU game.

TheBobbyTrain
9/14/2005, 01:14 PM
and by that i mean "how dare they" :rolleyes:

proud gonzo
9/14/2005, 01:14 PM
pg that pic was taken at this years TCU game.
ah

TheHumanAlphabet
9/14/2005, 01:16 PM
when was THAT picture taken? ...that's a better strut than i think i've seen recently.I was in the Pride 1978-1981. Can't remember names (old fogey you know), but our drum majors would brush the ground (or come darned close) when strutting!

PrideTuba
9/14/2005, 06:14 PM
Those were the good ol days, I wish I could see some shows and pregames from back then.

GottaHavePride
9/14/2005, 07:53 PM
A request to you hillbillies.

At your next home game, will someone count the number of times the band plays any part of, or all of "Boomer Soon.."

I'm curious as to whether the count will be in excess of 50.
Put everything you own on the over.

LoyalFan
9/14/2005, 07:58 PM
I just visited the Tubas site. I think it'll live long and prosper.
While there, I linked to the Pride site and the Texaggies band site.
Both are pretty disappointing. You'd think that two "major" bands would offer more by way of audio/video sampling. The only video on the Pride site is one you have to order ($) and the Aggie band does a slide show rather than a motion presentation...Geez!
Lastly, the audio of the Pride sux. I listened to the Chant and it sounds as though it was recorded in a barn circa 1919. I blame Pride alumni and current members for allowing the cheapness to persist. They oughta be embarassed and angry to demand upgrades worthy of the program.
There are some killer college band sites on the web. Why doesn't OU have one?
LF

PrideTuba
9/15/2005, 12:30 PM
Because they have people that dont know anything about websites building them. I helped build the Pride Tuba site, although its not that great, it is also completely free. We are about to buy some web hosting and hopefully itll be a lot better once that happens.

GottaHavePride
9/15/2005, 12:57 PM
Watch your back, dude - isn't it the wife of one of the directors that maintains the site? ;)

TheBobbyTrain
9/15/2005, 01:06 PM
he's probably already on the blacklist for posting on this thread

PrideTuba
9/15/2005, 02:46 PM
Watch your back, dude - isn't it the wife of one of the directors that maintains the site? ;)

Good thinking, I was thinking that one of the GA's did it. Then you posted that. Ill go edit now.

Soonerborn03
9/15/2005, 03:09 PM
Good thinking, I was thinking that one of the GA's did it. Then you posted that. Ill go edit now.You may edit it, but the post will forever live on in GottaHavePride's quote.

Unless GHP takes the quote out of course

oumartin
9/15/2005, 04:12 PM
is this guy the problem?

proud gonzo
9/15/2005, 05:20 PM
uh... it might be in good taste to edit your post, oumartin...

9/15/2005, 05:29 PM
I give up. Who is that guy?

GottaHavePride
9/15/2005, 05:43 PM
The guy in charge.

Jimminy Crimson
9/15/2005, 05:53 PM
This guy! (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47488&highlight=fire+brian+britt)

:texan:

apusooner
9/17/2005, 09:39 PM
i hate to bring this thread up again, but i saw some promise in the pep band today. The cymbal section was on fire! the rest still needs some work. i have never heard "thats the way i like it" sound more white. even when goldmember quoted it. wow.

Jimminy Crimson
9/17/2005, 09:45 PM
BRING BACK COACH! :texan:

GottaHavePride
9/17/2005, 10:43 PM
i have never heard "thats the way i like it" sound more white. even when goldmember quoted it. wow. Heh. And apparently that has become our new fight song, since they played it WAY more than I heard Boomer on TV. PG was about to unleash fists of rage on iggy every time they played it. She was shouting at the TV "Do you like them getting a first down while we're losing by 10? That's NOT the way I like it!" Except there were more ****s in there. ;)

proud gonzo
9/18/2005, 11:25 AM
:mad: :O

PrideTrombone
9/18/2005, 04:39 PM
I thought I heard some St. Elmo's Fire. Immediately, I thought of Mike Gundy's hair. I'm not sure why.

AustinTXHorn
9/18/2005, 06:10 PM
http://x4.putfile.com/9/24917070846.jpg

is there a straight diagonal in there?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/austintxhorn/lhb.jpg

Does this mean that LHB can claim "band scoreboard" over the Pride? :texan:

PrideTrombone
9/18/2005, 06:56 PM
Ouch.

proud gonzo
9/18/2005, 07:44 PM
big ouch.

apusooner
9/18/2005, 08:10 PM
Does this mean that LHB can claim "band scoreboard" over the Pride? :texan:

Haha. yes. so can the UCLA "band". They didn't march, thank goodness, since we got to see about 500 high school cheerleaders take the field and completely waste our time instead. The UCLA band wore shorts and hawaiian style shirts to the game. They looked like they were having a great time. Part of that could be because they were winning. :O I wish, for the sake of the kids in the band, that they would wear something like that just for a few games during the season. It would be so much more comfortable. Especially for the first few games when it is so hot. Oh yeah, I think the band should learn that " Bananas" song for the next game. :eddie: It would have made the halftime show if the girls on the field would have started singing that. Mark that down as possible best halftime show ever idea.

Ruuuuuufus
9/18/2005, 10:13 PM
They said on TV the UCLA band was small because they haven't started classes.

apusooner
9/18/2005, 11:15 PM
they were still cool. and they played some sweet tunes before the game. work does need to be done on the national anthem however.

OklahomaTrombone
9/18/2005, 11:18 PM
Aren't they a student run band?

Old Pride Member
9/18/2005, 11:24 PM
I was in the Pride 1978-1981. Can't remember names (old fogey you know), but our drum majors would brush the ground (or come darned close) when strutting!

David French was our (my-'76-'77) drum major E........then I think Samson took over about '78 or '79, maybe ?

Old Pride Member
9/19/2005, 12:06 AM
Lets see, in my day they had skirts, white "go-go" boots and a weight limit.

My freshman year ('76) the flag corps wore red (same as block) uniform hot-pants or shorts and go-go boots…there were some hefty gals out there. :eek:
In '77, Coach implemented the weight requirement and the corps looked much better that year.
There was a weekly weigh-in and you had 5 pounds to play with. The requirement was strictly enforced and if you were over, you didn't march until back within your limit.
In '78 their unis' changed to skirts when the new corps director (Jamie or Annie?) took over…she kept the boots and weight requirement.
Man, Coach had some really big ones back then !!
:D

Old Pride Member
9/19/2005, 12:49 AM
Those were the good ol days, I wish I could see some shows and pregames from back then.

