PDA

View Full Version : what are you reading?

jk the sooner fan
7/31/2005, 11:19 AM
currently i'm working on "Finding your inner sense of humor" by William F. Buckley Jr

OklahomaTrombone
7/31/2005, 11:24 AM
American Sphinx

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2005, 11:25 AM
move this to the testing forum please

OklahomaTrombone
7/31/2005, 11:27 AM
never heard of it...what's it about?

OUthunder
7/31/2005, 11:31 AM
A NASTY BIT OF ROUGH by David Feherty.

Stanley1
7/31/2005, 11:31 AM
How To Deal With Being Too Cool

booomer
7/31/2005, 11:32 AM
Currently: Green River, Running Red

Next up: Dawn of the Transcendence, by D. Mikels (Oklahoma author)

critical_phil
7/31/2005, 11:39 AM
Early Life: Evolution on the PreCambrian Earth by Lynn Margulis

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............

TopDaugIn2000
7/31/2005, 11:58 AM
I am Charolette Simmons by Tom Wolfe
Discrimination by Design by Leslie Kanes Weisman
Refabricating Architecture by Stephen Kieran & James Timberlake
1906 by James Dalessandro

(I have ADD when it comes to reading, usually have 3 or 4 going at any given time. These are books I bought at the architecture bookstore in Chicago, except for the 1st of course)

jk the sooner fan
7/31/2005, 12:15 PM
ok there is no book by william buckley titled "finding your inner sense of humor".....

gah.

IronSooner
7/31/2005, 12:18 PM
About to re-read The Prince, then onto Brave New World.

lexsooner
7/31/2005, 12:39 PM
"Blacks, Rednecks, and White Liberals," by Dr. Thomas Sowell, a well-known conservative black sociologist and writer. He has some interesting theories. I'm early in the book, but the gist of it appears to be the socioeconomic conditions of blacks are the result of the negative influence of the backward white redneck culture of the South, rather than from racism. He points to evidence showing how white Southerners and blacks, who mostly lived in the South, share so many socioeconomic conditions - lack of education, high sexual behavior and teen pregnancy, anti-intellectual attitudes, propensity to crime and violence, false and undeserved pride, hypermasculinity at the expense of intellect, dependence on government entitlements, etc.

He goes on to point out the blacks who moved out of the South have done so much better, not because of their escape from racism, but rather the leaving of the backward redneck culture of the South. He cites studies which show Northern blacks have significantly higher IQs than Southern whites as evidence for his theories.

I have yet to formulate concrete opinions on the subject, but I am not sure I
agree with Sowell's theories. Remember, he is a noted conservative writer and sociologist who writes a national column, and not some crackpot. I will try and reserve my opinions until I read the rest of the book.

Hatfield
7/31/2005, 12:42 PM
currently reading Hell's Angels by Hunter S. Thompson

about to read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

and then hpathbp

Scott D
7/31/2005, 12:57 PM
I haven't decided...either An American Death by Gerold Frank or The Second World War: A Military History by Basil Collier

Tailwind
7/31/2005, 01:11 PM
A thread on the South Oval on Soonerfan's.com concerning reading material. Duh.

StoopTroup
7/31/2005, 01:15 PM
The newspaper.

KaiserSooner
7/31/2005, 01:31 PM
Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond and Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs.

I should finish those two today or tomorrow, then it's on to Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and a textbook for class called Making the Information Society.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2005, 01:49 PM
How To Deal With Being Too Cool

heh

BajaOklahoma
7/31/2005, 02:39 PM
ok there is no book by william buckley titled "finding your inner sense of humor".....

gah.

Dang, I was going to reply and say it looks like you found yours. I'm glad I read the thread before replying.

Sooner24
7/31/2005, 03:15 PM
Big Russ & Me...................................Tim Russert

fesperman58
7/31/2005, 04:21 PM
Chronicles of Narnia

silverwheels
7/31/2005, 04:23 PM
A Jokelahoman article about Donovan Woods being a "veteran." :rolleyes:

afs
7/31/2005, 04:28 PM
A History of Warfare
Desiring God
Guns, Germs, and War
The Last Heros

SCOUT
7/31/2005, 04:28 PM
Men in Black by Mark R. Levin

Howzit
7/31/2005, 04:35 PM
This thread. Duh.

