PDA

View Full Version : Ribs

jk the sooner fan
6/21/2005, 09:38 AM
how many of you boil or bake your ribs before throwing them on the grill?

1stTimeCaller
6/21/2005, 09:39 AM
not me but I hear Tony Roma does

Norm In Norman
6/21/2005, 09:41 AM
Blasphemy.

OU4LIFE
6/21/2005, 09:42 AM
Jed appears in 5.....4......3.....

and not no, but HELL NO.

Beef
6/21/2005, 09:43 AM
I always bake them and finish them off on the grill.

OU4LIFE
6/21/2005, 09:44 AM
but I have done pork ribs in the oven in the wintertime....I start them at 6a.m. and cook them at 200 for 12 hours.

mmm-mmmm tasty and tender. But on the smoker is still better.

Pieces Hit
6/21/2005, 09:44 AM
Whatever you do be sure to beat them first.

jk the sooner fan
6/21/2005, 09:47 AM
ok so just the grill.......thats the answer i ws hoping for because the other methods have not worked for me.......if i can just keep the fire low enough and be patient...

i'm going to figure out ribs on the grill if it kills me

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/21/2005, 09:49 AM
ok so just the grill.......thats the answer i ws hoping for because the other methods have not worked for me.......if i can just keep the fire low enough and be patient...

i'm going to figure out ribs on the grill if it kills me

I can't do them, either. They always end up too dry or too tough.

I suck at ribs.

Partial Qualifier
6/21/2005, 10:00 AM
Dude, I gave up on that too after the 5 or 6th ruined full-slab.
Bake 'em at 250 for a couple hours, then finish 'em on the grill. It really is the best way

Norm In Norman
6/21/2005, 10:03 AM
You're such a bastard.

jk the sooner fan
6/21/2005, 10:06 AM
i think mastering ribs on the grill is one of those callings that every man feels he must accomplish at some point in his life....

Herr Scholz
6/21/2005, 10:08 AM
Smoker. All day. Fall off the bone.

Norm In Norman
6/21/2005, 10:10 AM
I'm telling you - indirect heat, 225 degrees, 3-2-1 method.

Get a digital thermometer ($20 at target), stick the probe into a half of a potato, put it on the grate and make sure the temp stays at 225 (if that's your hold up).

KABOOKIE
6/21/2005, 10:11 AM
Soak those ribs in Colt 45 for 24 hours. After that, dunk 'em in some white-vinegar and then rub in your favorite spices. Salt, pepper, brown sugar, etc.... Cook them using a charcoal grill with a small amount of charcoal bricks pilled to the side. A couple of hand fulls should be plenty. Let the charcoal burn to a nice gray color and check the temperature. Cook the meat for at least 5 hours at 165 degrees. Yes that long. They longer the better. Smoke chips add flavor and can be added periodically with new bricks of charcoal to keep the heat up. FYI most gas grills burn too hot to smoke ribs.

jk the sooner fan
6/21/2005, 10:11 AM
ok so keep the burners on one side and put the meat on the other......i can do that

have you ever used one of those wood grilling planks? the kind you soak in water...

jk the sooner fan
6/21/2005, 10:12 AM
i have a gas grill, so thats what i'm stuck with using.....

OUAndy1807
6/21/2005, 10:14 AM
I'm telling you - indirect heat, 225 degrees, 3-2-1 method.

Get a digital thermometer ($20 at target), stick the probe into a half of a potato, put it on the grate and make sure the temp stays at 225 (if that's your hold up).
exactly....for baby backs.

expect to spend a good 8-9 hours if you're working with spares, and for the love of god, trim them to at least St. Louis style (cutting off the tips). Cook the tips seperately. They're like rib meat with no bone.

Herr Scholz
6/21/2005, 10:15 AM
You're not a real man.

OUAndy1807
6/21/2005, 10:15 AM
I haven't used cedar planks, but I know that they make stainless steel smoke boxes for gas grills, or you can use an aluminum foil pouch with some holes poked in the top.

Beef
6/21/2005, 10:20 AM
You're sons still read this board, jk? I think this should give them a good idea for a housewarming gift.

Norm In Norman
6/21/2005, 10:22 AM
I think I've read where you should soak some wood chips in water overnight then put them in a foil pouch over the burners. The ribs will absorb smoke the most during the 1st couple of hours. Everyone says it's easy to oversmoke them, but sofar I seem to keep undersmoking them (for my tastes). if you don't foil them, I'd say you can get them done in 4 hours but you might not get as good of results as easily.