Well, my friend, you can see one of those shows every home game…
The pregame show has been in existence since '76. There have been minor changes over the last 29 years - dang I'm OLD!! :eek:
The drumline entrance, big 12 flag presentation and the intro to Oklahoma have been changed, but that's it !!
:)

GottaHavePride
9/19/2005, 01:46 AM
Well, my friend, you can see one of those shows every home game…
The pregame show has been in existence since '76. There have been minor changes over the last 29 years - dang I'm OLD!! :eek:
The drumline entrance, big 12 flag presentation and the intro to Oklahoma have been changed, but that's it !!
:)
Well, and they changed the interlocking OU so they could fit even more people on the field. Because, you know, cutting people to maintain a high standard of quality might hurt someone's feelings.

Old Pride Member
9/19/2005, 02:25 AM
Well, and they changed the interlocking OU so they could fit even more people on the field. Because, you know, cutting people to maintain a high standard of quality might hurt someone's feelings.
LMAO !!!

proud gonzo
9/19/2005, 10:31 AM

yeah. and it's no longer an OJ but it doesnt' look nearly as cool... the guy who wrote the drill made it a little lamer--so there aren't all the pinwheels to suddenly form an OU on the field. I don't care for it too much...

PrideTrombone
9/19/2005, 04:30 PM
Well, things could be worse.
http://osumb.oregonstate.edu/img/112004.civilwar.picts/images/PB200899.jpg

OklahomaTrombone
9/19/2005, 04:32 PM
things that make you go.....bleh....

apusooner
9/19/2005, 04:56 PM
yeah, thats pretty bad.

OklahomaTrombone
9/19/2005, 05:02 PM
That looks like a drum major there on the end...see the black uni....

Cardinal sin......

proud gonzo
9/19/2005, 05:32 PM
oh geez

apusooner
9/19/2005, 05:51 PM
harley riders everywhere have to be ****ed.

Jimminy Crimson
9/19/2005, 05:56 PM
They're probably loud and dont play "That's the way....." 500 times a game.

You can wear a tutu for all I care, just play loud and strong. (and don't play "thats the way" ever again)

proud gonzo
9/19/2005, 06:21 PM
It's a good thing I didn't see the drum major today... I'm still vexed about that :mad:

oumartin
9/21/2005, 09:31 AM
this thread needs to stay at the top of the S.O page please.....

Bottom line is the "Pride" is woeful and needs to be fixed...

OUTrumpet
9/22/2005, 06:46 PM
Every day this week the directors have been pushing the band to play louder and louder. They've been stressing sound a LOT in the past couple days.

And I agree with the "That's the way I like it"

We played it after UCLA scored a TD and I just remember turning and looking at a friend "That is definitly NOT how I like it"

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 06:54 PM
What the heck was that formation during the TCU game? Now that my daughter is old enough, I stick around for the band at halftime and don't see a single OU formation. WTF??? She was like, "whats that Dad?" I was like, "I'm not sure, sorry babe."

proud gonzo
9/22/2005, 07:27 PM
Every day this week the directors have been pushing the band to play louder and louder. They've been stressing sound a LOT in the past couple days.

And I agree with the "That's the way I like it"

We played it after UCLA scored a TD and I just remember turning and looking at a friend "That is definitly NOT how I like it"
then frickin SAY something about it! maybe the problem is the Pride's made up of a bunch of pussies.

Big Red Ron
9/22/2005, 07:30 PM
then frickin SAY something about it! maybe the problem is the Pride's made up of a bunch of pussies.Sorry but isn't that a given? I keed, I keed.

oumartin
9/22/2005, 07:39 PM
i think they suck so bad they need to go back to learning the recorder and just playing recorders or kazoos during the game.. They suck!
They make slaughtervilles band look good.

apusooner
9/22/2005, 09:07 PM
i think they suck so bad they need to go back to learning the recorder and just playing recorders or kazoos during the game.. They suck!
They make slaughtervilles band look good.

BURN!!!

PrideTuba
9/23/2005, 02:52 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/austintxhorn/lhb.jpg

Does this mean that LHB can claim "band scoreboard" over the Pride? :texan:No this does not mean that.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/punkrocktuba/lhb.jpg

If you really want I will explain what is wrong inside each of the circles, but im pretty sure everybody will notice right away. Plus even if the shorthorn band could make straight lines, they are too afraid to march out of the tunnel after they lose at the Cotton Bowl. So they tuck their tails between their legs and go up the steps on their side of the stadium, seriously, even the cheerleaders go out the tunnel. Just you wait though, once they win at the Cotton Bowl the band will march down the track playing their fight song as loud and proud as they can get (which isnt much). Also, a 400+ member band that cant play louder than most 6A Oklahoma high school bands isnt much to brag about, strait lines or not. Heck, they march slow enough how hard could it be to make a straight line? Maybe im not giving them enough credit. I mean, they do have read music while they march, and we all know how hard that must be.

then frickin SAY something about it! maybe the problem is the Pride's made up of a bunch of pussies.Thats exactly the problem. No one in Pride, but a select few have the fortitude to speak their minds. When I was in it, if something happened I didnt like I made sure to say something about it. Everybody is afraid that if they criticize the Pride, the staff will get all over them. Really though, what will the staff do? Nothing, they will whine and try to act like they know everything and basically tell you that you are completely wrong. Like I said before, the staff, for the most part, is ruining the Pride.

TheBobbyTrain
9/23/2005, 10:09 AM
i spoke my mind, albeit in a rather crude way at times, and i was hated from then on out.

OklahomaTrombone
9/23/2005, 10:34 AM
I provided a place for people to speak their minds...and then I left.

Soonerborn03
9/23/2005, 10:35 AM
You may edit it, but the post will forever live on in GottaHavePride's quote.

Unless GHP takes the quote out of courseI got negged for this?

