PDA

View Full Version : Dear Tom Hicks

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2005, 10:34 AM
do not be the biggest dumbass and #1 public enemy by letting Mike Modano play hockey somewhere other than here....

Mjcpr
8/2/2005, 10:40 AM
Also, nice prediction on the OU-Texas game.

Paperclip
8/2/2005, 11:34 AM
Also, nice prediction on the OU-Texas game.

Heh, really went out on a limb there didn't he.

colleyvillesooner
8/2/2005, 12:02 PM
do not be the biggest dumbass and #1 public enemy by letting Mike Modano play hockey somewhere other than here....

I truly believe it will be VERY detremental to Dallas hockey if Modano leaves. They have always said they were gonna let him test the waters then see where they were. They better re-sign him.

Paperclip
8/2/2005, 12:03 PM
I truly believe it will be VERY detremental to Dallas hockey if Modano leaves. They have always said they were gonna let him test the waters then see where they were. They better re-sign him.

In related news, Hatcher is available. :)

Edit: Whoops, never mind. He went to Philly.

GrapevineSooner
8/2/2005, 12:10 PM
Dear Mike Modano,

Please do not be a dumbass and expect to get more than a 3-year deal worth any more than $3.5 million per season from the Stars after you put up only 14 goals and 30 assists for a grand total of 44 points in 2003. Oh yeah, you also posted a nice plus/minus of -21.

Please also realize that given the new rules changes, it could be argued that Sergei Zubov is more valuable than you are to the Stars. So please quit comparing yourself to him.

Bottom line, if he gets a 4 or 5 year deal worth $4 million to $5 million a year elsewhere, Hicks and Army have no choice but to say 'Thanks for the memories, Mike.'

Scott D
8/2/2005, 12:25 PM
Dear Mike Modano,

Please do not be a dumbass and expect to get more than a 3-year deal worth any more than $3.5 million per season from the Stars after you put up only 14 goals and 30 assists for a grand total of 44 points in 2003. Oh yeah, you also posted a nice plus/minus of -21.

Please also realize that given the new rules changes, it could be argued that Sergei Zubov is more valuable than you are to the Stars. So please quit comparing yourself to him.

Bottom line, if he gets a 4 or 5 year deal worth $4 million to $5 million a year elsewhere, Hicks and Army have no choice but to say 'Thanks for the memories, Mike.'

Rumor is Modano is off to Boston..which is ironic since the Jacobs are only surpassed in being tightfisted by that drunk Bill Wirtz.

OklahomaTrombone
8/2/2005, 12:26 PM
I still don't understand the new hockey CBA.

Scott D
8/2/2005, 12:30 PM
I still don't understand the new hockey CBA.

Teams can spend no less than $21 Mil...no more than $39 Mil. No single player can make more than a certain percentage of the payroll (dollar value is I believe $7.6 Mil). Teams last week had the option of buying out contracts of players to get within cap limits. Basically if a team has more than 1 or 2 players making over $5 Mil they're going to have a bunch of journeymen/rookies, or the players themselves are going to be accepting more contracts in the $1.5-2.5 mil/per range. I personally expect a lot more players to be looking for 1-2 year deals instead of 3-5 year deals now. Oh, and any player whose contract was bought out, couldn't sign again with the team that bought them out for a year after the buyout.

OklahomaTrombone
8/2/2005, 12:35 PM
ahhh...the buyout thing was confusing me...it was almost like the hockey version of the Allan Houston rule...

GrapevineSooner
8/2/2005, 12:42 PM
Rumor is Modano is off to Boston..which is ironic since the Jacobs are only surpassed in being tightfisted by that drunk Bill Wirtz.
At least Jacobs allows his team's home games to be televised locally.

Scott D
8/2/2005, 12:43 PM
it's interesting to see the positions that some teams are in....Boston only has 2 players under contract (before any free agent signings that may happen today) so they've got a lot of cap room. Detroit has about 10 players signed right now for a cost of $22 Mil...so they're looking to spend no more than $14 mil to complete the roster so that they have a mil or two in reserve in case of injuries. Philly dumped about 12 mil in salary when they bought out Amonte and LeClair.

Scott D
8/2/2005, 12:44 PM
At least Jacobs allows his team's home games to be televised locally.

hehe Blackhaws on PPV only is hilarious....the idiot would make more money if he had games broadcast on WGN and/or CSNC. Then again I hear the son isn't much better than the father...except for the drinking thing.

