PDA

View Full Version : Hockey in 2006

HoserSooner
7/7/2005, 01:29 PM
(For those who care that is.....)

Word around these parts is that a deal will be announced in the coming days that will bring hockey back for the coming season.

Now let's drop the f***ing puck.

GrapevineSooner
7/7/2005, 01:39 PM
Amen, eh? ;)

JohnnyMack
7/7/2005, 02:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2102235

Looks like it's close!

Scott D
7/8/2005, 03:47 PM
yeah, we like..let go of our head coach today eh......rumor is that we'll sign Mike Babcock to be the coach within days....get ready for more whining from Brian Burke.

Sooner24
7/8/2005, 10:06 PM
What is this hockey of which you speak?

tulsaoilerfan
7/9/2005, 12:00 PM
I'm ready.

mrowl
7/9/2005, 12:02 PM
did you mean 2005?

HoserSooner
7/10/2005, 10:53 PM
did you mean 2005?

Yes, sorry. Guess that should have read 2005/2006. :O

critical_phil
7/10/2005, 11:07 PM
is this guy playing?
http://nhl.speedera.net/photos/c/clark042400.jpg

if not,..................meh.....

Scott D
7/11/2005, 01:06 AM
is this guy playing?
http://nhl.speedera.net/photos/c/clark042400.jpg

if not,..................meh.....

Wendy quit playing a couple of years ago and has retired to his cottage with his boyfriend ;)

HoserSooner
7/11/2005, 07:47 AM
Wendy quit playing a couple of years ago and has retired to his cottage with his boyfriend ;)

Actually, he is still quite active in the Leafs' organization.

And the rumors of his homosexuality were rampant in the early-90's, but from what I understand have been debunked.

The guy was awesome to watch play though. :(

mrowl
7/11/2005, 08:41 AM
the Exec committee is meeting today in NY, the rumor is they are going over the new deal....

ben9
7/11/2005, 09:32 AM
the Exec committee is meeting today in NY, the rumor is they are going over the new deal....

Anything ever come of the partial centralized ownership proposal? As I understood it, some conglomerate wanted to buy the 16 underperforming teams and opperate them centrally ala MLS to avoid a slew of wasted managment costs which would free up the "lost revenue" numbers that weigh down GM's figures. I didn't think it had a shot back in the Spring but a full year without hockey probablly changes the players minds on the concept just a bit.

mrowl
7/11/2005, 10:32 AM
Anything ever come of the partial centralized ownership proposal? As I understood it, some conglomerate wanted to buy the 16 underperforming teams and opperate them centrally ala MLS to avoid a slew of wasted managment costs which would free up the "lost revenue" numbers that weigh down GM's figures. I didn't think it had a shot back in the Spring but a full year without hockey probablly changes the players minds on the concept just a bit.

no.

Scott D
7/12/2005, 12:36 AM

owners shot it down without a second thought....truthfully the only team it really would have benefitted would have been Pittsburgh.

ben9
7/12/2005, 08:46 AM
owners shot it down without a second thought....truthfully the only team it really would have benefitted would have been Pittsburgh.

Who I think they should axe rather than move to KC, along with the Panthers and perhaps Thrashers...my two cents.

HoserSooner
7/12/2005, 09:59 AM
Who I think they should axe rather than move to KC, along with the Panthers and perhaps Thrashers...my two cents.

I agree.

KC and Atlanta already had shots at a franchise years ago. Give Winnipeg another shot, and maybe a team in Saskatchewan or out east in Halifax. Canadians would support a new franchise in a snap. Fact is, hockey isn't and never will be that big in the southern states.

Scott D
7/12/2005, 06:51 PM
I agree.

KC and Atlanta already had shots at a franchise years ago. Give Winnipeg another shot, and maybe a team in Saskatchewan or out east in Halifax. Canadians would support a new franchise in a snap. Fact is, hockey isn't and never will be that big in the southern states.