Ike
9/23/2005, 11:17 AM
I got negged for this?

hey, I got negged for my led zeppelin comment in the JPJ thread, so Im not surprised...Im throwin +spek your way to make up for that....

proud gonzo
9/23/2005, 01:18 PM
PrideTuba--

K, i understand there are some problems with the texass marching and I hate the whorns as much as you do. But have you SEEN pictures of the Pride on the field this year? did you see the marching in the latin show? It's BAD.

Stanley1
9/23/2005, 01:20 PM
I know absolutely NOTHING about band, but my friend that went to the TCU game with me said the same thing, that they looked and sounded bad.

Thats all I have to say, I just wanted to post something in this thread, its been around for weeks it seems like.

oumartin
9/23/2005, 03:06 PM
Stanley, we will keep this thread going I hope till they run the current directors out!
or until the PRIDE starts souding like a darn band we know it can be..
Therefore this thread may be around for a long, long time.

TheBobbyTrain
9/23/2005, 03:09 PM
I provided a place for people to speak their minds...and then I left.

and that place needs to return. my life hasnt been the same without it :rcmad:

dolemitesooner
9/23/2005, 03:11 PM
THIS THING IS STILL GOING

PrideTuba
9/23/2005, 03:33 PM
PrideTuba--

K, i understand there are some problems with the texass marching and I hate the whorns as much as you do. But have you SEEN pictures of the Pride on the field this year? did you see the marching in the latin show? It's BAD.

No I completely agree. They havent been marching that great and the lines do need some work. My main point with the texas picture was, if you want to show a picture of a band with straight lines. Make sure that band actually has all straight lines in the picture. I think the Pride definitely needs some work on the field.

I know absolutely NOTHING about band, but my friend that went to the TCU game with me said the same thing, that they looked and sounded bad.

I dont think they sounded that bad at all. It could have been a lot louder, but I enjoyed it.

THIS THING IS STILL GOING

It will continue to grow as each game passes.

OklahomaTuba
9/23/2005, 03:36 PM
Still no FireBrianBritt.com????

PrideTuba
9/23/2005, 03:37 PM
Still no FireBrianBritt.com????

I dont think anybody wants to pay for the hosting and the domain name.

oumartin
9/23/2005, 04:00 PM
i will pay for the domain and hosting.. I just don't wanna be in charge of it.. ..

proud gonzo
9/23/2005, 04:54 PM
we should take up donations to fund the site. First stop: the band office.

I can see it now...

PG: Hi, Mr. Britt, I'm taking donations to fund a website dedicated to The Pride, created by fans of the band and of the football team.
Mr. Britt: Well that sounds pretty cool. What's the site going to be called?
PG: firebrianbritt.com

dolemitesooner
9/23/2005, 05:01 PM

I can see it now...

PG: Hi, Mr. Britt, I'm taking donations to fund a website dedicated to The Pride, created by fans of the band and of the football team.

proud gonzo
9/23/2005, 05:06 PM
maybe asking Mr. Britt for money isn't the best idea... maybe i should go ask the band secretary (I bet she'd laugh) :D

wouldn't that be awesome? we could have a little disclaimer: "funding for firebrianbritt.com provided by The Pride of Oklahoma"

dolemitesooner
9/23/2005, 05:07 PM
maybe asking Mr. Britt for money isn't the best idea... maybe i should go ask the band secretary (I bet she'd laugh) :D

wouldn't that be awesome? we could have a little disclaimer: "funding for firebrianbritt.com provided by The Pride of Oklahoma"
:eek: i had nothing to do with this

GottaHavePride
9/23/2005, 05:10 PM
I dont think they sounded that bad at all. It could have been a lot louder, but I enjoyed it.
At the TCU game my thoughts went like this:

"Wow, there's not much power there. Intonation not great, but it's the first game. Attacks are sloppy, releases sound like they aren't even being addressed. Phrases have no follow-through, lots of huge gaps between notes. Drumline is rocking, too bad no one's really following them. Wow, the mark-times look like we're the Texas band now, very lazy - no snap to the movements at all. If the tubas would stop worrying about swinging and concentrate on playing for a bit they'd obliterate the entire band." ;)

Of course, that's all a hold-over from the days when I'd be the one fixing all those things the next week in rehearsal. Can't fix it if you don't know it's wrong...

proud gonzo
9/23/2005, 05:12 PM
Can't fix it if you don't know it's wrong...

DING DING DING!!!

we have a winner

dolemitesooner
9/23/2005, 05:12 PM
you band nerd need to qiut talking about the band band

GottaHavePride
9/23/2005, 05:38 PM
What, should we talk about the Dan Band instead?

apusooner
9/23/2005, 07:08 PM
At the TCU game my thoughts went like this:

"Wow, there's not much power there. Intonation not great, but it's the first game. Attacks are sloppy, releases sound like they aren't even being addressed. Phrases have no follow-through, lots of huge gaps between notes. Drumline is rocking, too bad no one's really following them. Wow, the mark-times look like we're the Texas band now, very lazy - no snap to the movements at all. If the tubas would stop worrying about swinging and concentrate on playing for a bit they'd obliterate the entire band." ;)

Of course, that's all a hold-over from the days when I'd be the one fixing all those things the next week in rehearsal. Can't fix it if you don't know it's wrong...

Nerd. :)

oumartin
9/23/2005, 07:20 PM
well, I can directly link the poor perfomance of the football team with the overall crappiness of the band.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OklahomaTrombone
9/23/2005, 07:23 PM

Well...PT wanted me to bring it back as firechucklong.com but thats already taken

Now the other firesoandso.com in this thread...hmmmmm.....

apusooner
9/23/2005, 08:34 PM

i agree.

BajaOklahoma
9/24/2005, 06:49 AM

I can see it now...

This is going to require more than the stealth cam. We need to get you a video camera.
Donations may be made to GetPGaVideoStealthCamera.com

proud gonzo
9/24/2005, 02:16 PM
YES!!! :D

PrideTrombone
9/25/2005, 06:35 PM
This is going to require more than the stealth cam. We need to get you a video camera.
Donations may be made to GetPGaVideoStealthCamera.com

Then we'll really know if she's a guy or not. ;)

Al Gore
9/25/2005, 09:45 PM
Donations may be made to GetPGaVideoStealthCamera.com In!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PrideTrombone
9/25/2005, 09:54 PM
In!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heh.

