PDA

View Full Version : Any "Journey" fans?

Soonerbabeinbama
7/22/2005, 09:42 AM
I was listening to a "Best of Journey Live 1981-1983" cd last night - reading the info on the inside (which I normally never do) I noticed that some of the songs were recorded at a concert in Norman on July 19, 1983. Said "these long missing live tapes were unearthed in late 1997 in one of Sony's tape storage facilities. These tapes, after years of storage, had to be baked in an oven to allow a one-time only transfer to digital tape". So there is a little Friday morning trivia for you. Voices don't get much better than Steve Perry's.

salth2o
7/22/2005, 09:46 AM
I love Journey. They are coming to Houston in late September and I will be there!

Okla-homey
7/22/2005, 09:46 AM
I was listening to a "Best of Journey Live 1981-1983" cd last night - reading the info on the inside (which I normally never do) I noticed that some of the songs were recorded at a concert in Norman on July 19, 1983. Said "these long missing live tapes were unearthed in late 1997 in one of Sony's tape storage facilities. These tapes, after years of storage, had to be baked in an oven to allow a one-time only transfer to digital tape". So there is a little Friday morning trivia for you. Voices don't get much better than Steve Perry's.

I'm a fan too. Perry's is indeed one of the greatest voices of rock. Too bad he has emotional issues and dropped out of the scene..

Anyway, I also think Perry's distinctive voice and incredible power and range is why nobody much ever tries to cover their songs. Its probably just too difficult to do justice to "Faithfully" or one of their other standards.

crawfish
7/22/2005, 09:47 AM
They fell apart pretty quickly after "Escape"...but that remains one of my favorite albums.

oumartin
7/22/2005, 09:49 AM
little known fact. his aweseome vocals and range is a direct result of his oddly shaped and over shaped gonzo nose. Dude could flat our sing...One of my favorites "seperate ways"

Soonerbabeinbama
7/22/2005, 09:50 AM
Normally I'm not crazy about "live" albums - but this one is great. They do a really nice version of "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'"

Fugue
7/22/2005, 09:50 AM
They are here tomorrow with .38 Special. But, Perry has been replaced. Is there any reason to go see Journey without Perry?

oumartin
7/22/2005, 09:52 AM
They are here tomorrow with .38 Special. But, Perry has been replaced. Is there any reason to go see Journey without Perry

NO

Fugue
7/22/2005, 09:54 AM
NO

That's what I was afraid of. :(

Soonerbabeinbama
7/22/2005, 09:55 AM
little known fact. his aweseome vocals and range is a direct result of his oddly shaped and over shaped gonzo nose. Dude could flat our sing...One of my favorites "seperate ways"
kinda got a Barbra Streisand thing going I guess. If they got a nose job - there voice definitely wouldn't be the same.

BeetDigger
7/22/2005, 09:59 AM
They do a really nice version of "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'"

Shouldn't this post be in the bra thread? :eek:

Herr Scholz
7/22/2005, 10:02 AM
They are here tomorrow with .38 Special. But, Perry has been replaced. Is there any reason to go see Journey without Perry?
I saw them in Austin a couple of years ago with their new lead guy. Swear to God he sounds just like Perry. It was a great show. Scholz recommends.

jk the sooner fan
7/22/2005, 10:02 AM
"wheeeeeeel in the skyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.........turnin turnin turnin"

wonder if they're coming to dallas, i'd go see that

Soonerbabeinbama
7/22/2005, 10:13 AM
Shouldn't this post be in the bra thread? :eek:
Heh!! Touche

Fugue
7/22/2005, 10:14 AM
Heh!! Touch!

Is that an order? :D

Soonerbabeinbama
7/22/2005, 10:16 AM
Is that an order? :D
uh yeah, okay........ what the heck?

Fugue
7/22/2005, 10:19 AM
uh yeah, okay........ what the heck?

Heh!

SOONERKAT
7/22/2005, 12:23 PM
I have seen them at the Woodlands twice in the last 5 years, and the "replacement" for Perry is a guy named , I swear, is Steve Agueri(sp). He looks and sounds exectly like Perry, right down to the nose. If anything, Schon still rocks and the show is still as loud as ever. Nothing beats the house lights going down and the keyboard at the start of "Separate Ways" blaring through the speakers.

Perry is still a the best. I have often wondered what, if anything, he is doing now.

Boarder
7/22/2005, 12:44 PM
Dude, we said no more Steve Perry psyche outs!

someone had to do it

Scott D
7/22/2005, 01:03 PM
my wife likes Journey...me not so much.

yermom
7/22/2005, 01:06 PM
Dude, we said no more Steve Perry psyche outs!

someone had to do it

Steeeeve Perry

i grew up on that ****e

i'd see them if they came to OKC

KsSooner
7/22/2005, 01:42 PM
I saw them 2 or 3 years ago at Kansas State Fair...New Steve sounds just as good as Steve Perry and you can understand him. Or maybe I was too drunk in the olden days to hear. Anyway, big fan of Journey and would recommend them to anyone.

