PDA

View Full Version : I don't know if this has been mentioned here or not...

TopDawg
7/22/2005, 11:28 PM
...but have y'all heard that they're putting 600 student seats "courtside" this year? They'll have 200 behind the benches, 200 on the west side and 200 on the north side.

Should be fun to see how it turns out.

OklahomaTrombone
7/22/2005, 11:45 PM
wow.

Hopefully they won't go to the duschebags.

Stanley1
7/22/2005, 11:54 PM
wow.

I believe that is "*********", fyi. :D

OklahomaTrombone
7/23/2005, 12:06 AM
only a duschebag knows how to spell duschebag.

;)

Sooner24
7/23/2005, 12:09 AM
I think duschebag is the German spelling. :D

GottaHavePride
7/23/2005, 12:58 PM
wow.

Yeah, those will probably wind up going to Kelvin's Krew, or some other lame group that Joe C. comes up with as a substitute for actual fan involvement. ;)

OklahomaTrombone
7/23/2005, 01:15 PM
Or the sorority girls that just stand/sit there.

GoOwls
7/25/2005, 10:48 PM
how about 200 girls behind each basket in extra tight shirts? to get the seats, they have to jump up and down for every freethrow by the oposition.

GottaHavePride
7/25/2005, 11:52 PM
how about 200 girls behind each basket in extra tight shirts? to get the seats, they have to jump up and down for every freethrow by the oposition.
200 girls dressed like that would still be less effective than just one White Gravy.

PrideTrombone
7/25/2005, 11:54 PM
200 girls dressed like that would still be less effective than just one White Gravy.

Indeed, sir.

Sooner04
7/26/2005, 08:37 AM

jk the sooner fan
7/26/2005, 08:47 AM
i seem to remember this pissing off some season ticket holders........

TopDawg
7/26/2005, 09:41 AM
i seem to remember this pissing off some season ticket holders........

I don't doubt that. And if it did, then I applaud Joe C. all the more for doing it. Not because it pissed off donors, but because it needed to be done and he was willing to upset a few people to do it.

I don't know for sure, but I bet those seats will be GA just like the rest of the student section. First come, first served. Some of them might go to KK and/or Crimson Pride, but certainly(?) not all 600.

King Crimson
7/26/2005, 09:57 AM
i don't see it how would **** off donors. they still have LE seats.

didn't we have seats around the court when Billy was here?

the demonization of donors in hoops at OU is something i find quite intereesting.

Sooner04
7/26/2005, 09:59 AM
Yeah, let's move the people back that come to the games to make room for students who never show up. That'll send the right message.

Never mind that the bigwigs in the athletic department f*cked up the LNC renovation four years ago. Texas got it right and we got it even more wrong than before.

Nice work, Joe C.

Mjcpr
7/26/2005, 10:30 AM
Sometimes I detect a hint of dislike for Joe C. from you 04.

TopDawg
7/26/2005, 10:45 AM
Yeah, let's move the people back that come to the games to make room for students who never show up. That'll send the right message.

Never mind that the bigwigs in the athletic department f*cked up the LNC renovation four years ago. Texas got it right and we got it even more wrong than before.

Nice work, Joe C.

Actually, they're making room for the students who DO show up. Those will be the ones who will be filling those seats. Plus it sends the message to people watching on TV that the LNC is an exciting place to be. And that's the message they're after. Not the "the only people who care about OU basketball are old and crusty and just sit there in their non-OU hats" message.

How would you have done the previous renovation differently? I didn't agree with the way they did it either, but I heard they were somewhat limited in their options. More limited than I thought anyway.

Sooner04
7/26/2005, 11:44 AM
Frank Erwin Center (http://www.uterwincenter.com)

http://www.uterwincenter.com/images/maps/chartMen.jpg

PrideTrombone
7/26/2005, 11:50 AM
How would you have done the previous renovation differently? I didn't agree with the way they did it either, but I heard they were somewhat limited in their options. More limited than I thought anyway.

I'd have torn it down and started over.

Really, I don't think the donors or the students show up at a very high percentage. We routinely "sell out" the LNC, only to have 3-4,000 seats empty. At least this way, we'll get some people around the lower part of the arena that'll look like they want to be there. Not that you can see the lower part on TV because the renovations didn't much help at all, but whatever.

the_ouskull
7/26/2005, 12:17 PM
Anything that gets our REAL fans closer to the court, I'm all for it. Disbanding the "Spirit" Council and making Kelvin's Krew like it was in the mid 90's would be a hell of a start too...

the_ouskull

TopDawg
7/26/2005, 12:46 PM
I'd have torn it down and started over.

Well, heck, if you're dreaming that way, you're dreaming too small. I would've sold the LNC to Norman to use as a convention center and then built a new basketball arena around the fieldhouse ala GIA.

