PDA

View Full Version : Metallica succs

Norm In Norman
11/18/2003, 04:39 PM
Let's see what your opinion about them is.

scotplum
11/18/2003, 04:40 PM
My opinion is:

They succ

OUthunder
11/18/2003, 04:40 PM
Motley Crue kicked there arses back in the day!

Howzit
11/18/2003, 04:41 PM
A bunch of whippersnappers.

Norm In Norman
11/18/2003, 04:43 PM
Sorry - it takes a while to make a poll. GO VOTE!

crawfish
11/18/2003, 04:44 PM
Where is the "who cares" option?

Rhino
11/18/2003, 04:45 PM
Although you must consider the source, I believe Jonathan Davis of Korn said it best when asked about Metallica's new album:

"I think it's the ****tiest thing I ever heard in my life!" he said. "I respect those guys immensely since some of those songs are great. Some of that **** sounds like it's beginners' ****. I understand they're going for a new raw and heavy sound, but that's just ****. I don't get it. I like some of the songs, it's cool and it's not [me] talking **** [about them] at all, but the production is just horrible. I know what they're trying to get across, but Lars [Ulrich]'s snare drum is the most irritating thing I've heard in my whole life."

That's alot of ****s.

Sooner-Loy
11/18/2003, 04:46 PM
Load & Reload

Norm In Norman
11/18/2003, 04:46 PM
Where is the "who cares" option?

It is in the form of "They all succ".

btw, this article (http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=musicNews&storyID=3839437) is what spawned this poll.

OUthunder
11/18/2003, 04:55 PM
Master of Puppets was pretty good then it went downhill from there!

Kinda like Motley Crue after Shout at The Devil. Too much sex, drugs, booze and not enuff rock n roll!

crawfish
11/18/2003, 05:07 PM
Wait...is "succ" bad or good? Or is it as in "bad, as in good"?

I've got a heck of a lot of studying to do for my impending mid-life crisis.

Norm In Norman
11/18/2003, 05:09 PM
Succ = "Sucks monkey balls."
Suck = "That hot chick sucks."

Paperclip
11/18/2003, 05:09 PM
Too late.

Beano's Fourth Chin
11/18/2003, 05:10 PM
I think I'm winning.

Pricetag
11/18/2003, 05:56 PM
Everything up to and including the Black Album was great, IMO. I know a lot of folks don't appreciate the Black Album, and consider it when Metallica began to sell out, but I never would have gotten into heavy metal without it. I got it, then went backwards through Metallica's albums.

I like Megadeth better, though.

Big Red Ron
11/18/2003, 06:11 PM
Metalica is one of the greatest bands in the history of "heavey Metal" their albums have gotten progressively worse since "And Justice for All" but that happens to most bands.

Big Red Ron
11/18/2003, 06:13 PM
Motley Crue kicked there arses back in the day! :rolleyes: Motley Crew??? Not even in the same ballpark.

That is like saying Aerosmith is better than Led Zepplin.

OUthunder
11/18/2003, 06:29 PM
Metalica is one of the greatest bands in the history of "heavey Metal" their albums have gotten progressively worse since "And Justice for All" but that happens to most bands.

You have got to be kidding me ...right? They have always sucked major ***! BTW, this ignore thingy is GREAAAAAAAAAAT!

Sooner_Bob
11/18/2003, 06:35 PM
I like a few of their songs, but overall I'd say they've started succing big time lately, but especially when they began to focus more on Napster than their music.

Big Red Ron
11/18/2003, 07:10 PM
You have got to be kidding me ...right? They have always sucked major ***! BTW, this ignore thingy is GREAAAAAAAAAAT!There wouldn't be a "heavy Metal" catigory, if not for Metalica, Megadeath, Slayer, and a few others.

Motley Crew isn't even close to Heavy Metal.

Your "Street Cred" is blown to hell after this one.

OUthunder
11/18/2003, 07:47 PM
There wouldn't be a "heavy Metal" catigory, if not for Metalica, Megadeath, Slayer, and a few others.

LOL! OK! OK! Maybe we just have a different opinion on the term "Heavy Metal" But most "experts" consider Motley Crue & Metallica as heavy Metal bands!

I think that Motley Crue, NOT Metallica, set the mood for hard rock in this country! Have you ever listened to Shout At The Devil or Too Fast For Love? They are very heavy and as heavy as any Metallica album and very comparable to Master Of Puppets or Ride the Lightening!!!

I will admit that the Crue mellowed out, while Metallica stayed fairly heavy but they eventually mellowed out as well! There new album sucks and it spells the end of them! I also believe that both bands music is dated and they will eventually both make a comeback when the audience is tired of lip-sinking skanks and drug dealing rappers!

