PDA

View Full Version : CINDERELLA MAN

critical_phil
6/5/2005, 05:33 PM
saw it this afternoon.

pretty good, in spite of rene zellweger - who's accent comes off as a hybrid of howard cosell and rosie perez.

in case you're wondering, http://www.nndb.com/people/628/000025553/clint-howard-sm.jpg has a cameo.

my high school shop teacher gives it one and a half thumbs up..........

JohnnyMack
6/5/2005, 05:41 PM
That movie looks like rehash.

Lemme guess, Russell Crowe makes a marvelous comeback and we all love him. Right?

Renee Zellweger is annoying, Russell Crowe is an arrogant *** and I'll wait for Batman Begins.

That's all I got.

silverwheels
6/5/2005, 05:45 PM
Jessica Alba + tight clothes + superpowers = I'm seeing Fantastic 4.

King Crimson
6/5/2005, 06:09 PM
sports movie cliche.

times a million.

at some point as a culture we ought to move on.

AllAboutThe'O'
6/5/2005, 06:42 PM
Didn't they do this movie a couple of years ago, only they called it "Seabiscuit?"
And I bet the horse that played "Seabiscuit" did a better acting job than Russell Crowe.

GDC
6/5/2005, 06:52 PM
A modest man from Mandrake
Travelled rich to the city
He had a need to discover
A use for his newly found wealth

Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane
Delusions of grandeur
Visions of splendor
A manic depressive
He walks in the rain

Eyes wide open
Heart undefended
Innocence untarnished...

Cinderella Man
Doing what you can
They can't understand
What it means
Cinderella Man
Hang on to your plans
Try as they might
They cannot steal your dreams

In the betrayal of his love he awakened
To face a world of cold reality
And a look in the eyes of the hungry
Awakened him to what he could do

He held up his riches
To challenge the hungry
Purposeful motion
For one so insane
They tried to fight him
Just couldn't beat him
This manic depressive
Who walks in the rain

GDC
6/5/2005, 06:54 PM
Yesterday the only choices at a 20 screen theater I considered were Cinderella Man and Layer Cake, the rest looked like dreck.

OklahomaTrombone
6/5/2005, 06:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050603&num=0

GDC
6/5/2005, 08:19 PM
I rented Saints and Sinners on DVD, haven't finished it yet.

Okla-homey
6/5/2005, 08:56 PM
I read in our local paper today that Jethro Bodine (Max Baer Jr) is really pissed at Opie Taylor (Director Ron Howard) for making Jethro's dad (Max Baer Sr) look like a raging ******* in the film. Jethro says although his pop killed a few guys in the ring, he educated the children of the one guy he beat to death who happened to be a father.

just saying.

My Opinion Matters
6/5/2005, 08:58 PM
I thought I was going to have to come in here and lay down a big, fat helping of Russell Crowe hatin'. It seems it's already being taken care of though. Good work.

GDC
6/5/2005, 09:07 PM
Oops, I meant Saints and Soldiers, and it was a pretty decent little WWII flick.

AllAboutThe'O'
I thought I was going to have to come in here and lay down a big, fat helping of Russell Crowe hatin'. It seems it's already being taken care of though. Good work.
Moral of the story: Never hire an Aussie to play an American hero.

Rogue
Cinderella Man will win awards.

Predictable? Yes.
Zellweger's accent bad? You betcha
Crowe's accent bad? Worse, sounded like he was trying to sound like Stallone.
Boxing scenes were strong.

I actually liked it, but I really like boxing.
The guy that played the manager/trainer (the depressed guy in Sideways) is strong. Time magazine described him as having an "everymug".

All in all, I enjoyed it more than alot of movies lately.

Can you bring me my chapstick?

picasso
6/5/2005, 11:06 PM
in case you're wondering, http://www.nndb.com/people/628/000025553/clint-howard-sm.jpg has a cameo.

ah yes, the equally follically challenged but uglier and less talented little brother.
his best work was in The Wraith.

AllAboutThe'O'
6/5/2005, 11:11 PM
The guy that played the manager/trainer (the depressed guy in Sideways) is strong. Time magazine described him as having an "everymug".
He also played Pig Vomit in Howard Stern's movie "Private Parts."

critical_phil
6/5/2005, 11:17 PM
paul giamatti - son of former baseball commish bart giamatti.

also in SPR, and a bunch of others lately.

best as Veal Chop in Safe Men.....................

GottaHavePride
6/5/2005, 11:47 PM
Jessica Alba + tight clothes + superpowers = I'm seeing Fantastic 4.
Hooray!

