PDA

View Full Version : I'm I the only Sooner fan that would trade......

Sooner24
7/22/2005, 10:18 PM
One of our football National Championships for one in basketball? I still get a sick feeling when I think about the 88 title game. :(

Sooner24
7/23/2005, 11:51 AM
I guess I am a party of one.

TopDawg
7/26/2005, 11:03 AM
I need some clarification. Are you saying you'd trade in one for a NC this year (or the near future) or are you saying you'd trade one to have the '88 one in the trophy case?

I might trade a FB NC to win a basketball NC in the next coupla years. Hopefully we won't have to, though.

OUgradJeff
7/26/2005, 11:06 AM
One of our football National Championships for one in basketball? I still get a sick feeling when I think about the 88 title game. :(

I'm as big of an OU basketball fan as there is, but you can't mess w/football. The 88 team had their chance & couldn't quite pull it out. That's just the way it goes. Who knows maybe one day we'll pull a Kansas on somebody else.

PrideTrombone
7/26/2005, 11:55 AM
I'd make the trade. Maybe one of the "consecutive" years (55, 56, 74, or 75). The football team would be in about the same position it is now, cause the history would still be just fine, but the basketball program wouldn't have that "never won the big one" stigma.

Sooner04
7/26/2005, 03:42 PM
I'd trade the '75 national championship for one in '88.

The '88 basketball team was far and away the best in the country. They just played the wrong team on the wrong night in the wrong town. Play it anywhere else and we drill them, just like we did the previous two times we played them that season.

OU will never field a football team as lucky as the '75 squad. They should've tied Colorado and lost to Missouri. Kansas beat them by 20 and a late touchdown by Horace Ivory against Texas very easily could've been ruled out of bounds. To top it all off, they needed an Ohio State loss in the Rose Bowl just for the opportunity to play for the national title.

In terms of who deserves what:
'88 > '75

stoopified
7/27/2005, 01:51 PM

The '88 basketball team was far and away the best in the country. They just played the wrong team on the wrong night in the wrong town. Play it anywhere else and we drill them, just like we did the previous two times we played them that season.

OU will never field a football team as lucky as the '75 squad. They should've tied Colorado and lost to Missouri. Kansas beat them by 20 and a late touchdown by Horace Ivory against Texas very easily could've been ruled out of bounds. To top it all off, they needed an Ohio State loss in the Rose Bowl just for the opportunity to play for the national title.

'88 > '75
While I would not surrender an NC in football to redeem the '88 b-ball team your point is well taken, I have often said the '75 team was our least deserving number one.I too hope someday that we sneak up and pull a DANNY AND THE MIRACLES on someone and get that elusive b-ball title soon.
Could we give up a gymnastics title instead?

King Crimson
7/27/2005, 02:42 PM
you are not alone 24. 88 was my most painful sports loss ever. i don't think anything could touch it.

even still, it makes me angry. uuhh.

Sooner24
7/27/2005, 05:10 PM
you are not alone 24. 88 was my most painful sports loss ever. i don't think anything could touch it.

OU has NEVER lost a football game that hurt me like that 88 Title game does. :(

King Crimson
7/27/2005, 09:11 PM
OU has NEVER lost a football game that hurt me like that 88 Title game does. :(

not even close.

i've posted it before but the cruel irony of losing to Kansas at ****ing Kemper Arena makes me want to stab a rusty fork in the back of my hand.

Harry Beanbag
7/27/2005, 09:47 PM

OU has NEVER lost a football game that hurt me like that 88 Title game does.
Me too. :(

Frank905
7/27/2005, 11:21 PM
That 88 Title game was the "FIRST" time I cried about a Sooner game!

Sooner04
7/28/2005, 09:01 AM
The whole premise of Kansas getting to that game makes me sick. Their region absolutely fell apart, so much so that they had to play a 4-seed, K-State, in the Elite 8 for the right to play in the Final Four. That team had more good karma going for it than any other college basketball team ever. I don't think its close.

And why did it have to be that year? Why couldn't we have played them for the title in the Superdome in '87, or the Kingdome in '89? It just had to be in KC in '88, and for that I will always be sick. It's kinda like playing Miami for the title in the Orange Bowl or LSU in the Sugar Bowl.

Although the latter two won't ever touch the pain of letting the BBall title slip away. You could make a case that Miami and LSU were both better than us that year and you'd probably be right. Fact is we owned KU both times we played them in '88 leading up to the title game and we were in the process of doing it again being up 66-60 with only a few minutes to go.

I'm not sure they missed a shot the rest of the way. :(

stoopified
7/30/2005, 12:38 AM
not even close.

i've posted it before but the cruel irony of losing to Kansas at ****ing Kemper Arena makes me want to stab a rusty fork in the back of my hand.
Danny Manning was the one I wanted to stab.

Sooner24
7/30/2005, 09:27 AM
Danny Manning was the one I wanted to stab.

How about Larry Brown? :mad:

soonervegas
7/30/2005, 09:17 PM
I have this strange feeling that OU is going to win their 1st Basketball National Title before OU wins their 8th National Title in football. Kelvin is getting this program close and it could happen this year. I do agree......88 Basketball was the worst loss in any big time setting, in any sport for OU.

Blue
7/31/2005, 12:39 AM
No trade. Not even if we had 20 Football national titles.

Sooner24
7/31/2005, 02:06 PM
No trade. Not even if we had 20 Football national titles.

1975 in a heartbeat. :D

GDC
7/31/2005, 08:08 PM

'88 > '75

The '88 situation hurt like hell, but no way does a basketball title measure up to a football championship. Also, I think if a person were actually alive when it happened it means a little more to them.

Sooner04
7/31/2005, 09:06 PM
The '88 situation hurt like hell, but no way does a basketball title measure up to a football championship. Also, I think if a person were actually alive when it happened it means a little more to them.
Very true about being alive, but if someone asked me for a 2004 football title or an '88 basketball title I'd go with '88 in a heartbeat too.

Just being one of the rare schools to win one in football, basketball and baseball would be so sweet to me.

King Crimson
7/31/2005, 09:17 PM
just to point out the obvious, and to continue the bloodletting: Oklahoma played for and lost BOTH the 1988 national championships in football and basketball . KU in Kansas City, Miami in Miami.

talk about what an accomplishment to win both of those in the same year--though Miami was a better team so i don't fret that one.

Sooner24
7/31/2005, 09:28 PM
The '88 situation hurt like hell, but no way does a basketball title measure up to a football championship.

Tell that to people in the states of North Carolina, Kentucky and Indiana.

I also don't agree. There is not a bit of difference in the prestige of the two with the exception one of them is recognized by the NCAA as a true champion....and it isn't football.

GDC
7/31/2005, 09:49 PM
Tell that to people in the states of North Carolina, Kentucky and Indiana.

I also don't agree. There is not a bit of difference in the prestige of the two with the exception one of them is recognized by the NCAA as a true champion....and it isn't football.

Given this is a Sooner board I didn't feel it was necessary to specify that I meant a football title is much more important in the state of Oklahoma. At the same time, I still would love for Coach Sampson to bring one home, or for Coach Tubbs to have done so.

stoopified
8/7/2005, 12:20 AM
I'll bet we win a b-ball national title before osu wins a football title, any takers?

Big Red Ron
8/7/2005, 12:03 PM
This thread indicates the fallacy that a "play off" or tournament produces a pure champion. As a matter of fact, the best team doesn't win quite often.