PDA

View Full Version : The Real Evil Empire...

GrapevineSooner
9/7/2005, 11:08 AM
...is headed by Tom Benson, owner of the Saints.

First, we have this (http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20050907-121612-9086r.htm).

Benson reportedly is entertaining the notion of moving the Saints to San Antonio or Los Angeles on a permanent basis, the team’s vice president indicated to a television station in New Orleans. Arnold Fielkow told WDSU-TV that Benson is maneuvering to strike a deal with the highest bidder and does not care how he is perceived in New Orleans, Louisiana and nationally.

Benson apparently does not care if he goes down in sports history as one of the most reviled owners ever, because that is how it will be.

To even think of abandoning a city in its hour of greatest need is contemptible, and NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue undoubtedly will make that clear to Benson in their discussions this week, if he hasn’t already.

And then this (http://www.wdsu.com/sports/4934334/detail.html).

The New Orleans Saints will play all home games and San Antonio and will not refund ticket holders, according to a high-ranking official with the team who contacted a WDSU sports reporter. An official announcement is expected in the next day or two.

critical_phil
9/7/2005, 11:44 AM
well if they move the team, please change the name (i.e. the Utah Jazz makes no damn sense whatsoever)

the Illegals would fit for either San Antonio or L.A.

mrowl
9/7/2005, 04:46 PM
he has to move the team, they won't have a stadium for another 4-6 years, and they can't always play at LSU, that wouldn't jive with the school or the NFL.

And who would go to the games in New Orleans or Baton Rouge? no one can afford to go now.... and for a few years probably.

I don't fault him for this...

mrowl
9/7/2005, 05:08 PM
forgot something...

there won't be any corporate money in that area for several years now, most will take up and leave.

GrapevineSooner
9/7/2005, 05:34 PM
Owl,

Those are certainly salient points. I just object to Benson openly courting other cities while his home city is lying in ruins right now while also refusing to refund his ticket holders back in N.O. I realize he's going to take quite a financial as it is, and refunding the money back to the season ticket holders would only further add to that hit.

But he can't possibly expect these ticket holders to drive 1000 miles round trip just to see their team play in San Antonio.

he has to move the team, they won't have a stadium for another 4-6 years, and they can't always play at LSU, that wouldn't jive with the school or the NFL.
The Cardinals have been playing at Arizona State's stadium for nearly 20 years. The Bears playing in Champaign for a year or two at the University of Illinois while Soldier Field was being renovated.

What's 4-6 years to the Saints?

Now granted, I'd have no problem with Benson if he talked with city and state leaders and made an honest attempt to stay in the state but chose to leave for a much better deal.

His actions, it would seem, make it appear that he can't get out of Louisiana fast enough.

mrowl
9/7/2005, 06:56 PM
There won't be the kind of money anywhere in Louisiana that can support an NFL team for a long time....

And I agree, he is trying to move the team as quick as he can. But the longer they go without a permanent home, the more money he has lost... its still just a business.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/7/2005, 10:04 PM
well if they move the team, please change the name (i.e. the Utah Jazz makes no damn sense whatsoever)
Well, if they do officially move they'll have to change the nickname, colors, etc. It's called the "Cleveland Browns Rule."