I also feel that the Napster thing KILLED there credibility with there fans and of future fans! I knew it turned me off!!!

As for Led Zepplin & Aerosmith ...they are both way before my time but both ROCK! I do know that Aerosmith has longevity on them!

DrunkCajunSooner
11/18/2003, 07:56 PM
St. Anger sucks fat donkey...foot

Big Red Ron
11/18/2003, 08:06 PM
Led Zepplin is for men, Aerosmith is for women.

Zepplin came quite a bit before Aerosmith, thus the reason why they are still hurting my ears and my eyes.

Motley Crue was pretty decent after thier first 2 albums but after that, "CHICK ROCK" is the only way to describe them.

SoonerProphet
11/18/2003, 08:06 PM
I too voted for Master of Puppets.

Boarder
11/18/2003, 08:09 PM
I think that Motley Crue, NOT Metallica, set the mood for hard rock in this country! Have you ever listened to Shout At The Devil or Too Fast For Love?

They are very heavy and as heavy as any Metallica album and very comparable to Master Of Puppets or Ride the Lightening!!!

As for Led Zepplin & Aerosmith ...they are both way before my time but both ROCK! I do know that Aerosmith has longevity on them!

You are either kidding, have lost your mind, or are seriously uninformed.

Up to Black are good. Progressively worse with Justice and after. Load and Reload are listenable, but the new stuff just is horrible. I agree with the Korn guy, the snare drum is just...beyond annoying.

Ride the Lightning is the best. Fade To Black, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Trapped Under Ice, and so on, and so forth.

Big Red Ron
11/18/2003, 08:10 PM
I too voted for Master of Puppets.psst, you could have voted for as many of those albums as you thought were good. Probably just the first 4 or 5. ;)

OUthunder
11/18/2003, 08:16 PM
You are either kidding, have lost your mind, or are seriously uninformed.

Up to Black are good. Progressively worse with Justice and after. Load and Reload are listenable, but the new stuff just is horrible. I agree with the Korn guy, the snare drum is just...beyond annoying.

Ride the Lightning is the best. Fade To Black, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Trapped Under Ice, and so on, and so forth.

LOL! Everyone is intitled to there own opinion but I disagree with you and I'm pretty informed ...I think! ;)

I do agree with you that Ride the Lightening was there best album!

BTW, I thought Dr. Feelgood was pretty heavy! Oh well ...just an opinion!

Big Red Ron
11/18/2003, 08:32 PM
BTW, I thought Dr. Feelgood was pretty heavy! Oh well ...just an opinion! Dude, I bet you thought Jethro Tull deserved the best hard rock Grammy.

Dr. Feelgood is about as heavy as Poison's "Look what the Cat Dragged in" :rolleyes:

Boarder
11/18/2003, 08:45 PM
I want action, tonight! Satisfaction, ALL RIGHT!

:D

I have an idea for a new poll...who is heavier:

1. Metallica circa Ride The Lightning
2. Motley Crue circa Shout At The Devil

hehe

OUthunder
11/18/2003, 08:46 PM
Dude, I bet you thought Jethro Tull deserved the best hard rock Grammy.

Dr. Feelgood is about as heavy as Poison's "Look what the Cat Dragged in" :rolleyes:

Nope! That was a sham! Comparing the Crue and Poison is like comparing apples and oranges!

SoonerProphet
11/18/2003, 08:50 PM
psst, you could have voted for as many of those albums as you thought were good. Probably just the first 4 or 5. ;)

No, anything after Master succs.

OUThunder, why I respect every ones opinion Shout at the Devil, or even, lord Dr. Feelgood, could be considered Heavy Metal, please venture to the nearest store and pick up a copy of Black Sabbath Paranoid or Vol. 4. You will find the answers you seek.

Al Gore
11/18/2003, 09:27 PM
Slim Whitman kicks everyones ***!!!

OUthunder
11/18/2003, 10:00 PM
I'm a blues-jazz man myself these days! I used to listen to that type of music but I've mellowed! I'm sure Black Sabbath is as heavy as you suggest! But, I've never been much of an Ozzy fan!

Kimberlyz4OU
11/18/2003, 10:04 PM
major succage!

Stoop Dawg
11/18/2003, 10:13 PM
I'm finding it increasingly easy to rate music thanks to you guys.

If it sells, it succs.

Now, where do I apply for my job as a music critic?

Boarder
11/18/2003, 10:32 PM
Who is heavier?

Nickelback
or
Rammstein

Boarder
11/18/2003, 10:33 PM
Pantera
or
3 Doors Down

Norm In Norman
11/18/2003, 10:59 PM
Nelson
or
Death

Boarder
11/18/2003, 11:03 PM
hehe

http://www.aros.net/~gr8escap/twins.jpg

or

http://kjhk.rockkansas.com/reviews/images/gwar.jpg

GrapevineSooner
11/19/2003, 10:27 AM
Sevendust

or

Matchbox 20.