GottaHavePride
6/5/2005, 11:47 PM
Hooray!
Wait, sorry. that actually calls for

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/penguincult/_images/hooray.jpg

silverwheels
6/5/2005, 11:53 PM
Wait, sorry. that actually calls for

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/penguincult/_images/hooray.jpg
I can't wait to see the HOORAY!!!! when the movie featuring Ms. Alba nekkid comes out.:D

GottaHavePride
6/6/2005, 12:02 AM
I can't wait to see the HOORAY!!!! when the movie featuring Ms. Alba nekkid comes out.:D
I've been saving that one:

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2004/SPORT/football/01/17/blatter.women.ap/vert.brandi.chastain.afp.jpg

JohnnyMack
6/6/2005, 08:48 AM
Did I mention Russell Crowe was an *******?

That Penal Colony export got himself arrested for throwing a phone at a hotel employee.

Real nice guy. I think I'll skip Cinderella Man.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8116131/

XingTheRubicon
6/6/2005, 10:43 AM
That movie looks like rehash.

Lemme guess, Russell Crowe makes a marvelous comeback and we all love him. Right?

Renee Zellweger is annoying, Russell Crowe is an arrogant *** and I'll wait for Batman Begins.

That's all I got.

No, James J. Braddock did.

Something about not being able to afford to eat and staring into your kids' faces as they go hungry is compelling to me. Furthermore, beating the sh*t out of 4 of the top 5 heavyweight fighters on the planet in a row, all the while thinking of your kids never having to want again, is even more compelling.....

and here's the funniest part, it's true. It actually happened.

JohnnyMack
6/6/2005, 10:56 AM
No, James J. Braddock did.

Something about not being able to afford to eat and staring into your kids' faces as they go hungry is compelling to me. Furthermore, beating the sh*t out of 4 of the top 5 heavyweight fighters on the planet in a row, all the while thinking of your kids never having to want again, is even more compelling.....

and here's the funniest part, it's true. It actually happened.

Yawn. Sorry, but I've seen this formulaic plot thrown up in my face one too many times.

XingTheRubicon
6/6/2005, 11:27 AM
Yawn. Sorry, but I've seen this formulaic plot thrown up in my face one too many times.

Batman begins? ;)

proud gonzo
6/6/2005, 11:34 AM

That Penal Colony export got himself arrested for throwing a phone at a hotel employee.

dude, that's a stupid reason to not watch a movie. That's my mom's logic and the reason when I'm home there's a list of two or three dozen actors she hates and refuses to watch movies they are in.

Hell, everybody knows I'd like to kick sean penn in the junk but that didn't keep me from seeing the interpreter and really enjoying it (and even liking his character)

C&CDean
6/6/2005, 11:38 AM
dude, that's a stupid reason to not watch a movie. That's my mom's logic and the reason when I'm home there's a list of two or three dozen actors she hates and refuses to watch movies they are in.

Hell, everybody knows I'd like to kick sean penn in the junk but that didn't keep me from seeing the interpreter and really enjoying it (and even liking his character)

True. I've watched a couple flicks with Tom Cruise, Susan Sarandon, Alec Baldwin, and Tim Robbins and enjoyed them. Even though I despise the actors themselves.

Sooner51
6/6/2005, 12:48 PM
best as Veal Chop in Safe Men.....................
aka Sasha. :D

JohnnyMack
6/6/2005, 01:30 PM

I didn't say that was the reason I wasn't watching the movie if you'll go back and read. I'm not gonna see the movie because it seems trite and formulaic. The fact that Russell Crowe is an assface is just the icing on the cake.

JohnnyMack
6/6/2005, 01:32 PM

Batman begins? ;)

<dork>Umm there are exceptions for awesome Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Comic Book movies. Fantastic 4 is gonna RMFO!</dork>

AllAboutThe'O'
6/7/2005, 02:55 PM

My favorite Russell Crowe character was when he played "himself" in an episode of "South Park."

jk the sooner fan
6/18/2005, 05:23 PM
ok i saw this today......i thought renee zellweger was actually pretty good, and having lived in Jersey for 2 years, her accent was about as close as a girl from texas is going to get

paul giamatti was great......

russel crowe was russel crowe....it was worth seeing

StoopTroup
1/5/2006, 11:42 PM
I just finished this one.

Terrific Movie.

I'm Irish, I'm a Father, I like boxing, I like guys that can take a punch, I still believe in America and believe you should pay back your welfare and government loans when times are better.

A great movie...

I'll definitely read on about JJB.

william_brasky
1/6/2006, 01:12 AM
http://www.jerrylewiscomedy.com/pix/cinderfella_big.jpg

John Kochtoston
1/6/2006, 06:25 PM

I've always found it interesting that Alec Baldwin played the perfect Jack Ryan, yet Ryan the character and Tom Clancy the author couldn't be further apart on the political spectrum.