Stanley1
7/31/2005, 04:36 PM
The Life of an Elf

By Humper

Howzit
7/31/2005, 04:40 PM
Stanley's reading Melo's PEEMs.

booomer
7/31/2005, 05:11 PM

gah.

Welp! There you have it jk. Nobody reads your posts! :D

Sooner_Bob
7/31/2005, 05:24 PM
The Chronicles of Narnia

Stanley1
7/31/2005, 05:44 PM
Stanley's reading Melo's PEEMs.

:mad:

Stanley1
7/31/2005, 05:45 PM
I don't read much, but I think I'm going to buy the new Tony LaRussa book, "Three Nights in August" next time I'm near a book store. Don't mind reading if its about OU or one of my favorite pro teams.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/31/2005, 05:59 PM
Cosmo, does that count.

Hee Hee.

;)

OUAndy1807
7/31/2005, 06:07 PM
Founding Brothers, then probably Under and Alone

NYSooner1355
7/31/2005, 06:37 PM
Kitchen Confidential...by Chef Anthony Bourdain, interesting read about the real life behind the restaurant business...not all the glam it is made out to be on Food Network

NYSooner1355
7/31/2005, 06:38 PM
The Chronicles of Narnia

I just bought this...I want to read this to my 5 month old...that way I have an excuse for reading a "child's" book

fesperman58
7/31/2005, 07:39 PM
I just bought this...I want to read this to my 5 month old...that way I have an excuse for reading a "child's" book
Read Lewis's dedication at the beginning of Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Cam
7/31/2005, 07:46 PM
Just finished "The Last Jihad".

Not sure what I'll start next.

GDC
7/31/2005, 07:57 PM
Fear and Loathing: On The Campaign Trail '72-Hunter Thompson

The Colonel and Little Missie-Larry McMurtry

opksooner
7/31/2005, 08:01 PM
Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

jk the sooner fan
7/31/2005, 08:13 PM
founding brothers is a GREAT book

and fwiw - i dont read my threads either

royalfan5
7/31/2005, 08:31 PM
Concscience of a Conservative by Barry Goldwater
Collaspe by Jared Diamond
and a collection of Soren Kierkegaard's writings.

mikeelikee
7/31/2005, 08:57 PM
"The Enemy Within", by Michael Savage. Looking forward to his current hot-seller next ("Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"). :D

KaiserSooner
8/1/2005, 12:10 AM
I'm looking forward to reading Diamond's Collapse when I get a chance.

Today I just finished his Guns, Germs and Steel. His theory on the development of human societies....that it has more to do with environmental factors than racial factors...is very convincing.

Blue
8/1/2005, 12:17 AM
"Blacks, Rednecks, and White Liberals," by Dr. Thomas Sowell, a well-known conservative black sociologist and writer. He has some interesting theories. I'm early in the book, but the gist of it appears to be the socioeconomic conditions of blacks are the result of the negative influence of the backward white redneck culture of the South, rather than from racism. He points to evidence showing how white Southerners and blacks, who mostly lived in the South, share so many socioeconomic conditions - lack of education, high sexual behavior and teen pregnancy, anti-intellectual attitudes, propensity to crime and violence, false and undeserved pride, hypermasculinity at the expense of intellect, dependence on government entitlements, etc.

He goes on to point out the blacks who moved out of the South have done so much better, not because of their escape from racism, but rather the leaving of the backward redneck culture of the South. He cites studies which show Northern blacks have significantly higher IQs than Southern whites as evidence for his theories.

I have yet to formulate concrete opinions on the subject, but I am not sure I
agree with Sowell's theories. Remember, he is a noted conservative writer and sociologist who writes a national column, and not some crackpot. I will try and reserve my opinions until I read the rest of the book.

This is why you should be careful what you fill your head with.

I guess those northern inner cities are what you'd call, "Cultural Centers of Enlightenment". Also, show me poor white trash in the south and I'll show you poor white trash everywhere else.

OklahomaTrombone
8/1/2005, 12:19 AM
I don't read much, but I think I'm going to buy the new Tony LaRussa book, "Three Nights in August" next time I'm near a book store. Don't mind reading if its about OU or one of my favorite pro teams.