With the bringing in of a salary cap, it shouldn't be too difficult for franchises to restabilize in Canada outside of the 'big two'. I found an old magazine of mine....the Faceoff Season Preview for 2000, and interestingly, it said that the next step in expansion for the NHL would be into Europe, which would most likely be able to be accomplished by merging with some European leagues to create a super-league. They also talked to the former creator of the original WHA who talked about how his vision would have had expansion in such a way that the WHA would have been divided into two conferences...North America and Europe.

KC couldn't hold an IHL franchise very well, and the Penguins will remain in Pittsburgh namely because the city council has blown their wad, and can't defend their position on the Penguins getting a new arena now that both the Steelers and Pirates have new homes.

TUSooner
7/12/2005, 08:28 PM
Please PLEASE give me a sports alternative to the NBA.

HoserSooner
7/12/2005, 09:38 PM
With the bringing in of a salary cap, it shouldn't be too difficult for franchises to restabilize in Canada outside of the 'big two'. I found an old magazine of mine....the Faceoff Season Preview for 2000, and interestingly, it said that the next step in expansion for the NHL would be into Europe, which would most likely be able to be accomplished by merging with some European leagues to create a super-league. They also talked to the former creator of the original WHA who talked about how his vision would have had expansion in such a way that the WHA would have been divided into two conferences...North America and Europe.

KC couldn't hold an IHL franchise very well, and the Penguins will remain in Pittsburgh namely because the city council has blown their wad, and can't defend their position on the Penguins getting a new arena now that both the Steelers and Pirates have new homes.

European league would be interesting, but I can't see it lasting that long. Might last a few years longer than the XFL. I have enough trouble saying up to catch games on the west coast, now I'll have to leave work early to catch the Leaf games in Europe. :D

TUSooner
7/12/2005, 09:41 PM
HEY! Get off my board! :D

Scott D
7/12/2005, 10:54 PM
European league would be interesting, but I can't see it lasting that long. Might last a few years longer than the XFL. I have enough trouble saying up to catch games on the west coast, now I'll have to leave work early to catch the Leaf games in Europe. :D

well like I said, it was from a season preview mag from back in 2000. It was part of their list of possible things the NHL could do in the 21st century.

HoserSooner
7/13/2005, 07:41 AM
What they may have a problem with though, is NHL rookies heading across the pond to make their millions, and then coming home to play in the NHL. From what I've heard of the new agreement, rookies are going to be capped at $850,000 for the first three years of their career.

Places in Europe could theoretically offer 10 times that amount to a Sidney Crosby, and he'd be dumb to not take it. Play for 3 years in Sweeden, bankroll your millions of dollars, and then come and win the cup.

HoserSooner
7/13/2005, 10:07 AM
Getting Closer..... (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2106776)

:)

Scott D
7/13/2005, 10:55 AM
I don't see Crosby heading across the pond to do that though....he like most Canadian kids grew up dreaming of playing in the NHL, and a team will always get creative with incentives in a contract to get around the rookie max salary.

HoserSooner
7/13/2005, 12:05 PM
From what some guy was telling me (could be full of **** for all I know), that incentives, signing bonuses etc. will be scaled down so that teams can't cheat around the cap to offer players more money.

So from what this guy was saying, a rookie won't be able to make much money over the first three years of his NHL career. And you're right, Crosby probably won't play in Europe because of his deal with Reebok and Gatorade lining his pockets, but some lesser knowns may consider playing for a few million and then coming back.

GrapevineSooner
7/13/2005, 12:22 PM
Now the real fun begins.

Who gets bought out of their contracts? (Bill Guerin, Mike Modano?)
Who gets first dibs on Crosby?
When do Bettman and Goodenow get fired by their respective clients?

HoserSooner
7/13/2005, 12:45 PM
Now the real fun begins.

I'm guessing that there will be a lot of free agents with contracts much smaller than they are used to. Rumor out of the Leafs' camp, is that Nolan, Nieuwendyk, and Roberts will all be cut loose.

