PDA

View Full Version : Please keep my wife's grandpa in your prayers

Sooner_Bob
8/31/2005, 09:42 PM
He fell a few weeks ago and now is showing signs of blood on/around his brain. Due to past health conditions he's not in good enough shape to undergo surgery right now so they're trying some medication to help things along. I don't have a whole lot of additional details yet, my wife is on her way home from seeing him down in Norman.

I'll try to post more info as it comes along.

Thanks.

IB4OU2
8/31/2005, 09:44 PM
He'll be in my prayers Bob. God Bless.

StoopTroup
8/31/2005, 09:49 PM
No problem Bob.

God Bless.

Norm In Norman
8/31/2005, 10:00 PM
I'll hope for the best.

IR4OU
8/31/2005, 10:16 PM
May God be with you and the family bro, I pray he gets better.

Geekboy
8/31/2005, 10:23 PM
Done.

GottaHavePride
8/31/2005, 11:51 PM
Here's hoping.

SactoSooner
9/1/2005, 12:25 AM
Sending lots of prayers to Grandpa...have a concussion myself thanks to falling down a flight of stairs a few nights ago.

nmsoonergirl
9/1/2005, 12:49 AM
Keep us posted. I'll be sending you good thougths.

OU4LIFE
9/1/2005, 06:59 AM
that sucks Bob, I'll pray for the best man. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

crawfish
9/1/2005, 07:41 AM
He (and you and your wife) are in our thoughts and prayers.

usmc-sooner
9/1/2005, 07:42 AM
done

Sooner_Bob
9/1/2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks everyone.

The doctors are telling us that it is a life and death thing. As I mentioned earlier he physically (history of heart problems, he's apparently more anemic than they like) can't undergo surgery right now so hopefully the medicine will work.

At this point I'd venture to guess that if he had to have surgery it'd be on Monday or Tuesday.

leavingthezoo
9/1/2005, 12:30 PM
bob, i missed this yesterday. :(

know prayers are going up on several fronts from this area. hope grandpa responds well to the meds. hug the wife for us, too. if you make her hug back, then it will be like a group hug. ;)

Flagstaffsooner
9/1/2005, 12:57 PM
Players from the Holy Mountain, Bob.

Sooner_Bob
9/1/2005, 01:05 PM
bob, i missed this yesterday. :(

know prayers are going up on several fronts from this area. hope grandpa responds well to the meds. hug the wife for us, too. if you make her hug back, then it will be like a group hug. ;)

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/buttons/reputation.gif

Sooner_Bob
9/1/2005, 01:05 PM
that sucks Bob, I'll pray for the best man. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Sooner_Bob
9/1/2005, 01:06 PM
I'll hope for the best.

Sooner_Bob
9/4/2005, 10:14 AM
The latest on my wife's grandpa.

During surgery this morning (Saturday) my wife's grandfather went into cardiac arrest while the doctor was removing the blood clot. The doctor had to stop surgery without replacing part of his skull and only removing half of the blood clot. The doctor had also cut into the sack that surrounds the brain so there is a possibility of the blood clot leaking into his brain. While a pace maker was being placed her grandfather's lung was punctured . For now her grandfather is on a ventilator and we are waiting to see if any kidney damage was done. The doctor is waiting 24-48 hours to see if my grandfather becomes responsive and is able to finish the surgery. Her grandfather has come farther and is doing better then they thought he would. Please continue to keep him, the doctors, and our family in your prayers.

GottaHavePride
9/4/2005, 10:38 AM
Oh man. Here's hoping for steady fingers for the doctors - surgery like that can be tricky.

Flagstaffsooner
9/4/2005, 10:59 AM
More prayers, Bob. That's all I can do.

Sooner_Bob
9/4/2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks again guys. My wife headed back down to Norman to see him today.

BajaOklahoma
9/7/2005, 12:56 AM
I just saw this. How is he doing, Bob?

King Crimson
9/7/2005, 02:09 AM
i'm all about grammaws and grampaws. they are the BEST.

jk the sooner fan
9/7/2005, 06:32 AM
our prayers for you and your family, hang in there

crawfish
9/7/2005, 07:31 AM
Man...continued prayers. :(

Howzit
9/7/2005, 07:47 AM
Sorry, Bob. I'm thinking about your family.

sooner_born_1960
9/7/2005, 08:00 AM
You and your family are in my prayers.

