PDA

View Full Version : Best Tirades Against Media Members, Athletes, Coaches and Officials

AllAboutThe'O'
6/30/2005, 12:08 AM
The Kenny Rogers brouhaha this evening got me to thinking: What are some of the memorable tirades that athletes and coaches have made against members of the media (reporters, TV people, cameramen)? You've undoubtedly seen a number of these on SportsCenter every now and then.
Here's a few to get the ball rolling:
Jim Everett flips out on Jim Rome for calling him "Chris."
Kansas City Royals manager Hal McRae erupts after a question by throwing tape recorders around his office (one of which strikes and bloodies a reporter's face).
Chargers quarterback Ryan Leaf goes off. "DON'T TALK TO ME ALL RIGHT. KNOCK IT OFF."
Mets outfielder Bobby Bonilla. "I'll show you the Bronx."
Jim Mora. Take your pick. "We played like diddly-poo," or "PLAYOFFS?! PLAYOFFS?!"
And of course there's Bobby Knight, but he deserves his own separate thread.

Scott D
6/30/2005, 12:31 AM
I say make it best tirades of all time...

George Brett (Pine Tar incident)
Dibble v. Pinella was a great one too.

GrapevineSooner
6/30/2005, 12:37 AM
There was some Oakland A's pitcher that had given up a game-winning homer several years ago. In the lockerroom, a MENSA reporter asked how he felt about the homer.

The pitcher's response?

"Hell yeah, I'm pissed! Wouldn't you be? You think I'm pissed?!!!

"I'm f***ing pissed!!!!!"

colleyvillesooner
6/30/2005, 12:38 AM
There was some Oakland A's pitcher that had given up a game-winning homer several years ago. In the lockerroom, a MENSA reporter asked how he felt about the homer.

The pitcher's response?

"Hell yeah, I'm pissed! Wouldn't you be? You think I'm pissed?!!!

"I'm f***ing pissed!!!!!"

"Write I'm ****ing pissed!"

Classic Drop

AllAboutThe'O'
6/30/2005, 01:04 AM
I say make it best tirades of all time...

George Brett (Pine Tar incident)
Dibble v. Pinella was a great one too.
As you wish.......
OK, how about John Chaney threatening to kill John Calipari while Calipari was coach at UMass? That clip never gets old.
Or, being the Detroiter you are, the "Malice At the Palace."

critical_phil
6/30/2005, 01:16 AM
i'll answer that one for chris......................

not really a tirade, but still a classic.

Rhino
6/30/2005, 10:03 AM
"I don't give a damn. He'd do the same thing to me," Winslow said. "It's war. They don't give a [expletive deleted] you know what about you. They will kill you. They're out to kill you. So I'm going to kill them. You write that in the paper. You write that. You make money off that ... If I didn't hurt him, he'd hurt me. They're gunnin' for my legs. I'm a soldier." http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper479/stills/103n402j.jpg

jk the sooner fan
6/30/2005, 10:10 AM
yeah the winslow tirade is the funniest simply because it showed what a marooon he is......

Scott D
6/30/2005, 10:38 AM
Reporter: "So you and coach Brown got caught up on Saturday about practice?"

Iverson: "If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. (laughter from the media crowd) We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about practice right now. (more laughter)

This still ranks up there.

AllAboutThe'O'
6/30/2005, 03:20 PM
Another classic rant:
After Kansas' basketball team loses in the NCAA championship game two years ago, CBS reporter Bonnie Bernstein asks Roy Williams if he has any interest in the vacant North Carolina job.
Williams: "I don't give a **** about North Carolina."
Postscript: Williams cared so little about UNC he led the school to the NCAA title back in April.

Another favorite:
Michigan football coach Lloyd Carr doesn't answer a question from ABC sideline reporter Todd Harris at halftime of the Wolverines' game against Ohio State two years ago, a game Michigan was WINNING handily. Carr just gave Harris the silent treatment and stormed off to the locker room.

TUSooner
7/12/2005, 09:07 PM
people suck