Personally, Garage Days Revisited, is my favorite. Even though it was recorded in a ***ty studio.

Pricetag
11/19/2003, 10:42 AM
You know, despite their appearance, GWAR really isn't all that heavy. Their stuff that I've heard is definitely more hard rock type stuff.

Norm In Norman
11/19/2003, 10:52 AM
Sorry, I didn't put unreleased EPs on there. I guess you are stuck with garage days re-revisited.

Big Red Ron
11/19/2003, 12:46 PM
major succage!Chicks who listen to Metalica aren't the type you bring home to meet Mom.

So, you must be okay! ;)

mentalkase
11/19/2003, 02:32 PM
Motley Crue kicked there arses back in the day!
Now that's like funny..

Cam
11/19/2003, 02:57 PM
To even suggest that Motley Crue was/is even near as heavy as Metallica during the Ride The Lightning/Master Of Puppets days can only be classified as being way off base. Listen to the two back to back and it's pretty easy to tell that Metallica was/is much harder than Motley Crue ever dreamed of being. I like'em both, but they're not in the same catagory.

sooner_lovin_freak
5/17/2004, 10:34 PM
Metallica is awesome live.... until you see that you can't judge them.....their live concert sounds better than you will ever hear them!!!!!

Bourbon St Sooner
5/18/2004, 08:17 AM

Kinda like Motley Crue after Shout at The Devil. Too much sex, drugs, booze and not enuff rock n roll!

Dude, it was when they were into the sex, drugs and booze that their music was great. It was when they all started to marry and settle down that they fell apart. But, oh well, I'm still paying $75 for floor tickets to see them.

yermom
8/15/2004, 03:04 PM
the show was good, i think my ears are still ringing from the pyrotechnics from One

the dueling drum solos was the highlight of the Godsmack set

TheUnnamedSooner
8/15/2004, 03:17 PM
the show was good, i think my ears are still ringing from the pyrotechnics from One

the dueling drum solos was the highlight of the Godsmack set

I completely agree with both points. I was on the floor next to the stage, those pyros were the loudest I've ever heard and i've been to 19 Met shows

Scott D
8/15/2004, 04:21 PM
St. Anger should have been available only through file sharing as Metallica should have paid fans to take the album :)

TheUnnamedSooner
8/15/2004, 08:32 PM
I have mixed feelings about St. Anger. There is some good stuff in there, but why the hell didn't they clean it up? I mean come on, is Lars banging on an empty oil drum?

Norm In Norman
8/15/2004, 08:59 PM
Wow. i have no idea which album you listened to, but there isn't any good stuff on there. And no, Lars is beating on an empty 5 gallon pickle bucket.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/15/2004, 09:22 PM
Don't get me wrong, it doesn't compare to the first 3 albums, but clean up the songs a little bit, make the snare sound like a snare, and there are some damn good songs on it

Norm In Norman
8/15/2004, 09:38 PM
MAYBE there are some songs on there that sound better than the normal crap being pushed on us these days. But that's like saying "Oooo - that ferrari mini-van is COOL!" Sure, maybe it's cool compared to other mini-vans, but do you want to be the dork who bought a mini-van made by ferrari? I think not. You want to be the cool guy driving the ferrari enzo around because, well, it's the best.

Scott D
8/15/2004, 11:36 PM
The only mixed feelings I had on St. Anger was whether or not it was going to go in the trash compactor or used as a coaster.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/16/2004, 12:43 AM
besides the obvious tuning on the drum and maybe a lil cleaning up, what was it about the album that you guys hate so much? IMO it's the best thing they have put out sin AJFO....

Norm In Norman
8/16/2004, 08:13 AM
First off, they spent several years on that album. How much damn time do they need to clean it up? Second off, the songs sound like Metallica trying to be cool, not Metallica being Metallica. When you listen to stuff through AJFA (and some of the Black album), there is always some little part in the songs that makes you go "Oooo - that was weird. Cool." It's not that way any more.

Start off with Kirk. It's like one day he said "Hey - everybody is using this wah peddle. I think I will too!" And now it's in every song.

Next Lars. One day he said "Hey - they don't call that the standard rock beat for nothing. I think I'll start playing that!" Boom - it's in every song.

James. His problem is that he heard everyone singing and decided that since he has the word singer beside his name in the liner that he is a singer. Guess what? HE ISN'T A SINGER! HE'S A SCREAMER! Then I guess he had Every Rose Has It's Thorn cranked up and decided he needed to get in touch with his feelings. WTF? Metallica doesn't have feelings!