GrapevineSooner
8/2/2005, 12:49 PM
hehe Blackhaws on PPV only is hilarious....the idiot would make more money if he had games broadcast on WGN and/or CSNC. Then again I hear the son isn't much better than the father...except for the drinking thing.
I could understand Wirtz' stance back in the early to mid 90's when the Blackhawks were a perennial playoff team and a Hawks ticket was among the hottest tickets in town.

Now, they're lucky if they draw 10,000 to a home game. So Wirtz isn't exactly raking it in at the gate to justify this idiotic policy.

If I ever win a multi-state lottery to the tune of $200 million, I may very well buy the Blackhawks and rid millions of suffering Blackhawks fans of the scurge that is Dollar Bill.

Scott D
8/2/2005, 12:53 PM
I could understand Wirtz' stance back in the early to mid 90's when the Blackhawks were a perennial playoff team and a Hawks ticket was among the hottest tickets in town.

Now, they're lucky if they draw 10,000 to a home game. So Wirtz isn't exactly raking it in at the gate to justify this idiotic policy.

If I ever win a multi-state lottery to the tune of $200 million, I may very well buy the Blackhawks and rid millions of suffering Blackhawks fans of the scurge that is Dollar Bill.

even back then it wasn't that great of a business decision. Wirtz and the Jacobs are the same really....they won't spend money to create a winning product as long as people continue to fill the stands...problem is that winter in Chicago and Boston isn't all that great ;)

GrapevineSooner
8/2/2005, 05:44 PM
Apparently, Tom Hicks got JK's memo (http://www.dallasnews.com/).

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2005, 05:46 PM
you know, i understand the business end of this......the stats you flashed on modano last year......but to me, hockey's first priority is to win the fans back, and letting your #1 star player go for money after a long lockout over money, just really isnt the way to do that

i hope we do get him back because they'll need him to secure up the fanbase

tulsaoilerfan
8/2/2005, 09:58 PM
I agree with JK; Modano IS the Stars, and to let him walk would be a public relations fiasco for the franchise and would probably preclude us from attending any more Stars games in the near future.

John

Scott D
8/3/2005, 03:19 AM
you know, i understand the business end of this......the stats you flashed on modano last year......but to me, hockey's first priority is to win the fans back, and letting your #1 star player go for money after a long lockout over money, just really isnt the way to do that

i hope we do get him back because they'll need him to secure up the fanbase

Which is good, because to rely on Jason Arnott and Sergei Zubov to sell tickets would be a bad move.

jk the sooner fan
8/3/2005, 06:22 AM
Which is good, because to rely on Jason Arnott and Sergei Zubov to sell tickets would be a bad move.

true, i'm a lil surprised they didnt go after Hatcher......i think Philly was smart to pick him up

Stanley1
8/3/2005, 11:07 AM
Hockey sucks. The end. :D

colleyvillesooner
8/3/2005, 11:53 AM
I suck. The end. :D

:D

Scott D
8/3/2005, 12:13 PM
Hockey sucks. The end. :D

go die or something.

jk the sooner fan
8/3/2005, 12:14 PM
and major kudo's to mike modano, apparently he was offered quite a bit more by Boston....

Scott D
8/3/2005, 12:30 PM
he had offers on the table by Boston, Atlanta and I heard Minnesota was in with a smaller bid. I give props to him for saying that he wanted to stay in Dallas if he could...although to be honest, I wish we coulda brought him back home. I still wouldn't be surprized to see them deal Arnott if they can find a cheaper replacement for him.

GrapevineSooner
8/3/2005, 02:22 PM
You might want to retract those kudos (http://www.dallasnews.com/).

Mike Modano rejects Stars' contract offer. Details to come.
And in light of the long term deal the Stars offered, let me be the first person on this board to kindly tell Mike to go f*** himself. :mad:

jk the sooner fan
8/3/2005, 02:27 PM
well ****........

GrapevineSooner
8/3/2005, 02:33 PM
Tom,

You might have been a little slow. But you came around in the end.

Too bad it wasn't enough for Greedy Mikey.

GrapevineSooner
8/3/2005, 02:50 PM
Doug Armstorng will address the media at 4:00.

If anything looks like a harbinger of things to come, this is it. I can't see Army scheduling a news conference to tell everyone they're going to continue to negotiate.

I'm thinking this is more along the lines of...

