PDA

View Full Version : OU's Gray impresses at Team USA trials

msteudem
7/26/2005, 09:42 AM
OU's Gray impresses at Team USA trials

By Justin Harper
The Oklahoman

DALLAS - There were more important people in the gym to impress, but Taj Gray obviously made an impact on the five guys waiting courtside to play some pickup ball at Southern Methodist's Moody Coliseum.
"See what that guy from Oklahoma did?" one of them asked.

"Oklahoma or Oklahoma State?" asked another.

"No. 22 out there," came clarification. "That's Taj Gray, he's from Oklahoma."

"Well, he took Rudy Gay to the rack this morning. And yesterday, oooh man, he swatted the crap out of J.J. Redick."

"Yeah, Redick hasn't looked that good."

"Nah, it's not like that. No. 22 is just that good."

So far, through seven practices at the USA under-21 national team trials, that seems to be the consensus from those watching the OU senior. Gray, a 6-foot-9, 238-pound forward, was one of 20 of the nation's top collegiate players (born on or after Jan. 1, 1984) who were invited to try out for the U.S. squad that will compete in the 2005 FIBA U21 World Championships in Argentina from Aug. 5-14.

Sunday was the first round of team cuts, taking the team from 20 players to 16. The final cuts, which will trim the roster to 12 players, will happen Wednesday or Thursday.

Gray was never in jeopardy. Actually, injuries sort of took care of the first round of cuts. Oklahoma State's JamesOn Curry (sore left knee), Connecticut's Josh Boone (back spasms) and Kansas' C.J. Giles (hip pointer) all left the SMU campus Saturday to rest their injuries. That left just one cut to make and Michigan State's Shannon Brown was released.

There was little reason for Gray to fret the first cutdown day, but he wasn't taking anything for granted.

"It's hard to say," said last season's Big 12 Newcomer of the Year. "I don't really know a straight answer on whether I think I'll make this team or not. I hope I get to stay. But, it's a process. You have to make the right impression."

Gray has already done that. And to more than just the fivesome watching a practice session, two of who were snapping digital pictures of Gray and others with their cell phones.

"I didn't really get a chance to see Taj much during the school year," said Team USA coach Phil Martelli of Saint Joseph's. "I heard great things about him from the Nike Camp. But through these first few days, I've seen a very strong player both mentally and physically. He's tough. A tough player. That's what I've observed."

For most of the past month, Gray has been working with much of the top talent in the nation. Gray, along with OU teammate Terrell Everett, served as a Nike Camp counselor two weeks ago, training some of the nation's top prospects. After a short visit home in Wichita, Kan., Gray headed to Dallas last Wednesday for the national team trials.

"There are a lot of good players here," said OU coach Kelvin Sampson of the trials. "Some really good players are going to be cut. But Taj is one of the best players here."

Sampson attended Thursday's opening practice sessions in Dallas and evaluated Gray's showing.

"Taj has improved a lot from last year," Sampson said. "He's so much bigger and stronger. His greatest strengths are his relentlessness and his athleticism. I saw him get some easy baskets in transition, and that's against some of the best players in the country."

For Gray, having Sampson around for a critique is handy. After all, Sampson was the head coach of the 2004 USA U21 world championship qualifying team that won a gold medal a year ago in Nova Scotia.

"He gives me advice, tips on what I need to do specifically," said Gray.

Sampson said: "What I told him is, 'Make sure you realize how important these practices are.' It doesn't matter if you're an All-American or a national champion. All that matters here for this team is what you do in these practices. And Taj has looked really good."

Particularly when he swatted away a shot by Duke's Redick.

"Yeah, I got him pretty good," Gray grinned. "It was one of those where I got him from behind, and he never knew where I came from. He didn't even see me, so it wasn't really that big of a deal. When you're playing with guys this good, there are a lot of good plays. I'm just doing what I can."

I just hope he doesn't get injured. That is the only thing that worries me about these offseason events.

GottaHavePride
7/26/2005, 12:40 PM
:norm: hates basketball.

Sooner04
7/27/2005, 02:27 PM
Taj is definitely a beast, but he'll be All-World if he polishes up a few more moves to the basket.

Nice to see he's getting some attention on the national stage.

King Crimson
7/27/2005, 02:32 PM
Taj is definitely a beast, but he'll be All-World if he polishes up a few more moves tot he basket.

Nice to see he's getting some attention on the national stage.

I'd like to see him make some free throws.

stoopified
7/27/2005, 03:25 PM
Learn to play hard all the time and play smart,avoid stupid fouls.Make the little plays, everyone makes the big ones.