And the bass player? Where do I begin. First off, Metallica plays with a pick. Period. 95% downstrokes. Enough said. Next off, the biggest Metallica fan in the world WAS Jason Newstead. It was his DREAM to play in Metallica. You know something is ****ed up when he can be ran out of his favorite band.

To sum up - it just isn't Metallica anymore. Hell, look at the logo and see if it is still Metallica.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/16/2004, 09:05 AM
Word. Preach it, Brother Norm...

Boarder
8/16/2004, 09:11 AM
Very good review, Norm. Very good.

What I hate about St Anger (and yes, I bought it, listened several times, and really gave it a chance) was how every song was disjointed. Just JAM! You finally start to jam and BOOM, they stop and do something else. At least in AJFA, the songs were so long you had some sort of continutiy going on before the complete tempo change.

It sounds like they are trying WAAAY too hard. I don't know, it is just horrible and it hurts my ears. And, I really wanted to like it. I'm a huge Metallica fan from way back, but was very disappointed. First the symphony crap, now this.

Thanksfully, I can just listen to everything AJFA and previous and be happy.

And, the snare is so annoying, that alone is reason enough to completely hate the album. I think it's actually a car hood.

caphorns
8/16/2004, 09:26 AM
Motley Crue - hot chick rock
Metallica - masturbatory dork rock

I'd rather go to a Motley Crue concert (because of the high stripper quota), but from a technical, musical standpoint - Metallica wins no question. Lord, there are ugly chicks at Metallica shows though. I have to avert my eyes at some of the boobies popping out (usually very uneven, white and floppy). For those not into the metal scene, the crowd is kind of similar to the dorks that worship Rush (although I understand hearing that live RED BARACHETTAH is just too tempting for many DORKS). I voted for Mastah of Puppets (knowing it is supremely dorky) because it's an iconic heavy metal album that will rock your pimply face off.

Real world - skip both; really all 3 - and find some music that is more interesting. Talk to KC if you have to.

GDC
8/16/2004, 09:48 AM
This person is on your Ignore List. [View Post] [Un-Ignore User]

You just crossed the line, pinhead. **** you.

Fugue
8/16/2004, 09:57 AM
they peaked with AJFA, down the crapper ever since.

Norm In Norman
8/16/2004, 10:25 AM
Very good review, Norm. Very good.

What I hate about St Anger (and yes, I bought it, listened several times, and really gave it a chance) was how every song was disjointed. Just JAM! You finally start to jam and BOOM, they stop and do something else. At least in AJFA, the songs were so long you had some sort of continutiy going on before the complete tempo change.

It sounds like they are trying WAAAY too hard. I don't know, it is just horrible and it hurts my ears. And, I really wanted to like it. I'm a huge Metallica fan from way back, but was very disappointed. First the symphony crap, now this.

Thanksfully, I can just listen to everything AJFA and previous and be happy.

And, the snare is so annoying, that alone is reason enough to completely hate the album. I think it's actually a car hood.

I downloaded the whole album out of spite. I have listened to it about 6 or 7 times trying to like it also, seeing that the record companies told me they were going back to their roots. I don't even know if I have deleted it off my hard drive because I am so apathetic about it I never bothered to look for it again.

The symphony stuff COULD have been cool, IMO. They really screwed it up though. The new stuff from there was better than the rest of the stuff.

caphorns
8/16/2004, 10:27 AM
You just crossed the line, pinhead. **** you.

heh. intended target.

KC//CRIMSON
8/16/2004, 10:52 AM
PHIL! Are you going to let a whorn get away with calling you a DORK? In all caps no less! I would say "we" but "you" sounds more self-incriminating :D

caphorns
8/16/2004, 11:17 AM
alright - who all have I offended?

Scott D
8/16/2004, 11:38 AM
I downloaded it also out of spite, and I think it was the thing I was most happy about 'losing' when I reformatted that hard drive. Norm's review pretty much nailed the problem with Metallica head on. I have no problem with a band that is 'growing' and having their 'sound grow with them' however, there's growing, and there's drinking all of your intelligent creative brain cells away. I still think the fire in Montreal burned James' soul away.

At least Megadeth quit while they were ahead.

Fugue
8/16/2004, 12:03 PM
I downloaded it also out of spite, and I think it was the thing I was most happy about 'losing' when I reformatted that hard drive. Norm's review pretty much nailed the problem with Metallica head on. I have no problem with a band that is 'growing' and having their 'sound grow with them' however, there's growing, and there's drinking all of your intelligent creative brain cells away. I still think the fire in Montreal burned James' soul away.

