PDA

View Full Version : Do You Beat Your Meat?

Pieces Hit
6/15/2005, 08:37 AM
I'm finally getting better at grilling and have learned it's best to beat my meat with a mallet to tenderize it, and then season it, and then beat it some more, (both sides), and then marinade it, and let it soak overnight.
What do you do?

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/15/2005, 08:38 AM
IBTD.

jk the sooner fan
6/15/2005, 08:40 AM
you're playing with fire

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/15/2005, 08:42 AM
But before this thread goes in the terlet, I will say that I hope Norm or Boarder chime in because I've heard that tenderizing by way of beating makes the meat dry.

Lord help us...

OUDoc
6/15/2005, 08:43 AM
But before this thread goes in the terlet, I will say that I hope Norm or Boarder chime in because I've heard that tenderizing by way of beating makes the meat dry.

Lord help us...
Go on...

Pieces Hit
6/15/2005, 08:43 AM
I'm getting around drying my meat out by cooking it very hot, very fast.

IB4OU2
6/15/2005, 08:44 AM
Let me ask Rosie..........

Sexy Sooner Angel
6/15/2005, 08:45 AM
BSG, I know some people will beat it until it's really thin and I think that's when it gets dry. I beat it just enough to get the seasonings and marinade into the pours of the meat and mine always turns out thick and juicy.

crawfish
6/15/2005, 08:45 AM
On a similar note, I've found that flogging the dolphin makes your mahi-mahi much more tender.

crawfish
6/15/2005, 08:46 AM
BSG, I know some people will beat it until it's really thin and I think that's when it gets dry. I beat it just enough to get the seasonings and marinade into the pours of the meat and mine always turns out thick and juicy.

Bri is such a lucky man.

Sexy Sooner Angel
OMG ROFLMFAO

SPEK, crawfish!!!

EDIT: This was for your first post, but yes, yes he is and also my post was an actual seious post. Get your mind outta the gutter.

crawfish
Bri is such a lucky man.

I mean, because the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, of course.

colleyvillesooner
6/15/2005, 08:48 AM

If you beat it too much, yes...

Pieces Hit
6/15/2005, 08:48 AM
What do you use for a marinade?

I'm currently using worchester(sp?), red wine, and olive oil.

Sexy Sooner Angel
6/15/2005, 08:49 AM
It all depends on what type of meat we are talkin' about here. I season them all differently.

(i.e. steak, fajitas, burgers, pork)

Veritas
6/15/2005, 08:50 AM
If you have to mallet your meat to make it edible, chances are you're eating something other than corn-fed Husker beef. I quit buying steak when I lived in Dallas because it was so sub-rate...until I figured out that Sam's Club was the place. Most of their cuts are from Omaha.

Oh and if you have to marinate steak to make it edible, same thing. But if you must, soak it in Bud for about a hour.

Pieces Hit
6/15/2005, 08:51 AM
Round Steak is the cut of choice.

It's affordable from Sam's.

OUthunder
6/15/2005, 08:51 AM
Practice makes perfect I guess.

Sooner_Bob
6/15/2005, 08:52 AM
The new KC rub from Homemade Gourmet is pretty good . . .

Sexy Sooner Angel
6/15/2005, 08:52 AM
I'm with ya V. I get mine from Sams or a butcher that I know in McKinney. However, I only go the butcher for special occasions since it's so much more expensive.

Veritas
6/15/2005, 08:54 AM
I'm with ya V. I get mine from Sams or a butcher that I know in McKinney. However, I only go the butcher for special occasions since it's so much more expensive.
Is that place in Snider Plaza still there...the joint on the southwest end with the German restaurant attached. Kubys, I think? That place also had primo steaks, but you paid for it.

Stanley1
6/15/2005, 08:56 AM
Like it owes me money.

Sooner_Bob
6/15/2005, 08:57 AM
My father in-law is feeding out a couple of steers and will be taking them to the butcher in August . . . I can't wait.

The only bad thing is we'll have to buy a new freezer. :D

Veritas
6/15/2005, 08:58 AM
My father in-law is feeding out a couple of steers and will be taking them to the butcher in August . . . I can't wait.

That's the way to do it if you've got the hookup. From my experience it doesn't end up being any cheaper by the time you factor in non-edible losses, but the quality is so much greater...

