PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Bradley to retire. pour some out for poster companies

ben9
6/23/2005, 03:45 PM
Yao to take on the duties of getting embarassed by the league's slashers...an era has ended. At least he's not Abduhl-Wahading the Mavs and sitting through his contract...

Cuban: Bradley leaning toward retirement
12:04 PM CDT on Thursday, June 23, 2005

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said Thursday that center Shawn Bradley's playing days could be over.

"Shawn has been feeling the cumulative effects of injuries to his knees and hip,'' Cuban said. "Retirement is something we are talking about, but he hasn't made a final decision yet.''

The Dallas Morning News reported Thursday that the Mavericks are working on a long-term buyout of center Shawn Bradley's contract that would facilitate the retirement of the 12-year veteran.

A Mavericks source said Wednesday that the buyout would pay Bradley all of the money he is owed under terms of his contract, but would be spread out over numerous years. His deal calls for him to earn $14.5 million over the next three seasons, including $4.5 million in 2005-06.

More NBA
According to the source, the 7-6 Bradley has become frustrated with injuries, which included knee and hip problems the past season, and is eager to spend more time with his family, which includes a newborn, as well as five other children for him and wife Annette.

Bradley had a love-hate relationship with coach Don Nelson for most of his eight-plus seasons with the Mavericks. When Avery Johnson took over as coach in March, Bradley clearly became the Mavericks' 12th man.

With young centers Pavel Podkolzin and D.J. Mbenga on the roster, the 33-year-old Bradley was unlikely to get much playing time next season or beyond. Bradley was the No. 2 overall pick in the 1993 draft but never fulfilled expectations.

He averaged 8.1 points and 6.3 rebounds for his career, but those numbers tailed off to just 2.7 points this season.

colleyvillesooner
6/23/2005, 04:34 PM
http://img16.echo.cx/img16/8571/image0019vn.jpg

OklahomaTrombone
6/23/2005, 07:52 PM
So I guess I shouldn't bid on a Shawn Bradley jersey...

GrapevineSooner
6/23/2005, 09:39 PM
I'm so happy, I think I'll throw a parade down Rufe Snow. :D

colleyvillesooner
6/23/2005, 09:50 PM
I'm so happy, I think I'll throw a parade down Rufe Snow. :D

Dude I'll wave to you at the Bueno by 820!

Boarder
7/2/2005, 03:34 PM
Shawn Bradley is the coolest. He's the ultimate Poser NBA player. I wear my SB shirt proudly.

GottaHavePride
7/2/2005, 07:01 PM
Heh. Poser NBA.

TUSooner
7/12/2005, 09:04 PM
This post has nothing to do with this thread.