PDA

View Full Version : They Drank the Kool Aid....Basketball Version

IronHorseSooner
7/18/2005, 11:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2108758

Herr Scholz
7/18/2005, 01:10 PM
You can't deny that Barnes has done a heck of a job getting UT basketball competitive. He recruits very well also. And unlike Brown, Barnes has actually won the Big XII. I wouldn't call us the favorites in the conference just yet but we're definitely up there. Seven straight trips to the tourney, a Big XII title and a Final 4 isn't bad.

JohnnyMack
7/18/2005, 02:36 PM
I applaud Barnes and the job he's done. But I ain't skeered of 'em.

P.J. Tucker = A dumb Jabhari Brown. :P

Herr Scholz
7/18/2005, 02:40 PM
P.J. Tucker = A dumb Jabhari Brown. :P
Whoa nelly. Tucker has an ugly shot but at least it goes in. Longhorn fans loved it when Brown tried to shoot. Tucker was named Big XII freshman of the year. He wasn't smart about his grades though.

snp
7/18/2005, 08:25 PM
The Big 12 title in football and basketball goes through Austin and Norman. No denying that.

It's gonna be a hell of a rivalry this year.

Herr Scholz
7/19/2005, 03:07 PM
I still can't believe that JR Giddens fiasco. I thought he was going to be the next Paul Pierce there.

Bourbon St Sooner
7/19/2005, 03:54 PM
Unfortunately, it's not Kool-Aid when it comes to their basketball program. Rick Barnes is a heck of a coach. Of course, outside of a two year stretch Kelvin has owned him.

I'm looking forward to this year. It's going to be a great conference chase.

Herr Scholz
7/19/2005, 04:14 PM
I'm looking forward to this year. It's going to be a great conference chase.
Agreed. And KU and OSU won't be as strong this season.

Sybarite
7/19/2005, 04:25 PM
Texas has the potential to be as good as OU. In order for that to occur, every one of Texas' players would have to be as good as they hope. Since none of them have played together, I doubt that happens. Texas will be an OK number two, if they meld.

Herr Scholz
7/19/2005, 04:39 PM
Texas has the potential to be as good as OU. In order for that to occur, every one of Texas' players would have to be as good as they hope. Since none of them have played together, I doubt that happens. Texas will be an OK number two, if they meld.
I wouldn't get the big head just yet. Wasn't OU supposed to make the Sweet 16 and Austin regional last year? OU only won a single game more than a very depleted UT squad in the tourney. I thought Lavendar and McKenzie were good players for you too.

Sybarite
7/19/2005, 05:24 PM
A conference championship trumps whatever Texas did.

Herr Scholz
7/19/2005, 05:53 PM
A conference championship trumps whatever Texas did.
I agree. But we were banged up last year. You guys were banged up in a similar fashion the year before and failed to make the tourney. For you to insinuate that OU is head and shoulders above UT is ridiculous. We could easily win the conference this year and all of our players don't have to be at 100%, as you say, to do it.

Sybarite
7/20/2005, 02:04 AM
The year before last, we were young, inexperienced, and banged up. I think only one member of that team is still with us. We developed some talent last year, enough to beat some good teams when they weren't banged up.

I think Texas has some raw talent, but only Buckman is steady. There is no telling what Aldridge is. Tucker may or may not play. Gibson can look great and horrible in the same game. It has to come together. Even then, I don't think Texas can contend with OU inside.

Herr Scholz
7/20/2005, 10:41 AM
I think Texas has some raw talent, but only Buckman is steady. There is no telling what Aldridge is. Tucker may or may not play. Gibson can look great and horrible in the same game. It has to come together. Even then, I don't think Texas can contend with OU inside.
I disagree. Tucker is an all-conference talent and a big matchup problem for teams. Mike Williams is a very strong 4. Buckman is tough as nails and Aldridge has tremendous scoring and shot blocking ability. I think our front line is every bit as tough as yours. Plus, we've got redshirt Connor Atchley coming off the bench. We'll be deeper and less prone to foul trouble than last year.

My concern is not the frontcourt, it's the backcourt. We've got a lot of new guards coming in to help Gibson and Paulino. Gibson is a huge talent as well. He was stellar after the first half of the season (which was his FR season BTW).

IronHorseSooner
7/20/2005, 11:19 AM
The reference to "drinking the Kool Aid" was more toward the media, not the Texas players or Coach Barnes. No doubt he has a quality program, but the way that this article was written, it seemed to dismiss OU. With the talent influx in Norman, OU could just as easily set on a run of conference titles (if nobody transfers :rolleyes: The remark about Aldridge being the best bigman in the league is quite a bit of a stretch. Taj Gray will be a pre-season all-american, and the center from A&M, Jones, is pretty darn good. Aldridge has yet to play a whole season and stay healthy....However, the match-ups, by position are going to be great:

C: Gray v. Aldridge
PF: Bookout v. Buckman
SF: Carter v. Tucker
G: Everett v. Gibson
G: Walker v. Paulino

I disagree about Tucker being a match-up problem for OU. Carter should be able to match pretty well.

Herr Scholz
7/20/2005, 11:25 AM
I don't dispute OU's talent or upside at all. My point was that UT and OU are pretty close, not the way Sybarite made it sound, that UT had to maximize our play to be near OU. Tucker is an inside/outside guy that gives a lot of teams trouble. He can take you off the dribble or back you down.

Cam
7/20/2005, 07:15 PM
Has Aldridge really proved anything? Didn't he get hurt pretty early last year?

Herr Scholz
7/21/2005, 10:12 AM
Has Aldridge really proved anything? Didn't he get hurt pretty early last year?
Yeah, he got hurt pretty early, but he had already led us in scoring and rebounding and blocked shots a few games. He's got huge upside.

Cam
7/23/2005, 11:44 AM
Yeah, he got hurt pretty early, but he had already led us in scoring and rebounding and blocked shots a few games. He's got huge upside.That's my point. Most early season games are against Popcorn State. Unless I've got my timing wrong, he didn't get to play against the best of competition.

Until he gets it done against the best teams on the schedule, it's just speculation on his upside.