PDA

View Full Version : Why I root for Tiger

JohnnyMack
8/15/2005, 03:39 PM
So one day, when I'm old, I can tell my grandkids how I got to watch the greatest golfer who ever lived in his prime. Same reason I cheered for Michael Jordan. Conversely, the same reason most people a generation behind me can't understand why I think Barry Sanders is the greatest running back evar, when I never saw Jim Brown run. I enjoy watching people who compete at such a high level. Is Phil Mickelson a good golfer? Hell yes. But he's not Tiger Woods. I hope Tiger wins every tournament he ever plays so we can shake our collective heads and say damn, we ain't never gonna see anything like that again.

People who root against Tiger are the reason MTV is successful. Stick with me, I'm going somewhere with this. In our age of soundbytes, 15 minutes of fame and following the latest fad, it isn't always considered cool to stand by an ideal. Something newer, faster, bigger, shinier, whatever is always coming out to replace that which went before it.

In this storm of constant renewal, I think it's really impressive that Eldrick is dominating the way he is. There isn't a golfer on the planet under more pressure and more scrutiny than Tiger Woods. And to watch him prevail so often is the reason I cheer for him. Getting to the top is hard enough, staying there is what makes him truly special.

Herr Scholz
8/18/2005, 01:03 PM
Great golfer, maybe the best ever? Yes.
Nice person? No.

colleyvillesooner
8/18/2005, 04:33 PM
Great golfer, maybe the best ever? Yes.
Nice person? No.

People didn't always like Jack either. Tiger will mellow over the years and go down as the greatest ever, I believe.

Herr Scholz
8/18/2005, 04:42 PM
I'm tired of Jack and his reminiscing commercials too. "Here's where I had to make this putt and of course, I made it..." Brought to you by the Bank of Scotland...

Scott D
8/18/2005, 05:45 PM
I'm tired of Jack and his reminiscing commercials too. "Here's where I had to make this putt and of course, I made it..." Brought to you by the Bank of Scotland...

Blame the Bank of Scotland....and don't get any money from them either.

Brutus1
8/19/2005, 12:19 PM
I like Tiger, too, but I'm not sure I want to see him win every tournament.

surferdude
8/19/2005, 05:53 PM
Give me the underdog every time. Too much winning causes acne.