Pieces Hit
6/15/2005, 08:59 AM

The only bad thing is we'll have to buy a new freezer. :DIf you beat them while they're alive will they be better to eat later?

Fork method. Then marinade over night.

Sexy Sooner Angel
Kuby's isn't as good as it used to be. The partners split up and now the one to go to is Henk's off of Greenville and Park. He's got some good cuts, but it's too far for me so I got to th butcher in McKinney. They've also got great fresh seafood daily there so I can get both. Again granted I pay a lot but for special occasions it's okay and the meat and seafood are always to die for.

Veritas
6/15/2005, 09:00 AM
If you beat them will they're alive will they be better to eat later?
That's one of the ideas behind (overpriced and underwhelming) kobe beef...supposedly they massage the cattle and stuff (while they're alive).

About Kubys...that succs...but I remember you saying something about that in another thread a while back, now that you mention it.

6/15/2005, 09:04 AM
A husker would know more about massaging cattle than any of us. I say we all follow his lead.

winky winky smile thing

Sexy Sooner Angel
Nah, it's cool Henk's is SOOOO much better and I get small discounts because Henk came to America on the same boat my grandparents and mom did in the early sixites and they have remained friends since.

Sooner_Bob
That's the way to do it if you've got the hookup. From my experience it doesn't end up being any cheaper by the time you factor in non-edible losses, but the quality is so much greater...

And it saves you a trip to the meat market . . . :D

Pieces Hit
kobeGoogle Search Return:

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nba/2002/1018/photo/s_kobe_i.jpg

Ironic, no?

Sooner_Bob
6/15/2005, 09:05 AM
If you beat them while they're alive will they be better to eat later?

If you do, just watch out for those hind legs. They've got a pretty good kick.

:D

Veritas
6/15/2005, 09:06 AM
A husker would know more about massaging cattle than any of us. I say we all follow his lead.

winky winky smile thing
Heh.

And nice, Pieces Hit...I put that one low and outside hoping someone would connect.

colleyvillesooner
6/15/2005, 09:07 AM
Heh.

And nice, Pieces Hit...I put that one low and outside hoping someone would connect.

They give the cows hotel rooms and white women? :confused:

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/15/2005, 09:10 AM
Yes, people - I know that if you beat it down until it's beef jerky thin, it will be dry.

I just read somewhere that beating it compromises the tissue to the point that it can't hold moisure very well.

Or maybe I just made that up...who the hell knows...

Pieces Hit
6/15/2005, 09:11 AM
They give the cows hotel rooms and white women? :confused:Yeah, and they turn the lights off and put on some moosic.

Sexy Sooner Angel
6/15/2005, 09:11 AM
Like I said. I do it just enough to let the marinade soak in or I will also just use a fork and poke it. Mine is always really juicy.

Pieces Hit
6/15/2005, 09:14 AM
Like I said. I do it just enough to let the marinade soak in or I will also just use a fork and poke it. Mine is always really juicy.Man, I'm in trouble then.
I beat mine to a pulp last night and it's really thin.
So I guess I'll just throw it on and off the grill and hope for the best.

crawfish
6/15/2005, 09:14 AM
Yes, people - I know that if you beat it down until it's beef jerky thin, it will be dry.

I just read somewhere that beating it compromises the tissue to the point that it can't hold moisure very well.

Or maybe I just made that up...who the hell knows...

Why does this make me cross my legs and wince?

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/15/2005, 09:15 AM
Interesting. Beating or poking. I guess punching holes in it doesn't tear it up as much as a good 'ol fashioned, metal mallet, on the kitchen couter beat down.

I learned something on the SO today.

Thanks SF.com!

Oh, and TOTP, Biznachos!

Sexy Sooner Angel
6/15/2005, 09:16 AM
If I poke it I put the seasonings and marinade on it and then I press them into the meat. Just to make sure they will soak up into the tiny holes. I'll also mince up some fresh garlic and press that into the meat. So it cooks throughout.

Sooner_Bob
6/15/2005, 09:18 AM
We use the poke and rub method . . .

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/15/2005, 09:19 AM
If I poke it I put the seasonings and marinade on it and then I press them into the meat. Just to make sure they will soak up into the tiny holes. I'll also mince up some fresh garlic and press that into the meat. So it cooks throughout.

I do that with roast. Emeril taught me. Make little slits in the meat and push the garlic in as deep as you can. I use rosemary sometimes, too if I'm feeling sassy.