Al Gore
9/25/2005, 09:59 PM
During the last 2 weeks were the first time I have ever watched a band. I was impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

apusooner
9/26/2005, 02:32 AM
anyone know what the show is this week so sooner fans can brace themselves?

PrideTuba
9/26/2005, 11:49 AM
anyone know what the show is this week so sooner fans can brace themselves?

Its the movie show, the songs are James Bond, excerpts from The Incredibles, and the song "I need a hero" from Shrek 2. Just so you know, there was a committee made up of Pride members that picked these songs.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/26/2005, 11:53 AM
Yes I can here the James Bond theme going on behind me as my flag football team got whipped 18-0!

PrideTrombone
9/29/2005, 05:05 PM
I hope it's the real James Bond theme and not a cut from the middle of A View To A Kill or something. :)

OklahomaTrombone
9/29/2005, 05:08 PM
Hmm...james bond.....It'll be allright unless they start whistling in the middle of it

proud gonzo
9/29/2005, 05:11 PM
Its the movie show, the songs are James Bond, excerpts from The Incredibles, and the song "I need a hero" from Shrek 2. Just so you know, there was a committee made up of Pride members that picked these songs.
we're well aware--thanks though ;)

sirelias2001
10/7/2005, 03:34 PM
Where is the band performing tonight (at which high school)??

Scott D
10/7/2005, 03:40 PM
this thread hasn't had a good ole 'Fire Brian Britt!' in awhile...ywia

oumartin
10/7/2005, 04:20 PM
they are even bad enuff the texas band is better....

proud gonzo
10/7/2005, 04:43 PM
Where is the band performing tonight (at which high school)??

I don't know, and I can't ask anyone because they left at 7 this morning and the pride website is restricted to members only.

GottaHavePride
10/7/2005, 04:45 PM
Yeah, because if fans can find out where the band is, The Terrorists Are Winning. ;)

SnappyDaze
10/7/2005, 06:45 PM
They were in Ardmore this morning. They played till 11 and then had a catered lunch and left. I have no idea where they are tonight.

BajaOklahoma
10/7/2005, 10:21 PM
Don't they usually go to the OU Club of Dallas party?

proud gonzo
10/7/2005, 10:33 PM
yeah. but they also play at a high school football game.

GottaHavePride
10/8/2005, 01:27 AM
Don't they usually go to the OU Club of Dallas party?
Yeah. They play a high school game, and then they go play at The Drunk, and then the sophomores have to go play at The Other Drunk. then in the morning the section leaders will have to go play The Drunk At The Anatole before they head for the Cotton Bowl.

Old Pride Member
10/8/2005, 02:18 AM
LOL…the Alumni Drunk !!
My sophmore year I made $100 lettin' somebody "play" my clarinet !!
Man, those were the good old days…

PrideTrombone
10/8/2005, 07:33 AM
Yeah. They play a high school game, and then they go play at The Drunk, and then the sophomores have to go play at The Other Drunk. then in the morning the section leaders will have to go play The Drunk At The Anatole before they head for the Cotton Bowl.

Ahh, yes... the Rich Drunk.

oumartin
10/9/2005, 05:43 PM
okay,, who is worse. the sooner football team or the band that is suppose to play and support the football team?

proud gonzo
10/9/2005, 05:44 PM
I dunno, but I think they're a pretty good match right now :rolleyes:

GottaHavePride
10/9/2005, 05:58 PM
All I could hear on Tv was the Slow Band of the Souhwest.

OklahomaTrombone
10/9/2005, 06:45 PM
Probably because they only turned the mikes on when someone scored.

[ducks]

proud gonzo
10/9/2005, 07:20 PM
heh

AustinTXHorn
10/9/2005, 09:12 PM
All I could hear on Tv was the Slow Band of the Souhwest.
I didn't hear the OU band all game long and they were directly facing me.

Of course, this wasn't too bad. I didn't have to hear Boomer Sooner once all game. :D

BajaOklahoma
10/9/2005, 09:16 PM
I didn't hear the OU band all game long and they were directly facing me.

Of course, this wasn't too bad. I didn't have to hear Boomer Sooner once all game. :D

They were playing, not as often as we would have liked, but I heard them.
Get your hearing checked before next year - you don't want to miss out. :D

GottaHavePride
10/9/2005, 09:16 PM
At least they weren't playing "That's the way uh-huh uh-huh I like it! uh-huh uh-huh" any that I could tell.

PrideTrombone
10/9/2005, 09:17 PM
At least they weren't playing "That's the way uh-huh uh-huh I like it! uh-huh uh-huh" any that I could tell.

That's odd. They usually play that when the team is doing badly. :D

badger
10/10/2005, 03:24 AM
it is best that i never notice these threads because then I'm forced to comment.

for those of you starting to criticize the admin. and other leaders at OU for the non-taunting request at OU-tx, that was Texas' request, not OU's. Why would OU block it's own fans with black curtains? Anyways, that thread got deleted so I typed in one of your usernames so I could find where you're all posting... and whaddayaknow, this board pops right up.

Can't we have ONE season where we don't criticize our player, call for coaches to get fired or say how weak the band is? Hell, can't we have one WEEK?

Okay, I'll take a day... or an hour. Just stop for a minute (yes, I'll also take a minute) and remember that we're all trying our best to help our school. Sometimes the team loses, sometimes the drum major doesn't break his back and sometimes the lines are not straight in pregame. The team and the band are both getting better. Give us some time. If by midseason the team is still losing and the band is still not living up to your high standards, then voice your opinions. Why can't you give us all a chance to improve?

Ah, now that took you at least a minute to read, one less minute you'll be posting your remarks here. I'm finished for the thread. I can't believe this one slipped me by, as often as I visit here... oh yeah, and if you're the ones posting at the board that got removed, the PM is in the mail.

Night, everyone.

The Original "soonerjeff"
10/10/2005, 04:07 AM
Probably because they only turned the mikes on when someone scored.

[ducks]

Its true. And the few times that they did turn on the Pride's mike, it sounded muffled or turned the wrong way.

I'm not going to get in the middle of this thread b/c I'm tired of seeing you 10 or 12 people (most of which I've been friends with) continually attacking the Pride.

The only thing that I'd like to see is that the personal attacks stop. If a current Pride member is taking a chance and coming on this board to try to stand up for something that they feel strongly about-- whether its the direction that the band has taken or they're devotion to the band in general-- you should allow them that opportunity to disagree with you. Calling them a dumbass and constantly telling them that they're wrong and stupid for having that opinion does nothing to help your cause.

