PDA

View Full Version : Baylor gets WHACKED by the NCAA......

Salt City Sooner
6/23/2005, 04:43 PM
All I can say is WOW.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2093250

Rhino
6/23/2005, 04:48 PM
Ouch.

That's crazy.

Sooner_Bob
6/23/2005, 04:53 PM
Can I say wow too? :D

Phil
6/23/2005, 04:54 PM
Zang!!!

That's some SERIOUS bidness right there.

OklahomaTrombone
6/23/2005, 09:13 PM
Any NCAA school that wants to hire Bliss in the next 10 years must appear before the Committee on Infractions to determine limitations on his activities. One former assistant will be subject to this procedure for seven years and two others for five years.

damn.

jthomasou78
6/23/2005, 09:15 PM
Am I the only one that thinks that the kids that are playing at baylor are really killed for this.

DO you think Baylor plays conference ball next year?

Cam
6/23/2005, 09:25 PM
Might as well have given the death penalty with the lack of non-con games.

ouflak
6/23/2005, 09:58 PM
Dang! You'd think there were some TV rights on the line or something.

batonrougesooner
6/23/2005, 10:02 PM
For Sale:

Two court-side tickets to the 2005 Baylor/SMU basketball game.

Make offer.

soonervegas
6/23/2005, 10:29 PM
I agree. I think limiting Baylor to only conference games only hurts the kids there now. Not only that, but how can they compete against other Big 12 teams when we will have 12-14 games under our belt. Bad move.

Frozen Sooner
6/23/2005, 11:26 PM
Hm. What's this going to do to conference RPI?

JohnnyMack
6/24/2005, 02:01 PM
I understand the NCAA has to punish schools for wrongdoings, but this hardly seems right. It's like Michigan basketball going on probation for stuff no one on the staff or on the team had anything to do with.

SicEmBaylor
6/27/2005, 12:07 PM
There were problems in our Athletic Department that were exposed by the Dennehy scandal. We had a coach who paid the tuition for a few players, and helped them out in other ways financially. He covered it up, and was fired for it almost immediately. We fired our coach, we fired our Athletic Director, our President resigned for several semi-unrelated reasons, and we put ourselves on probation. We then helped our own players transfer out so they would have the opportunity to play basketball.

We never tried to hide it from the NCAA or the world. We weren't paying players to play here. We weren't organizing orgies as a recruiting tool. We weren't giving players free cars, and we didn't pad their grades.

We immediately took responsibility for this by cleaning out our Athletic Department and owning up to our problems with the NCAA. Yet...we get bitch slapped and kicked in the groin while some other schools (I won't mention names) seemingly get by with infractions that are arguably much much worse. They deny and they stonewall and recieve a slap on the wrist.

What the hell is Baylor University suppose to learn from this? Have we not been punished enough? I mean honestly...what "lesson" are we suppose to learn from this? Or is it purely vindicative? Our coach had nothing to do with this, neither did our athletic director, nor did our interim President. The kids playing now, mostly, weren't even around when all of this happened. And to top off all of that my school has had to deal with, we've also had to deal with the loss of one of our fellow students.

So **** the NCAA and **** anyone who keeps throwing this crap up in our face.

badger
6/27/2005, 12:52 PM
good thing we have a resident Baylor fan to keep facts straight :)

is it fair to say that anyone being recruited to Baylor basketball...

1-Already knew about the scandal
2-Knew Baylor would be subject to some sort of punishment for this scandal
3-Therefore, would somehow be affected by the outcome of this scandal, should they choose to play basketball at Baylor

...?

Unless, of course, they were duped into thinking they'd be playing for the women's team instead... in which case, they got seriously screwed.

King Crimson
6/27/2005, 01:02 PM
the sad thing about the loss of OOC games is that beyond revenue etc. the fans are the ones who suffer.

all 26 of them. ;)

seriously, though.

Vaevictis
6/27/2005, 05:45 PM
Yeah, considering that Baylor took care of its own business in house, I am not certain that additional NCAA punishment was necessary.

It's one thing for certain employees to participate in misconduct; it's another thing for the institution to encourage or tolerate misconduct. I don't think that Baylor does either. The coach, and everyone else involved, is already gone. What purpose does it serve to beat down on them more?