It makes the roast oh-so-scrumptulescent.

Sexy Sooner Angel
6/15/2005, 09:20 AM
Oooohhhh...I like scrumptulescent.

Pieces Hit
6/15/2005, 09:21 AM
This is gonna be SO embarrasing.
I've got a house full of people coming for dinner tonight and it's going to be way obvious that I beat my meat too much.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/15/2005, 09:21 AM
This is gonna be SO embarrasing.
I've got a house full of people coming for dinner tonight and it's going to be way obvious that I beat my meat too much.

They already know, dude.

They already know.

Sexy Sooner Angel
6/15/2005, 09:22 AM
So you beat your meat to hard then last night?

Why didn't you ask for advice YESTERDAY?

Veritas
6/15/2005, 09:22 AM
While we're on the subject...Durkee's Grill Creations St. Louis Style Smoky Mesquite is the best EVAR. Also to be found at Sam's Club. :D

http://www.spiceplace.com/images/durkee_smokey_mesquite_sm.gif

Sexy Sooner Angel
6/15/2005, 09:23 AM
You have Sams/WalMart stock don't you?

Pieces Hit
6/15/2005, 09:23 AM
So you beat your meat to hard then last night?

Why didn't you ask for advice YESTERDAY?I thought I knew what I was doing. I've been at this for a while now...

Veritas
6/15/2005, 09:24 AM
You have Sams/WalMart stock don't you?
Naw, I'm just a redneck. :D

That and I eat an insane amount of food. My caloric burn rate before exercise is almost 3700 (according to FitDay), so...

Sexy Sooner Angel
6/15/2005, 09:24 AM
And see where thinking got you.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/15/2005, 09:25 AM
Sam's seems to be the happenin' place for BBQ/grilling stuff.

I must investigate.

Mjcpr
6/15/2005, 09:28 AM
Y'all should watch Alton Brown, I'm sure he's covered this before all scientific-like.

Pieces Hit
6/15/2005, 09:28 AM
And see where thinking got you.Hey, they're getting a free meal.

If they give me any crap I'll tell them to just shut up and eat the meat.

Veritas
6/15/2005, 09:29 AM
Y'all should watch Alton Brown, I'm sure he's covered this before all scientific-like.
That dude is awesome. I started using a cast-iron skillet on a regular basis after watching his show.

olevetonahill
6/15/2005, 09:49 AM
BSG an SSA are scareing the bejesus out of me on this thread .
Smacking it with a hammer on a hard counter , poking holes in it :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

BeetDigger
6/15/2005, 09:49 AM

Give it to your wife as a birthday present. She will love it. One of the most thoughtful gifts a man can give to his wife, next to a new iron.

Sooner_Bob
6/15/2005, 09:50 AM
Heh . . . she'd love that. :D

BeetDigger
6/15/2005, 09:50 AM
We use the poke and rub method . . .

:eek:

Pieces Hit
6/15/2005, 09:52 AM
Give it to your wife as a birthday present. She will love it. One of the most thoughtful gifts a man can give to his wife, next to a new iron.That, and tender meat.

JaxSooner
6/15/2005, 09:58 AM
Alton Brown IS the man. Although he cooks his flank steaks (for fajitas) directly on the coals. That's messed up. I'm kinda wanting to try it, but at the same time, it creeps me out a little.

As far as all you meat beaters and meat pokers go, if you've gotta do all that damage to the steak before you cook it, you're probably trying to grill a crappy cut. Just my opinion.

As for me, I have two favorites, both from Richard the butcher.

1. The Ribeye.

2. The Flat Iron. I don't know if this is a name that Richard gives this cut, or if it's known by this name throughout the land. Basically it looks like flank steak, but is much, much, much better. It comes from the shoulder and when cut across the grain (like flank steak), it is the most tender and delicious meat you will ever eat. Pretty much.

Oh, and you should all do yourselves a huge favor and try to find you some of this right here...

http://heavenlyheathotsauce.com/2/HH236.jpg

I'm not even kidding when I say this is the best rub in the world. And I've tried a bunch. This stuff has smoked chipotle pepper in it, and it is GOOD.

You're welcome in advance...

OUAndy1807
6/15/2005, 10:02 AM
yeah, if you have to beat the meat to make it turn out on the grill, you're probably using the wrong cooking method. anything that tough ought to be smoked. save the grill for ribeyes and sirloins (the two kings of the steak world.)

