PDA

View Full Version : NHL

Boomhauer
8/18/2005, 12:34 PM
Looks like Hockey made another move to get people away from the sport. They announced today that the league has set up broadcasting rights with the Outdoor Life Channel. I don't know how many people in America get this channel but I would think that it would be very few. Not a good move to increase popularity!!!!

mrowl
8/18/2005, 01:40 PM
FYI, its OLN now, that name is gone... and Comcasts goal for that channel is to compete with ESPN... they are looking to sign some NFL games for next season.

GrapevineSooner
8/18/2005, 02:17 PM
Looks like Hockey made another move to get people away from the sport. They announced today that the league has set up broadcasting rights with the Outdoor Life Channel. I don't know how many people in America get this channel but I would think that it would be very few. Not a good move to increase popularity!!!! On the contrary, I think it's a good move. Comcast has a significant amount of the cable TV market share. Putting their games on their Video On Demand service and streaming games on the web is going to prove to be genius on their part for the upcoming season. I just hope that they make web streaming available to everyone and not just Comcast cable customers (I love my dish too much to give that up).

Boomhauer
8/18/2005, 02:31 PM
I hope that is the case. Though I don't watch Hockey very much I do like seeing sports succeed and be apart of America.

Scott D
8/18/2005, 05:44 PM
Comcast offered $135 Mil for the package the NHL offered to ESPN for $100 Mil.....the NHL went to ESPN and asked if they'd be willing to equal what Comcast was offering, ESPN said "No" and now it's on a channel I refuse to watch because all of it's programming sucks. Thank god for my team being on the local FSN channel every night.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/18/2005, 11:12 PM
Which brings us to this burning question: Will Barry Melrose switch networks?

GrapevineSooner
8/18/2005, 11:59 PM
Now I just need to convince Dish Network to make OLN available on America's Top 120.

silverwheels
8/19/2005, 02:06 AM
The Kings just signed a Japanese goalie who has perhaps the greatest name ever.

Yutaka... (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/photo?slug=tok10208180727.japan_kings_japanese_goa lie__tok102&prov=ap)

On a side note, I have to get one of those jerseys.

HoserSooner
8/19/2005, 07:46 AM
Are you guys able to get CBC down there? CBC programming really sucks ***, except on Saturday nights from 7 PM to 1 AM EST when they show a NHL double header.

Scott D
8/19/2005, 11:32 AM
I get CBC, but I have to watch the early game with the mute button on because Neale and Irvin are absolutely horrid to listen to with their homerism.

ouflak
8/19/2005, 11:49 AM
Well if they are willing to put the investment into creating a truly new Sports channel, that's fine. But I do wonder if the market isn't getting a bit saturated. I mean how many sports are there that are popular nationally/internationally enough to draw viewers? Maybe OLN can get a big soccer contract for the big international games?(a U.S. market here for viewers?) There's not too much else left that hasn't already been sucked into a big contract. I hope Comcast doesn't think it's going to build this channel just around the NHL. Maybe they can contract some leftover games from all of the other sports. That might be worth something.

You know I just about an idea for this new 'network'. What about showing tons of women's volleyball, especially women's beach volleyball? Not THAT would get some viewers.

Brutus1
8/19/2005, 12:15 PM
. But I do wonder if the market isn't getting a bit saturated. I mean how many sports are there that are popular nationally/internationally enough to draw viewers? Maybe OLN can get a big soccer contract for the big international games?(a U.S. market here for viewers?) There's not too much else left that hasn't already been sucked into a big contract. I hope Comcast doesn't think it's going to build this channel just around the NHL. Maybe they can contract some leftover games from all of the other sports. That might be worth something.
You know I just about an idea for this new 'network'. What about showing tons of women's volleyball, especially women's beach volleyball? Not THAT would get some viewers.

I think Comcast is banking on the 'new' NHL being a much more viewer-friendly game. There should be alot more scoring than before.

I think this is just the first step for Comcast to get into mainstream sports television.

I was suprised at how many people actually get OLN.

HoserSooner
8/19/2005, 01:10 PM
I get CBC, but I have to watch the early game with the mute button on because Neale and Irvin are absolutely horrid to listen to with their homerism.

Yes, I suppose if you weren't a Leaf/Habs fan, they would be a bit irritating.

Listening to Bob Cole and Harry Heale doing the Leaf games though is pure gold for the fans of the Blue & White.

WisconsinSooner
8/19/2005, 02:33 PM
Yes, I suppose if you weren't a Leaf/Habs fan, they would be a bit irritating.

Listening to Bob Cole and Harry Heale doing the Leaf games though is pure gold for the fans of the Blue & White.

I was in North Bay ON for a year. Once I got passed the homerism of Cole and Heale the Leafs were ok to watch. Of course I never missed Coache's Corner during the first intermission. And you are right, Hockey Night in Canada is the ONLY television program worth watching on CBC. I watched some of the Habs broadcasts in french. Not that I speak any french. haha I get OLN so I am looking forward to their having hockey. I will probably get NHL Center Ice package anyway so I don't really care. It will be worth having the Center Ice package just to watch all the shootouts! GO AVS!

HoserSooner
8/19/2005, 03:14 PM
I was in North Bay ON for a year. Once I got passed the homerism of Cole and Heale the Leafs were ok to watch. Of course I never missed Coache's Corner during the first intermission. And you are right, Hockey Night in Canada is the ONLY television program worth watching on CBC. I watched some of the Habs broadcasts in french. Not that I speak any french. haha I get OLN so I am looking forward to their having hockey. I will probably get NHL Center Ice package anyway so I don't really care. It will be worth having the Center Ice package just to watch all the shootouts! GO AVS!