Personally, I think that giving a school that does a thurough and honest self-investigation a clean slate is just good policy. It gives the schools a big incentive to self-police.

Clean your own house, mete out your own punishments, and as long as you do a good job of it -- and do it first -- you're golden. Fail to do that, and face the smackdown from the NCAA in the form of fines, scholarship reductions, death penalty, etc.

Brasky7
6/28/2005, 12:28 AM
no OOC games at all is beyond overboard, make em play all their OOC games on the road or at 2 in the morning, but to make them sit idly by until conference starts is ludicrous, imo...

NCAA: National Communists Against Athletes (at baylor, who are male, who play basketball, who had nothing to do w/ the sh*t that went on before they got there)...

where's The Boz when ya need him... :)

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/28/2005, 07:47 AM
Are you kidding me?

Baylor was considered a repeat offender because the tennis program received sanctions in 2000 for improper financial aid and extra benefits

ouflak
6/28/2005, 08:43 AM
There's a strange headline on the ESPN college basketball page, "NCAA's Message Is Loud And Clear". I don't know what that message is. I read the article. And well, I still don't know what the message is.

Is there anybody here associated with the NCAA or perhaps ESPN that can explain what this loud-and-clear message is supposed to be?

AllAboutThe'O'
6/28/2005, 05:52 PM
I think it was Jerry Tarkanian who said it best, something along the lines of "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky right now they slapped Cleveland State with three years of probation."
Which sums up my thoughts exactly on the Baylor situation.

SicEmBaylor
6/29/2005, 12:35 AM
Look, in response to Badger...

What you said is true, and we knew that the NCAA was going to impose some sort of offical sanction on us. We were prepared for that. What we weren't prepared for was this degree of punishment which, all things considered, just isn't fair or reasonable.

The players that Drew has recurited knew that NCAA sanctions were coming, but I don't think anyone was really prepared for this kind of punishment.

If someone thinks I'm looking at this situation through green and gold colored glasses then please by all means correct me. I haven't heard a good (i.e. non-aggie) argument that these NCAA sanctions are correct and justified.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/29/2005, 07:08 AM
its those green and gold colored glasses, after your rogue tennis program which I might add destroyed all of the NCAA's faith in humanity was given a free pass, they couldn't let you guys get off with two slaps on the wrist ;)

Frozen Sooner
6/29/2005, 09:50 AM
If someone thinks I'm looking at this situation through green and gold colored glasses then please by all means correct me. I haven't heard a good (i.e. non-aggie) argument that these NCAA sanctions are correct and justified.

A player was killed.

The Baylor University administration had it happen on their watch.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me to not be able to play non-conference games for one year.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/29/2005, 10:08 AM
That is like the Olympics blaming Israel for getting their athletes killed at the Olympics since after all it did happen during Israel's watch.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/29/2005, 10:12 AM
A person was murderered in the state of Oklahoma last year

The State had it happen on their watch

Sounds pretty reasonable that I shouldn't have to pay state taxes next year.

badger
6/29/2005, 08:02 PM
Look, in response to Badger...

What you said is true, and we knew that the NCAA was going to impose some sort of offical sanction on us. We were prepared for that. What we weren't prepared for was this degree of punishment which, all things considered, just isn't fair or reasonable.

The players that Drew has recurited knew that NCAA sanctions were coming, but I don't think anyone was really prepared for this kind of punishment.

okay, how bout this for a good argument...

The punishment was Baylor's idea, the ncaa just accepted it. So you COULD say that Baylor SHOULD have told the ncaa "no broccoli for a year" instead of "no non-conference games for a year." Considering how tough Baylor has had it, the ncaa might have been generous :)

On the other hand, da Bears could have also received the death penalty, and dang it, that would have been two less wins for the Sooners this year! (three if we meet at the Big 12 tourney!)

Frozen Sooner
6/29/2005, 10:19 PM
That is like the Olympics blaming Israel for getting their athletes killed at the Olympics since after all it did happen during Israel's watch.

Er, not really. Because I missed the part where the terrorists were part of the Israeli national team.

I'd say nice try, but it wasn't.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/30/2005, 03:40 AM
How about this one? They were both members of the state, shouldn't the state be punished?

A person was murderered in the state of Oklahoma last year

The State had it happen on their watch

Sounds pretty reasonable that I shouldn't have to pay state taxes next year.