Sooner_Bob
9/7/2005, 10:22 PM
Here's another couple of updates . . .

From 9/5:

I wanted to update you on my wife's grandfather's condition. He is breathing on his own and is very responsive to everyone. He still has the temporary pace maker but his heart is working on its own for now. He ate his first meal today since before the surgery on Saturday. The doctors plan to do surgery tomorrow for a permanent pace maker because they still aren't sure why his heart stopped during surgery. They plan to finish surgery to remove the rest of the blood clot on Friday or Saturday. Please add safe travels for my family to your prayers. We are all driving anywhere from 30-90 miles to be with him and wife's grandmother.

From 9/7:

My wife's grandfather is having his surgery tomorrow (9/8) at around 3 pm to remove the rest of the blood clot. The doctor is going to keep the temporary pace maker through the surgery. My grandfather needs a special pace maker that only a few doctors put in so he will be sent to Oklahoma City for the permanent one. Your prayers have meant so much through this difficult time.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers. He's really doin' great considering. The first thing he asked me about on Monday was how I thought OU looked against TCU. He's one tough WWII vet . . .

nmsoonergirl
9/7/2005, 10:26 PM
Wow, what a week for you and your family.
I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts. Sounds like strong guy. Be sure you let him know a bunch of Sooner fans are rooting for him!

Sooner_Bob
9/28/2005, 02:07 PM
Still not much change. He made it through a couple of more surgeries ok, but we're not sure when he'll be sent home yet. My wife's grandma hasn't been home once in well over a month. She's so scared that something will happen if she leaves the hospital.

I do know that he's pretty hacked off to still be in a hospital bed. He'd much rather be out on the lake checkin' his jug lines.

MamaMia
9/28/2005, 02:34 PM
I will keep your wifes Grandpa in my prayers.

Sooner_Bob
1/8/2006, 05:23 PM
It's been a while since I provided an update . . . thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts and prayers. The last few months have been full of ups and downs with Grandpa. He got to come home right after Christmas and then has had some difficulties and had to be put back in the hospital.

Apparently the pacemaker that was "installed" was contaminated and he now has a pretty bad bacterial infection, most likely a Staph infection of some kind and it is causing him to have a pretty high fever and stuff. It's looking like they will have to go in one day this week and remove the pacemaker.

We're afraid he's not strong enough to undergo further surgeries and not sure how he'll do. So if you can you might just say another quick prayer that if it's God's plan for him to pull through that he will or if he's been through enough that he'll get to have some peace. Most of my wife's family has been preparing for this time, but the old bugger is about as strong as anyone I've ever seen. Just when we think he won't pull through he does. The doctors have said many times that his will to live is the only thing keeping him alive. But at his age he can only hold on for so long.

I'll provide more details as they are available.

Thanks again.

olevetonahill
1/8/2006, 06:11 PM
Done
Yall be as strong as he is .

OUthunder
1/8/2006, 06:32 PM
Done!

IB4OU2
1/8/2006, 11:17 PM
It's been a while since I provided an update . . . thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts and prayers. The last few months have been full of ups and downs with Grandpa. He got to come home right after Christmas and then has had some difficulties and had to be put back in the hospital.

Apparently the pacemaker that was "installed" was contaminated and he now has a pretty bad bacterial infection, most likely a Staph infection of some kind and it is causing him to have a pretty high fever and stuff. It's looking like they will have to go in one day this week and remove the pacemaker.

We're afraid he's not strong enough to undergo further surgeries and not sure how he'll do. So if you can you might just say another quick prayer that if it's God's plan for him to pull through that he will or if he's been through enough that he'll get to have some peace. Most of my wife's family has been preparing for this time, but the old bugger is about as strong as anyone I've ever seen. Just when we think he won't pull through he does. The doctors have said many times that his will to live is the only thing keeping him alive. But at his age he can only hold on for so long.

I'll provide more details as they are available.

Thanks again.

I will Pray for your Grandpa and GodBless you and family my friend.

