PDA

View Full Version : Hollis Price Lost Everything OU

BleedinSoonerRed
9/4/2005, 10:58 PM
Coach Sampson just said on the news that Hollis lost everything he had from OU. I want to start a drive to find anything from that era to get to him. Ideas?

TopDawg
9/4/2005, 10:58 PM
Hollis Price is a basketball player. ;)

GottaHavePride
9/4/2005, 11:00 PM
That f***in' SUCKS.

BleedinSoonerRed
9/4/2005, 11:13 PM
Hollis Price is a basketball player. ;)
And 100x more people will be viewing this thread over the next week.

BleedinSoonerRed
9/4/2005, 11:15 PM
I'm looking for team signed balls and such. If anyone has any, jerseys, 2002 Final Four stuff etc. I think we should find out where we can send it. They also haven't been able to make contact with his mom.

GottaHavePride
9/4/2005, 11:19 PM
I have a Final Four hat from that year - it isn't signed by anyone, though. I'd still be willing to throw it in. I don't think I had much of anything signed that year - I just hate bugging people for autographs. I'd much rather just shake their hand and tell them how much I appreciate them putting on the OU jerseys every game.

TopDawg
9/4/2005, 11:21 PM
Hollis was one of the nicest guys off the court that I knew during my tenure. Him and Kelly Newton. They were some of the only guys that recognized me every time they saw me and always said "hi." Even a few years later when I came back for grad school.

Norman Sooner
9/4/2005, 11:41 PM
I got the 5 minutes second half drought.......wait maybe that started after he left.....

BleedinSoonerRed
9/4/2005, 11:42 PM
Cool GHP.

I've got an email in to Coach. I'll get some idea on instructions about what we can do, how to collect things, etc. I know the guys here in Tulsa with Sports FanAttic and I'll bet I can get some ball cases and stuff. I have a few things from that time. Signed floor pieces from the old floor before the upgrade, etc. I also have emails into the SoonerScoop and Insiders guys. I can get all the Tulsa radio and tv newcasters on it later this week. Anyone know the OKC folks?

GottaHavePride
9/4/2005, 11:54 PM
Heck, just call in to the Sports Animal some morning (or better yet, afternoon or evening when Al is on air) and tell them what you're doing. Thye'll probably help you out, plus you'll get it all out on the air.

BleedinSoonerRed
9/5/2005, 12:00 AM
Email to Sampson:

Dear Coach,

After hearing of Hollis Price’s loss of all his OU memorabilia, we’re posting on some of the fan web sites that we’re trying to come up with stuff from that era to rebuild a collection of things for him. After what he gave us, we fans would like to give back to him. We do need one thing, a place to send it that could collect it and get it safely to him so this effort will be credible. Would you folks have somewhere to stash it until maybe we could present it to him some time in the future? We’d like to get the message out in the local media, too; but, we’re not about to do anything until we have some infrastructure here. We could probably get one of the sports memorabilia stores to do it, but wanted to check with you first.

Thanks a million for your fantastic representation of my alma mater both on our courts and off. Good work in Kuwait and God bless. Let Quanas and Hollis know they and their families are in our prayers.

Regards,
John W. Helander
President & CEO
eState Auction House Ltd.
6528 E. 101 St., Ste. 384
Tulsa, OK 74133
918-810-6947

P.S. We’ve already got it posted on SoonerFans.com and SoonerScoop.com as well as OUInsider.com will hopefully run with it too.

BleedinSoonerRed
9/5/2005, 12:01 AM
Heck, just call in to the Sports Animal some morning (or better yet, afternoon or evening when Al is on air) and tell them what you're doing. Thye'll probably help you out, plus you'll get it all out on the air.
As soon as I line up a place to collect everything, I'll post it here and start calling the media outlets. Good idea GHP.

GottaHavePride
9/5/2005, 12:03 AM
No prob. Hollis was always one of my favorite players here - right up there with Najera.