With that, I'm going to just ignore this thread (and most of Soonerfans) again. (So that means don't try to ask me to come and show you proof of what you've said, b/c I won't be back to see it. Go back and look around page 15. Thats where I stopped reading.) Its just getting way too sad and dumb to see that this thread and others like it are still being used by the same few people...

oumartin
10/10/2005, 06:39 AM
I am not associated with the "Weak" in anyway. I am a avid football fan that used to hear boomer sooner 1.5 miles away cuz the guy in charge knew what the "Pride" was for. To support the Sooner football team. They are not there on Saturday to put on a symphony!
When someone in charge realizes what the "Pride" is for and brings it back to one of the top 5 COLLEGE FOOTBALL BANDS that is was for so many years there will no longer be threads about how crappy they have become.

mrowl
10/10/2005, 07:27 AM
I need to start a thread about the cheerleaders... they were worse than the pride on Saturday.

SaxySooner
10/10/2005, 01:17 PM
It's great to know that, as a member of the Pride, my hard work and effort isn't appreciated by the fans. You don't think we played enough on Saturday? Then why was my lip so swollen? Did you ever stop to think maybe there was another reason why you couldn't hear us? I love our team, win or lose, and I play and march as well as I can at every single performance. And sometimes mistakes happen when we march...no one can control that.
And if you think WE'RE concert band-ish, you should hear some of the other bands out there. There's some that barely even play their own fight song! I do agree that we haven't played Boomer enough this year, and I hope that changes, but hey...the players don't get to pick the music, so don't take it out on us by telling us we suck!!
I still think The Pride is fantastic and I am proud to be a member, and if you don't agree then maybe you should go watch some of the other bands in the state and consider your alternatives......

And at least we don't wear fringe......

apusooner
10/10/2005, 01:47 PM
You don't think we played enough on Saturday? Then why was my lip so swollen?
you probably don't practice enough. just sayin.

the band was bad. sorry. it was. there is no excuse for what they put on the field. there is one game of the year that people care about what the band plays. OU/tx. the show was played the previous week, so it should have been rehearsed enough. i think they said they played the james bond theme? that is one of my all time favorite movie themes, i was in front of the band, and could not make out what was being played. wow. and don't tell me the problem is the acoustics of the cotton bowl, because i heard the texas band just fine. it was boring, but i could hear them.

mrowl
10/10/2005, 02:51 PM
Saxy, have you not figured out that if the Pride was at least as good as they were in '01, '00, '99, there woundn't be a thread like this?

Pass that along to the great leadership down there.

oumartin
10/10/2005, 03:13 PM
from what I gather the leadership has their head up their butts so they cannot hear the critisism

badger
10/10/2005, 03:20 PM
Pass that along to the great leadership down there.

Rest assured, they heard about this the second it started (not from me, mind you - i just learned last night that this thread existed). However, they're not going to respond here like I am (even though I know I'm just going to get in trouble for responding). That's why they're great leaders, and I'm just a student having fun supporting the Sooners with a trumpet. It's hot, it's draining and it's sometime not "the way we like it" when we're playing that song, but we stand the entire game and make noise after nearly every single play. Give us a little credit, it's more than most students and fans do in an entire season.

C'mon martin, Sooners have endured a lot of criticism this season for having three loses. Do you ignore it and continue to play as hard as you can, or do you lash back at it and get laughed at?

oumartin
10/10/2005, 04:24 PM
look dude, are you complaining cuz its hot out and that you have to play an instrument more than one time a game? get over it. thats your job.
look, its been brought to the directors attention on more than one occasion but he or they are too stubborn to know they need to change things up..
they are out there for the teams and the fans entertainment.. not to win a freakin' bose sound quality award..

apusooner
10/10/2005, 04:36 PM
i wouldn't want the bose sound quality award. bose=Bring Other Sound Equipment ;)

oumartin
10/10/2005, 04:39 PM
well, you get the picture :D

Scott D
10/10/2005, 04:44 PM
Rest assured, they heard about this the second it started (not from me, mind you - i just learned last night that this thread existed). However, they're not going to respond here like I am (even though I know I'm just going to get in trouble for responding). That's why they're great leaders, and I'm just a student having fun supporting the Sooners with a trumpet. It's hot, it's draining and it's sometime not "the way we like it" when we're playing that song, but we stand the entire game and make noise after nearly every single play. Give us a little credit, it's more than most students and fans do in an entire season.

C'mon martin, Sooners have endured a lot of criticism this season for having three loses. Do you ignore it and continue to play as hard as you can, or do you lash back at it and get laughed at?

Well tell the leadership that if they are gonna cause you guys any problems they are more than welcome to get off of their light in the loafers lazy asses and come on up to Michigan to pay me a visit.....I'll take em down to Ann Arbor and introduce them to musical school spirit, instead of goddamn lame musicals :D

PrideTrombone
10/10/2005, 05:29 PM
it is best that i never notice these threads because then I'm forced to comment.

for those of you starting to criticize the admin. and other leaders at OU for the non-taunting request at OU-tx, that was Texas' request, not OU's.

We shoulda told Texas to blow it out their ***. :)

badger
10/10/2005, 06:38 PM
change??? well now that you mention it...

we are playing hush. Now hush, pride bashers :)

look dude, are you complaining
No, if I was complaining, I would be saying "SHUT YOUR FREAKIN' MOUTHS! IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT WE'RE DOING, MOVE TO TEXAS, YOU DISLOYAL BANDWAGONERS! IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PRIDE, YOU'RE A BAAAAAD PERSON AND SHOULD BE FORCED TO WEAR FRINGE"

But I am not saying that, I am saying give us a chance to improve before you... um... fire our directors, drum major and musicians. We'll get better, just like Rhett Bomar.

Oh yeah, and please don't call me "dude." Please call me "trumpet chick" or "badger" ... no, just "badger" will do.

TheBobbyTrain
10/10/2005, 07:26 PM
why should we expect improvement when all that has happened is a gradual decline since 2001?

