PDA

View Full Version : Just When Things Couldn't Get Any Worse For The K.C. Royals...

AllAboutThe'O'
7/1/2005, 09:25 PM
From The Associated Press:
"Royals start game by batting out of order
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Kansas City Royals apparently gave umpires the wrong lineup card for Friday’s game against the Los Angeles Angels, losing out on a leadoff hit.
David DeJesus singled leading off against Paul Byrd. When Angel Berroa came to the plate to bat second, umpires called time and huddled in the infield.
After a few minutes, Berroa was called out and DeJesus was required to bat again. He flied out."

AllAboutThe'O'
7/1/2005, 09:53 PM
And the Royals get shut out on two hits by the Angels.
I was in K.C. a couple of weeks ago to see the Royals play, and it's such a dadgum shame that a beautiful ballpark like that and a franchise with a great baseball tradition and a city with a rich baseball tradition has to play host to the worst team not named the Devil Rays.

soonerjoker
7/2/2005, 03:46 PM
which franchise has the tradition, the one there now or the one that moved to oakland ???

OUthunder
7/2/2005, 05:15 PM
Kaufman Stadium deserves a better team than ownership has given them. It's very pathetic. if St. Louis can field a decent team, so can KC.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/3/2005, 07:08 PM
which franchise has the tradition, the one there now or the one that moved to oakland ???
Well, in those terms it's the Royals by a mile. When the A's were in Kansas City, they were essentially a farm team for the Yankees; those teams made a bunch of trades back in the day, including Roger Maris and others. Needless to say, the A's in K.C. weren't very good. The best thing that ever happened to Kansas City was when Finley moved the team to Oakland and Ewing Kauffman got the expansion Royals.
But the city has had great baseball tradition well before MLB invaded it. The K.C. Monarchs were arguably the most successful Negro League franchise in history and the K.C. Blues were the Yankees' top farm team (in fact, it's where Mickey Mantle got demoted after breaking in with the Yankees as a rookie in '51).
The Royals, in the pre-modern day expansion days, were perhaps the most successful expansion franchise in MLB. After starting in '69, they made the playoffs in their eighth season and went on to post playoff berths in '77, '78, '80 (first World Series year) and so forth, culminating in their '85 W.S. title. That's the Royals I grew up remembering and it's a shame to see a team that has had the success it has had, plus some of the more loyal fans you'll ever meet, fall like it has.

soonerjoker
7/4/2005, 08:54 AM
ALL
i agree with most of your post, & have @ times rooted for the
Royals.

i have to mention tho, mets were born in 62 & won series in 69.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/5/2005, 02:47 PM
ALL
i agree with most of your post, & have @ times rooted for the
Royals.

i have to mention tho, mets were born in 62 & won series in 69.
Yep, gotta give you props on that. Forgot about the Amazins.

TUSooner
7/12/2005, 09:01 PM
shameless post padding