Mjcpr
7/22/2005, 01:46 PM
Can't stop....peeeeein'....
Hold on, I think I'm weaaaavin'....whoaohohhhhhh...

I got nothin'.

critical_phil
5/3/2006, 10:22 PM
I was listening to a "Best of Journey Live 1981-1983" cd last night - reading the info on the inside (which I normally never do) I noticed that some of the songs were recorded at a concert in Norman on July 19, 1983.

i think bryan adams opened this show. i was kinda busy trying to get my hands up a girls shirt. i think her name was evelyn.

as an aside, the south park "nanny" episode was on tonight....

Don't stop
Believin'
Hold on to the feelin’

Ike
5/3/2006, 10:47 PM
I like Journey as much as the next guy, but after last year, I can hold off on hearing "don't stop believing" for a few decades.

yermom
5/3/2006, 11:16 PM
nanny?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/3/2006, 11:54 PM
Anyone else see the Behind the Music? Steve Perry is bitter, bitter and thinks the band screwed him over.

GDC
5/4/2006, 07:43 AM
Of course we all know it was Randy Jackson that made Journey so great.:rolleyes:

soonerbrat
5/4/2006, 07:48 AM

i was probably at that concert!

i was almost 14 then...

yermom
5/4/2006, 07:50 AM
Anyone else see the Behind the Music? Steve Perry is bitter, bitter and thinks the band screwed him over.

i need to check that out

hopefully :dolemite: will be around ;)

5/4/2006, 08:09 AM
i think bryan adams opened this show.

Yes, it was Bryan Adams. He had one hit, Cuts Like A Knife, climbing the charts at that time. Journey sold out three shows in a matter of hours.

I need to get out the old Journey concert "baseball jersey" and see if it will stretch over my man cans.

Scott D
5/4/2006, 08:18 AM

it has nothing at all to do with Steve Perry trying a solo career that tanked and being a little troll of a man ;)

Scott D
5/4/2006, 08:18 AM
I like Journey as much as the next guy, but after last year, I can hold off on hearing "don't stop believing" for a few decades.

Journey made me glad Aaron Rowand got traded....he can now bludgeon Philly fans with Journey music :)

Skysooner
5/4/2006, 09:32 AM
I was at that concert in 1983. Bryan Adams opened for them. They sold out 3 shows as I recall. It ranks right up there as one of the best concerts I have been to next to Neil Diamond in Dallas in 1985. Neil did two shows in one night (each was 3.5 hours long). I was at the 2nd show that started at 11 pm, and we didn't get out until about 2:30 am.

Ike
5/4/2006, 01:46 PM
Journey made me glad Aaron Rowand got traded....he can now bludgeon Philly fans with Journey music :)

heh. Yeah, now if they can just make sure AJ isn't allowed near jukeboxes...

Fugue
5/4/2006, 01:52 PM
Can't stop....peeeeein'....
Hold on, I think I'm weaaaavin'....whoaohohhhhhh...

I got nothin'.

Broken Arms

:eddie:

walkoffsooner
5/4/2006, 01:56 PM
I saw them in Austin a couple of years ago with their new lead guy. Swear to God he sounds just like Perry. It was a great show. Scholz recommends.

I saw them in Sturgis last year that new guy sounds just like perry great show

Scott D
5/4/2006, 02:12 PM
heh. Yeah, now if they can just make sure AJ isn't allowed near jukeboxes...

And Crede :D

Boomer_Sooner_sax
5/4/2006, 02:33 PM
I met Steve Perry last year at the World Series in Houston. The guys is so cool! I was working the press box at Minute Maid Park and he came in after Game 3 and we talked for about 2 minutes. The next night, during Game 4, he came in and talked to me for about 20 minutes! Very nice but very short too!

dolemitesooner
5/4/2006, 02:36 PM
Journy is the scum below my balls. The lights went out in those mother ****ers heads a long time ago and you better stop beliveing that they were any good.

SoonerProphet
5/4/2006, 02:42 PM
Journy is the scum below my balls. The lights went out in those mother ****ers heads a long time ago and you better stop beliveing that they were any good.

yeah, i was never a big fan either. but to each their own.

jk the sooner fan
5/4/2006, 02:44 PM
they put on one hell of a show in concert

i like em

Soonerbabeinbama
5/4/2006, 07:10 PM
Scum below your balls huh? I don't believe I'd have told that. :cool:

Scott D
5/4/2006, 08:07 PM

maybe you need to take a course in testicular hygene.