Really, I don't think the donors or the students show up at a very high percentage. We routinely "sell out" the LNC, only to have 3-4,000 seats empty. At least this way, we'll get some people around the lower part of the arena that'll look like they want to be there. Not that you can see the lower part on TV because the renovations didn't much help at all, but whatever.

It was unclear to me exactly how close those new seats will be. I'm not sure if they'll actually be on the floor, or part of the existing seats.

OklahomaTrombone
7/26/2005, 01:23 PM
I posted this in a thread a long time ago, then re-posted it...so I'll repost it again.

As much as I would love for it to happen. It isn't gonna happen for a while.

As I kinda stated earlier in another thread here is what I would like to see....

I would like to see a 8,000-10,000 seat Basketball arena on Campus with a limited amount of Club seating and suites. This could either be a renovated field house or a new site built by the duck pond. I'm trying to remember how much land is over there by memory, but I think there is enough.

There would be no student seating in an upper bowl, if constructed with one. Students would be on three sides of the court with them as close to the action as possible, the students seating behind the basket would be your standard fair, with them taking up a large portion of the seating. The student section along the sideline would only be 3-5 rows deep, much like it is at Duke, etc. Approx. 1,500-2,500 student seats.

You could put the halways to the locker room in a corner, not in the middle of the endline.

If I could draw I'd make a little drawing of what this would all look like, but I can't.

The LNC would be be retrofitted to fit a hockey rink in it so our hockey team could play in Norman. It would still be used for all the other multipurpose things that go on like wrestling, gymnastics, etc.

But since that isn't really feasable....here is what I would like to see done.

Take out the removable seating on the non-bench side at the LNC, put students there. Put students at the southwest floor space, where the media stuff currently is, and move the media to the other side. Instead of keeping the circle shape all the way down on the floor, put the students as close to the court as possible. The biggest thing I've noticed about watching games on TV is that when something exciting happens you only get a small corner of the crowds reaction, where you watch other basketball games and you are able to get a larger chunk of people on the normal sideline shot that is used in games. Putting the students closer to the court would help this problem.

On to tickets....I understand that if you buy basketball season tickets it helps you accumulate points to either getting football season tickets or improving your football seats. Change it to where you must attend at least 75% of the basketball games for that to be true. Now it doesn't have to be you attending the game, you can give you ticket to someone, sell it, do whatever you want to do with it. But there must be a butt in that seat 75% of the time that our boys are working their tails off. If you don't meet the 75% attendance rate, then the "points" don't count. Too bad, so sad.

Student section.....this is kinda radical and it would probably **** a whole bunch of people off...but I would love to see it happen....for every game that the student section isn't full, reduce the number of student tickets for the next game. After 3 consecutive student sell outs at the lower level bump it back up to its former capacity, so if there were two non-full student sections it would take six full student sections to get it back to full capacity.

I'm sure this sounds like pure crap to a lot of people...but I think it could work...but then again....I could be wrong.

Thoughts?

TopDawg
7/26/2005, 02:22 PM
Here's another thing that I don't know if it has been mentioned here or not. Something you said in the post you quoted reminded me of it. It's from a handout that the students attending Camp Crimson are getting:

Students will earn points for attending athletic events. These points will be used to prioritize student access to high-demand athletic events. The points that students earn during their tenure at OU will transfer to the Sooner Club upon graduation.

My first thought is: THIS IS BRILLIANT. Probably not the first school to do this, but I think it's a great idea.

My second thought is: I think a good way to give points would be with some sort of student attendance ratio. For instance, you get X number of points divided by the percentage of the student population that attended that same event. So you'd get fewer points for attending FB and MBB games than you would for soccer or volleyball. And, for that matter, you'd likely get fewer points for attending the OU/OSU MBB game than the OU/Louisiana-Monroe game.

OklahomaTrombone
7/26/2005, 02:57 PM
Thats awesome.

stoopified
7/27/2005, 04:30 PM
As for the big money donors in the lower sections,I have said for years if the seat is empty at tip-off(or maybe 10 minutes after) all empty seats should be availible to a SRO ticket holder who is actually there.

stoopified
7/27/2005, 04:35 PM
I should point out I am one of those who buys SRO ,restricted admission, or whatever you choose to call them tickets.I live 130 miles from Norman and season B-ball tickets are not practical.Football tickets are barely so at todays prices.

Sooner24
7/27/2005, 05:15 PM
I have heard that they are going to start giving Sooner Club points to people that not only buy BUT ATTEND other OU sporting events. I guess since they now scan the tickets, and if you are a seson ticket holder in say mens basketball, you would be better off making sure that someone got the ticket and used it then letting it go to waste. This does not apply just to students from what I hear.

soonerguild
7/28/2005, 03:48 AM
they should do something for attendence to games for students too though, me and a buddy of mine bought and attended every ou football game and every home bball game last year and a vast majority of the baseball game, and arrived early might i add, and we get no preference over a sorority goes to the big the games late and makes no noise, or over the students who just intend to sell their tickets, especially RRS tickets.