I've thought about picking that up,I need a good sports book to read after reading that piece "Juiced" a few months ago.

jk the sooner fan
8/1/2005, 06:29 AM
this thread is pure SO bizarro.....normally somebody will ask a serious question which will be followed by more than a dozen goofy answers......

Rogue
12/29/2006, 08:55 PM
I am Charolette Simmons by Tom Wolfe...

Was this any good?

I almost picked it up this week but the line was too long at the checkout and I got impatient.

(How's that for a thread search?)

sooner_born_1960
12/29/2006, 09:35 PM
Cell.

ChickSoonerFan
12/29/2006, 11:56 PM
The Giver.

My daughter is reading it in 6th grade. I try to read what they are reading, make sure it is all appropriate and stuff.

Not bad so far.

MamaMia
12/30/2006, 07:55 AM
I'm happily thumbing through the OU Encyclopedia I got for my husband for Christmas. Wasn't that nice of me? :P

proud gonzo
1/11/2007, 10:55 PM
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I love this book.

Frozen Sooner
1/11/2007, 10:58 PM
The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins

royalfan5
1/11/2007, 10:59 PM
From Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas Friedman

Melo
1/11/2007, 11:05 PM
The Battle of Evernight - The Bitterbynde Book III - Cecila Dart-Thornton.

For people interested in Fantasy/scifi, I suggest picking up these books.

proud gonzo
1/11/2007, 11:10 PM
The God Delusion, Richard Dawkinsooh, i've been wanting to read that one. He talked about it on the Colbert Report

OUAndy1807
1/11/2007, 11:12 PM
The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins
how is this? I got it for Christmas. I don't read much, so I'm debating if I should take the time or not.

Frozen Sooner
1/11/2007, 11:21 PM
ooh, i've been wanting to read that one. He talked about it on the Colbert Report

how is this? I got it for Christmas. I don't read much, so I'm debating if I should take the time or not.

Dawkins tends to make some logical leaps that seem unwarranted at times, but he's a good read. Whether his logic bears out I haven't spent the time to decide yet-I'm reading it through first then going back and checking his arguments. He has the same kind of gift Hawking has-making very complex science understandable.

If you're particularly religious, you'll probably be fairly incensed by some of what he has to say. I'm at the point of the book where Dawkins destroys many of the arguments people make in favor of the existence of God. He also excoriates the idea of NOMA pretty badly.

I just got done reading The End of Faith by Samuel Harris, which covers much of the same ground.

sooner_born_1960
1/11/2007, 11:37 PM
Forever Odd.

Tailwind
1/11/2007, 11:44 PM
Three To Get Deadly - Janet Evanovich......for the 30th time.

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2007, 11:58 PM
I just finished Eldest.

I've got another series that I started a while back. I'm on book 2 of 3.

Promise of the Witch-King (Forgotten Realms: The Sellswords, Book 2) (http://www.amazon.com/Promise-Witch-King-Forgotten-Realms-Sellswords/dp/0786940735/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/103-2814629-3544607) by R.A. Salvatore

whatsername
1/12/2007, 07:10 AM
The Innocent Man - Grisham

crawfish
1/12/2007, 08:36 AM
Dawkins tends to make some logical leaps that seem unwarranted at times, but he's a good read. Whether his logic bears out I haven't spent the time to decide yet-I'm reading it through first then going back and checking his arguments. He has the same kind of gift Hawking has-making very complex science understandable.

If you're particularly religious, you'll probably be fairly incensed by some of what he has to say. I'm at the point of the book where Dawkins destroys many of the arguments people make in favor of the existence of God. He also excoriates the idea of NOMA pretty badly.

I just got done reading The End of Faith by Samuel Harris, which covers much of the same ground.

I've watched a number of his specials and interviews on this subject. He's not above using cheap methods to discredit religion from what I've seen. His arguments hold up pretty well against strict fundamentalism - not so well against others.

Oh, and I'm reading "The Magic Labyrinth" by Philip Jose Farmer, fourth in the "Riverworld" series. Very compelling novels, can't wait to see all the questions finally revealed.