It's hard to explain to people south of the border how muchCoach's Corner with Don Cherry really means. I've been in bars where they turn the commentary off during the game, but then crank the sound during Coach's Corner and NOBODY was allowed to talk when Don has the floor.

He's toned down his act lately, but he used to be pretty racist (towards European players) and was probably the biggest male chavinist around.

CBC is on strike now though (not that anyone has really noticed), but hopefully they'll get their act together by October.

Scott D
8/19/2005, 03:26 PM
It's hard to explain to people south of the border how muchCoach's Corner with Don Cherry really means. I've been in bars where they turn the commentary off during the game, but then crank the sound during Coach's Corner and NOBODY was allowed to talk when Don has the floor.

He's toned down his act lately, but he used to be pretty racist (towards European players) and was probably the biggest male chavinist around.

CBC is on strike now though (not that anyone has really noticed), but hopefully they'll get their act together by October.

Coaches Corner is by far the best part of it....Ron MacLean is a perfect foil for Cherry....but the Greg Millen crew is the best announcing team the CBC has bar none. I would kill for one of the Habs games in French on CBC instead of them assuming that because Windsor is in Ontario that they want to watch the Leafs every Saturday night.

WisconsinSooner
8/19/2005, 05:11 PM

I've tried to explain Don Cherry and Coach's Corner to friends here in Wisconsin and back home in Oklahoma and they really just don't get it. I always loved Cherry badmouthing the Euros since I felt a lot of what he said was true. Although I found it hilarious that while he was saying those things Sundin was captain of the Leafs. I had even more respect for the guy after his pro U.S. stance and the "when your friend's in a fight you stick by your friend" rant that almost got him fired. That took a lot of guts on his part. The "holier than thou" Toronto Star really blasted him for that one. I really love the guy and will certainly miss him when he's gone. He's worth the price of the Center Ice package alone. Speaking of him being gone, will CBC bring him back for Coach's Corner after their little strike is over?

P.S. I really miss Molson Canadian. It just isn't the same here. That and poutine. Of the things I miss I would have to say 1. The strippers, 2. Coach's Corner, 3. Molson Canadian, 4. Poutine and 5. Watching hockey in a bar with a bunch of Canadians.

HoserSooner
8/22/2005, 07:51 AM
Oh yeah, I think the CBC has to bring him back. I believe that he is still under a contract with them, and he'll probably be around until he kicks the bucket. He and McClean are the only things that keep that broadcast going. Even players in the dressing rooms watch between periods.

It'll be good having the guys back on the ice this year....Saturday night's just weren't the same last year.

soonerjoker
8/22/2005, 08:09 AM
my favorite nhl season was last season. i couldn't find any games on tv tho.

WisconsinSooner
8/23/2005, 03:32 PM
It'll be good having the guys back on the ice this year....Saturday night's just weren't the same last year.
That must have been one long *** winter without Hockey up there. Hell it was a long winter here without hockey. Who am I kidding.

HoserSooner
8/23/2005, 03:38 PM
That must have been one long *** winter without Hockey up there. Hell it was a long winter here without hockey. Who am I kidding.

We got used to it after awhile, but in January/February when it's too damn cold to do much else but drink beer and watch TV it got to be a bit much. I missed it most in the spring when we'd be looking forward to the playoff run, but we managed.

No way I would want another winter like that though. I like watching poker, but not that much. :D

WisconsinSooner
8/23/2005, 04:37 PM
I know what you mean about Jan/Feb. When it's so cold it hurts to breath the minute you go outside. Luckily in North Bay we could get Molson, smokes and poutine delivered. haha

trwxxa
8/23/2005, 08:55 PM
Luckily in North Bay we could get Molson, smokes and poutine delivered. haha

I'm trying to figure out how to get a poutine delivery business going here in Houston. I don't think it will catch on. We're already rated as one of America's fattest cities.

Hoser, what is the talk on the Leafs so far. In particular, Chad Kilger. Everything I read is that he in penciled on the third line with Domi and Antropov. So much potential, but I think he may be just about out of time.

Scott D
8/23/2005, 09:53 PM
bwahahahaha Chad Kilger....bwahahaha.....right about now with the resurrection of Alexandre Daigle, he's the biggest bust of the 90s ;)

HoserSooner
8/23/2005, 10:17 PM
Well, that's all there has been is talk so far. Everyone on sports radio is now "GM For A Day" and wants to convert Sundin/Lindros/Alliston/Andropov to a winger and put him with the other. The Toronto sports media hasn't stopped since the begining of July guessing on what will happen with lineups.

My best guess is that Kilger may be given a shot on the second line, but you're guess is as good as mine as to who the centreman will be on that line. Kilger and Domi play well together though crashing and banging, so who knows. Hopefully they'll give him a shot.

Scott D
8/31/2005, 12:58 PM
ugh...your roster is two concussions away from playing kids in Saint John.

btw, this has been the best spot for trade/signing rumors for yearsSpector's Trade Rumors (http://www.spectorshockey.net/)

HoserSooner
8/31/2005, 01:26 PM
Agreed.

Add to that the fact that Belfour's back can go at any minute, Andropv's injury history, and the Leafs could be in pretty dire straits should the injury bug hit.

If this team stays healthy, it can make a good run. That's a real big 'If' though.