The only way that the pride will get better is to ditch all of the drum corps crap. no one likes it except for drum corps people and that constitutes about 0.05% of the stadium population. It all starts with a better song selection and actually playing what Dr. Barrett arranges instead of cutting and pasting where necessary. Next would be to play like a band is supposed to sound like- with power and force- not "dark and rich". Now after that - ditch the whole asymmetrical loopty loo's and squigglie wigglies. Now with all of that you would probably work less, have 10 times more fun, and actually have a responsive crowd that would rather watch than go get a hot dog.

Now for those bitching about how much time and work you put into the Pride - NO ONE CARES. You could bust your *** for all the rehearsal time in the world and you know what? 84,000 people could care less. What is being shown is boring and lifeless. Try not working as hard and focus more on having fun, that's what the pride should be about anyway.

badger
10/10/2005, 08:31 PM
NO ONE CARES. You could bust your *** for all the rehearsal time in the world and you know what? 84,000 people could care less.

If anyone out there cares if the Pride musicians "bust their ***" to march and play well, please send me a PM or a tad bit o' green spek. If you do not care, please continue criticizing my opinion on here and send red spek... it's okay, I've been living on the fark board for about a year and can take a hit if that is how you all truly feel.

I am here because I want to let you all know that I care and I am enjoying my time in Pride - I can tell that there are people here that feel differently than I do, so just consider my posting a differing opinion that wants to be heard. I also believe that there are a lot of people that DO care how the Pride performs, otherwise this student wouldn't be wasting her time here trying to let you all know my perspective.

PrideTuba
10/10/2005, 10:57 PM
Somebody said something about a swollen lip earlier. Oh No! Not a swollen lip! Ive played so long and loud at games that ive made my lips chapped, crack open and start bleeding. Did I gripe about it? No I didnt. Seriously, if you practice playing loud and for long periods of time, your lips wont get swollen. I was in Pride last year, and ive heard/seen some talk about old members that "miss their time in Pride so much that they have to be like geezers that say 'Back when I WAS IN PRIDE, we did this this and this. WHY aren't you youngin's doing this now?'"

Well last year, when I was in Pride, I talked about how bad it was then too. The Pride is going downhill yet people in Pride wont let themselves believe it, which is probably good. If they did believe it then they probably wouldnt care anymore. I know a lot of people will disagree, but 2003 was the last good year of the Pride. Sooner or later you have to realize that the Pride is turning into a marching concert band, and 90% of the people at the football games could care less how fancy the drill is. The Pride isnt at football games to play musically and show how hard they worked during the week on the lame halftime shows. The Pride is there to play "Boomer Sooner" and "Oklahoma" and yes, an occasional stand tune to keep people entertained during long periods of rest.

I also find it funny that somebody earlier was talking about how they stand up all game and play their horn in uniform. I dont know about anybody else, but me and all the students around me are standing the whole game yelling and screaming. Whoever said that should open their eyes and take a look around for once.

A good question might be, Do I hate the Pride? No. Do I think most sooner fans hate the Pride? No, Im pretty sure it shows that they want the Pride to be, for a lack of better words, "good" again. If they didnt care about the Pride then why would there be a 21 page thread about them? Even if a few pages say nothing but, "the Pride sucks".

If any pride member that reads this wants to PM me or email me, go for it, ill talk about it in private. I dont like talking bad about the Pride, I love the Pride. I loved my time in Pride and I wish I could do it again, but I just realize that from what it was to what it is now, is worse and not getting better.

PhxSooner
10/10/2005, 11:05 PM
Heck, I stood and yelled all game, every game, when I was in the Pride. And that was during the Gibbs years. Of course, I yelled a lot of "Geez, can't you see they're going up the middle again?!"

badger
10/10/2005, 11:10 PM
If they didnt care about the Pride then why would there be a 21 page thread about them? Even if a few pages say nothing but, "the Pride sucks".

That's the response I've heard in about an hour since I posted last. People care, even if a few of you out there don't.

I know the student section yells a lot, forget I mentioned them, even if the northeasternmost corner of that section has been empty since the season opener... ah, nevermind them. All I know is we care about the game just as much as other fans, if not moreso.

I can also tell you that this year is a lot better than last year. If you were still in band you would agree. I think current members that were in last year would also concur.

PrideTuba
11/1/2005, 03:54 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back up, but the halftime show at Baylor was terrible.

oumartin
11/1/2005, 04:45 PM
oh, is there still a band at the university?
I thought they brought in some junior high to play

OklahomaTrombone
11/1/2005, 04:46 PM
was that the psuedo eatme halftime?

oumartin
11/1/2005, 05:43 PM
http://bands.okstate.edu/images/unifor1.jpg

rumor has it these guys are better!

BajaOklahoma
11/1/2005, 08:07 PM
Either the band perked up or the microphones were in a better position for the swashbuckler game - they sounded great on TV. The best this year.

PrideTuba
11/2/2005, 12:07 AM
Yea they sounded awesome on tv. Those uniforms are horrid, I would not be able to live if I had to wear that

cofCtuba
11/2/2005, 12:35 AM
I can also tell you that this year is a lot better than last year. If you were still in band you would agree. I think current members that were in last year would also concur.

I am in Pride this year, and do not agree. Last year was when things really started going down hill, and this year is even worse. I'm not a music major, I don't know a whole lot about or care about the volume, tone, articulation and what not. I just play the notes on the page, and I play loud, especially in the stands. I'm in a college marching band, we're outside in the open air, in a stadium with 85,000 people. It's not a concert band. We're not in tuxedos on a stage in a big concert hall. It's a football game in Oklahoma! People are out to see the Sooners! And then get some entertainment at halftime. Let's just play and not worry about little stuff that Oklahoma football fans couldn't care less about.

Aside from the volume and musical stuff... In 2002 and 2003, during the percussion cadances in the parades marching in to Memorial Stadium, at the appropriate time, we yelled "Texas Still Sucks!" We did it in the Rose Bowl parade, on national television! Well, not anymore. We can't even say it at OU/tx! All the spirit and fun of the amazing rivalry of OU/tx is just being drained out of this wonderful organization, "The Pride of Oklahoma." Come on, it's college kids, having fun and also using their talents. Most of the pride isn't music majors, but are in it to use their musical talent to support an awesome football team with an amazing winning tradition. Who wouldn't want to be a part of it?

There's so much more I could write, and I'll probably write more later.