Mjcpr
1/12/2007, 09:06 AM
Access 2003 for Dummies. :O

TUSooner
1/12/2007, 09:17 AM
currently i'm working on "Finding your inner sense of humor" by William F. Buckley Jr
Bill is actualky a pretty funny guy.

Faith, a spy novel by Len Deighton, followed by Hope and Charity

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 09:22 AM

hmmm, well apparently that book was a waste of money for me

RacerX
1/12/2007, 09:22 AM
I'm reading spek comments.

TopDaugIn2000
1/12/2007, 10:15 AM
I've started reading Connelly's Harry Bosch series, just finished "Black Echo" (the first) and moving on to "The Black Ice"

Just finishing up Grisham's "A Time To Kill" as well, have many others of his to read.

Also gonna start Erik Larson's "Isaac's Storm" and then "Thunderstruck", because I enjoyed "Devil in the White City" by Larson so damn much.

Picked up Robin Meyers' "Why the Christian Right Is Wrong: A Minister's Manifesto for Taking Back Your Faith, Your Flag, Your Future", which is good so far.

I have to read at least 3 or 4 books simultaneously, that's the A.D.D. in me.

TopDaugIn2000
1/12/2007, 10:18 AM
Was this any good?

I almost picked it up this week but the line was too long at the checkout and I got impatient.

(How's that for a thread search?)

sorry I'm just getting back to you!

Yes, I enjoyed it very much, but I really related to the book. I WAS the good little small town girl that discovered boys and booze after moving to college.
if bad language offends you, don't bother with this one though.

IB4OU2
1/12/2007, 10:29 AM
The Banner of Heaven by Robert Krakhaur.....this is an excellent book suggest reading for anyone that may consider moving to Utah. :D

Kels
1/12/2007, 10:45 AM
The Craft of Research by Booth
Exegetical Fallacies by Carson
Reformation in Foreign Missions by Finley
Goal Analysis by Mager

And two project dissertations that have really long titles, but I'll list them if you want.

Beef
1/12/2007, 10:48 AM
The Rise and Fall Of The Third Reich - William L. Shirer

Only 1176 pages to go.

skycat
1/12/2007, 12:36 PM
I'm going to try and read more this year.

I'm reading Something Wicked This Way Comes right now.

TexasLidig8r
1/12/2007, 12:42 PM
Brother Odd -- Koontz

Hannibal Rising -- Harris

sooneron
1/12/2007, 12:49 PM
Free - Andrew L Phelan

A book that is a collection of his letters when he was serving in Vietnam. It also has some letters written by an ancestor of his while serving in the Civil War. Good Stuff.

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2007, 12:56 PM
I've watched a number of his specials and interviews on this subject. He's not above using cheap methods to discredit religion from what I've seen. His arguments hold up pretty well against strict fundamentalism - not so well against others.

I think Harris does a better job of countering religious moderates than Dawkins does. I think you're right in that Dawkins tends to resort to some cheap shots, but I think his overall line of reasoning is sound.

I'm not so sure that his forays into theology are nearly as good as his initial explanations of evolutionary biology, but they sure are interesting.

Boarder
1/12/2007, 12:57 PM
I got it for Christmas.

:les: IRONY ALERT!

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2007, 12:57 PM

I wasn't going to say anything, 'cause it'd've been a cheap shot. But damn, I gotta give you props for at least being able to laugh at yourself.

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 12:58 PM
i do it MUCH more than anybody here realizes or knows....

oh, and i'm reading "flags of our fathers"

TUSooner
1/12/2007, 01:33 PM

Buckley's kinda funny anyway, even if he didn't write that book. :twinkies:

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 01:34 PM
yeah i realize he is but most dont know that.......it was really a shot at myself and my lack of a sense of humor

sooneron
1/12/2007, 01:59 PM
yeah i realize he is but most dont know that.......it was really a shot at myself and my lack of a sense of humor
and yet, we aren't laughing..:texan:

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 02:00 PM
exactly, which is why i said the book was a waste of time

Beef
1/12/2007, 02:06 PM
The Rise and Fall Of The Third Reich - William L. Shirer

Only 1176 pages to go.
What kind of a tard reads a book that tells you the ending in the title?

soonervegas
1/12/2007, 02:32 PM
Into thin Air.