BleedinSoonerRed
9/5/2005, 12:05 AM
Ditto, I'll never forget when Najera had that head on collision and still played wobbling around.

BleedinSoonerRed
9/5/2005, 03:18 PM
Bump

GottaHavePride
9/5/2005, 03:44 PM
STABBY!

BleedinSoonerRed
9/5/2005, 07:20 PM
BTW, James Hale is on board over at Insiders. He's going to talk to Sampson too. See if we can get them to stock the stuff.

BleedinSoonerRed
9/6/2005, 01:05 PM
Here's OU's reply:

John,

I will pass the email on to Coach Sampson. I am Coach Sampson’s secretary and I am going to try to collect stuff in my garage and Mike Elmore will be getting a truck and coming to pick it all up this Friday morning to take it to Houston.

They need everything, all household items (dishes, silverware, pots and pans, any electrical applicances, bedding, pillow, blankets, furniture (couches, chairs, lamps, tables) all electrical (TV’s, etc.) beds, dressers, clothing (all sizes), gift cards to Walmart and Target or Sams. Anything that people want to give will be so appreciated.

Please keep me posted. We will also continue to collect and have items brought to our office. I’ll make a corner in our office that we can start collecting.

Thank you so much for your help in helping.

Renee Forney

BleedinSoonerRed
9/6/2005, 01:14 PM
I'll get specific direction up soon on where to ship stuff. They are also collecting other help that they will be shipping on Friday if you can get it to them by then.

SactoSooner
9/6/2005, 02:10 PM
I notified the San Francisco Bay Area OU Alumni Association's e-mail list and have directed them here for ongoing information. Hopefully we can spread the word through all of our connections!

soonergrad04
9/6/2005, 03:45 PM
Just let us know where to drop off the items for Hollis b/c I have candid, home pics of the guys right after their wins at the Ford Center before heading to the Sweet Sixteen in Syracuse.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/6/2005, 05:20 PM
Any word on Quannas White?

BleedinSoonerRed
9/6/2005, 06:55 PM
Don't know much on Quannas, though he is in Europe himself. Not sure about his family's situation. Working on getting housing lined up for folks. Some other alums I went to school with manage about 32,000 apartments mainly in Texas. I'm hoping we can pick up several to ease the situation. To get something like that done, is a lot more red tape. I'll keep you posted on it.

BleedinSoonerRed
9/6/2005, 07:02 PM
So, here's the dope:

Send anything that would help any evacuee (how do you spell that dang word?) to the basketball offices by Thursday 5:00 p.m. and they are taking a truck to Houston Friday morning.

For Hollis, send any item to the Basketball offices c/o Renee Forney (Sampson's Secretary). Note that it is for Hollis Price. I will post later about what we can do to help his 65 friends and family that are stuck in the two apartments as well as anything I can find out on Quannas situation or for that matter, Jammal Brown or any other former Sooner affected.

You guys are cool to help. Post what you send here, so that we can get an idea of what is already in hand.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/6/2005, 07:02 PM
I don't have anything from the Hollis era at OU, but if you need any money to help purchase anything needed in the replacement era, just tell me where to send it and I will contribute as much as I can!

BleedinSoonerRed
9/6/2005, 07:05 PM
That's one of the things about money, I need to make sure we have a way to account for it through a non-profit so that it can be a legit deduction for everyone. I hope to have that answer in the next two days. Thanks GTG.

ultimatesooner1
9/6/2005, 11:02 PM
I think that we should all donate cash and let Hollis and Quannas decide how to distribute it. I am sure that they both have bigger losses to deal with right now

FaninAma
9/7/2005, 09:35 AM
Not to sound like an @$$....well actually I do intend to sound like an @$$, but isn't Hollis playing BB in the European league? Don't those guys make pretty decent money...maybe not NBA type money but more money that 99.9% of us who post on this board make?

Realizing this, why should I part with any of my OU memoralbilia when Hollis can go out and buy whatever memoralbilia he wants or with his connections to rich donors get them to cough up some momentos?