MextheBulldog
9/11/2007, 11:53 AM
omg I just wanted to post in this thread

same here

OKLA21FAN
9/11/2007, 12:01 PM
I am in Pride this year, and do not agree. Last year was when things really started going down hill, and this year is even worse. I'm not a music major, I don't know a whole lot about or care about the volume, tone, articulation and what not. I just play the notes on the page, and I play loud, especially in the stands. I'm in a college marching band, we're outside in the open air, in a stadium with 85,000 people. It's not a concert band. We're not in tuxedos on a stage in a big concert hall. It's a football game in Oklahoma! People are out to see the Sooners! And then get some entertainment at halftime. Let's just play and not worry about little stuff that Oklahoma football fans couldn't care less about.

Aside from the volume and musical stuff... In 2002 and 2003, during the percussion cadances in the parades marching in to Memorial Stadium, at the appropriate time, we yelled "Texas Still Sucks!" We did it in the Rose Bowl parade, on national television! Well, not anymore. We can't even say it at OU/tx! All the spirit and fun of the amazing rivalry of OU/tx is just being drained out of this wonderful organization, "The Pride of Oklahoma." Come on, it's college kids, having fun and also using their talents. Most of the pride isn't music majors, but are in it to use their musical talent to support an awesome football team with an amazing winning tradition. Who wouldn't want to be a part of it?

There's so much more I could write, and I'll probably write more later.

pure genius
(and still seems to apply today)

Petro-Sooner
10/14/2007, 10:48 AM
Missouri band sure sounded loud last night. What was even better was when they both tried to play over each other. It was good stuff.

Half a Hundred
10/14/2007, 02:35 PM
Missouri band sure sounded loud last night. What was even better was when they both tried to play over each other. It was good stuff.
I remember thinking during Mizzou's halftime "Man, they're basically just doing their pregame. That's weak"

Then we came out and played showtunes.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Petro-Sooner
10/14/2007, 02:42 PM
I keep thinking they might come out and do a half time show that has something to with the centennial. I'll keep wishing I guess. A tribute to dairy is ok I suppose.

1stTimeCaller
10/14/2007, 02:47 PM
I seriously had no idea that people actually paid attention to the band other than hearing them as background noise.

Petro-Sooner
10/14/2007, 02:49 PM
I made it back from the coke stand early.

Scott D
10/14/2007, 05:26 PM
I wonder if Dr. Richard Suk (http://www.ohiou.edu/marching110/about/history/directors/r_suk/r_suk.html) would be interesting in following in the footsteps of Ohio University's 1967-1971 band director.

GottaHavePride
10/14/2007, 06:19 PM
There's only one... Gene "Coach" Thrailkill.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/14/2007, 06:26 PM
There's only one... Gene "Coach" Thrailkill.Seriously. Bring back Coach.

Well, it should be a clue that the crowd cheered a little more yesterday when they played Ok Oklahoma at halftime and marched like A&M. Then they had to go and screw it up with Westside Story.

While WSS is an excellent musical, it still ruined the rest of the program.

frankensooner
10/15/2007, 09:12 AM
I sat in the new upper deck, nice seats, plastic with backs and arms, btw, and I could not hear the pride. I thought you guys were kidding, but wow. I heard Mizzou's band but could barely hear OU's.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/15/2007, 09:55 AM
I missed Alumni Band again due to travel schedules. Any Alumni people have comments on the Britt Pride from last game. Please, no band homer replies.

frankensooner
10/15/2007, 09:56 AM
I did hear the Alumni band, they sounded great!

TheHumanAlphabet
10/15/2007, 10:26 AM
I did hear the Alumni band, they sounded great!

Considering the comment from you that didn't hear the pride, that is not good ;) (I know, that is overhead, the sound doesn't project that way...;))... Perhaps that was wind aided or something ;)

MamaMia
10/15/2007, 10:30 AM
I never thought I would say this but, the Pride just isn't very good anymore. :(

TheBobbyTrain
10/15/2007, 10:48 AM
if they don't incorporate Chicago's "I'm a Man" for the OSU game then they really have a problem

Lott's Bandana
10/15/2007, 11:16 AM
Maybe this was mentioned somewhere earlier in the previous 21 pages of this thread, but I can't seem to get the thread to work very well so I can't read them all, so accept my apologies if applicable...

WHY? Why did we start playing that little rag that Alabama has been doing for years? It is almost their signature tune and now the Pride does it during gameplay and I cannot tolerate copycatting...do you all know which one I am talking about? Three little 4-note measures down the scale with pauses between, then one that then goes up the scale with a flourish. Our duuhh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh dunt "OU!" is original and I would hate to find out that the Crimson Saban's started doing a "There's only one, Alabama".

(Ok, maybe we "sampled" Boola Boola a long time ago, but the statute of limitations has run out on that one...)

No more Bama please.

soonerloyal
10/15/2007, 11:30 AM
Not that I have much right to post on this thread, since my mother's the band/orchestra performer in the family. I was "just" a dance team/flag corps gal. But I'm one of the many fans that enjoys the hella out of The Pride. I know how difficult, time-consuming and thankless it is to be a halftime, other-than-football-player person out on the practice field and in front of the crowds on gameday.

True, this isn't The Pride that won the Sudler, and damn I miss having THAT rendition of "Boomer Sooner"! But, I'm grateful that we have a hella lot better University band than many other schools. Thank y'all for investting so much time, talent and effort into what you do for us.

That said...my mama says someone ought to take a baseball bat to BB and wail on him till he pulls his head out. And that if ANYONE holding the exalted position of Drum Major doesn't have permanent spinal curvature from doing it RIGHT, doesn't deserve the position.

She's pretty Old School.

M
10/15/2007, 11:34 AM
WHY? Why did we start playing that little rag that Alabama has been doing for years? It is almost their signature tune and now the Pride does it during gameplay and I cannot tolerate copycatting...do you all know which one I am talking about? Three little 4-note measures down the scale with pauses between, then one that then goes up the scale with a flourish. Our duuhh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh dunt "OU!" is original and I would hate to find out that the Crimson Saban's started doing a "There's only one, Alabama".

LOL, that cute little tune always reminds me of the Ali G episode where Bruno goes to Alabama (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8RnYzPg3dA).