I am kind of on an Mt. Everest kick right now.

TexasSooner01
1/12/2007, 03:10 PM
soonerfans.com south oval to be exact.

TexasLidig8r
1/12/2007, 03:10 PM

You have a good sense of humor at those Dallas lunches....

you whornlover you! ;)

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 03:19 PM
shhhhhhhh

TMcGee86
1/12/2007, 04:10 PM
One Monday We Killed Them All - John D. MacDonald

birddog
1/12/2007, 04:20 PM
the expectant father- armin brott

sooneron
1/12/2007, 04:30 PM
I guess I should be reading some baby raising books...

TUSooner
1/12/2007, 08:31 PM
exactly, which is why i said the book was a waste of time
Stop it;yer killin me!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

:rolleyes:

royalfan5
1/12/2007, 08:47 PM
A Grand Delusion-Robert Mann

SoonerInKCMO
1/12/2007, 09:00 PM
I finished up Why My Wife Thinks I'm An Idiot by Mike Greenberg (of Mike & Mike In The Morning fame) a few days ago and I'm about halfway through Shampoo Planet by Douglas Coupland and a couple of chapters into 1920 - The Year of the Six Presidents.

Greeny's book was comprised mostly of his journal entries that he started at the suggestion of his therapist to combat the anxiety he experienced when trying to get his wife pregnant the first time. It was pretty good - I'd recommend it.

The Coupland book is well written like most of his work is... but it seems a bit dated because of the slang and pop culture references used.

1920 is good so far. I've only read about 50 pages so I haven't gotten too far. It's the story of the 1920 election which happens to be the only election we've had where six current, future and former presidents participated. I hope it's good.

Pricetag
1/12/2007, 09:00 PM
I'm reading Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank.

It's about a nuclear war between the United States and the Soviet Union and the aftermath in a small Florida town, away from the destruction. I'm only about a third of the way through, but it seems like it might end up a lot like the new CBS show "Jericho," only without the mystery and intrigue about what happened.

It was written in the late 1950's. I was really curious to read it because it seems to me like many assumed something like that would eventually happen back then.

OKC Sooner
1/12/2007, 09:14 PM
I just finished reading the story of the Amazing Rocket Car at http://www.rocketcarstory.com/. I once read a story from Snopes.com or Darwin Awards, can't remember which, about some guy that welded a JATO rocket to the back end of his car, went out to test it and ended up flying into the side of a mountain. This is the story of what really happened, it's a long read but worth it :D

birddog
1/12/2007, 09:21 PM
I guess I should be reading some baby raising books...

i think you have kids already, verdad?

he's got another book dealing with your baby's first year. i'm a first-timer so i need all the help i can get.

it's a pretty helpful book.

OhU1
1/12/2007, 09:38 PM
"The Last Lion" by William Manchester about Winston Churchill. Just finished "American Caesar" about Douglas MacArthur also by William Manchester. Both books were signed by the author.

William Manchester was the brother of my next door neighbor. Manchester knew the Kennedy family and wrote "Death of a President". When I helped my neighbor move in 2005 one of the boxes I carried out of his closet was full of letters and writings by John F. Kennedy that William Manchester must have given my neighbor (his younger brother). My neighbor just had these valuable historical writing just tucked away in the corner of his closet with the Christmas decorations!

My neighbor was Robert E. Manchester who was the biggest OU fan I ever knew. He was a great man himself. He was killed in a senseless auto accident June 3, 2006. Bob was sitting in traffic at a stop light at 36th and Main SW of the mall by Blockbuster Video on a clear calm day when some riff raff plowed into him at high speed from behind. The bum who smashed into Bob's stopped car then stole a Norman Police car to get away as the police officer dragged my neighbor's body from the burning car. The bum smiled and waved at the officer as he drove away from the scene.

sooneron
1/12/2007, 10:07 PM
i think you have kids already, verdad?

he's got another book dealing with your baby's first year. i'm a first-timer so i need all the help i can get.

it's a pretty helpful book.
Ooh, thanks. As the day gets nearer, I find myself more and more nervous about rearin and such.

Watching my step Mom mind**** my half sister last weekend doesn't help.