At least Megadeth quit while they were ahead.

good point about Megadeth who I believe turned out to be the better band, especially when they weren't singing. Even in their worst songs there is a cool jam part.

Norm In Norman
8/16/2004, 12:05 PM
There is only so much of Dave Mustaine's voice I can stand.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/16/2004, 12:06 PM
Yep - kinda like that annoying squeaking of styrofoam when you unpack something.

Fugue
8/16/2004, 12:08 PM
There is only so much of Dave Mustaine's voice I can stand.

I totally agree, they are much more fun to listen to when they just jam. Some of it is fairly intricate.

Phil
8/16/2004, 12:40 PM
alright - who all have I offended?

Ahem. Watch yourself, boy, or I'll sic the Mounties on ya. They're from Canada, too, ya know.

Fugue
8/16/2004, 12:55 PM
Yep - kinda like that annoying squeaking of styrofoam when you unpack something.

i missed this before, that's perfect! :D

by the way, i'm revising an earlier comment. I'm listening to "Risk" right now and it all sucks.

Norm In Norman
8/16/2004, 01:16 PM
I just read back through this thread. Was there really a discussion going over who is heavier: Motley Crue or Metallica? Wow.

Boarder
8/16/2004, 01:19 PM
I just read back through this thread. Was there really a discussion going over who is heavier: Motley Crue or Metallica? Wow.

Not so much a discussion as a mockery of OU Thunder.

Fugue
8/16/2004, 01:19 PM
yep, you can really mosh to "Home Sweet Home"

KC//CRIMSON
8/16/2004, 01:29 PM
I saw Metallica on the Ride the Lightening tour in Tulsa, Ok at the Cains Ballroom, and folks it doesn't get any heavier than that/back then...... :cool:

Norm In Norman
8/16/2004, 01:39 PM
Nobody ever answered my Nelson vs Death debate.

Which if you've never heard "Death", then you don't know how funny this is.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/16/2004, 03:04 PM
I thought it was Gwar.

Norm In Norman
8/16/2004, 03:17 PM
No, Boarder posted a picture of Gwar vs Nelson. I was wanting to know about...

The answer is Nelson, you know...

Sooner_Bob
8/16/2004, 04:42 PM
I only listen to Nelson after the rain . . .

OUengr
8/16/2004, 08:15 PM
And the bass player? Where do I begin. First off, Metallica plays with a pick. Period. 95% downstrokes. Enough said.

Actually, Cliff, the bassist on the first 3 albums, didn't use a pick. Otherwise, I agree with the rest of your post.

Norm In Norman
8/16/2004, 09:11 PM
Well I'll be damned. Some kind of Metallica fan I am. I guess I haven't watched Cliff 'Em All enough. I need it on DVD or something. Of course, I can't buy a new version becasue that would be supporting Satan.

http://corbeau73.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/cliffwall.jpg

Scott D
8/16/2004, 09:24 PM
Cliff didn't know people used picks.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/17/2004, 01:56 AM
First off, they spent several years on that album. How much damn time do they need to clean it up?

First off, in the middle of recording, James was in rehab for over a year and wouldn't pick up a guitar for several months after that.

Second off, the songs sound like Metallica trying to be cool, not Metallica being Metallica. When you listen to stuff through AJFA (and some of the Black album), there is always some little part in the songs that makes you go "Oooo - that was weird. Cool." It's not that way any more.

This doesn't make much sense, can you give some examples?

Start off with Kirk. It's like one day he said "Hey - everybody is using this wah peddle. I think I will too!" And now it's in every song.

The Wah peddle is cool

Next Lars. One day he said "Hey - they don't call that the standard rock beat for nothing. I think I'll start playing that!" Boom - it's in every song.

I agree with you there, the drumming really lacked after AJFA. But in St Anger it was cool to hear that double bass again

James. His problem is that he heard everyone singing and decided that since he has the word singer beside his name in the liner that he is a singer. Guess what? HE ISN'T A SINGER! HE'S A SCREAMER! Then I guess he had Every Rose Has It's Thorn cranked up and decided he needed to get in touch with his feelings. WTF? Metallica doesn't have feelings!

It's called getting older and maturing. I actually like hearing how his voice has evolved over the years. I'm surprised you don't like St. Anger because James does a lot of screaming in it.

And the bass player? Where do I begin. First off, Metallica plays with a pick. Period. 95% downstrokes. Enough said. Next off, the biggest Metallica fan in the world WAS Jason Newstead. It was his DREAM to play in Metallica. You know something is ****ed up when he can be ran out of his favorite band.

As said before Cliff played with his fingers and was awesome on Bass, Jason was succ. Rob is 10X the bass player Jason is. Anyone who has seen the two on stage would know this. It doesn't matter how big a fan you are, if you succ, of course your are going to get run off.