Oh, and read this:

http://www.rbjb.com/fpq/britu.htm

Newbomb Turk
6/21/2005, 10:24 AM
I have a gas grill, but it's no good for ribs.

I also have one of those cheap brinkman charcoal grill/smokers. Drilled some 1/2 inch holes in the charcoal pan for more consistent heat. It workes great for ribs.

I dry rub the ribs, wrap them in Saran wrap and let them sit in the fridge for 24 hours.
Then, like Norm said ... 3-2-1 method. Makes the best, most tender ribs you can imagine.

C&CDean
6/21/2005, 10:24 AM
jk,

Here's how we do ribs. We did about 12 slabs for Father's Day, and they're fall-off-the-bone killer good.

1. We rub some spices into the ribs. Cavendar's Greek Seasoning, a little garlic salt, pepper.

2. Bake them COVERED (cover them tightly to keep in the moisture) for about 3-4 hours at about 225-250. After a few hours grab one of the ends of a rack and twist. If they will start to tear apart, you're good.

3. I put them on the smoker (I've got a gas smoker and use chunks of hickory or pecan from splitting wood). I'll usually smoke them for an hour or two, depending upon how "fall-off-the-bone" they are. I also slather them in sauce before I smoke them, and again just before they're ready to come off.

4. You can also slather them in the sauce of your choice, and put them straight on the grill (I usually use my gas grill for this, but sometimes charcoal) at a low-medium heat until they're at your desired crispiness. I'll do this if I'm short on time.

My ribs rock.

C&CDean
6/21/2005, 10:26 AM
I put the wood into foil (after soaking for about 10 minutes) for the gas smoker. Not for the grill though.

And my recipe works great on country style ribs too.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/21/2005, 10:27 AM
Jed's such a bastard for not replying to this.

Norm In Norman
6/21/2005, 10:27 AM
exactly....for baby backs.

expect to spend a good 8-9 hours if you're working with spares, and for the love of god, trim them to at least St. Louis style (cutting off the tips). Cook the tips seperately. They're like rib meat with no bone.

That's what I use for spares. Baby backs need even less time. Spares are better anyway. Either way I dont' foil for that long.

Of course I've only done ribs twice and both were in a smoker. Both were awesome though.

Sooner51
6/21/2005, 11:16 AM
Apple juice is a good brine for ribs.

Norm In Norman
6/21/2005, 11:58 AM
I'd say marinade. A brine is always salt water (I think).

jk the sooner fan
6/21/2005, 12:02 PM
alot of information here....maybe i should just go pick up a slab or two at rudys........;)

Sooner51
6/21/2005, 12:04 PM
Salt is surely part of a brine, but you can use different ingredients as well.

I like to "brine" my ribs overnight by curing them in a brine made up of sweet, (apple cider), sour, (apple cider vinegar) and salt. The brine tenderizes the meat as it takes on the sweet flavor of the apple cider.
http://www.themediadrome.com/content/recipes/barbecued_ribs.htm

Norm In Norman
6/21/2005, 12:09 PM
Oh, you weren't saying just apple juice.

I've been spraying mine with apple juice then putting the rub on them. Then I spray them right before putting the foil on, then when they leave the foil.

Sooner51
6/21/2005, 12:22 PM
Oh, you weren't saying just apple juice.

I should have said that apple juice is a good ingredient to use in a brine.
I'm very sorry Norm.
Please forgive me.
xoxo_Sooner51

Norm In Norman
6/21/2005, 12:30 PM
I don't forgive you. In fact, I might ban you rather than look at your avatar.

Boarder
6/21/2005, 12:35 PM
3-2-1 only way to go.

Baking is possibly acceptable in some far out circumstances.

Boiling should be limited to red potatoes, pasta, and corn on the cob.

If you only have a gas grill, you should be good to go with using one bruner and putting the ribs on the other side. Just keep it no higher than 225 and use a foil packet with chips or those little wood pellets.

Norm In Norman
6/21/2005, 12:36 PM
Only a poser would use gas. Or would he?????

critical_phil
6/21/2005, 12:37 PM
boil w/ a few bay leaves.

dry them off.

rub (garlic salt, brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, cumin, black pepper)

grill on very low heat.

the end.

Sooner51
6/21/2005, 12:41 PM
I don't forgive you. In fact, I might ban you rather than look at your avatar.

Not a big Talking Heads fan huh.

Norm In Norman
6/21/2005, 12:42 PM
I guess not.

OUAndy1807
6/21/2005, 12:52 PM
boarder, did you get a bullet?