Pieces Hit
6/15/2005, 10:02 AM
How can I get my hands on some of this butt rub?

Mjcpr
6/15/2005, 10:15 AM
It needs to start with dinner and a movie at the very least.

JaxSooner
6/15/2005, 10:18 AM

I buy mine at Richard's. For some reason, I keep buying the little 4.5 oz. guy. I said last night after I grilled up the flat iron that the next time we go in there I'm getting the big butt rub. I'm tired of always having to go back and get more.

Anyway. If your local butcher doesn't carry it you should tell him he needs to. In the meantime, you can order it online at:

http://www.buttrub.com/catalog.html

And while you're there, you really should get the apron. This is the t-shirt, to give you an idea what the apron says on it. (I didn't go THAT overboard and buy the shirt, too. Just the apron. I'll proclaim the butt rub goodness in my home and on the internet, but I'm not wearing the shirt out...)

http://www.buttrub.com/images/t-shirt.gif

Oh, and the Jubilee stuff is "okay" for seafood. It's not as good as the butt rub, in my opinion. Too much celery seed in it. Unless you like celery seed, then you'll probably love it.

Pieces Hit
6/15/2005, 10:32 AM
next time we go in there I'm getting the big butt rub. I'm tired of always having to go back and get more.
Sounds like you can't get enough of Byron's butt rub.
Does the butt rub also make your meat tender?
Just asking.

Sooner51
6/15/2005, 10:37 AM
As far as all you meat beaters and meat pokers go, if you've gotta do all that damage to the steak before you cook it, you're probably trying to grill a crappy cut. Just my opinion.

I agree. Any respectable cut should be fine just by marinating overnight.

The cuts you have to beat should then be breaded and deep fried. :texan:

JaxSooner
6/15/2005, 10:48 AM
Sounds like you can't get enough of Byron's butt rub.
Does the butt rub also make your meat tender?
Just asking.

Heh. You see, my meat's already tender. Therefore, I don't need all the beating and poking that these other folk seem so wrapped up in. The butt rub just makes it taste real good.

OklahomaTrombone
6/15/2005, 11:12 AM
this thread makes me giggle...

Stanley1
6/15/2005, 11:14 AM
this thread makes me giggle...

In your pants?

Pieces Hit
6/15/2005, 03:01 PM
Good news!
My sister's coming over to help out.
It's great to know my meat's in good hands.

Scott D
6/15/2005, 03:03 PM
every time you think that the innuendos in this thread could get no lower Pieces posts again.

OklahomaTrombone
6/15/2005, 03:05 PM
In your pants?

no...that would be "gurgle"

crawfish
6/15/2005, 03:07 PM
Dammit, Scott, that would've been a great thread ending.

Scott D
6/15/2005, 03:08 PM
yeah but Hesh always has to try to one up me when I have good thread enders. ;)

OklahomaTrombone
6/15/2005, 03:10 PM
dood...I didn't even see your post until after I posted mine.

OUinFLA
6/15/2005, 04:58 PM
dood...I didn't even see your post until after I posted mine.

Does posting it make it any more tender?
Does posting it twice make any more tender tender?

SoonerBorn68
6/15/2005, 05:13 PM
In your pants?

This thread makes me nervous in my pants.

Too many gals know the secret to a good meat beatin'. :D

Sounds like they can do a better job at it than me.

49r
6/15/2005, 05:22 PM
Too many gals know the secret to a good meat beatin'. :D

Sounds like they can do a better job at it than me.
Well it's not like beating your meat is rocket science...heck, even children get the hang of it pretty quickly!

BeetDigger
6/15/2005, 05:57 PM
How can you eat your pudding if you don't beat your meat?

Oh wait, that's not quite the line is it?

nmsoonergirl
6/15/2005, 06:48 PM
Alton Brown IS the man. Although he cooks his flank steaks (for fajitas) directly on the coals. That's messed up. I'm kinda wanting to try it, but at the same time, it creeps me out a little.

As for me, I have two favorites, both from Richard the butcher.

1. The Ribeye.

2. The Flat Iron. I don't know if this is a name that Richard gives this cut, or if it's known by this name throughout the land. Basically it looks like flank steak, but is much, much, much better. It comes from the shoulder and when cut across the grain (like flank steak), it is the most tender and delicious meat you will ever eat. Pretty much.