To sum up - it just isn't Metallica anymore. Hell, look at the logo and see if it is still Metallica.

The thing I have liked about Metallica over the years is that each album has it's own unique sound (except load and reload) and shows that the band enjoys experimenting and trying different things. The logo change does succ. :)

Norm In Norman
8/17/2004, 08:54 AM
I'm guessing you are 25 or younger. Am I correct?

Allright. If I'm ever in rehab and I finish one of my programs after rehab, I'm still going to make sure my program works right. I'm not gonna make some ****ty excuse and half *** it because the people I'm writing the program for don't want that and I would be embarrassed to put my name on it.

I don't know how to explain. Everything since and including some of the black album sounds like they are trying to be more like everybody else. It is all commercial sounding. Close your eyes and listen to Enter Sandman. Can you picture them in somebody's garage jamming to Enter Sandman? Now listen to Master of Puppets. Can you hear the effects of commercialism?

As far as explaining the cool little parts - I can't. Listen to Harvester of Sorrow and then pay attention to when Lars plays his snare, or when he hits the cymbol, or when he throws in some double bass. Nobody would play a song like that because the way he does it doesn't make sense. But he does it and it makes perfect sense somehow. Then listen to the guitar. They start with distortion but then throw in a non distorted part. WTF? Then they play the non-distorted part with distortion. How cool is that? Then James comes in with "My life suffocates. Planting seeds of hate..." He's not serenading you, he's telling you how much of a bad *** he is. THAT is Metallica. It all fits together. I can give you many examples from earlier albums, but since a ton of people hate AJFA I thought I would use this as an example.

The wah peddle is cool when you are a beginning guitarist. And it is cool sometimes during a solo or something. But you don't need to depend on it if you can play. Listen to a solo from St. Anger (are there any?) then listen to one from anything before TBA and tell me which is better.

Double bass has nothing to do with it. Throwing in some double bass for the sake of playing the double bass doesn't make a song cool. Playing something cool makes a song cool.

His voice has matured into a heavy metal country singer's voice. There. I said it. We were all thinking it, but I said it. Listen to the Police then listen to Sting now. That is a voice maturing. James completely changed his style.

Jason succs? Whatever. I went to the Load (and it was a load) concert and Jason was the whole damn show. He was running around playing and singing like a MADMAN. You can sit any bass player up there to play, but that doesn't mean he is contributing to the band. Jason brought the energy to the band even when the rest of the band had lost that energy. I don't think he was as good as Cliff (obviously), but he brought something to the table that the new guy hasn't. Jason just got a bad rep because he was the new guy.

Anyway, I'm tired of typing.

caphorns
8/17/2004, 08:58 AM
Unnamed - I agree with everything you just laid out. I have exactly 0 Metallica albums (can't listen to more than 1 song at a time), yet I think of them as easily in the Top 5 live metal bands of all time (maybe because they have some serious advantage money wise). I'm curious as to whether people agree with that and what live acts they would put ahead of Metallica (ignoring the vinyl for a second).

Boarder
8/17/2004, 09:02 AM
I'm curious as to whether people agree with that and what live acts they would put ahead of Metallica (ignoring the vinyl for a second).

Iron Maiden

caphorns
8/17/2004, 09:04 AM
Top 5 SB. And I agree with Iron Maiden:

My top 5 (live metal/hard rock bands):
Iron Maiden
ACDC
Ozzy
Metallica
Judas Priest

Now the mockery may ensue.

Norm In Norman
8/17/2004, 09:19 AM
Caphorns agrees, and I rest my case.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/17/2004, 09:51 AM
Evolving. Maturing.

Usually that means 'better' - not an excuse for putting out crappy commercial ****.

The problem with them evolving into a money machine is that the idea of making music for money was EXACTLY what they stood against when they first got started. Back in the 80s, when they were still making their own brand of music and telling everyone else to **** off was what got millions of fans to support them.

So when they start putting out crappy-sounding stuff (rehab or not) and it's not living up to the expectations of old-time Metallica stuff, it's going to be considered weak and crappy.

Now there are die-hard people out there that will support them and no matter what kind of junk they put out there. If they re-did 'Jungle Love' some people would buy it and rave about how cutting edge it is and how Metallica isn't afraid to explore new ideas. But it would still be crap to those that expect more.

And saying that Jason sucks is just idiotic. Cliff was the man but Jason did all he could to live in his shadow and he did a nice job.

Norm In Norman
8/17/2004, 10:19 AM
THEY SHOULD REDO JUNGLE LOVE!!!! That would make me like them again. Yeah. Oh ee oh ee oh...

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/17/2004, 12:06 PM
Jerome, get my mirror!