GottaHavePride
6/21/2005, 12:53 PM
Not a big Talking Heads fan huh.
i never looked closely at that. I always thought it was Steve Martin, and I kept wondering "What the f*** is Steve Martin doing in that picture?"

jk the sooner fan
6/21/2005, 12:55 PM
i asked the same question, only without the "the f***"

Sooner51
6/21/2005, 01:01 PM
i never looked closely at that. I always thought it was Steve Martin, and I kept wondering "What the f*** is Steve Martin doing in that picture?"
I thought 'Psycho Killer' would have given it away.
I usually abide by the law, except for my unconventional brine methods.

Boarder
6/21/2005, 01:17 PM
boil w/ a few bay leaves.

dry them off.

rub (garlic salt, brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, cumin, black pepper)

grill on very low heat.

throw away

buy new ribs

do not boil

the real end

Boarder
6/21/2005, 01:18 PM
Yep. I have a bullet and a propane. So, I am a poser, somewhat. Big surprise there, huh. :D

critical_phil
6/21/2005, 01:18 PM
uppity smokers.....................

jk the sooner fan
6/24/2005, 10:53 AM
ok so i have 2 slabs of pork spare ribs......got them from sams.......my first goal was to cook a slab without burning them, or under cooking....i wasnt so much concerned with all the flavoring.

so i did the indirect heat thing on the gas grill last nite with slab #1 - i had used a rub for 24 hours and just a bottle of sweet baby ray's bbq sauce......

they cooked really really well....i'm very pleased! now i'm going to go all out on the flavoring with slab #2

thanks for all the tips

King Crimson
6/24/2005, 11:00 AM
not ribs, but i has some fantastic pulled pork, dumplings and sweet tea in North Carolina last week a couple times. the fried okra was inferior to what i'm used to at my mom's or even Bob's there on Lindsey, however. one place also had homemade banana pudding that was very very nice.

my mom used to use Cavender's Greek Seasoning and crushed black pepper on her ribs in the meat smoker. she also used to make her own sauce with apple butter that was dang good.

OU4LIFE
6/24/2005, 11:12 AM
this thread make me want to eat my shoes.

dang i'm hong-ree.

1stTimeCaller
6/24/2005, 12:11 PM
I soak mine in applejuice and cherry coke along with fresh garlic, cayenne and Cavenders then with the same kind of marinade(not the marinade used to soak) I reduce it and use as a wet rub thingy later. I have a gas grill and a cast iron wood chip box. I soak hickory and mesquite chips and then put em in the box that I preheat in the oven. I turn on the right burner on low, place wood chip box over said burner and place the ribs on the left side. I use a dry rub of Cavenders, garlic salt, black pepper and cayenne. It only takes about 2 hours for spare ribs and they are damn tasty, not fall off the bone tender but not tough either.

jk the sooner fan
2/26/2006, 12:45 PM
i'd like to thank all of you who responded to this.....i took bits and pieces from most of you, and have made the best damn ribs i've ever had (that i made)

sooneron
2/26/2006, 02:06 PM
I second the Norm thing on foil. I ususally smoke em for 3.5-4 hours at around 200-225 and then put them in foil for 1-1.5 hours. Another note, buy some good sausage- sweet or hot and put them on a rack above the ribs, they drip down onto the ribs and provide a lot of juice/ moisture. With this set up, how can I be wrong???

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/1544/ribbs5jy.jpg

I also put a water pan nearest to the firebox/heat source to add more moisture. and a drip pan under the meat to catch more juice to add to the sauce.

Mjcpr
2/26/2006, 02:10 PM
Nice sausage you've got there, Ron.

Newbomb Turk
2/26/2006, 02:54 PM
Those ribs look awesome - I'm hungry now.

Jimminy Crimson
2/26/2006, 03:06 PM

That's a very personal question! ;)

Ribs for lunch were de-lish. Of the Steve's variety.

Norm In Norman
2/26/2006, 11:34 PM
Since this post, I've done a couple slabs without foil. I think I like ribs a little better when they are ALMOST to the point of falling off the bone, but not quite.

Boy, i wish we weren't in a burn ban. My plan was to smoke meat all winter. Actually, it was so wet yesterday and the wind wasn't blowing so I cooked some burgers outside. First time I've used my grill in about 2 months. I didn't get arrested for it, so i guess I lucked out.

Okla-homey
2/26/2006, 11:46 PM
I'm a rib master, but this damn burn ban has cramped me out of making any since Christmas.