PDA

View Full Version : TWO NEW COMMITS

db4ua
7/31/2005, 10:33 PM
i read on rivals.com that the Sooners had picked up two DL commitments.
Jeremy Gibbs-a 6'3" 285 DT from Miami, OK
Tim Johnson-he's 6'5" 265 DE from the same place.

I didn't find mush out about them so I can't really comment on them, but good luck wiht them both.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
"The price of victory is high, but so are the REWARDS" -P. Bear Bryant-

Ruuuuuufus
7/31/2005, 11:31 PM
They are both juco players from NEO. Not to downplay their skills or future contribution (I really don't know much about them,) but hopefully this will help pave the way to get Chris Patterson, also a LB at NEO, to OU next year.

GDC
8/1/2005, 09:35 AM
Sooners' future playing in Miami
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
7/31/2005

View in Print (PDF) Format

NORMAN -- Anyone interested in Oklahoma's 2006 football season should pay close attention to Northeastern Oklahoma A&M's 2005 campaign.

NEO defenders Chris Patterson, Jeremy Gibbs and Tim Johnson have all verbally committed to OU. Patterson could be in Norman as soon as next spring, with his two teammates following close behind.

"We expect big things out of (Chris)," NEO defensive coordinator Steve Patterson. "He can do whatever he puts his mind to doing."

Patterson reported to NEO last fall rated among the top three prep outside linebackers in the country. He chose OU over USC and Miami (Fla.) coming out of Hubbard High School in Chicago. But he failed to qualify academically, and the Sooners placed him at NEO.

Patterson redshirted, adjusted to the South Chicago-to-northeast corner of Oklahoma culture shock, showed up for practice in the spring and ripped off a 4.38 second 40-yard dash.

"He's one of the best athletes I've ever coached," Steve Patterson said. "He changes directions unbelievably fast."

But has he changed directions academically?

"Chris is going to take several hours this fall," Patterson said. "It's not going to be easy, but if he takes care of business, he can be out of
here in December."

Gibbs was also a non-qualifier coming out of Stillwater High School a year-and-a-half ago. He, too, is reportedly back on track academically.

Unlike Patterson, Gibbs played a little football last fall, rotating in at defensive tackle for the Golden Norsemen.

"He'll be a starter this year," Steve Patterson said. "We'll still rotate our linemen because we like to keep pressure on people, but he's too good to keep off the field."

Gibbs amassed 55 tackles, including eight for lost yardage, and five sacks as a senior at Stillwater. Then he went to NEO and bulked up to 285 pounds.

The only surprise to Norse coaches was Gibbs' choice of Bedlam rivals, a decision he made last Thursday night.

"I thought OSU was in the picture," Patterson said. "But (OU defensive tackles coach Jackie) Shipp is from Stillwater. I'm sure he played that card a little bit when he was recruiting Jeremy."

Johnson might be considered Shipp's bonus for securing Gibbs.

At 6-foot-5, Johnson grew up on basketball. He didn't try football until his junior year at Chicago's Mt. Carmel High School. Then he transferred to nearby Homewood-Flossmoor, and only wound up at NEO because Norse coaches noticed him while recruiting his teammate, nose guard Brandon Balkcom.

"When Tim showed up for our spring game the first part of May (2004) we weighed him at 225," Patterson said. "He was a stand-up outside linebacker (in high school), but we thought we could put his hand on the ground if we put some weight on him."

So Johnson redshirted and basically lived a year in the weight room.

"We weighed him a year later to the day (he weighed 225) and he was 269," Patterson said.

Now it's a matter of teaching Johnson how to play defensive end.

"Last spring was really his first time with his hand on the ground," Patterson said. "He is adjusting well. He'll keep getting better at it. He's really athletic. His upside is tremendous."

Guerin Emig 581-8355
[email protected]

OU PRACTICE SCHEDULE
Note: Subject to change; open to public.

Thursday: 5:30 p.m.
Friday: 5:30 p.m.
Saturday: 5:30 p.m.
Aug. 7: 5:30 p.m.
Aug. 8: 5:30 p.m. (scrimmage)
Aug. 9: 7:45 a.m., 6 p.m.
Aug. 10: 5:30 p.m.
Aug. 11: 7:45 a.m., 6 p.m.
Aug. 12: 5:30 p.m. (scrimmage)
Aug. 14: 5:30 p.m.
Aug. 15: 7:45 a.m., 6 p.m.
Aug. 16: 5:30 p.m.
Aug. 17: 5:30 p.m. (scrimmage)
Aug. 19: 7:45 a.m., 6 p.m.
Aug. 20: 9:30 a.m.

Note: Preseason practices are scheduled for the OU Rugby Fields west of Lloyd Noble Center; scrimmages at Owen Field.

You're welcome.

stoopified
8/1/2005, 09:57 PM
Lookin' good.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/1/2005, 10:10 PM
Whats's strange is that Chris Patterson and I had the same football coach

Steve was a coach at Ardmore for a couple of years while I tried to play football :)

:EDIT: I'm an idiot I was thinking of Keith Patterson