Oh, and you should all do yourselves a huge favor and try to find you some of this right here...

http://heavenlyheathotsauce.com/2/HH236.jpg

I'm not even kidding when I say this is the best rub in the world. And I've tried a bunch. This stuff has smoked chipotle pepper in it, and it is GOOD.

You're welcome in advance...

I absolutely second the Byron's Butt Rub bit. Absolutely amazing stuff. We order the big butt rub online. Really, really good rub.

StoopTroup
6/15/2005, 07:26 PM
Rocky knew how to beat the meat...

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/pg2/2001/1206/photo/rocky_meat_i.jpg

OUinFLA
6/15/2005, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=StoopTroup]Rocky knew how to beat the meat...

Ingenious!

Pieces Hit
6/16/2005, 07:55 AM
*** UPDATE ***

My meat was a sensation last night!
Sister-in-law told me it was delicious.
Brother came back for seconds but couldn't take the piece I tried to give him.
Said it was too much for him.

Tasted a bit salty to me.

Sister tossed the salad and laid out the whole spread before wife got home from work.
She's tops!

crawfish
6/16/2005, 08:24 AM
*** UPDATE ***

My meat was a sensation last night!
Sister-in-law told me it was delicious.
Brother came back for seconds but couldn't take the piece I tried to give him.
Said it was too much for him.

Tasted a bit salty to me.

Sister tossed the salad and laid out the whole spread before wife got home from work.
She's tops!

Good lord, as if the "beating the meat' innuendo wasn't bad enough... :eek:

Scott D
6/16/2005, 08:30 AM
Good lord, as if the "beating the meat' innuendo wasn't bad enough... :eek:

what in that post didn't serve as a possible innuendo man :)

crawfish
6/16/2005, 08:34 AM
what in that post didn't serve as a possible innuendo man :)

I can't believe this thread has only four stars.

49r
6/18/2005, 08:43 PM
Forum Rules

Registration at SoonerFans.com is free! You will find that we are one of the most loosely moderated Sooner boards (or boards of any kind, for that matter) around. We do have some rules, though, and we insist that you abide by them as detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the HMFIC, Phil, and the moderators of SoonerFans.com Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither Roadhouse Enterprises, LLC, the owner of SoonerFans.com Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws. You further warrant that you will not post photos or links to any pornographic or otherwise lewd or unacceptable materials. Personal attacks on other posters, including name-calling, vulgar or not, are strictly prohibited and may result in suspension of posting privileges or banning from the board.

The owners of SoonerFans.com Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason or no reason at all. Remember, the First Amendment only applies to the government. The government doesn't run this board, which means that freedom of speech here is what the HMFIC says it is. Capish?

Oh, and if you try to register with a yahoo, hotmail, gmail, or other "free" e-mail address, you will get a message saying you can't register because your e-mail address has been banned. Due to prior abuses, we do not allow the use of yahoo, hotmail, or any other "free" e-mail addresses to register on the board. You will need to use a "real" address from your ISP or work to register. If you don't have a "real" e-mail address, you can send e-mail through the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the board with the username and password you want to use, along with your e-mail address and birthdate, and we will add you to the board manually.

Man, we're all doomed.

Doomed as doomed can be don't you know.

Shamrock
6/19/2005, 06:36 PM
Nevermind.

Pieces Hit
6/20/2005, 10:13 AM
Cooked some roast this weekend.

Didn't beat it but did intimidate it a little.

PETA Disclaimer: No animals were harmed in the production of this post.

SicEmBaylor
5/25/2006, 04:15 AM
United Grocery in Purcell carries Stubb's beef, chicken, and pork rub. Pick some up if you're in the area. Stubb's has got the BEST freaking BBQ in the Southwest. If you're ever in Austin it's the place to go.

Vaevictis
5/25/2006, 05:28 AM
For tender meat, I try to use marinade that is high in acid content.

One of my favorite marinades is freshly squeezed lemon juice, possibly with crushed garlic rubbed in the meat. Marinate overnight in the fridge, then fry it up in olive oil with onions the next day.

The meat practically falls apart on its own.

Tomatos work well also, if you are making a dish that will already have tomatos. I imagine just about any vinegar will work well also... I am thinking of trying a marinade with a basalmic vinegar base sometime soon.