GottaHavePride
1/8/2006, 11:29 PM
Holy cow. Here's hoping it's a non-resistant staph strain.

Sooner_Bob
2/2/2006, 07:54 PM
Well my wife's grandpa finally had enough and passed away in his sleep last night. He'll be missed, but he's no longer suffering.

Thanks again for all of your kind words and prayers during this time.

Bobby

Tailwind
2/2/2006, 08:09 PM
So sorry to hear that, Bob. Are you guys and the Gramma ok?

crawfish
2/2/2006, 08:42 PM
My condolences, Bob. :(

OklahomaTrombone
2/2/2006, 08:54 PM
:(

bigdsooner
2/2/2006, 09:01 PM
so sorry to hear that bob. may God rest his soul
prayers for your family

BajaOklahoma
2/2/2006, 09:05 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.

OU-HSV
2/2/2006, 09:12 PM
Sad news Bob..my thoughts are w/you & your family

IB4OU2
2/2/2006, 10:41 PM
Well my wife's grandpa finally had enough and passed away in his sleep last night. He'll be missed, but he's no longer suffering.

Thanks again for all of your kind words and prayers during this time.

Bobby

I'm Sorry Bob. My thoughts and prayers will be for you and your family.

Howzit
2/2/2006, 10:46 PM
Verry, very sorry Bobby. You hold your wife tight and help her remember the good times with her grandpa.

Sooner_Bob
2/2/2006, 10:47 PM
I think we're doing ok on our end and my wife is on the phone with her older sister right now.

I've been asked to read an essay written by another of his granddaughters at the funeral on Saturday . . . in my Service Dress Blues. I'm freakin' nervous as a loon, but honored at the same time. I really hope I do the essay justice.

Hopefully I'll be able to handle it . . .

Thanks again.

Tailwind
2/2/2006, 10:56 PM
Keep strong, brother. If you break down at some point, it's only to be expected. I think it is so good of you to do that. He must've been a helluva man.

IB4OU2
2/2/2006, 11:00 PM
I think we're doing ok on our end and my wife is on the phone with her older sister right now.

I've been asked to read an essay written by another of his granddaughters at the funeral on Saturday. Hopefully I'll be able to handle it . . .

Thanks again.

I bet the family and he will enjoy hearing you read it. Be strong buddy.

Norm In Norman
2/2/2006, 11:04 PM
Sorry man.

Flagstaffsooner
2/4/2006, 06:57 AM

I've been asked to read an essay written by another of his granddaughters at the funeral on Saturday . . . in my Service Dress Blues. I'm freakin' nervous as a loon, but honored at the same time. I really hope I do the essay justice.

Hopefully I'll be able to handle it . . .

Thanks again.
Do it Bob, you are a good man doing a good man justice. My thoughts are with you.

olevetonahill
2/4/2006, 01:11 PM
Just found this thread again
Sorry Bob thoughts and prayers your way

MamaMia
2/4/2006, 03:07 PM
I will say a prayer for your wifes grandpa and for your family.May Gods love comfort you all.

85Sooner
2/4/2006, 03:08 PM
God bless the family and give the doctors the knowledge to help him out.

pb4ou
2/4/2006, 03:37 PM
condolences

2/4/2006, 04:04 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. He'll be ok. I hope to thank him in spirit one day.

Sooner_Bob
2/7/2006, 09:53 PM
Boy, am I glad that's over. I had trouble sleeping the night before and was pretty nervous and stuff, but then I started thinking about how nobody in their right mind would say something to me even if I did act a little nervous. Believe it or not that calmed me down and when I got up there things couldn't have gone smoother. I was pretty surprised when I made it through the essay.

Of course when we got to the grave site the Chickasaw Nation Honor Guard was there and asked if I would present the flag to my wife's grandma. Not something I was expecting, but I gladly accepted and was honored to do so.

I think I did him proud.

IB4OU2
2/7/2006, 10:47 PM
Bob, there was never any doubt you could handle that and I'm sure he was proud. Welcome back!

OU-HSV
2/7/2006, 11:00 PM
Good job Bob..you stepped up and did an awesome job and I'm sure your family is proud.

pb4ou
2/7/2006, 11:01 PM
Agreed. Spek to you.