Boarder
8/17/2004, 12:41 PM
Maybe they could redo "Friends In Low Places". That would rock.

Oh Ee Oh Ee Oh

KC//CRIMSON
8/17/2004, 03:50 PM
Heh
http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1490271/20040817/index.jhtml?headlines=true

Boarder
8/17/2004, 03:53 PM
Heh
http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1490271/20040817/index.jhtml?headlines=true

Did Metallica get a licensing fee from the jerseys?

:)

Norm In Norman
8/17/2004, 04:08 PM
Damn straight they did.

KC//CRIMSON
8/17/2004, 04:11 PM
Did Metallica get a licensing fee from the jerseys?

:)

No, and that's only because the little midget drummer hasn't found out yet...

TheUnnamedSooner
8/17/2004, 06:48 PM
There will be a lawsuit

TheUnnamedSooner
8/17/2004, 06:57 PM
Norm, I agree with just about everything you said from the black album through reload. I just felt that the band was doing what they wanted to (ie Metallica being Metallica) in St. Anger, not trying to do it just for money or anything. So, we will have to agree to disagree on that.

Don't get me wrong, I like Jason, especially the connection he had with the fans. I've just always felt that Jason never quite fit in as a Metallica member and it showed on stage, yeah, he ran around and gave it his all every show, but that doesn't make him a good bass player. Rob is almost flawless on bass, and playing without a pic IMO always sounds better. He also, puts everything he has into every show and brings a special energy on stage that seems to make the band more energetic.

Norm In Norman
8/17/2004, 07:35 PM
Dude, I just tried listening to St. Anger again to see if maybe my mind could be changed. It can't. I do kinda wonder what I would feel like if the drums didn't succ. Maybe I would think it is a step in the right direction. I do see what you are saying about the new bassist. he is pretty damn awesome. I wonder if Jason was afforded the luxury of playing like that. Billy Sheehan plays with his fingers, so you are probably right.

For curiosity sake, would you mind ranking these songs and then throwing in any St Anger songs that would fit in this list? If you don't want to, that is fine. i'm just interested. They are just some of the better/more popular songs.

Four Horsemen
Motorbreath
Whiplash
Am i Evil?
Battery
For whom the bell tolls
Fade To Black
Master Of Puppets
Disposable Heroes
Sanitarium
One
Harvester of sorrow
Enter Sandman
Through the never
So What?
The Small Hours
Creeping Death

Boarder
8/17/2004, 09:54 PM
OK, I'm listening again. Trying to honestly do it with an open mind.

Frantic. First off, it is just virtually impossible to listen to this with that stinking drum sound. There is absolutely no continuity with the song. At the first, it is like 4 measures of one thing, 4 of another, then 4 of another. When it finally gets to 8 measures of song with all four members playing, it's cool, but then, it freaking stops again. And, I don't think the tempo is the same. It sounds like when he's hitting the snare on 4 beats per measure, he's going faster than when he does it two per measure. That's what really kills it for me. Just absolutely no continuity. I can deal with the raw sound. I kind of like that. But, the main thing wrong is when you finally get into the song, it totally changes, and you have to start over.

The next song is on. St Anger. Same thing.

I'm listening to this on the computer in iTunes, so I cliked right above it on Fight Fire With Fire. Wow.

Wow.

They do a lot of the same things as now, but everything just flows. The band needs to go buy a copy of Ride The Lightning and listen to it again.

Boarder
8/17/2004, 09:55 PM
Oh, and Norm....Creeping Death.

Norm In Norman
8/17/2004, 09:59 PM
I left a ton of them out. I was just trying to get a good mix ... that ended up being a little KEA heavy.

On second thought, I need to add that. I'm just thinking of the crowd screaming "DIE! DIE!"

Boarder
8/17/2004, 10:08 PM
In many ways, it's a lot like Frantic. It starts out with one instrument, others jam in, different cadence changes. But, you put the two together and one flows great. You bang your head. The other one, you look around to see if anyone else gets it either.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/17/2004, 10:22 PM
Ok, if you want to listen to st anger with the drum a lil better, try the DVD included. I think it sounds better than the CD. Here is my quick ranking of those songs

Fade to Black= some of the best rhythm I've ever heard
Whiplash
4 horsemen
The Small hours = very heavy
Battery
Motorbreath
Am I evil?
Master of Puppets
Creeping Death
Harvestor of Sorrow
St Anger
Sanitarium
Disposible Heroes
For Whom The bell Tolls
So What
Frantic
Sweet Amber
One
Through The Never
Unnamed Feeling ;)
Enter Sandman

Does anyone share the same opinion that I do, that no matter what song it is, it always sounds better live? :D

Norm In Norman
8/17/2004, 10:33 PM
Cool. Maybe I'll make a playlist and see if I like that order.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/17/2004, 11:43 PM
Ok, let me know what you think

GDC
7/26/2006, 02:17 PM
There is some Metallica on iTunes now, FWIW.