Teams that had high payrolls (Detroit, Colorado, New York, Dallas, Toronto, etc.) are going to see much different rosters I'm thinking.

JohnnyMack
7/13/2005, 01:09 PM
The next step is for the players to beat Goodenow to death with their sticks for costing them so much money.

Goodenow will be out of a job by Christmas, book it.

HoserSooner
7/13/2005, 01:18 PM
The next step is for the players to beat Goodenow to death with their sticks for costing them so much money.

That is what I thought as well, but people forget the honey of a deal that he got the players back in the mid-90's. Probably one of the most one-sided contracts in pro sports history.

But he did drop the ball (or is it puck?) in a big way this time around.

Scott D
7/13/2005, 03:07 PM
Now the real fun begins.

It's hard to say, because 1) Players whom didn't have any guaranteed money for last season get no pay for last year, so that's money owners have saved. 2) part of the deal includes a salary rollback..that will help teams get a lot closer to reaching the expected cap max of $39 mil.

Word is that the entry draft will be in 3-4 weeks from now.

Bettman keeps his job...he delivered what the owners mandated....Goodenow needs to do some serious bridge repairing with the players...he's done well by them in the past, however he alienated a ton of them especially player reps by forcing them into the no cap whatsoever position last year, especially when the reps were in favor of discussing a cap, then after losing last season basically caving in to the owners (at least in appearance sake). Manny Legace who garners a ton of respect from me, and is one hell of a nice guy to boot put it best

DETROIT (AP) - Detroit Red Wings goalie Manny Legace criticized players' union head Bob Goodenow on Saturday for failing to reach a labor deal that could have saved the canceled 2004-05 season.

"We lost a season for no reason," Legace told The Associated Press. "We should've crumbled last September when the owners wanted a salary cap."

Despite at least one report indicating the NHL's labor situation is essentially resolved, the league and the players' association deny that is true.

The Los Angeles Times, citing anonymous sources close to the negotiations, said Thursday the agreement would feature a hard salary cap linked to 54 percent of league revenue, a 24 percent rollback of existing contracts and qualifying offers.

The salary cap would be $37 million and wouldn't include medical and dental benefits and pension payments, the newspaper reported.

"They're not going to announce anything until it's 100-percent finished and I'm sure they're not going to do it before the All-Star game," said Legace, referring to baseball's All-Star game Tuesday night in Detroit. "I'm hearing it's all but done and the lawyers have been looking over it, and that it could take 14 to 20 days."

Legace said Goodenow did a great job negotiating for the players in 1994, but the NHLPA executive director failed them during the current negotiations.

"It makes no sense what we ended up doing," Legace said. "For years, Bob was telling us, 'No cap. Owners aren't telling us the truth about their books.' Then out of nowhere, he gives the owners a 24-percent rollback and it looked like we were panicking.

"Then after saying we wouldn't even consider a salary cap, he backed down on that at the last minute just before the lockout. It was too late, and now we're taking a worse deal."

Legace said when he was a players' representative for the Red Wings during the 2003-04 season, he publicly said the union should accept a salary cap.

"Bob came to one of our games and screamed at me in our dressing room after I said that," Legace said. "He freaked out on me. He thought I was showing a sign of weakness."

NHLPA spokesman Jonathan Weatherdon said the union declined to respond to Legace's comments.

Commissioner Gary Bettman canceled the season Feb. 16 because of the lockout, which started Sept. 16. The NHL became the first major pro sports league in North America to lose an entire season to a labor dispute.

Free agency will be interesting...although I'm hearing there may be 'some' disputing whether or not players whom would have been in their final year of a contract last year are free agents now, or if they are under contract for this season because of there not being a season last year.

tulsaoilerfan
7/14/2005, 08:07 PM
Please PLEASE give me a sports alternative to the NBA.
The NBA could disappear forever and i would never miss it

JohnnyMack
8/1/2005, 11:08 AM

Make that Labor Day.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131693

Now we just need to rid ourselves of Bettman and put this long nightmare behind us.