PDA

View Full Version : Bertuzzi back on the ice

JohnnyMack
8/8/2005, 04:47 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8874214/

Seems a little quick, seein' as he just about killed Moore.

HoserSooner
8/8/2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I gotta' agree. And I took a pretty liberal stand on the whole thing, but I think he should still get another dozen games or so before he is allowed back.

Wonder what it's going to be like playing with a big bullseye on his back? :confused:

StoopTroup
8/8/2005, 10:01 PM
Hockey is brutal...

I miss 10 cent beer nights....:D

mrowl
8/9/2005, 06:47 AM
the only bad thing bert did was hit moore in the back of the head, momentum and the other Avs player landing on the dog pile just made it look worse.

And Moore is an a-hole for filing a civil suit in Colorado instead of Vancouver.

HoserSooner
8/9/2005, 07:45 AM
the only bad thing bert did was hit moore in the back of the head, momentum and the other Avs player landing on the dog pile just made it look worse.

And Moore is an a-hole for filing a civil suit in Colorado instead of Vancouver.

You and I agree on that part. The hit didn't do the damage, it was hitting the ice that did it.

He's still going to end up paying the piper at some point this season I'm sure.

BeetDigger
8/9/2005, 09:26 AM

The Canuuuuuks had already challenged Moore to a fight and he responded. Which in hockey is the way they take care of things I thought. Jumping on a guy and not facing him man to man is just being a P*ssy. Especially after the issue had already been taken care of earlier. And in Vancuuuuuuuver no less. They left Moore alone in the first rematch in Denver. Moore should get half of Bertuzzi's paycheck for the rest of Bertuzzi's career. Or at least until Moore can play again.

HoserSooner
8/9/2005, 10:39 AM
The Canuuuuuks had already challenged Moore to a fight and he responded. Which in hockey is the way they take care of things I thought. Jumping on a guy and not facing him man to man is just being a P*ssy. Especially after the issue had already been taken care of earlier. And in Vancuuuuuuuver no less. They left Moore alone in the first rematch in Denver. Moore should get half of Bertuzzi's paycheck for the rest of Bertuzzi's career. Or at least until Moore can play again.

If you actually watch the replay of the whole event, Bert tried to get Moore to drop them, and he skated away and ignored his request.

But you are right, things should have been settled after the first period when he fought (Brad May I think?). Not sure why Bertuzzi figured that he needed to be pounded on some more, but he sought him out to do so, and when Moore turned him down, he jumped him and the injury occurred.

The exact same circumstance happened in the whole Marty McSorely/Donald Brashear incident a few years back. McSorely wanted to drop them, but Brashear turned him down. Mind you, slapping him upside his head with his stick was a tad over the line IMO, but the events leading up to it are quite similar.

Moral of the story is, if another guy wants to drop the gloves with you, either drop them or don't turn your back on him, and be aware of where he is relative you where you are on the ice at all times.

(Not that I am condoning Bertuzzi's or McSorely's actions by any means).

GrapevineSooner
8/9/2005, 10:42 AM

You don't think the hit knocked Moore out, thus, removing any possibility he had to brace himself for the impact with the ice?

Sorry, but this decision to reinstate Bertuzzi is a horrible decision.

He needs to sit for at least another 20 games or so before I'd even consider his reinstatement.

As for the suit, it should be thrown out for the simple fact that this isn't in any Denver court's jurisdiction.

Scott D
8/9/2005, 11:19 AM
If you actually watch the replay of the whole event, Bert tried to get Moore to drop them, and he skated away and ignored his request.

But you are right, things should have been settled after the first period when he fought (Brad May I think?). Not sure why Bertuzzi figured that he needed to be pounded on some more, but he sought him out to do so, and when Moore turned him down, he jumped him and the injury occurred..

Yeah Moore fought with Brad May in the first period. However, Bertuzzi was taking what Moore had done in the past to Markus Naslund personally, so his intent was to send a message. Besides, Bertuzzi has missed what? the last dozen or so games of the 03/04 season, all of the 04 playoffs, all of the 04/05 season. He wasn't allowed to even be considered for the Canadian National teams for either the World Cup or the World Championships in that time span. The guy acknowledged long ago what he did was wrong, and has tried to make amends with Moore (who refuses to speak to him), along with paid some time for what he did. I think even if there hadn't been a lockout last season, Bertuzzi would not have seen the ice at all last season except as a spectator.

BeetDigger
8/9/2005, 11:20 AM

But you are right, things should have been settled after the first period when he fought (Brad May I think?). Not sure why Bertuzzi figured that he needed to be pounded on some more, but he sought him out to do so, and when Moore turned him down, he jumped him and the injury occurred.

The exact same circumstance happened in the whole Marty McSorely/Donald Brashear incident a few years back. McSorely wanted to drop them, but Brashear turned him down. Mind you, slapping him upside his head with his stick was a tad over the line IMO, but the events leading up to it are quite similar.

Moral of the story is, if another guy wants to drop the gloves with you, either drop them or don't turn your back on him, and be aware of where he is relative you where you are on the ice at all times.

(Not that I am condoning Bertuzzi's or McSorely's actions by any means).