Now if you're talking about donating memoralbilia to raise cash for the poor in NO then that's different.

BleedinSoonerRed
9/7/2005, 10:24 AM
Just out of curiousity, how far do you think "good money" is going to go in supporting yourself, buying memorabila (probably the last thing on his mind) and helping his 65 displaced friends and family that also lost EVERTHING and are living in 2 apartments in (I believe) it's Muskogee. 40 are living in one and 25 in the other.

Now keep in mind, you need to replace beds, clothes, blankets, brooms, toiletries, food, tv's, jobs and everything for all of them. Whatcha think the tabs gonna be for that? Because those folks he came from ARE the poor, remember?

P.S. They still haven't found his mother as of last report.

FaninAma
9/7/2005, 12:01 PM
Just out of curiousity, how far do you think "good money" is going to go in supporting yourself, buying memorabila (probably the last thing on his mind) and helping his 65 displaced friends and family that also lost EVERTHING and are living in 2 apartments in (I believe) it's Muskogee. 40 are living in one and 25 in the other.

Now keep in mind, you need to replace beds, clothes, blankets, brooms, toiletries, food, tv's, jobs and everything for all of them. Whatcha think the tabs gonna be for that? Because those folks he came from ARE the poor, remember?

P.S. They still haven't found his mother as of last report.
I agree with everything you posted. Replacing Hollis' Sooner memoralbilia seems like a pretty low priority. The people who have lost everything need serious financial help and I think that is done best through legitimate charity organizations. I have donated $500 to the Lutheran NO relief fund plus I have volunteered any of my services to the organization if they think I might be of help.

Sorry if i come off as unfeeling but I thought the concerns addressed in this thread were misplaced.

If you want to sell off your Sooner memoralbilia and donate the proceeds to the relief effort then I think that's commendable.....very, very commendable.

BleedinSoonerRed
9/7/2005, 12:17 PM
Latest update:

We have the apartments lined up thanks to Greystar Properties! Thanks to Kin Oldham alum of 1984. They are already working with FEMA and are going to help get everything done ASAP for us. We do need cash to help with everything else, though. Here are the details from Renee (send the money to them):

John,

Here I am. Okay – I need your help ASAP in trying to find a 3 bedroom apartment for Hollis’ grandparents, George & Ann Carraby.

We are asking that people donate money or gift cards for the family. If we can find an apartment for them, they will need to pay rent, utilities, buy food, etc. and will need help for this. They have family, friends and neighbors that are all together in these 2 apartments. (25 in one and 40 in another).

People can send donations to our office to my attention and I am keeping a list for the family and we’ll send them with Mike and Franna to Houston when they go. Please keep me updated.

Renee Forney
Coach Sampson's Assistant
University of Oklahoma
Men's Basketball
405-325-8302
405-325-7562-Fax

BleedinSoonerRed
9/7/2005, 02:27 PM
BTW, any check's can be made payable to George Carraby, Hollis' grandfather, or you can just send a giftcard. In kind-gifts should be in by 5:00 p.m. Thursday, as they as planning to get a truck out Friday morning. Once they are settle in Houson, more items can be donated and sent to the address down there. Thanks again for everyone's support. Send this out to all the OU fans you know.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/7/2005, 04:25 PM
If they are looking for housing, they need to look at this website http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/

It is the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs

search the TDHCA website for vacancies (http://hrc-ic.tdhca.state.tx.us/hrc/DisasterHousing.m)

If they or anyone else is looking for anything in Oklahoma, PM me and I can give some suggestions locally.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/7/2005, 04:29 PM
I have forward the information to Renee.

BleedinSoonerRed
9/16/2005, 11:31 PM
Campaign makes the OU Daily...

Link (http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/09/15/432a422e6e2e6?in_archive=1)

OUstud
12/3/2005, 07:28 PM
Uh...never mind. Don't know how this was posted, someone must have hacked in or something.