"Vassup? Being gay is teh new coolest thing, so that's why I come to teh gayest part of America - Allahbama!!" :P

Dio
10/15/2007, 12:34 PM
if they don't incorporate Chicago's "I'm a Man" for the OSU game then they really have a problem

...followed by a Roland Barrett arrangement of Jenny (867-5309)

We'll prolly get more show tunes, though.

OklahomaTuba
10/15/2007, 12:58 PM
I sit right across the field from the pride on the west side.

I could hear Marching Mizzou about as well as I could hear the band formally known as The Pride.

I blame global warming myself.

Petro-Sooner
10/15/2007, 01:09 PM
Seriously, can anything be done? I'm sure others have contacted BB and boran about this issue. Or is this one of these things where we are just going to have to put up with crap til BB says hes had enough.

OklahomaTuba
10/15/2007, 01:25 PM
It won't change. TBFKATP will continue on with their new tradition of suckage and ripping off other school's traditions.

It should be interesting to see how TBFKATP stacks up in the Macy's Day Parade. Hopefully we don't get owned by any highschools.

r5TPsooner
10/15/2007, 01:33 PM
I'm not much for halftime shows but Mizzou did a fine job I thought at halftime and during the game. The Pride... not so much. The Mizzou band was louder than the Pride on many occasions and looked more in sync than the Pride in regards to both halftime shows.

Maybe we can steal the Ohio State band director?

Kinda sad really.

SoonerStormchaser
8/27/2010, 05:53 PM
Gotta bump this one too...

TheHumanAlphabet
8/27/2010, 08:42 PM
Ah, it must be close to football season. Another go 'round.

Fire Brian Britt!!!

Go bus #7! or is it #5?? drink, drink, drink!!! Count down to I-35!

dolemitesooner
8/29/2010, 12:31 PM
Pride blows

badger
8/29/2010, 01:21 PM
these type of threads slightly annoyed me in 2005... but that was while i was still in college. now i am indifferent. :P

uggggh, i can't believe i used rhett bomar in an argument. lol. 2005 football season sucked, aside from it being our last bowl win up till this past year :D

SouthFortySooner
8/29/2010, 10:38 PM
I'll start caring about the pride when someone can tell me anything thing it has to do with winning a FOOTBALL GAME.

yermom
8/29/2010, 10:56 PM
i watched them throw off the OSU student section in 2004 :D

the King gave them a game ball in the 80s as well

badger
8/30/2010, 07:35 AM
i watched them throw off the OSU student section in 2004 :D

the King gave them a game ball in the 80s as well

one of my least favorite pride trips was to stillwater. traffic bad, the people in orange hate having us there, and they are kind of weird. they were all lining those orange field mats, just waiting to rush the field... but instead, their kick went wide. yay us

NormanPride
8/30/2010, 10:23 AM
I'll start caring about the pride when someone can tell me anything thing it has to do with winning a FOOTBALL GAME.

I'll give you two examples. The first one is obvious. On the road in Stillwater in the 80s, we were down, and the aggots got uppity with Coach (the director, not the King :D). They said he couldn't stay on the field, even though he had a field pass. So he argued and got kicked out. On his way out, he told the Pride to play Boomer Sooner and not stop until the game was over. It was the third quarter, I believe. After a comeback victory, the King gave the Pride the game ball, saying ht was the "Game the Pride Won".

The second is much less obvious. In 2001, Kstate came to Norman and nearly left with a win - this is something that everyone knows. What is much lesser known is that the Pride did something they probably shouldn't have. The night before the game, a few members let the word out that there was going to be a "pep band" at the movie theater. Well, the movie theater was right next to the hotel that the Mildcats were staying in. Still, it was just a few people, and most likely nothing would come from it. In the end, though, almost the entire Pride showed up to play various rah-rah stuff towards the movie theater at almost 1 in the morning. Coach Snyder himself came out and yelled at the movie theater manager and the pride, but since we weren't on the hotel's land he couldn't do much and the movie theater manager wanted us there.

The Pride eventually had to issue an apology to Snyder and the Kstate athletic department, but you'll never convince me that "Operation Mildcat" didn't account for the one point difference that gave us the win!

TheHumanAlphabet
8/30/2010, 10:49 AM
The second is much less obvious. In 2001, Kstate came to Norman and nearly left with a win - this is something that everyone knows. What is much lesser known is that the Pride did something they probably shouldn't have. The night before the game, a few members let the word out that there was going to be a "pep band" at the movie theater. Well, the movie theater was right next to the hotel that the Mildcats were staying in. Still, it was just a few people, and most likely nothing would come from it. In the end, though, almost the entire Pride showed up to play various rah-rah stuff towards the movie theater at almost 1 in the morning. Coach Snyder himself came out and yelled at the movie theater manager and the pride, but since we weren't on the hotel's land he couldn't do much and the movie theater manager wanted us there.

The Pride eventually had to issue an apology to Snyder and the Kstate athletic department, but you'll never convince me that "Operation Mildcat" didn't account for the one point difference that gave us the win!

I have heard a lot of stories on the Pride, I have never heard this story until today. Good one!

Why apologize, was Britt in charge?

OUTrumpet
8/30/2010, 11:47 AM
I have heard a lot of stories on the Pride, I have never heard this story until today. Good one!

Why apologize, was Britt in charge?

Their AD called up Castiglione and it trickled down from there.

We got mentioned on ESPN as having one of the biggest 'misses' of the week. That game demoralized KSU so frickin bad. They ended up droppin the next 6 games or something like that.

NormanPride
8/30/2010, 11:57 AM
Yup, that was one we couldn't get around apologizing for. It was supposed to be "a random group of musicians who happen to know all the Rah-Rahs" but one of our... less detail-oriented members brought the Pride van, and that kind of messed things up.

PrideTrombone
8/30/2010, 07:20 PM
I'll give you two examples. The first one is obvious. On the road in Stillwater in the 80s, we were down, and the aggots got uppity with Coach (the director, not the King :D). They said he couldn't stay on the field, even though he had a field pass. So he argued and got kicked out. On his way out, he told the Pride to play Boomer Sooner and not stop until the game was over. It was the third quarter, I believe. After a comeback victory, the King gave the Pride the game ball, saying ht was the "Game the Pride Won".

I was there, never saw Bill Snyder at all. The rest of the story is what I remember however.

SouthFortySooner
8/30/2010, 07:50 PM
Excellent stories.