"We've broken off talks with Mike on a new contract and will focus our efforts on other free agents."

Scott D
8/3/2005, 03:01 PM
Modano rejects Stars latest offer

Mike Modano

TSN.ca Staff

8/3/2005 3:49:41 PM

Mike Modano's agent says his client has rejected the latest contract offer from the Dallas Stars.

"I informed the Stars of Mike's decision a few minutes ago," Brian Lawton told TSN.

While it is still possible that Modano will return to Dallas, that possibility now seems remote, despite reports Tuesday night that we would be returning to the franchise.

Lawton would not say which teams are still in the running for Modano's services, but NHL sources tell TSN that Boston and Chicago both have four year deals on the table worth in excess of $20 million.

The Stars had offered Modano a five year deal worth $17.5 million.

The Pronger trade was interesting as well.

colleyvillesooner
8/3/2005, 03:04 PM
Doug Armstorng will address the media at 4:00.

If anything looks like a harbinger of things to come, this is it. I can't see Army scheduling a news conference to tell everyone they're going to continue to negotiate.

I'm thinking this is more along the lines of...

"We've broken off talks with Mike on a new contract and will focus our efforts on other free agents."

I heard that on the ticket. Is he holding a press conference, or just "available to the media"?

edit: They just said he would speak at 4:00, but it would not be carried live on the Ticket.

jk the sooner fan
8/3/2005, 03:04 PM
here's a quote from the DMN......

tars owner Tom Hicks said Tuesday he believed the Stars already had an agreement with Modano.

"Well, I think Tom Hicks 'hoped’ he had a deal with Mike, but I know for sure Mike said he needed to talk to me first," Lawton said. "I think any report that there was ever a deal was inaccurate."

grrrrr

Scott D
8/3/2005, 03:06 PM
btw...Brian Lawton is the biggest bust the NHL ever had...he's barely a decent agent...but that's light years ahead of where he was as a player.

GrapevineSooner
8/3/2005, 05:06 PM
Army was just on with Galloway and Company on 103.3 FM.

He stated that yesterday, he asked Modano if they had a deal and Modano said 'Yes'. He did make clear that Lawton didn't give any indication one way or the other.

Then this afternoon, Lawton called Army and asked to have the contract faxed over so Army obliged. Lawton indicated he would get back with Army in about 45 minutes.

Then they call back and say they've rejected the offer and are going to explore offers from other teams.

It's worth noting that Army didn't sling any mud towards Mo during the interview and informed that as an UFA, Modano has the right to shop offers from other teams.

Dio
8/3/2005, 05:53 PM
So Hatch is gonna play for Hitch again? Hmmmm. The media hype when Hitchcock left was that he was difficult to play for. I guess Derian doesn't think so.

GrapevineSooner
8/3/2005, 06:48 PM
Hitch left moreso because his style had worn on players. I'm sure once you've had a dose of another coach's style for awhile, it's easier to go back to Hitch.

tulsaoilerfan
8/3/2005, 07:21 PM
If Mo leaves Dallas, they will be lucky to draw 10,000 a night to watch the likes of Guerin and Arnott.

John

jk the sooner fan
8/3/2005, 07:33 PM
forsberg joins hatch in philly....hmmm

GrapevineSooner
8/3/2005, 08:52 PM
Well, looks like both sides came to their senses (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/080405dnsponewmodano.3a2692bd.html).

jk the sooner fan
8/3/2005, 08:56 PM
whew, they both got my memo! :)

hey grape, did you hear greggo blasting Raffy on the hardline this afternoon?

brutal, absolutely brutal

tulsaoilerfan
8/3/2005, 09:44 PM
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Now we can watch the Stars again.

John

GrapevineSooner
8/3/2005, 09:45 PM
I heard it on the Ticket Top 10.

No shame in admitting you were duped, Greggo.

A lot of us were.

Dio
8/4/2005, 05:56 PM
Hats off to Modano and yes, even Tom Hicks. Now go find the Rangers some pitching, you stinking whorn bastard.

tulsaoilerfan
8/4/2005, 10:13 PM
Hats off to Modano and yes, even Tom Hicks. Now go find the Rangers some pitching, you stinking whorn bastard.
Like that will ever happen.

John :D

surferdude
8/19/2005, 05:56 PM
They're still playing hockey?

GrapevineSooner
8/19/2005, 06:44 PM
They will be come September.

Pre-season anyway.