AJFA is definitely one of my all-time favorites by anybody.

Norm In Norman
7/26/2006, 02:22 PM
The stupid ****ers took long enough to figure it out.

GDC
7/26/2006, 02:43 PM
Beano likes them all, but he also voted that they all suck.:D

Dio
7/26/2006, 04:20 PM
I didn't get it with St Anger until I watched the DVD- prolly because on the DVD the snare drum actually sounded like a snare.

StoopTroup
7/26/2006, 06:14 PM
They RAWK...always have RAWKD and will continue to RAWK...

caphorns
7/27/2006, 08:12 AM
dah dah dah

caphorns
7/27/2006, 08:13 AM
Beano likes them all, but he also voted that they all suck.:D

What's the problem with that?

GDC
7/27/2006, 09:06 AM
What's the problem with that?

No problem, I like Beano, he's a paradoxical conundrum wrapped up in a questionably enigmatic mystery.

Norm In Norman
7/27/2006, 09:30 AM
They RAWK...always have RAWKD and will continue to RAWK...
Personally I don't like to think how the RIAA tells me to think, but more power to you. There is nothing good about St. Anger. NOTHING.

TheUnnamedSooner
7/27/2006, 11:45 AM
I have a buddy who saw them over in Dublin a few weeks ago. In tribute to MOP, they played the whole album. I'm so ****ed I wasn't able to witness it. He said Kirk didn't miss a note on Orion...

caphorns
7/27/2006, 12:22 PM
No problem, I like Beano, he's a paradoxical conundrum wrapped up in a questionably enigmatic mystery.

I think you missed my little icon at the top.

But I am thinking of grilling some paradoxical conundrum wrapped up in a questionably enigmatic mystery but with a paradigm-shifting demi-glaze.

GDC
7/27/2006, 01:17 PM
I'm humgry.

SicEmBaylor
7/27/2006, 03:23 PM
Succ

Dio
7/27/2006, 03:25 PM
I have a buddy who saw them over in Dublin a few weeks ago. In tribute to MOP, they played the whole album. I'm so ****ed I wasn't able to witness it. He said Kirk didn't miss a note on Orion...

"Maybe if they had recorded it in Dublin..."

Rogue
7/27/2006, 04:44 PM
There wouldn't be a "heavy Metal" catigory, if not for Metalica, Megadeath, Slayer, and a few others.

Umm, as a former mullett-wearing child of the '70s and '80s I have to disagree and say that Black Sabbath is the beginning of the heavy metal family tree. Metal got pushed some in the '80s and I still consider the stadium "hair-bands" like Crue, Ratt, Tesla, Dokken, etc as heavy metal. Until about 1989. Then everything went in the ****ter with the "W" bands like Warrant, Winger, and some others around then. "W" Bands isn't my own original term, I think Nugent or somebody else used it first. But between them and the rise of the "power ballads" that still give me many happy memories of dancing on gymnasium floors, they killed what metal was for awhile and it has taken several years for the genre to recover.

Rogue
7/27/2006, 04:45 PM
Oh, and as for Metallica, I loved Kill 'Em All and Master of Puppets. And Justice... was OK and they really went downhill after that.

GDC
7/27/2006, 04:58 PM
Umm, as a former mullett-wearing child of the '70s and '80s I have to disagree and say that Black Sabbath is the beginning of the heavy metal family tree.

Also Blue Cheer and Mountain.

SoonerObsession
7/27/2006, 09:24 PM
When I rushed to the cd store to get St. Anger I was so excited to hear the newest Metallica. I've never been more disappointed in a cd in all my life. I thought maybe they labled someone elses cd with the wrong cover. The snare drum sound was rediculous. How they ever thought that sounded good is beyond me. That being said, I still think they have a good record left in them if they will let their egos admit that they don't need a "new" sound.

GDC
9/21/2006, 09:37 AM
Slayer on the other hand is still kicking ***.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/21/2006, 01:46 PM
The new songs sound pretty good. Now only if they take the time to tune their instruments before recording....

colleyvillesooner
9/21/2006, 03:55 PM
Slayer on the other hand is still, well, Slayer.

Fixed ;)

Ash
9/21/2006, 08:39 PM

You obviously have no idea what happened during and after MOP.

Ash
9/21/2006, 08:42 PM
Slayer on the other hand is still kicking ***.
Reign in Blood is still my fave tho.

Best damn metal album evar! IMHO.

A where are they now? list:
Kreator
Nuclear Assault
Obituary
Death
Sepultura