What I don't understand is that the Canuuuuuks were upset over Moore's hit. But at the same time, hockey is about hitting and checking. Moore didn't check him into the boards and the hit was clean (I guess, I don't know hockey very well, but there was no penalty and it was in the middle of the ice). I mean, you're supposed to hit in hockey and yet when you hit someone too hard, the other team goes after you. I guess hitting is ok, but hitting too hard is not ok. And then fighting to set the slate clean. Gee, and hockey wonders why it is behind all of the other major sports in terms of viewership and money.

Scott D
8/9/2005, 11:21 AM

Moore was unconscious before he hit the ice, and then you add Bertuzzi jumping on his back to hit him some more, and that's where the personal injuries came into play. As for the civil suit, he likely filed it in Denver instead of Vancouver, because of how the final decision came in the criminal investigation of the act came up.

HoserSooner
8/9/2005, 11:34 AM
What I don't understand is that the Canuuuuuks were upset over Moore's hit. But at the same time, hockey is about hitting and checking. Moore didn't check him into the boards and the hit was clean (I guess, I don't know hockey very well, but there was no penalty and it was in the middle of the ice). I mean, you're supposed to hit in hockey and yet when you hit someone too hard, the other team goes after you. I guess hitting is ok, but hitting too hard is not ok. And then fighting to set the slate clean. Gee, and hockey wonders why it is behind all of the other major sports in terms of viewership and money.

It's one of those 'unwritten rule' deals where you don't touch the other teams' superstar no matter how good of a lick you can lay on him. Especially if that superstar player is considered to be a finesse player, and not exactly physical.

The hit that Moore laid on Naslund was 100% legal according to the rule book. But there is the common knowledge that if you put a hit on a superstar player, then you'll pay down the road. The fact that Naslund was injured on the play made it even worse for Moore.

Case in point, was back in the playoffs a few years back when Domi gave Niedermayer the sucker elbow in the chops at the end of the game. Domi got suspended for the rest of the playoffs, and the first time the Devils and Leafs got together the following regular season, Tie had a few occasions where he had to fight.

BeetDigger
8/9/2005, 11:56 AM
It's one of those 'unwritten rule' deals where you don't touch the other teams' superstar no matter how good of a lick you can lay on him. Especially if that superstar player is considered to be a finesse player, and not exactly physical.

The hit that Moore laid on Naslund was 100% legal according to the rule book. But there is the common knowledge that if you put a hit on a superstar player, then you'll pay down the road. The fact that Naslund was injured on the play made it even worse for Moore.

Case in point, was back in the playoffs a few years back when Domi gave Niedermayer the sucker elbow in the chops at the end of the game. Domi got suspended for the rest of the playoffs, and the first time the Devils and Leafs got together the following regular season, Tie had a few occasions where he had to fight.

Thanks for the explanation. I was unaware of Naslund's status. And I can appreciate the "unwritten rules". I know that they are in every sport.

mrowl
8/9/2005, 12:00 PM
Moore was unconscious before he hit the ice,

this, I agree with.

and then you add Bertuzzi jumping on his back to hit him some more, and that's where the personal injuries came into play.

this, did not happen, momentum brought Bertuzzi on top of moore, he did not jump on his back, and he never hit him again. the video proves this.

Scott D
8/9/2005, 01:09 PM
momentum brought Bertuzzi on top of moore, he did not jump on his back, and he never hit him again. the video proves this.

I said he intended to hit him some more..however by that point it was a dogpile, and nobody knew how bad off Steve Moore was.

Scott D
8/9/2005, 01:11 PM
The suspension could end up being one of the harshest in NHL history, depending on how deep the Canucks go in the playoffs and whether Bettman determines to extend it next season.

Bertuzzi, who sat out Vancouver's 1-1 tie against Minnesota on Wednesday, would miss a minimum 17 games this year if the Canucks -- currently fourth in the Western Conference -- make the playoffs and are swept in a four-game, first-round series.

The previous record suspension was 23 games, for Boston's Marty McSorley in February 2000, and Tampa Bay's Gordie Dwyer in September 2000.

By definition Bertuzzi has officially had the longest suspension in NHL history now.

silverwheels
8/9/2005, 01:15 PM
Bettman's a moron.

Scott D
8/9/2005, 01:25 PM
And the infamous box score from that March 8th night.

Vancouver attempt to injure - 10 min 8:41, T. Bertuzzi served by H. Sedin
Vancouver goalie leaving crease - 2 min 8:41, J. Hedberg served by H. Sedin
Vancouver game misconduct - 10 min 8:41, B. May
Vancouver game misconduct - 10 min 8:41, B. May
Vancouver fighting - 5 min 8:41, B. May
Vancouver attempt to injure - 10 min 8:41, T. Bertuzzi served by S. Pronger
Colorado fighting - 5 min 8:41, K. Sauer
Colorado game misconduct - 10 min 8:41, K. Sauer

GDC
8/9/2005, 09:16 PM
Isn't a Bertuzzi that machine they resurface the ice with?

GrapevineSooner
8/10/2005, 01:29 AM
No, that's a Zamboni.

Close, though. ;)

GDC
8/16/2005, 02:57 PM
Okay, I just realized who this guy is. He should never be allowed back in his sport.